Verge

Keep the Faith

The press conference ended hurriedly. The members rushed back into the van, before the reporters could catch up with them. Kyuhyun was already sitting in the van, waiting for them.

"Kyu ah..." Donghae called out as he placed his hand on the maknae's shoulder.

Kyuhyun looked up at him with a weak smile.

"Are you all right, Kyu?" Leeteuk asked in concern.

Kyuhyun nodded his head, "I am fine, hyung. Don't worry about me."

But his red and puffy eyes seem to contradict with his words.

"Those darn reporters don't know what they are talking about, " Heechul said, angrily, "Just ignore them!"

The rest nodded in agreement.

"All right, all right, "The manager called out, "We are heading back to the hotel. All activities today have been cancelled, so go have a good rest before things get busy again tomorrow."

The ride back to the hotel was filled with silence. All of them know that the maknae must be hurting inside, but yet they are unsure of what to say. They could only pray that people will gradually forget about this and stop bothering him about it.

Out of all of them, Leeteuk understands Kyuhyun's pain the best. He held on tightly to Kyuhyun's hand throughout the ride, hoping to be able to ease the pain. And deep inside, he fear that Kyuhyun would draw away again and break down completely. He wanted to protect the maknae from all the harm, but he felt so helpless as he could do nothing much.

 

Leeteuk sighed as he sat down on his bed, flipping through a magazine with little interest. Kyuhyun was sitting at the other corner, concentrating hard on the book in his hand. Leeteuk wondered if Kyuhyun really is reading or is he just trying to avoid talking to him. He has yet to say a single word since they reached the hotel. Both their phones have been ringing non stop though, probably from the reporters who are trying to dig something out of this. Leeteuk had switched off both their phones, the last thing Kyuhyun needed now is more questions.

"Kyu, are you hungry? You haven't eaten anything at all." Leeteuk asked, not being able to stand the silence anymore.

Kyuhyun merely shook his head.

Leeteuk sighed. It was like Kyuhyun was closing up again, going back to the period when his grandfather passed away.

"Talk to me Kyu, hyung wants to help." Leeteuk said, "you can shout, you can cry, do anything you want Kyu."

Kyuhyun gave a small smile to Leeteuk, "I am fine hyung, dont worry about me."

He stood up, putting the book on the table, "I'm tired hyung, let's sleep early tonight."

Although unconvinced, Leeteuk said nothing else. He nodded and followed Kyuhyun onto the bed, hoping that things will be better tomorrow.

 

"You ungrateful bastard!" Kyuhyun's father shouted out angrily.

Kyuhyun squatted down at a small corner of his old house. He was trembling in fear, tears flowing down his cheeks. He wanted to shout, but could not seem to find his voice.

His father pulled out the familiar belt from the cupboard, whacking him non stop. The pain was indescribable, both physically and mentally.

"Hit harder! He deserves it!" Another voice called out from behind.

Kyuhyun looked up and saw that it was the reporter from earlier today. The next thing he knew, more and more people were gatherer in front of him, some were shouting at him, some were mocking at him, hundreds of cameras seem to be flashing non stop as he curled up into a ball, sobbing his heart out. But nobody cared.

"Unfilial imbecile!"

"Ungrateful hypocrite!"

Kyuhyun sat up in his bed, cold sweat were dripping down non stop from his face. Or was it tears? He was not sure. He turned his head to look at Leeteuk, and was relieved to see that he was sleeping soundly.

He stood up and went into the bathroom, splashing water onto his face. He could still feel his heart pounding against his chest. Fear gripped his heart as he thought of his horrible dream. He thought his nightmare was over when his grandfather took him under his care. Why did it have to come back to haunt him once again?

He on the tap, letting the water run into the bathtub. Maybe he will feel better after a hot bath. He did not even bother to take off his clothes as he stepped into the bathtub as the water continued to run. He lied down, feeling the warmth of the water against his skin. It felt so good... So warm. If only the world was such a warm place. The water was filling fast, reaching his neck. But he did not care, it felt too good. Maybe if he stay in there forever, the coldness of the world will never touch him again.