- Chapter Five

ᴼᴺᴳᴼᴵᴺᴳ CHOICES © • m.yg
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Friday, 11:00 PM

 

I must've been quite desperate to accept his invitation the night before.

 

'Yes, I was. I don't want to go anyway, I just had no choice.'

 

Thursday night went calm and as always. After I left Ms. Kim and Ha-neul, I rushed to Bo's and excused myself a million times over for 'being sick'. My apologies were so very well received and with that I just went do my work.

 

I had no idea whether Suga was watching over me at that point or not, or when exactly was he doing so, but the fact that he admitted to be protecting me brought me more than annoyance - somehow it brought me sollace, to an extent. So I went on with my night and then with my way back home a little braver than I would've in other circumstances. Of course, I was wary - but I decided to trust him and give him the benefit of the doubt.

 

Now it's Friday and I'm at Bo's again, balancing a wet and alcohol smelling tray on a hand and a damp rag on the other. My mother left for her trip this morning, leaving me a lot of recommendations I didn't plan to follow, such as doing the dishes after every meal - more likely once a day, mom. If that much.

 

Tonight is when the show Suga invited me to will happen. The main rapper was announced on the flyer to start at 1:00 AM - which was exactly when I was supposed to be leaving Bo's. Luckily or not, the attraction of the night was the one to start later, which wasn't unusual. I wasn't an expert in nightlife and clubbing, but I knew the special guests act only started after midnight, usually. The later, the most expected they were. Whoever this rapper was, he seemed to be big. Even though I never heard of him. But then again, I was always the last one to know things.

 

The club wasn't far too, around fifteen minutes walk from here, since both Bo's and the club are located in downtown Seoul where all the nightlife happens. Maybe I could clock-out earlier, if I cleaned everything faster than usual.

 

'Why am I so keen to make it in time? It's not a damn... ew!... date.'

 

"You. Girl."

 

I looked behind me and saw a man sitting at a table, he made a swift move with his finger as though he was calling pesky thing. Used to this kind of behavior, I ignored his rudeness and approached him.

 

"Annyeong, what can I get you?"

 

He pulled his cap lower over his eyes and without sparing me a glance he spoke in a raspy voice.

 

"Whiskey. With cubes."

 

"Coming right up!" I chirped as though he was the nicest costumer.

 

I was about to turn around when a grip on my wrist pulled me backwards.

 

"Make it exceptionally icy, Yuna."

 

I froze on the spot and didn't even feel when he let go of my wrist. I wanted to turn around but my body was stuck. My mind spun. The hairs on the back of my neck and on my arms raised.

 

"Yu-na! Need you at the counter!" I heard my coworker in the back of my thoughts.

 

Putting all my might in it, I managed to stumble to the kitchen without looking back and sit on a chair.

 

"Yu-na? Are you okay?" The voice from moments ago asked.

 

Everything was moving, blurry and sounds were distant. I felt dizzy.

 

"Yu-na?"

 

I felt a hand on my forehead. I vaguely recognized the shadows in front of me as Do-yun and Seo-yeon. Black blotches spotted my vision and my stomach contracted, pushing a burning liquid up my throat. I swallowed dry to keep it down until I couldn't hold it anymore.

 

"Quick! Bring a bucket!"

 

I only had time to bend forward and let it all out. Luckily, someone had thrown a container between my legs in time.

 

Once I vomited, I felt slightly better. At least, my vision and hearing gradually went back to normal. I grabbed the paper towel Do-yun offered me and wiped my mouth. I pushed the hair that was sticking to my forehead backwards and took a big breath.

 

"Yu-na, are you ok?" Seo-yeon asked, concerned.

 

"I'm...I'm fine."

 

Terror still rushed in my veins. Was the man still out there? How did he find me? What did he want? Just to scare me?

 

"I think she's still not recovered of her sickness." Do-yun commented, pushing the bucket away with his foot and scrunching his nose in disgust. Couldn't blame him.

 

"What's going on here?" Bo's owner and our boss walked into the kitchen, probably curious as to why his three employees for the night were nowhere to be seen in a full house. "Yu-na are you alright?"

 

"Y-yes Mr. Myong. I just felt nauseous."

 

"Oh my, you're definitely still not recovered. Tell you what, go home now and hopefully you'll make a full recovery through the weekend. If you feel better on Monday, good, if not, then give me a call and I'll manage someone to replace you meanwhile."

 

I wanted to say thank you, but leaving Bo's at that point was an awfully terrifying idea.

 

"I... I'm okay, I'll just use the restroom and work slow."

 

"Are you sure?" He asked, eyeing me with worry.

 

"Yes, I'm sure." I said, standing up to make a point, but using the table beside me for support.

 

"Alright, but let me know if you're ready to leave, you're perfectly free to!" He said, patting my shoulder and walking out.

 

"I'll take your last order Yu-na." Seo-yeon offered, taking from me the small notepad with the table number and the man's order. "You can go behind the counter and prepare the cocktails for as long as you feel capable."

 

They went back to their duties and I, reluctantly, stepped out of the kitchen - only to find the table where the man sat completely empty. I looked around but he was nowhere to be seen. He had left. Seo-yeon noticed it too, so she shrugged as she walked past me and approached another client.

 

 

 

 

Still feeling weak, I walked to the woman's toilet and pushed the double doors. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and cringed. Sighing, I opened the tap and splashed cold water on my face. I washed the bitter taste off my mouth and made a mental note to go grab a mint gum from my bag, which I did right after leaving the restrooms.

 

I dragged myself to the cocktail counter again, chewing on gum, and spent the next hour preparing several of them, while thinking about how to go from Bo's to the club or even if I should.

 

 

×

 

 

At twenty past midnight, when the movement at Bo's was slower, Mr. Myong popped up next to me.

 

"How are you doing?"

 

"I'm better now, thank you!"

 

"You can go now if you want, Do-yun will replace you. It's pretty dead here now anyway and your shift is almost over."

 

I thought of a way to refuse again, but I couldn't find one and in all honesty, I could use some extra time to manage my way to the club. I decided to go, mostly of course because it was much closer than home and I wouldn't be alone there. The thought of all the distance in the shadows, underground ride home and subsequent loneliness wasn't at all appealing. I would postpone it as much as possible.

 

Now all I needed was some courage to walk to the club, and to choose the crowded streets.

 

"Gamsahamnida, Mr. Myong. I'll be taking up your offer and leaving now." I smiled, using a yellow rag to clean up my wet working station.

 

"Alright Yu-na! Hope you feel better soon! Night!" With that, he retreated.

 

I hung my apron in the kitchen, right where it belong and grabbed my shoulder bag. I bid goodnight to my coworkers and walked out through the back door.

 

The back door led to a dark alley - just my luck - but it was fortunately empty, as far as I could see. I closed the door behind me and stood there, right on the same spot, thinking of my options; I couldn't call Suga to come pick me up, I didn't have his number, but then again would I call him if I had it and would I want his obnoxious company? Either way, that was out of the list of options.

 

I looked up to the main street to find it busy and lively, sparking with neons and yellow streetlights. What were the odds of being attacked among the crowd and in public?

 

'Well, definitely lower than if I stay here in the dark.' I thought to myself, shivers running up my spine. With that, I was flooded with enough motivation to step out into the main street.

 

I glanced at my phone, half past midnight on point.

 

I dodged drunken teens and rushing, late-night workers. I headed further downtown, where the club was located, keeping my head low but searching the crowd for any suspicious looking person as I crossed the streets.

 

 

 

 

In the rush, a woman bumped her shoulder against mine, which made me spin halfway around - as I did, I spotted him: some meters behind me and walking amidst the crowd, I recognized his dark red cap and baggy denim coat. The man from Bo's.

 

Quickly, I turned and kept walking, faster this time. There was a ring in my ears that made every other external sound seem out of place. The lights blinded my tear blurry vision. I bumped against another twenty people in the process and didn't find the voice to apologize. He was following me and he was going to take whatever next chance he found to grab me and drag me to an alley, I was sure of it. I dared to look backwards, only to be desperate some more, as I saw he was closer now. His eyes preyed on me, his nose and mouth hidden behind a black face mask.

 

My breaths came in bulky huffs, sweat started to form on my forehead. For some reason, life hated me enough to shove a red light at the next crosswalk in front of me. I pondered crossing the street either way, but the cars rushing past were so many that I didn't dare. Every second that went past, I could feel him getting closer - maybe I was going crazy, but I could tell his heavy footsteps apart from everyone else's as he stomped closer, so much closer.

 

A car rolled past slower and I was shown his reflection on it. He stood right behind me, to my left. This was it, he was going to point a knife at my ribs and whisper at my ear not to say a word and go with him. No one would see, in this busy night. No one would suspect a thing. I was dead.

 

'No.' I thought to myself, suddenly thinking of my mother. 'I'm not going to die tonight, not like this.'

 

I looked around and scanned my surroundings. The street to my right wasn't so busy, which gave me the chance to run and hide somewhere. I didn't know what I'd do next, but I needed to do 'something'. Full of courage I'm not sure where I bought it, I slid between the people standing to my right and crouched as much as I could. I didn't look back and somehow, once I was untangled from the crowd that gathered on the sidewalk waiting to cross, I found the strength in my legs to sprint for the life of me.

 

I ran down the street, dodging people as I could. I looked back for a split second and didn't see him. It gave me the motivation to keep running. I turned a block, trying to geo-locate myself mentally. I was still going the club's way, just following another route. I turned a second block and jogged slower. He was nowhere to be seen.

 

I wiped the sweat from my face with the sleeve of my jumper and leaned against the wall of an apartment block. This street wasn't so busy with people, but it was rushing with cars. I took a second to calm myself down and look at my phone. 12:38 AM, I still had time, but none for stalling. I needed to start walking to the club and fast.

 

Before I could take a step in the right direction, I felt a cold hand clamp over my mouth and an arm wrapping around my waist. I was pulled backwards into the alley, as I thrashed and kicked, my yelling muffled.

 

The man had caught me. It was the end. My stomach felt heavy and ice cold.

 

'I don't want to die.'

 

Was my only capable thought.

 

I was forcefully spun around and pinned against the wall. The hand was still clamped over my mouth, but my body was rather free. I looked up to my attacker... and the urge to roll my eyes was severe.

 

'Are you flippin' kidding me?'

 

"Annyeong."

 

Suga greeted, a little too close for my liking. In fact, his body was pressed against mine and his face was mere inches from my own.

 

"Annyeommphh." I greeted back dryly, behind his hand.

 

"Oh." He said, his minty breath with a fading hint of cigarettes fanning my face. I could make out some little freckles over his button nose.

 

He pulled his hand away and shoved it into his jacket's pocket. His other hand was at the left side of my head, flat against the brick wall. As close as he was, I couldn't but see he was wearing a black face mask, which now was tucked under his chin, allowing the view of his whole face.

 

"I understand this whole kidnapping style of popping up is some sort of a twisted of yours, but we definitely don't share that kink. I'm not a fan of asphyxophilia. So just freaking stop before I have an actual heart attack."

 

"Asphyxowhat?"

 

"Never mind."

 

"You talk too much so three, two, one... Never minded."

 

"Stop trying so hard to be funny. You're a failure."

 

"You wish I'd bother to try." He side-smirked.

 

"."

 

"Annoying."

 

"Stupid."

 

"Idiot."

 

"Moron."

 

"Jerk."

 

"Don't defy me." I hissed.

 

"I wouldn't dare."

 

His eyes bore into mine. He was so close I could feel his breathing pattern and his voice vibrated into my bones.

 

"Whatever 'Sugar'."

 

"Suga. And you're late."

 

I scoffed, stepping aside and away from him.

 

"Late?" I pulled out my phone. "It's still fifteen minutes before 1 AM. If anything I'm earlier than you deserve. And surely that show won't start in time, they never do."

 

"Agust likes priming for good timing." He said in a sing-song voice.

 

"Hopefully you're not thinking of becoming a rapper too. That rhyme was total crap. Maybe learn something from him tonight, will 'ya."

 

He eyed me in a funny way and shrugged.

 

"Shouldn't you be at work anyway? I thought your plan was to play guardian angel while at it."

 

"Soon." He said vaguely, starting to walk. "Let's go."

 

I shook my head hopelessly and followed suit.

 

"Hang on, how come you just freaking popped up right here, right now?!"

 

"I'm a geenie."

 

"Ugh! Stop that crap for a second! I was being followed! I almost died!"

 

"I know."

 

I fumed, balling my wrists. "You 'know'?" I scoffed, irritated. "If you were following me since I left work, as clearly you were, then why didn't you step in earlier!? Is all of this a funny game to you?!"

 

"I stepped in at the right time, right place." He said, matter-of-factly. "They don't know we're in contact. Surprise factor must be kept."

 

"So what you mean, is that you didn't step up earlier not to be seen? To keep your safe?!"

 

"That is definitely not what I said."

 

I tried not to overthink it or take it personally. It wasn't the time to have a hissyfit. In the end, we were nothing to each other so he had no obligation to help me and put his life to risk. As he said, he stepped in at the right time, right place. And that had to be enough. It happened to be enough.

 

"What now?" I asked, looking around. I felt relieved to see the man had lost track of me.

 

"Now we walk." He answered, pulling his face mask in place and pulling my jumper's hood over my head. "And keep on the low."

 

Since I had no choice, I accepted it and followed him.

 

I glanced sideways at him. Tonight he was wearing fully camo pattern, an over sized jacket over a black shirt and baggy pants. His feet were in black and white Nike Air Jordans. Around his neck two silver chains. I couldn't see his mint hair, for it was completely tucked under a black beanie. His face was undeniably attractive and of perfect symmetry, even hidden behind the mask. Not that I'd ever let him know. He didn't need to be even fuller of hims-

 

"You know I'm feeling the abysmal coming from your side, right?"

 

I stopped dead on my track, eyebrows furrowed in awe and mouth forming a perfect 'O'.

 

"You. Disgusting. ert."

 

I declared, slowly and steady so he could absorb the full extent of the aversion I put on each word.

 

He rolled his eyes as he stopped too and turned to face me.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter