Chapter 15

No Reason For Loving

September 2015

Hakyeon and Eunji settled into filming their drama Cheer Up, and with their friendly and outgoing nature, easily made friends with their other co-stars. During their filming, Eunji shared a dorm with fellow main lead Soobin and supporting role Haena, while Hakyeon shared his with fellow leads Won-Guen and Jisoo. As both Soobin and Haena were pretty new to the acting scene, Eunji included them with her as much as possible, and so the 6 of them formed an especially tight bond during their filming – one that was filled with laughter, encouragement and tears.

Hakyeon, for one, was extremely grateful that he had a close friend with him during his first major role in a drama. Acting with Eunji was not as nerve wrecking as he initially thought it might be – what if she thinks my acting is lame? – instead, her bubbly nature just helped the atmosphere relax and Hakyeon found himself enjoying his role more and more.

Of course, he also found that he had to swallow pangs of jealousy whenever he saw Eunji acting lovey with Won-Guen, having contact with the other male cast, heck, even Jisoo got to envelope her in a protective back hug. Hakyeon found it almost ironic that he, the most touchy-feely member of VIXX, had to be cast as a character who had a physical touch disability.

“Are you alright? Feeling tired?” Hakyeon asked with concern.

Eunji shook her head, but stifled back a yawn. “Just didn’t have a good sleep last night, I think. And we had to be up so early today,” she groaned.

Hakyeon could not agree more. They were up at the crack of dawn as they only had one day to finish up their filming at the campsite before the sun set. Hakyeon was used to going on for days with less than 4 hours sleep – promotional time, concert preparations, juggling practice and his radio show, you name it – but he knew that Eunji needed her beauty sleep. He was amazed that she manages to catch at least 6 hours of sleep each night with her busy schedule.

Hakyeon reached into one of the bags on the floor and pulled out a bottle of strawberry milk. Eunji laughed in response. “We can’t be drinking the props!”

Hakyeon gave her a grin. “Well, there’s so many in here, one won’t hurt.” But despite his words, Hakyeon still turned to ask the assistant manager for permission, before poking a straw in one and offering it to Eunji.

“Thanks,” Eunji giggled.

“Okay, if you two are done drinking my props, can we start from the top again?” Director Lee called out.

“Yes,” Hakyeon and Eunji replied obediently. Eunji handed Hakyeon her half drunk milk to finish before turning to move out of the scene to get ready for a re-run. Hakyeon blushed at the intimate gesture, hoping that no one noticed.

-----

“Everyone, I have an announcement to make!” Director Lee raised his voice at the start of one of the days of filming. The cast and crew gathered around him as instructed. “We will only be filming for a couple of hours today and pack up after lunch as I need to leave urgently to settle some matters. We will resume filming the day after tomorrow. Please accept my apologies, and take this time to have a good break.”

The cast and crew acknowledged the director’s words, and left to prepare for the shoot. Hakyeon made a beeline for Eunji, who was heading off to finish getting her hair done. “Oh yeah, aren’t you happy? We get an unexpected break!” Hakyeon nudged Eunji.

“Yes, it’s good news! But if only this would have been yesterday. Then I would have been able to head down to Daejeon with the girls for the Dream concert.”

“Oh Apink is performing too? So is VIXX! The boys are heading down tomorrow,” Hakyeon replied, and then frowned. “The concert is only scheduled for tomorrow night right?”

Eunji nodded. “But since the group is heading down, we planned for two fan meets, this evening and tomorrow morning. So the girls have already left. I’m all alone now,” Eunji pretended to pout.

“Oh,” Hakyeon said, understanding. Then he brightened. “How about coming over and spending some time with me and the boys later? You could meet them, and catch up with Taekwoon too,” Hakyeon added hurriedly.

“Really, will that be okay?” Eunji asked, slightly worried. They had reached her dressing room, and paused to talk outside.

“Our manager-hyung is pretty cool, if that’s what you’re worried about,” Hakyeon assured her. “It’s more like whether you need to seek permission on your side.”

Eunji sighed. “This is one thing I hate about being an idol… No privacy or freedom to plan my schedules.” She took out her phone to start texting. “I’ll ask him now, hope he says okay!” She showed Hakyeon her crossed fingers.

Just then the dressing room door opened, and Eunji’s stylist poked her head out. “Ah Eunji ah, why are you so late! Quick we need to finish your styling, if not we’ll be late!” She pulled Eunji’s arm and led her into the room.

Eunji rolled her eyes as she followed her stylist in. “See? No freedom,” she mouthed to Hakyeon, before waving goodbye.

Hakyeon was left smiling to himself in the corridor.

-----

Hakyeon loitered around casually along the dressing rooms waiting for Eunji to be done. He was excited at the prospect of spending a day with Eunji just hanging out, even if it was with the VIXX boys. He expected that they would take to her quite well. He looked at his watch and did a mental calculation of what the boys might be up to when they arrived. Taekwoon would likely be in his room, as usual. And Ravi too, unless he is out meeting his sister. The other 3 dongsaengs would probably be either huddled up watching Hongbin play computer games, or up to something together in the living room. Hakyeon smiled, recalling Jaehwan’s entertainment last night in the dorm. He and Eunji will certainly get along.

Hakyeon then shook his head. What’s wrong with you, he chided himself. You are acting like as it you are bringing a girlfriend home and wondering how the boys will react to her. Stop it Hakyeon, he told himself. We are just friends, and now is not the time for any relationships.

Just then, Eunji came out of her dressing room. “Oh Hakyeon, were you here the whole time? I can go!” She told him excitedly, waving her phone. “But can you tell me what your address is so that the driver can come pick me up later this evening?”

“Sure,” Hakyeon smiled as he texted her the address of their dorm. “Let’s go!”

The ride to VIXX dorm was pretty quiet. Eunji was not too sure how to act as she sat in the backseat of their car. Hakyeon was surprisingly quiet as well, only occasionally exchanging conversation with his manager, who was driving them. Eunji thought it polite not to eavesdrop, and so focused her attention on the scenery as they were driving by. But she caught a few words here and there that made her wonder if Hakyeon was getting lectured for something.

When they reached the dorm, Eunji politely thanked the manager for the ride as she exited the car. “Your manager will be picking you up later, right?” The manager asked her suddenly.

“Yes, he will. He will be coming at about 8pm.” Eunji answered politely.

The manager just nodded and waved before driving off. Eunji turned to look at Hakyeon, who was watching the exchange a few steps behind. “Is he always so fierce or does he not like me?” She asked worriedly. “Is it not okay that I visit?”

Hakyeon waved his hand as if to dismiss her words. “Nah, it’s fine. That’s our second manager, and he’s usually grumpy but inside he has a very good heart. I cleared this with our first manager already, all’s cool.” He led her up the steps into their building. “Besides, we are considered to be living on our own outside of company purview. Our manager no longer stays with us.”

Eunji looked in awe at the lobby as she stepped into the lift. “Wah, Hakyeon. VIXX must be doing very well.”

Hakyeon looked shy. “We just prefer to do things together, you know? And most of us come from middle-class families, so we are not used to spending a lot either. We share clothes and shoes all the time, so there’s no really need to spend a lot there. Probably just on food; we eat a lot.” They reached their floor and Hakyeon led the way to their dorm. Before opening the door, he stopped. “I need to warn you, it may be very messy. Boys, you know…”

Eunji laughed. “I can stand mess, and I have a younger brother. I think I can handle it.” Then she paused. “Everyone is fully clothed, right?”

Hakyeon gave an exaggerated worried look. “Let me go and check,” he said and made a move to open the door, then laughed. “I’m just kidding. We are always clothed in the common areas – it’s a rule. In the room some of the boys sleep shirtless during the summer, but that’s only at night. Besides, the boys are expecting you.” He gave Eunji a mischievous wink as she swatted his arm for teasing her.

Hakyeon opened the door to the dorm. “Hi everyone, I’m back,” he announced. “And I have brought a guest with me!”

Jaehwan, Hongbin and Hyuk, who were lying on the floor engrossed in a game, immediately stood up when they saw Eunji, and bowed politely greeting her. Hakyeon took a step towards the bedrooms, calling out for Taekwoon and Ravi to come out. Eunji, embarrassed by the attention, made herself busy by closing the door behind her, to which Hongbin immediately stepped forward to help her out. “Kamsamida,” she said to him shyly. Hongbin gave her a smile in return.

The VIXX boys gathered and stood in front of Eunji, and politely bowed their greetings to her, as Eunji reciprocated.

“Eunji, welcome to our dorm. This is VIXX,” Hakyeon introduced proudly. “This is Ravi, our talented songwriter and rapper.”

Ravi bowed politely. “Annyeonghaseyo.”

Eunji returned the greeting politely. “Oh, Ravi?” She asked. “You and Bomi are good friends, right?”

Ravi looked surprised. “Yes, yes. We were classmates in high school.”

“Oh, then we are the same age!” Eunji said. “I’m a 93-liner too.”

“Oh hey,” Ravi smiled at Eunji, and then pointed to Hongbin. “Hongbin is a 93-liner too.”

Hongbin greeted Eunji politely, and she returned the gesture. “Nice to meet you,” she said.

“Of course, you know Taekwoon,” Hakyeon continued, pointing out Taekwoon.

“Yes, yes. Annyeonghaseyo.” Eunji greeted Taekwoon politely. “Long time no see!”

Taekwoon blushed. “Yes, it has been long,” he agreed.

“And Jaehwan…,” Hakyeon continued.

Annyeonghaseyo.” Jaehwan greeted Eunji politely. “Nice to see you again.”

“And finally our maknae, Hyukie. Hyuk,” Hakyeon finished.

Hyuk and Eunji exchanged greetings, and then Eunji could not stop herself from commenting. “Hyuk, as in Namjoo’s good friend, Hyuk?” She asked with a glint in her eye and a teasing tone.

The other boys burst out laughing and nudging Hyuk, who looked very embarrassed. “We are just good friends,” he protested, amidst their laughter.

Eunji patted his shoulder. “She’s a very nice girl,” Eunji winked at him teasingly.

“We are really just good friends, noona,” Hyuk insisted.

Eunji laughed as she shook her head. “Please don’t call me noona, call me Eunji. If I can call your hyungs by name, you can call me by name.” Hyuk smiled at her gratefully.

“Okay, enough,” Hakyeon finally said after their laughing subsided. “Guys, this is Jung Eunji from Apink. She is my fellow cast-mate on Cheer Up. We had an unexpected break from filming today, and Apink is away for the Dream concert so I invited Eunji to spend some time with us this afternoon instead of being alone.”

Eunji bowed politely. “Thank you for allowing me to disturb your afternoon,” she said. “Please go ahead with whatever you were busy with earlier, don’t need to specifically host me.”

“No, no, no,” Jaehwan interjected immediately. “Since you are our guest, you have to join in our game. Right, Hongbin? Hyuk?” Jaehwan led Eunji to the living and showed her the game that they were in the midst of playing. “N-hyung, Leo-hyung, do you all want to join us?” Jaehwan called out to Taekwoon and Hakyeon, who were heading towards the kitchen.

“Ah, in a while,” Hakyeon replied. “Eunji, would you like a drink?”

“Yes, please, water will do,” Eunji answered gratefully, while settling herself down beside Jaehwan on the floor.

“Okay, okay,” Jaehwan took charge after they all sat in a circle on the floor. “Eunji, have you played this before? If not, I will explain the game…”

Taekwoon tugged on Hakyeon’s arm and pulled him away to the kitchen as the rest started on the game. “You brought Eunji to our dorm?” he asked, once they were out of earshot.

“Yes, I did obviously,” Hakyeon laughed as he took a bottle of water out from the fridge. “Why, are you not comfortable with that?” Hakyeon asked with concern.

Taekwoon shook his head. “Just surprised,” he replied. “You never mentioned being close to her before.”

“Oh…” Hakyeon gave a nervous laugh. “Well honestly, it wasn’t really till last month that I actually got to know her. Somehow this past month we keep bumping into each other. She filmed with me for Off to School, and then Apink were my guests on radio 2 weeks back.”

Taekwoon eyed Hakyeon carefully, noting his hands that were fidgeting with the bottle of water. “Are you sure that’s all?” Taekwoon asked carefully.

Hakyeon met Taekwoon’s eyes confidently. “Yes, of course,” he replied, a little too loudly. “We are just friends getting to know each other.”

Taekwoon nodded in acknowledgement. “Okay then,” he conceded. “Anyway, if it’s anything more, it will definitely catch you. You can’t run away from it,” Taekwoon advised casually as he headed to his room, leaving Hakyeon standing alone in the kitchen with the forgotten bottle of water.

What does he mean by that?

----------