Chapter 16

No Reason For Loving

September 2015, The same day

“Hey,” Eunji greeted Taekwoon as she stepped out to their balcony where Taekwoon was standing and looking out to the scenery. “Wow, the view here is amazing!”

Taekwoon smiled at her. “You can see the harbour from here,” he pointed out to Eunji.

“Ah… yes,” Eunji took in the sights. “VIXX must really be doing very well,” she teased.

“We have been very fortunate,” Taekwoon replied modestly.

Both of them stood at the balcony in silence for a while before Eunji spoke. “Thank you for the dinner, it was really delicious. Do you cook a lot?”

Taekwoon looked shy. “I cook often for the boys. Most of them were very young when they became trainees and didn’t get a chance to really learn how to cook. Since it’s something that I enjoy, I like to do it for them.”

Eunji smiled at him. “You really are like a big brother looking out for them, huh? You don’t say it, but your actions sure show it.”

Taekwoon blushed. “We have been very lucky to have fitted in so well with each other that it’s like family.”

Eunji laughed. “Yeah, that’s the vibe I’ve been getting too. And I guess it’s a good thing too right, seeing how you guys are practically living on top one another.” She grew serious. “So how have you been, Taekwoon? It’s been a while since we met. Oh, by the way, congratulations on LR!”

“Thank you. It has been quite busy, but really fun.”

“Yeah I can tell. Your eyes shine whenever you talk about music. I noticed that the last time too,” Eunji told him. Taekwoon smiled shyly and looked away.

There was another silence again before Eunji spoke. “Have you met any of the old cast since then?”

Taekwoon shook his head. “How about you?”

Eunji shook her head too. “Not for me too. It’s been a pretty hectic year so far, and schedules have been packed back-to-back. For you guys too, right?”

Taekwoon nodded. “It was tiring, but also a sense of achievement having so much say in your music,” he shared. “And Ravi is just amazing too, so musically talented so it’s been fun learning.”

“I’m glad you had the opportunity to do that,” Eunji told him. “Did it feel strange though, working with just Ravi and without the others?”

Taekwoon considered it for a while. “I guess to a certain extent, yes. The atmosphere felt a lot more serious definitely without Jaehwan’s jokes or Hyuk and Hongbin goofing around at the back.”

Eunji laughed. “I can so imagine.” There was a pause. “Do you think that this sub-unit might have formed a certain divide in the group?”

Taekwoon stared at Eunji, unblinking and not understanding. Eunji shrugged. “I mean, the other members might have felt left out, even if they don’t say it. I know I did for a short while when Bomi and Namjoo came out with their sub-unit,” Eunji admitted.

Taekwoon raised his eyebrows. “Really? I didn’t know that.”

Eunji gave an easy laugh. “For a short while, yes. It kind of makes you doubt your worth in the group for a moment,” she shared. “But after that I realized we all have different strengths and areas to explore, so I got over it.”

Taekwoon nodded. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know,” he said softly.

Eunji gave him a smile. “There’s nothing to be sorry for, it’s all part of being in this industry.” She paused. “But it’s a good thought to chew on about your other members,” she advised. “They are probably really proud of you and Ravi, but there could be such thoughts in them as well. You know, just to take note.” Eunji shrugged as she turned to look at the scenery again.

Taekwoon stared at her outline, but deep in thought. His mind flashed back to when he first saw cracks in Hakyeon’s self esteem and confidence at the start of the year. Not to mention Jaehwan. Despite his makeover, jokes and seemingly carefree attitude, Taekwoon knew that Jaehwan still sometimes struggled with his insecurities and doubts. And how about Hongbin and Hyuk, Taekwoon realized, both of whom came into VIXX with the least experience and most uncertainty about what they wanted or were getting into. I should talk this over with Hakyeon, Taekwoon told himself. Hakyeon would know what to do.

Eunji rubbed her arms when the wind blew and Taekwoon snapped out of his thoughts.

“I have a copy of our LR album…” Taekwoon cleared his throat. “I mean, I can give you a copy…”

“Oh really?” Eunji asked in surprise. “You don’t have to, I can go get it from the store too.”

“No, I’ll get it…” Taekwoon disappeared into the apartment. Eunji smiled to herself. Taekwoon was still shy, man-of-few-words Taekwoon. Nothing much has changed, she thought.

Just then, her phone beeped and Eunji saw that it was text from her company’s driver informing her that he is on his way to pick her up. Eunji turned to head into the apartment, and nearly knocked into Hakyeon who was on the way out into the balcony.

“Oh, sorry,” Hakyeon apologized.

“It’s okay,” Eunji assured him. “I was just admiring the beautiful view here. You guys are so lucky!”

“Oh…” Hakyeon replied. “Yeah, we enjoy the view too. Get our inspiration here too sometimes.”

Eunji smiled at him. “So envious,” she said teasingly.

“Well… you guys don’t stay too far away from here either. I’m sure you have a better view.”

Eunji considered it. “But for a 3 year old group, you guys really gained popularity and status fast. And you guys really deserve it, I know how hard you work.”

Hakyeon blushed. “Thank you. So, I saw you and Taekwoon here for a while… did some catching up?” He winked.

Eunji swatted his arm. “Wae, what are you insinuating? Anyway, my driver has just texted to say he is on his way, so I should head downstairs soon to wait for him.”

“Oh sure. I can accompany you down. It’s getting dark,” Hakyeon added before Eunji could protest. Both of them made their way into the apartment.

“Here, Eunji,” Taekwoon the album into her hands as she stepped into the living room. “I hope you enjoy it.”

Eunji smiled at Taekwoon. “Thank you very much. I will listen to it tonight,” she promised. “Anyway, I have got to leave, the driver is on his way. It has been nice catching up with you,” she told Taekwoon sincerely.

“Same here.”

The other VIXX boys gathered around the door to bid goodbye to Eunji as she left. “Thank you for allowing me to disturb you guys,” Eunji said gratefully. “And to share your dinner.”

“No problem!”

“It was nice having you!”

“Do come again if you can!”

“Are you a good cook? Will you cook the next time?”

Hakyeon rolled his eyes at Jaehwan’s last question as he closed the door. Eunji was laughing. “You are so lucky to have such dongsaengs,” she commented to Hakyeon as they made their way to the elevator.

Hakyeon groaned. “You don’t know what its like to lead them,” he whined. “But they are really great,” he admitted, as he and Eunji stepped into the elevator. “They just love to rile me up, somehow it’s their way of showing love.”

Eunji laughed. “That’s kind of how Bomi and I are with Chorong-unnie. She always complains that we are the most difficult to handle in the group, which is true I must admit. But she also knows that she can count on us when it really matters.”

Hakyeon shook his head and sighed dramatically as the elevator reached the ground floor. “Why must people like you make life so difficult for the leaders?” Hakyeon said in a teasing tone.

“It’s so that you guys will always have something to do,” was Eunji’s quick reply. “And face it, we provide the tension-breaker, mood-creator in the group right?”

“Yes, yes you do,” Hakyeon conceded. “But just remember that while you are out there creating moods, it also gives us stress too, you know?” Hakyeon led Eunji to the playground at the side of the building, but near enough to keep an eye out for cars in the lobby.

Eunji made a face at Hakyeon’s comment, before something caught her eye. “Oh I love swings!” Eunji exclaimed as she ran towards one in the playground and settled into one. Hakyeon smiled as he watched her squeal, and followed her to settle into the other beside her. They sat in silence for a while.

“It’s been so long since I’ve been able to enjoy myself like this,” Eunji commented, looking up into the sky at the stars overhead.

“What, sitting on a swing?” Hakyeon asked.

“No, not just this,” Eunji clarified. “The whole day. I haven’t been to a friend’s house, or just hung out casually with friends in such a homely setting in such a long time. I really miss the freedom and luxury of just doing anything you want without having to worry about what the next schedule is or where the camera is. I wish I could do this more often,” Eunji commented wistfully.

“Yeah, I guess that is one of the downsides to idol life,” Hakyeon agreed. “But don’t you get to go back home and spend time with friends and family, or get a week off schedule at times?”

Eunji cocked her head to the side as she considered. “We get to go home during Chuseok at least,” she conceded. “But getting a week off is rare. And even on the days we do get off, it’s hard to plan anything around it because you’re either too tired or it’s too last minute to make any concrete plans.”

Hakyeon nodded understandingly. “Well, Chuseok is coming up soon,” he said. “You’ll get your break!”

Eunji smiled. “I hope so. Hopefully filming might be nearly done by then so that we can get a break to go home!”

Hakyeon held up his right hand solemnly and recited with a straight face. “I, Cha Hakyeon, the most inexperienced and commits the most NGs during filming, hereby swear to be super serious during my segments and to not have any NGs at all so that Jung Eunji can make it home for Chuseok.”

Eunji laughed hard as she swatted his arm at his mock swearing. “Oh, Hakyeon,” she said.

Hakyeon took one look at her and also laughed. He held up his pinky finger to her. “I’m serious, I promise.”

Eunji smiled at him as she reciprocated his pinky promise, hooking her pinky around his. She immediately felt the same electrifying sensation that she did previously in the recording studio. And judging by the intense gaze Hakyeon had on her, Eunji knew that he felt it too.

She broke the eye contact, feeling her face flush as she pulled away, “I’m going to hold you to this, Hakyeon,” she said teasingly, looking anywhere but at him.

Hakyeon felt his face flush as he looked away, his heart racing. He knew that Eunji had felt the same connection as he did; he was just unsure of what to make of it.

Just then, a black car pulled into the driveway, and Eunji stood up hurriedly. “That’s my car,” she told Hakyeon. He followed her out to the lobby where the car was waiting.

“Thank you for inviting me over today,” Eunji turned to him and said sincerely before she opened the door. “I really enjoyed myself.”

Hakyeon blushed. “It’s no problem. I’m glad you had a good time. I hope the boys didn’t scare you.”

“No, not at all. In fact, I’m really envious of this unique friendship that you guys have. It’s really something special,” Eunji told Hakyeon as she reached out to squeeze his hand. “Hold on to it, yeah? Your dongsaengs love you and support you to the end, no matter what they say otherwise.”

Hakyeon was touched by her sincerity and her gentle assurance. He nodded, “Yes I know. Thank you.” He bowed politely as they greeted each other goodbye, and waved as the car went off.

Hakyeon stood in the lobby for a while, letting his thoughts settle in his mind before heading back upstairs to the dorm for the rest of the night.

----------