- Chapter Eighteen

ᴼᴺᴳᴼᴵᴺᴳ CHOICES © • m.yg
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

MENTAL ASSESSMENT REPORT

 

 

 

PATIENT: M. D.

 

 

CASE: M. D. arrived at the emergency services with his mother, older brother and a family friend, all of which accompanying the patient's father's body. Medical help had been requested following a house robbery situation.

 

 

STATUSES:

M.D: Minor wound to the neck - treated. Exhibiting uncharacteristic anti-social traits and apathy. Under evaluation for further diagnoses. Able to be discharged within: ---

Mother: Physically unharmed. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder diagnosed. Highly prone to Major Depression and Anxiety. Will be evaluated by the Psychiatrist as stress medication appears to be needed. Able to be discharged within: 2 weeks.

Older Brother: Physically unharmed. Selective Mutism - likely temporary. Under evaluation. Able to the discharged within: as soon as speaking.

Father: Deceased.

 

 

REPORT:

M.D. exhibited uncharacteristic anti-social traits and apathy to the situation, which stirred my attention and led to extra evaluation. Upon initial questioning, the patient showed himself surprisingly unbothered by the circumstances of his father's passing. 

M.D. was tested for Sociopathy following all expected parameters and has met x of the x criteria. Mother, brother and family friend were interviewed regarding certain aspects pertaining the patient. 

 

Accordingly to DSM-V, the number of criteria met is sufficient for the diagnose to be made effective as: Antisocial Personality Disorder (Sociopathy) ; 301.7 (F60.2)

 

Of all the criteria, the patient has met the following (bolded):

 

A. Disregard for and violation of others rights since age 15, as indicated by one of the seven sub features:

- Failure to obey laws and norms by engaging in behavior which results in criminal arrest, or would warrant criminal arrest 

- Lying, deception, and manipulation, for profit tor self-amusement,Impulsive behavior

- Irritability and aggression, manifested as frequently assaults others, or engages in fighting (Note: Under evaluation)

- Blatantly disregards safety of self and others, A pattern of irresponsibility and Lack of remorse for actions

B. Conduct disorder was present by history before age 15 (Note: Under evaluation)

D. The antisocial behavior does not occur in the context of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder

 

The patient exhibits as well traits that typical of Psychopathy associated to the Antisocial Personality Disorder. 

 

We can support this statement by looking at the criteria for the diagnosis of psychopathy proposed by Cleckley, of which M.D. meets the following (bolded):

- External charm and remarkable intelligence.

- Absence of hallucinations or other signs of irrational thinking.

- Absence of nervousness or psychoneurotic manifestations.

- Instability, little formality. (Not detected, since patient meets the "deception and manipulation" criteria above)

- Deceiving personality.

- Lack of remorse or feelings of shame.

- Antisocial behavior improperly motivated.

- Insufficient

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter