Chapter 17

No Reason For Loving

AN: I have uploaded 2 chapters today, so do be sure to read chapter 16 before reading this! (: 

-----

September 2015, One week later

“Hey, so did you hear? PD-nim is trying to squeeze our filming schedule so that we can take a break during Chuseok.” Soobin told the rest of the group as Hakyeon and Won-Guen were sitting down for their lunch break at the cafeteria.

“Really?” Haena exclaimed. “Yes! I would love to go home for the break.”

“Is that why he seems to be rushing us all the time with our takes?” Jisoo commented as he dug into his food.

Soobin shrugged. “Probably. And I guess that’s probably why Eunji-unnie was called to shoot her take now even though its lunch time.”

“Well, I wouldn’t mind having less breaks if it will mean that we get to finish filming earlier,” Haena commented. “I haven’t seen my family in a while, I really miss them.”

“Is it a huge thing in your family? Celebrating Chuseok.” Hakyeon asked.

“Not really religious or anything,” Haena shook her head. “But it’s an excuse for the family to get together, and I love such stuff.”

“It’s a huge thing for my family too,” Won-Guen interjected. “The gathering together part.”

“Hey Hakyeon, do you get to go home for Chuseok usually? I mean, given VIXX’s busy schedules and all.” Jisoo asked curiously.

Hakyeon considered it. “Depends really on our schedules. But we usually try to arrange for a couple of days off during that period. Most of the boys live in Seoul so they get to go home for a couple of days.”

“Oh yes, you stay pretty far out from Seoul right?” Won-Guen asked. “Busan?”

“Changwon,” Hakyeon clarified. “Little city beside Busan.”

“Oh Eunji is the one from Busan,” Soobin corrected Won-Guen. “She was telling me the other day that because of the distance she doesn’t get to go home often too.” Soobin shrugged. “Don’t know if she will head home since there is a break.”

“Whatever it is, I’ll be glad for a break,” Jisoo said, laughing. “Even if it’s just to catch up on sleep. I’ve never had so many scenes that required dawn or the sun rising,” he made a face.

Everyone at the table laughed. It was a running joke that Jisoo was always late for his takes that were done in the early morning – and there were plenty of those. He somehow just could not wake up despite multiple efforts on Won-Guen and Hakyeon’s part to do so. Hakyeon laughed along, but had a thought forming in his head.

I wonder if Eunji would like some company heading home during the Chuseok break?

-----

September 2015, Three days later

“Hakyeon…”

Hakyeon looked up and saw Eunji making a face as she walked towards him. He pulled out one side of his earpiece as he sat up on the couch to make space for Eunji to sit. They were playing the ‘waiting game’ as usual, waiting around before their take. If he was not goofing around with the others or memorizing his lines, Hakyeon would then usually be on his Ipad watching dance videos or monitoring VIXX’s dance choreography. Being heavily involved with filming and away from the other members is still something that he was not used to, and he also wanted to be up to speed on their rehearsals and practices once he got back.

“Hakyeon…” Eunji whined again as she tugged on his t-shirt sleeve. “I’m so bored!”

Hakyeon chuckled to himself as he paused the video that he was watching. Eunji, in so many ways, was similar to his dongsaengs; in particular, Jaehwan and Hyuk. Their attention span was as low as the floor, and constantly needed to be occupied by something if not they would entertain themselves and be up to mischief.

“So I figure that you have disturbed everyone on set already?” Hakyeon teased.

Eunji made a face before Hakyeon’s Ipad distracted her. “What are you watching? Or is it something secret that I cannot see?”

Hakyeon showed her the Ipad screen. “I’m just watching some dance videos. Trying to get inspiration for choreography for our new comeback.”

Eunji’s eyes widened. “When are you having your comeback?”

“Likely in November.” Hakyeon glanced around to make sure there was no one else nearby before he leaned in to whisper to Eunji. “We are actually working on a full length album.”

“Really? So exciting!” Eunji exclaimed. “I love new music!”

Hakyeon laughed. “Yeah, it is exciting. So I’m trying to catch up and not lose touch even while I’m here so that I can jump right back in once I get back.”

“Wow, sounds tiring. Are you not going to take a short break first?”

Hakyeon nodded. “Probably during Chuseok.”

“Oh…” Eunji nodded as she settled back into the cushions on the couch.

Hakyeon cleared his throat and glanced at her. “Ah, are you heading home for Chuseok?”

Eunji turned to look at him. “Me?” She shrugged. “I’m not sure yet. I usually do, but I haven’t made any plans yet.”

“Oh okay.” There was a pause before Hakyeon spoke. “So err, I was wondering. If you have plans to head home for Chuseok… Would you like some company?”

Eunji turned to look at Hakyeon strangely.

“I mean, we could take the train to Busan together,” Hakyeon clarified hurriedly. “I’ll have to do that anyway and then grab a bus from Busan to Changwon, so I thought maybe we could both go together.”

Eunji broke out into a laugh. “I nearly thought you wanted to come home for Chuseok with me,” she said between laughs. “And I was wondering if I missed out something and we become lovers or something.”

Hakyeon blushed as he joined in her laughter, wildly waving his hands to indicate no. “No, no that’s not what I meant!”

“Oh, how embarrassing!” Eunji put her two hands against her cheeks as she calmed down after the laughs. Hakyeon chuckled at the sight of her, his face still flushed.

Eunji tilted her head slightly as she considered. “I’m not sure of my plans yet,” she told Hakyeon apologetically. “So I can’t give you a definite answer.”

Hakyeon shrugged as he tried to maintain a poker face. “No worries,” he said easily. “You can just let me know and I can get the tickets.”

Eunji gave him a wistful smile as she signed an ‘OK’ sign to him. But Hakyeon noticed that it was not a genuine smile like before.

-----

September 2015, The night before

“Encore, Encore, Encore…”

Cha, this is the final song for tonight. Please sing along, this is All for You.”

In Guk smiled as cheers and screams erupted after his announcement and the first few notes of the song started to play. After singing nearly 25 songs, In Guk was at the tail end of his mini concert and, needless to say, exhausted. He was grateful to the crowd of fans that showed up for the cozy affair – he had not been aggressively promoting songs of late due to his busy filming schedule, and he was glad for the opportunity to make up to his fans for it. His first love was singing, but he also caught the acting bug and hence was always conflicted as to the balance between being both a singer and an actor in his own right.

“For you, only for you
I might not be able to give you the whole world but
Now I will promise only to you
I will be a person who is only for you…”

This is his usual encore song, which initially In Guk found ironic – it is the original soundtrack for his first television drama series after all. He was once asked in an interview why he liked to use the song, and he shared easily that it as it was a duet, he liked that fans could participate in singing it together with him and also create a duet as well. In Guk was quite proud of himself for the analogy, which was half-truth.

But the other side of the truth, and perhaps the one that was more personal and close to his heart, was because it made him feel like there was always a part of her that was still with him wherever he is – experiencing the success of each concert, and feeling the love from his fans. Closing his eyes and hearing her voice on the backing track – he could almost imagine her being there next to him. With their infrequent meet ups and busy schedules, sometimes this was all he had to get by.

“You don’t know but it was a bit hard for me
Am I the right person for you?
And even if I’m not the one but it’s another person
I want to throw away that feeling now…”

But today as he sang, In Guk felt empty and more depressed as he went on. He struggled to keep his composure and not let it show, but instead of the comfort that the song used to bring, every word that he sang now sounded like a desperate cry from his heart. Nothing felt worse than this – remembering how much fun they had recording the song, and the first time they sang it live together…

“Are you feeling cold?” In Guk asked as he noticed Eunji rubbing her folded arms. They were waiting backstage for their turn to showcase their special stage – two songs that they re-recorded for the original soundtrack for Reply 1997.

Eunji shook her head. “Nervous,” she replied, giving him a slight smile. “I’ve never done this without the other members before.”

In Guk placed his hands on her shoulders and gave her a reassuring smile. “Well, I’m here. And you will do great.”

Eunji took in a deep breath and looked up at him, giving him her cute smile that always made his heart beat wildly. “Thank you.”

Just then, they were ushered to take their places on stage, and their started their first song. And of course, Eunji did great; she hit all her notes perfectly and her dynamic range was mind-blowing. Towards the end of the song, they faced each other as they sang the last line together. In Guk forced himself to stare straight into Eunji’s eyes, unflinching as he tried to communicate how much he meant what he was singing to her; as himself, In Guk, and not as his character or for performance sake. To her credit, Eunji stared right back, but he could tell that she was getting shy. Judging by the way the crowd cheered, In Guk knew that they had successfully brought out the emotions of the song.

The next song was more lively and fun, and In Guk enjoyed the warmth and feel of her hand in his as they walked towards the audience. He was surprised that she continued to hold his hand even after the she started singing her part – where they initially rehearsed to let go. Thankfully, he did not stumble over his words, and recovered quickly to try and calm his wildly beating heart.

“I want to look at only you forever…”

In Guk could never forget that last line when they ended the song staring into each other’s eyes, and to the cheers of the crowd. It was the moment when the real world faded away and In Guk saw the endless possibilities of being with a girl like Eunji.

It was the moment when In Guk knew deep in his heart that Eunji was the one for him.

“It’s only for you just wanna be for you
You just need to stay
by my side just as you are right now
Even if I’m born again,
I want to look at only you forever…”

Kamsamida, have a good night.” In Guk bowed politely as he thanked his fans and turned to walk quickly off the stage before anyone noticed his bright eyes.

Backstage, In Guk thanked his production crew for a job well done before finally making it back to his dressing room. He sank down onto the couch, thankful for the quiet after the tiring night. He contemplated for a while, before whipping out his phone to send a text message.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Eunji. I have just ended my mini-concert tonight and we sang All For You as the last song. It brought me to remember the fun we shared when we recorded it. Do you remember? Anyway, while I was singing it, the words struck me hard and I realized that I do mean every word of the song, especially now. I will be a person who is only for you. Please don’t just let our love die like that. I’m not ready for it. There is so much more to us. If you feel the same way, even if it is just 1%, please meet me at our train station the night before Chuseok, just like how we’ve done the past few years. I will wait for you.”

----------