Veneer

Keep the Faith

The next morning, the members woke up to a surprising sight.

Kyuhyun was busying himself in the kitchen, washing the dishes from last night.

"Kyu ah... What are you doing? You should be resting!" Eunhyuk exclaimed, taking the plate out of Kyuhyun's hands.

Kyuhyun smiled at him, "I am all right, hyung. I slept alot yesterday. And I haven't been doing my share of chores recently."

A hand reached out and pulled Kyuhyun away from the sink, "You still look very pale! Get more rest, we don't want you fainting on us again!" Donghae said as he made Kyuhyun sit on the sofa.

Kyuhyun laughed, "I am really all right! I have been doing nothing but rest recently. It's time for me to start doing something."

Ryewook grinned as he hovered in front of Kyuhyun, "You laughed! Kyuhyun! I missed your laughter soooooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhh!"

The rest nodded their heads in agreement. It has been a long time since they heard the maknae's laughter.

"Well, my laughter will resume from now on, don't be annoyed by it." Kyuhyun joked.

Ryewook and Sungmin roared in laughters, happy and absolutely relieved that their brother is returning to his old self.

But unlike the two innocent boys, the older members looked at each other skeptically. Is Kyuhyun really okay? Or is he just putting on a false front for their sake?

Leeteuk stood at the corner and sighed as he looked on. He knew Kyuhyun too well, way too well. The laughter, the smiles, the joyful words are not enough to cover the tingle of sadness in his eyes. As a leader, he had learnt to observe s closely - to know when they are doing well and when they are pretending to be doing well. He had learnt what makes each of them tick, and what can break them terribly. To him, Kyuhyun's attempt to hide his trouble is unfruitful. Even when his face breaks into a wide smile, Leeteuk knows, with just one look, that Kyuhyun is still far away from doing well.

 

Kyuhyun sighed in relief as he entered his room and closed the door. That was tough... Having to put on a tough front in front of his hyungs. He had a feeling that he did not entirely manage to convince all of them.

He threw himself on the bed, feeling feeble. As a matter of fact, he had not slept a wink since he woke up from the dream. As tired as he was, thoughts kept running through his head and he could not seem to fall asleep no matter how hard he tried. He felt horrible, both physically and mentally. But he would not show it to his hyungs. He did not want to trouble or burden any one of them... What if they got sick of his moody self and decide to leave him? He could not allow that to happen... He did not think he could hold it together if one more person was to walk out of his life.

"Be happy Kyu... Smile..." He muttered to himself, "Nobody will want a unhappy person."

"Kyuhyun?" A voice called out from the other side of the door.

Kyuhyun sat up immediately, "Yes?"

The door opened to reveal a concern Leeteuk.

"Yes hyung?" Kyuhyun asked with a bright smile on his face.

"Are you okay?" Leeteuk asked as he closed the door behind him.

"I am okay hyung, thanks for taking care of me last night." Kyuhyun said as cheerfully as he could.

Leeteuk sat down on the bed beside him, "Don't bother Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun looked at him in confusion.

"Don't bother with the false front when you are with me. I know you are breaking inside." Leeteuk said as he looked at the maknae straight in his eyes.

Kyuhyun froze, not knowing what to say, "Wh... What are you talking about hyung?

"I am disappointed, Kyuhyun. That you don't seem to trust us enough despite our years of friendship. We went through so much together as a team, and we will go through this with you, Kyu. There's no need to pretend that everything is all right, when they are not."

Kyuhyun looked at Leeteuk, pondering over his next move. He saw the sincerity and concern in Leeteuk's eyes. For a moment, he was tempted to pour out everything to him. However, he stopped himself just in time. He could not burden Leeteuk with what was on his shoulders. As the leader of the group, he had enough troubles to deal with. No... He could not imagine what will happen to him if Leeteuk was to find him a nuisance one day... And left him.

"I am okay hyung. You are thinking too much. I am upset, yes, but I am getting better." Kyuhyun replied, maintaining the chirpiness in his voice.

Leeteuk sighed, obviously still unconvinced, "If you say so..."

He stood up to leave, but paused as he was about to open the door. He turned around to face Kyuhyun, "You know that we love you, don't you?"

Kyuhyun nodded his head.

"Anytime Kyu... Anytime you are ready to share." He said softly and left the room.

Leeteuk sighed as he closed the door behind him. There was definitely something more to this... And he has to find out, as quickly as possible, before the maknae falls apart.

--

How's the story so far? It's my first time writing a fanfic here. Give me comments so I can improve accordingly! =)