The Day Before

Lilac (라이락) ♥

            “EunMi, looking forward to Lilac’s debut! Fighting!” EunMi reads from her phone screen, obviously on Twitter. She smiles and types in a reply. She loves replying to people on Twitter. Ever since the news of Lilac’s debut was revealed on various new sites, she has been receiving a ton of tweets from people. The others girls have been, too, but they rarely get on Twitter or they don’t have time.

            “It’s tomorrow!” S.Me gasps at the sudden realization. She turns to Vizio, who is playing on her phone, and speaks in Mandarin, “What if we mess up? What if we ruin Lilac’s image on our first show?”

            Vizio shrugs and replies “Don’t worry so much! We’ll do fine! Unless…you know…the quick, gray fox jumps for the fruit basket.”

            S.Me blinks at her, confused. What did Vizio mean exactly? The quick, gray fox jumps for the fruit basket? What?! S.Me thinks to herself, a frown appearing on her face. Was that supposed to mean something?

            “What?” S.Me replies. She is curious as to what Vizio meant exactly.

            “What?”

            “Is there some wise meaning behind that sentence?”

            Vizio looks up at her, “Behind what sentence?”

            “The quick, gray fox jumps for the fruit basket.”

            Vizio laughs, “Such a creative little girl, aren’t you? That’s a funny sentence! Where’d you come up with that at?”

            S.Me just stares at her, dumbfounded by the situation. Vizio goes back to playing games on her phone while chuckling at S.Me. As S.Me sits there, staring at Vizio, EunMi walks up and sits on the chair across from them, her usual ‘if someone  touches me, they’ll die’ look she has when she just wakes up is on her face. S.Me looks at her and starts to talk, but refrains from doing so, fearing she’ll end up like road kill.

            “So,” EunMi starts to speak after a couple minutes of observing the room and waking up, “tomorrow is our show?”

            “Tomorrow is our show,” S.Me replies, talking in Korean like EunMi. Vizio just shrugs her shoulders, focused on the game.

            “I spoke to manager oppa,” EunMi states. Vizio hears the words ‘manager oppa’ and looks up, curious. “He said that we’ll be ‘battling’ against some other stars to show our true potential. Remember how Sungmin was on Star King?”

            S.Me nods, “Will we be doing a duet? Like…like how Charice-ssi did with Kyuhyun sunbaenim that time? That was beautiful! You should sing with someone!”

            “I probably won’t.”

            “Why not? EunMi-yah, you are a great singer! You don’t ever show your skills…” S.Me looks at her, frowning. “If you did, you’d feel better about your career.”

            Sub-vocal. I’m that. Nothing more, nothing less.”

            “I’m going to call Jessica-ssi and tell her you’re being-“

            “Stop threatening me with Sica unnie!” EunMi whines, putting her head in her hands. S.Me always manages to threaten EunMi with Jessica, Sungmin, Donghae, or even Doojoon – those are some of EunMi’s closest friends.

            “You’ll listen to her!”

            “Listen, Seun-ah,” EunMi starts to tell S.Me, using one of S.Me’s nicknames, “if my talent was so good, why wouldn’t they put me as a lead? I may be a good singer, but Bae Kyon and Vizio unnie are better. That’s that.”

            Vizio tilts her head at EunMi, understanding a good amount of that sentence. She shakes her head a bit and goes back to playing her game. She didn’t want to say anything, afraid that she’d heard the wrong words come out of EunMi’s mouth.

            S.Me, on the other hand, glares at the girl. Why couldn’t EunMi see her true potential? She’s a good singer; she can reach almost the same scales as Vizio and Bae Kyon. She is pretty. She can dance well and can rap well. EunMi just doesn’t understand how skilled she really is. But how could S.Me try and prove that to the girl?

 

            Since tomorrow is the girls’ appearance on Star King to show their true talents and showcase them in an interesting way to viewers, the girls do spend a good amount of time preparing. As S.Me tries to figure out a way for EunMi to portray her talents, she comes up with a few raps, trying to clear her mind and better her free styling skills.

            Bae Kyon and Chaerin sit in their shared room, chatting about random things and what to expect on the show.

            “You never told me where you got this,” Chaerin says, looking at one of Bae Kyon’s rings. It is a pretty one – a silver vine wrapped around the finger with a pink rose that was off-centered. “It looks like a couple’s ring.”

            Bae Kyon chuckles nervously, nodding her head, “It is. I went to look for a ring one day a few months ago – before Lilac got together – and this was the only pretty ring I liked…so I bought it. That sales ahjumma was hard to convince though!”

            “So pretty~” Chaerin coos at the ring, looking over every detail of it. She smiles to herself, wishing she had a couple ring.

            “I wonder who got the other half,” Bae Kyon thinks aloud. She looks over at Chaerin, whose smile looks a bit sad in her eyes. She knows that Chaerin misses seeing Sungmin. Even though the two are a couple, you could sense something between them.

            Fearing to bring up the subject, Bae Kyon forces the words to leave , she says, “Rinnie, have you spoken to Sungmin-ssi or Eunkyo-ssi lately?”

            “I told you they are avoiding me,” Chaerin answers, looking over at Bae Kyon for a second before returning the couple ring to Bae Kyon’s jewelry box.

            “They’re your friends, they-“

            “Are avoiding me? Yeah, I know.”

            “That’s not what-“

            “I know. I just don’t really want to hear some sob story of how they are my friends, blah blah blah…I need to call them or else this will happen or that will happen. I get it.”

            “What if I call them-“

            “I’ll tell everyone that you kissed Jeongmin,” Chaerin simply states, smirking. “And we don’t want that to be found out, now do we?”

            “But it was an-“

            “You’re too innocent and naïve. People would think you’re lying.”

            “No, they-“

            “Trust me, Bae Kyonnie, you don’t want to mess with me.”

 

            “Tomatoes?” Yoo Sawng asks herself, staring at two small tomatoes that are sitting on the counter. “Chaerin hates tomatoes. How about fruit? Or vegetables? No…S.Me really hates vegetables. Aish! When will I find something that everyone likes?”

            “Talking to yourself again?” EunMi asks, sitting on a bar stool. “What are we eating for lunch?”

            “That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” Yoo Sawng replies, looking over at the girl. “What would you like to eat?”

            EunMi thinks for a minute and then smiles wide, “How about some ddokbokki? We haven’t had that in ages!”

            “Ddokbokki?” Vizio asks, walking into the kitchen, yawning. “Yeah?”

            “I guess so,” EunMi answers, smiling. “If unnie will fix us some~”

            “I’d rather have ice cream.”

            “I’d rather have a rice ball,” Bae Kyon says, walking into the kitchen with Chaerin following her.

            “I want spaghetti,” Chaerin says, joining in.

            “What about some more japchae?” S.Me asks. She is the last one to walk into the kitchen.

            “Ddokbokki!” EunMi says loudly. “I already requested it!”

            “But I want a rice ball,” Bae Kyon pouts, trying out the aegyo Chaerin taught her.

           “And I want spaghetti! Even though this is Korea, I still have a right to eat spaghetti!” Chaerin says, pouting with Bae Kyon.

            “Stop!” EunMi whines, covering her eyes.

            “Japchae? Am I alone for that one?” S.Me asks, tapping her foot.

            “Ice cream,” Vizio sing-songs.

            “Rice ball!” Bae Kyon claps.          

            The girls start chanting what they want, getting louder and louder. Finally, Yoo Sawng pulls out a knife and yells,

“YAH! YOU ALL HAVE 5 SECONDS TO SHUT UP AND DECIDE BEFORE I STAB YOU!”

            All the girls shut up and stare at the girl. It isn’t long before Vizio starts to laugh at her reaction, followed by the rest of the girls one by one. Yoo Sawng glares at them, clenching her fist around the knife. Maybe to them arguing loudly was funny and her reaction was hilarious, but to Yoo Sawng: she just wanted to find out what everyone wants to eat.

            “I’m not making lunch. Go buy your own meals,” Yoo Sawng says, putting the knife back in the drawer and pushing past the laughing girls. With that, the girls stop laughing at their eyes follow Yoo Sawng’s trail. Maybe they went too far this time.

            “Unnie! Wait!” Bae Kyon pleads, chasing after the girl. “Can’t you just fix me one rice ball? I’ll do whatever for you!”

 

            The girls once again went back to preparing themselves for tomorrow’s appearance on Star King. JunSeong called not long after the little frenzy the girls had about food. He mentioned again that the girls might duet with a more famous idol or compete against them to show off their talents. At the mention of this, the girls became nervous. Who would they be up against?

            “I see Super Junior and SHINee on Star King a lot; maybe they’ll compete against one of us!” Chaerin says happily, looking at Bae Kyon, who is sitting on her desk chair, painting her nails.

            “That would be cool,” Bae Kyon answers for the thousandth time. She isn’t really paying attention to what Chaerin is saying, she’s focused back on that incident and whether or not she should continue to tell Yoo Sawng about it or not. What incident, you wonder? Don’t you remember? The kiss.

            Chaerin began to notice how Bae Kyon isn’t replying properly and crosses her arms, saying, “Did you know a unicorn suddenly reared up and ran straight towards EunMi unnie, snatching her cheesecake away?”

            “Mhmm. Yeah,” Bae Kyon says, continuing to paint her nails.

            Chaerin blinks for a second and then bursts out laughing, falling back on the bed. She can’t help but find Bae Kyon ridiculous at the moment. She knows that Bae Kyon isn’t listening, but seriously? What’s up with her?

            “Y-Yah!” Chaerin says, trying to stop laughing. When she finally stops, she throws a pillow at the girl. “Hello?”

            The pillow hits the chair and Bae Kyon comes out of her thoughts, turning to Chaerin with an innocent look on her face. “Did you say something?”

            “Yeah, but never mind that. What’s up with you?”

            “What do you mean?” Bae Kyon asks, still with an innocent look on her face.

            “I just asked you if you if you knew that a unicorn stole EunMi’s cheesecake. You said ‘yes’…” Chaerin tells her, trailing off because she is covering with the back of her hand, trying not to laugh.

            Bae Kyon’s eyes widen, “You did? I did? Oh wow.”

            Chaerin nods, “So, what’s up?”

            “Nothing, just….” Bae Kyon hesitates, but suddenly realizes that she can trust Chaerin with this. “I can’t stop thinking about that…thing.”

            “What?”         

            Bae Kyon closes her nail polish and sighs, “That thing. That….that…kiss.”

            “With Jeongmin…what about it? Horrified?”

            “Well…I’m confused,” Bae Kyon confesses, blowing on her nails. She honestly is. That was her first kiss, after all, and she just couldn’t stop thinking about it. What is she supposed to do?

            “That was your first kiss wasn’t it?”

            Bae Kyon nods, looking at her. She wasn’t going to deny it. After Bae Kyon nods, she thinks to herself, What can she say about a first kiss? Has she already had hers? Bae Kyon’s eyes go wide at this thought. Someone younger than her has already been kissed? She knew obviously that is true, but she was shocked. Chaerin is so confusing when it comes to her feelings for boys – did she already have her first kiss?

            “You’ve had your first kiss?” Bae Kyon asks without thinking. She looks at Chaerin, surprised at her own assumptions.

            Chaerin just stares at her blankly, not showing any expression on her face. She sits like that for a few seconds before fidgeting. “Why do you need to know that?”

            “Have you?” Bae Kyon repeats, still assuming the answer is ‘yes’.

            Shockingly, Chaerin shakes her head ‘no’ and looks down. Bae Kyon gasps, her jaw dropping. It wouldn’t be a shock to the others, but Bae Kyon has always assumed that Chaerin knows much more about guys and has more experience…then again, Bae Kyon is a bit too naïve sometimes.

           

            Meanwhile, EunMi, Yoo Sawng, and S.Me are in the kitchen. Yoo Sawng is cooking something (she won’t reveal what) while EunMi and S.Me are singing and rapping at random.

            EunMi starts rapping and singing along to ‘Can’t Nobody’ by 2NE1, the English version of the song, and S.Me dances to the dance, while laughing. Yoo Sawng glances over at the two, grinning. EunMi and S.Me don’t always get along the best, but when they are settled down and calm, they get along perfectly.

            Can’t nobady, can’t nobady, can’t nobady hold us down!” S.Me sings, saying ‘nobody’ in a slightly weird way. EunMi chuckles at this, continuing to perform her parts. After the girls finish, S.Me stares at EunMi, looking her over.

            “You’re creeping me out!” EunMi says to her, frowning at her.

            “Sorry. But what if they ask for girly stuff tomorrow?”

            With that, Yoo Sawng turns to them to join in on the conversation. EunMi continues to frown at S.Me. She starts to think about that. What if they did ask about girly stuff? Would she try and be girly or completely freak out like in real life? She has thought about this before, but now that the time has come for their first television appearance…what would she do?

            “Really, EunMi-yah. Are you going to be a complete tomboy and argue with anyone who suggests us doing something girly? What if that damages our image?” Yoo Sawng asks, looking at her boiling food.

            “I guess not. But I’m not going to just nominate myself to be girly the whole time! That’s not me!” EunMi tells them, grabbing an apple and taking a bite of it. She starts speaking with full. “I mean…I’m a tomboy, not a girly girl. I will dance girly dances, but I won’t do aegyo.”

            “Come on! Aegyo isn’t as bad as you make it out to be,” S.Me tells her.

            “It’s immature and I think it isn’t appropriate, but S.Me-yah is right,” Yoo Sawng agrees.

            EunMi takes another bite of her apple and rolls her eyes. She doesn’t care what anyone says, aegyo is horrible! Why would she think otherwise? Maybe she hates it so much because she can’t do it.

            EunMi sits her apple by S.Me and walks out of the room, heading for the bathroom. S.Me and Yoo Sawng just watch her leave, confused. Did they say something wrong?

            EunMi walks into the bathroom and shuts the door, locking it. She looks at herself in the mirror and frowns. She messes with her hair; pulling it up into a ponytail, making crazy hairstyles, holding her bangs up in a weird way. After a couple minutes of that, she sticks her tongue out at the mirror.

            “Aish!” she whispers to herself.

           She puts her hand up beside her face and makes a ‘peace sign’ and tries to smile cutely and fails. She tries the ‘buing buing’ and does somewhat good, but frowns at her attempt. Could she seriously not do aegyo?

            She puffs her cheeks up and purses her lips while making another peace sign beside her eye. I look…cute. EW! She thinks to herself and immediately stops doing this…aegyo. She shivers at her aegyo and unlocks the bathroom door, opening it and casually walking out.

            I did aegyo, EunMi thinks to herself, smiling slightly. At least now if anyone asks, she can surprise them with it. It would give anyone who knows her a heart attack for sure! Her smile widens and she stops by Chaerin and Bae Kyon’s room, poking her head inside.

            “Annyeong!” she says loudly, looking at the girls.

            “Do you need something?” Bae Kyon asks nicely, turning to her from her chair.

            “Nope,” she shakes her head and smirks, looking at Chaerin. “Tomorrow I will give you a heart attack.”

            With that, EunMi walks to the living room, leaving the girls curious and wondering what she meant. EunMi sits by Vizio on the couch, who is reading the lyrics for ‘My Heart’ the English version.

            “The quick, gray fox jumps for the fruit basket, yeah?” Vizio asks, not looking up from her paper.

            EunMi looks at her, confused. “Are you on drugs or something?”

           

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: First off, I AM SORRY again for taking so long to update! >__<;;

Secondly, I decided to go with 'Star King'. I thought it would better suit the story and how it is progressing. Sound good? Also, I am going to use some of your sentences throughout the next few chapter, so don't worry! I mainly used two sentences my friends gave me.

 

And again, sorry this isn't the best chapter. I have writer's block. Which is a FIRST for me in a loooonng time. ^^;

 

Interactive: Who should the girl's 'duet' or 'battle' against on Star King?