Minhye Descends

Do You Believe in Destiny?

Note from the author: To save confusion, everything said in ENGLISH will be in BOLD font.

*I’m so glad it’s the summer holiday*, you smile to yourself as you take another sip of your mocha at the airport, *No school for a month!  I’m going to enjoy every moment of it!*

After waking up late this morning, you had quickly shoved on a pair of bleached denim shorts, a baggy black Undefeated t-shirt tucked in at the front, over the knee black socks with white stripes around the top and a pair of black, grey and white hightops.  Thankfully your hair was still acceptably wavy from yesterday, so you had quickly sprayed it with some texture spray before rushing out the door with only your purse, phone and sunglasses.

Looking up at the board you see that Minhye’s flight are collecting luggage.  *Not long now*, you excitedly bounce as you take another gulp of coffee.  From your perfectly placed seat in the cafe you watch as people begin to slowly appear through the doors.  Ten minutes later you see a familiar person emerge, so you down the remains of your mocha and grab your belongings.

“You’re blue!”, you call as you appear in front of her and grin slyly, “I like it”.

“Thanks”, Minhye beams as she moves her head from side to side, showing off her turquoise ombre, “Do I look like I’m ready to have some fun now?”

“Hells yeah!”, you chuckle as she dramatically flips her hair over her shoulder, “Now give me some lovin’!”

“I’ve missed you, chingu-ya”, she cries as she wraps her arms around you.

“I’ve missed you too, ojingeo”.

You don’t even care that the two of you are drawing lots of attention by pretending to cry in each others’ arms.  Your best friend is finally here.

“So, what first?”, Minhye questions as she lets go of you and retrieves her huge suitcase.

“Home first, seeing as you decided to bring all of England with you”, you lovingly tease before sticking your tongue out.

“YA!”, she retorts playfully, “It’s your mum’s fault!”

Whilst laughing, you link your arm with hers and lead the way out of the airport.  *That’s so typical of mum*, you smile as a small wave of homesickness washes through you.

“I’ve booked us into an amazing nail salon at two”, you finally continue,  “Then face masks, junk food and Song Joong Ki?”

“Perfect!”

            *    *    *

Six hours later the two of you are lying over your beanbags, eyes glued intently to the laptop on the floor in front of you.

I’ll tell them you ran away.  Don’t follow me.

As the scene in front of you escalates, you can’t help but vent your emotions.

“Just do it”, Minhye cries as she attempts to hold back her tears.

If you come with me they’ll kill you.

“She’s only doing it to protect you, babo.  Just do what she says!”, you angrily plead.

We can’t be together now.

The room is filled with the choked sobs emitting from you both.

Go! Go away! I hate you!

Minhye is always the first to cry, and today is no exception.  “Why do you have to be so mean”, she weeps as the tears begin to flow freely down her face, “He loves you!”

Get your dirty hands off me!  Go, you damn fool!

Silence.

Don’t you follow me!

The two of your hold your breath because you know what’s coming.

Don’t go…

As the tears well up in Song Joong Ki’s eyes, you feel your own becoming misty and before you know it you also have a waterfall of tears streaming down your face.

The two of you lay there crying as your hearts crumble into pieces.  You’ve watched ‘Werewolf Boy’ together a million times, but this scene always pulls on your heart strings.

“I just want to give Joong-Ki a hug”, Minhye sniffles as the tears begin to subside, “I’d never let him go”.

You wipe your eyes with the sleeve of your hoodie: “Me too”.

Minhye looks at you suspiciously before pushing herself across the floor towards her bag.  After a minute of rummaging, she pulls out an old notebook that you recognise instantly.

“No way!”

“Yup.  Found it whilst I was packing”.

Taking the notebook from her grasp, you flip through the pages filled with doodles and lists.  *This sure brings back memories*, you smile as the still strong smell of sharpies creeps up your nose.

“Give it here a second”.

You chuck the book back to her.  After searching through the pages for a few moments she comes to a stop.

“AHA!”. she triumphantly declares whilst holding the book up for you to see, “Joong Ki is on my list!”

“What?  I don’t remember coming to that agreement!”, you protest, feeling like you’ve been cheated somehow.

Minhye looks back at the book and scans through the list again:  “Yup, I remember it clearly now.  You let me have Song Joong Ki because I gave you Lee Minho”.

“You’re such a good friend”, you muse before shuffling forward to get a glimpse of the book too.  You had completely forgotten all about the list.

“Who’s Gong Yoo?”, Minhye asks without taking her eyes off the book.

You could never forget Gong Yoo.  His voice still lingers in your dreams at night.

Whether you’re a man or an alien, I don’t care anymore.  I tried to get rid of my feelings, but I couldn’t.  So let’s go, as far as we can go.  Let’s give it a try.

Your heart flutters just thinking about it and you let out a long sigh before responding: “Coffee Prince”.

“Ahhhh, you were completely obsessed with that drama back then”.

“I really was”, you reminisce whilst making a mental note to watch it again, “And you were completely in love with um… who was it… Seo In Guk!”

“OMO!  I totally was!”

Without saying another word you jump to your feet, skid across to your iPod dock and scroll through the list of artists before pressing play.

Minhye gasps in delight, “Do you remember?”

“How could I forget?”, you reply whilst holding your hand out for her, “Shall we?”

As the chorus of ‘Shake It Up’ fills your small apartment, the two of you begin doing your best Dad dance moves and laughing like you have no cares in the world.

            *    *    *

“JAE!  JAEEEE!”

A loud voice at the door wakes you up abruptly the next morning.  The two of you had literally danced yourselves to sleep last night after spending hours in memory lane.  

“Who is it?”, Minhye asks groggily from amongst her covers on the floor.

Rolling over you are surprised when it is not her face you are met with, but instead an alpacas’.

“I don’t know”, you reply to Ace as you carefully make your way across the room, “What time even is it?”

After some ruffling, you hear Minhye’s voice again: “9am”.

“Urg”, you groan in response before slowly opening the door, squinting your eyes in the late morning sun, “Hello?”

“Finally!”, the voice declares exasperatedly, “And to think we brought you breakfast!”

As your eyes adjust to the light, you can make out three figures huddled on the stairs.

“Are you going to let us in?”, Sehun continues, “It’s hot out here!”

Without saying a word you shut the door.

“Minhye”, you whisper loudly as you pace towards your desk, “It’s them!”

She quickly spirals out of her duvet sushi roll and pushes herself to her feet: “What?”

“I don’t know… Just get dressed”.

You can hear the confusion outside.

“Jae?”, Suho’s voice calls gently through the keyhole.

After quickly shoving on your clothes from yesterday, you plod your way back towards the door whilst tying your hair loosely into a side plait. 

Glancing around, you make sure Minhye is safely in the bathroom before letting them in: “Sorry about that, you woke us up”.

“Here”, Chanyeol smiles as he passes you the largest cup of coffee you have ever seen. 

“Thank you”, you gratefully beam before turning to and empty handed Sehun, “I thought you said you brought us breakfast?”

“We did”, he smirks as he leans his slender frame against the fridge.

You stare at him blankly for a short moment before continuing confused: “Did you eat it already?”

“It’s in the van”, Suho asserts happily as he appears with a second smaller cup of coffee, “Where’s Minhye?”

Evidently hearing her name, Minhye slowly and shyly makes her way out of the bathroom before heading to the small cluster of people in the kitchen.  She is wearing royal purple denim shorts with  a white slogan t-shirt stating ‘You Can Sit With Us’ cut into tassels which have been tied up neatly into a pattern from the hip down.  Her ombre hair has been tied into two french braids and she has completed the look with a straw fedora.

“Everyone, meet Minhye”, you smile in encouragement, “Minhye, this is Chanyeol, Suho and Sehun”.

Minhye bows politely in response but remains silent.

“Here”, Suho smiles kindly as he passes the cup to her, “We assumed that not everyone can consume as much caffeine as Jae, so we got you a small caramel latte instead”.

Minhye giggles lightly in acknowledgement of your caffeine addiction before responding: “You’re right, thank you”.

“So”, you interject with your eyebrows raised, “Why is our breakfast in the van?”

The three of them look at each other and chuckle knowingly.

“You’re going to need your swimsuit”, Chanyeol excitedly beams making the skin around his eyes crinkle cutely, “We’re going somewhere really fun today”.

            *    *    *

Just over an hour later the eight of you are singing merrily to U-KISS’s ‘Neverland’ as the van speeds down an unknown road.  As usual, Minhye had started reserved, but as she became comfortable in her new surroundings she had blossomed into the Minhye that you know and love.

“DoraDora next please”, she yells happily across the racket to D.O. who is acting as resident DJ.

You still have no idea where you are going, but as instructed you are now wearing a cute burnt orange floral bikini under your shorts and t-shirt.

“Five minutes”, their manager calls from the front seat, which is met by an array of cheers.

Looking out the window you survey the area in hopes for a clue of where you are going.  *Nothing*, you sigh as you make sure the top of you bikini is tied sufficiently, *Trees, trees and more tress*.

Before long the manager has turned off the main road and the van is now bumping its way down an unpaved trail.  Up ahead is a large clearing in the trees, so you crane your neck out the open window to have a look.

“OMO!  Chincha?!”, you question in excitement, “Can you undo the roof please?”

Their manager smiles and presses the button.  Once the roof window if open, you stand up to take a better look.

“Minhye!”, you call as your inner child breaks free in the warm summer air, “You’ve got to see this!

Moments later she appears by your side: “NO WAY!  Blob jumping?

I’ve always wanted to try this”, you beam as you wiggle your legs in anticipation.

Not gonna lie, I’m a little bit nervous”, Minhye confesses.

Don’t worry unnie, you’ve got me”, you smile as you wrap your arm around her shoulders, “Plus, your future husband is here”.

Is he?”, she giggles, “So now I know he’s not Chinese and is in EXO-K… Is it Kai?

No more clues for today!

Suho?

You don’t say a word but instead dramatically look off into the distance, hoping that they couldn’t hear or understand you down below.

As the van comes to a halt besides the lake the two of you shimmy back into the van before jumping out the door.

“Ready?”, Chanyeol smiles as he walks with you towards the hire hut.

You look at him completely deadpan before letting an evil expression flash across your face: “I was born ready!”

Hearing footsteps gaining on you, you turn to see Kai and Sehun sprinting towards the water.

“Highest jump wins?”, Kai calls as he passes you.

Rising to the challenge you and Chanyeol sprint after him: “You’re on!”

As you reach the waters edge, you look behind to make sure Minhye is alright.  You let out a breath of relief once you see that she is happily talking with Baekhyun, Suho and D.O.. 

Suddenly you feel a pair of strong arms wrap around your waist and you are carried into the water.

“YA!”, you protest as you try to wriggle free, but it is no use, “Put me down!”

You captor does not listen, but instead begins to walk into the lake.  The cool water feels somewhat refreshing against your calves, though you wish you were feeling it under different circumstances.

“Yeollie!”, you giggle nervously, “What are you doing?”

Instead of answering, he motions to throw you into the air.  You think you are fated to plummet into the liquid below, but are surprised when he puts you down gently, letting the water lap softly against your thighs.

“I can’t believe you actually thought I was actually going to throw you in”, he asserts whilst pretending to be hurt, “I’m not Kris, you know”.

You look at him quizzically and think about this for a second.  You don’t know why, but you get the feeling that Chanyeol would never intentionally do anything to hurt you, no, to hurt anyone.  For some reason, Kris doesn’t make you feel as safe.  *Is Kris the ‘bad boy’ that I’m destined to fall for?*, you question yourself before realising your mistake and laughing slightly, *Nah, there’s nothing ‘bad boyish’ about him*.

“Lets go.  The others are waiting”.

As Chanyeol turns to leave, you quickly grab his shoulders and pull yourself onto his back, wrapping your legs around his stomach and your arms around his neck delicately.

“Jae?”, he stumbles forward in surprise.

You warmly smile at him before pointing with your right arm: “To the shore!”

“Araso”, he chuckles whilst supporting your weight with his arms, “To the shore!”