Chapter 13

No Reason For Loving

July 2015, One week later

Eunji flopped herself on the couch between Hayoung and Naeun as the girls gathered around in the living for a briefing of their upcoming schedules by their leader Chorong. They had spent the last week promoting their new album on music programs, and there was likely another 2 weeks more of intensive promoting before they could take a breather.

“I just want to say that I’m proud of you girls for the past week of promotions,” Chorong started. “I know we were all apprehensive about how well received the album would be given that we took such a long break to produce it…”

Eunji started to zone out. She was glad that the album was finally recorded and released. It had been such a busy year thus far, despite the break that Apink took music-wise. It is even crazier than 2014 although it was only July, Eunji realized. Eunji then did a mental calculation before she could stop herself. And it’s been 54 days since –

“Eunji!”

Eunji jumped and was snapped out of her thoughts. “Yes, yes?”

Chorong glared at Eunji. “You weren’t listening! What did I say our exciting promotion schedule was for next week?”

“Err…” Eunji glanced around. She caught Bomi trying to mouth something to her behind Chorong, but she could not make it out.

“You said that we’ll be having a radio interview with VIXX’s N,” Namjoo answered. Eunji turned to her gratefully, mouthing her thanks. Then she stopped, realizing what Namjoo said. “Radio interview with VIXX’s N?” She echoed.

Chorong nodded. “Yes that is what is going to be happening next week.”

Hayoung nudged Eunji and whispered, “Your classmate…” She winked at Eunji.

Eunji was puzzled at what Hayoung was so excited about, and then realized that Chorong was waiting for a reaction from her. “Oh wow, that’s great!” Eunji exclaimed, exaggerating as she usually did. “A radio interview!”

The other girls laughed, and Chorong also smiled while trying to keep a straight face. “Next time, please pay attention Eunji,” she chided.

“Yes, Unnie,” Eunji replied politely.

“Now, let’s talk about the dorm. Does anyone have any issues to bring up…” Chorong moved on, but Eunji was stuck in her thoughts again.

A radio interview with Hakyeon, she thought. Why did my heart suddenly beat faster when I heard that?

-----

July 2015, One week later

Annyeonghaseyo…”

There were polite greetings all around as Apink stepped into SBS Power FM radio station’s recording studio. The show producer immediately delved into the instructions for their upcoming segments while the other staff members handed out sheets of the radio program schedule out to them. Eunji absentmindedly took the sheet that was to her as she scanned the room. She spotted Hakyeon in the recording studio through the window, with staff members milling about him quietly setting up cameras and microphones. He looks so professional, Eunji thought to herself. So serious and focused, such a different side that I’ve not seen before. He really reminds me of In Guk, Eunji thought with a sigh. Great, the last thing I need to occupy my mind at a time like this.

Eunji’s thoughts were interrupted by the show producer explaining to them that Hakyeon will be playing 3 consecutive songs next so that they could make their way into the studio and settle down. The girls got ready, and quickly entered the room on cue. Hakyeon stood politely and greeted each member as they came in. Somehow, Eunji ended up being last, and took the seat nearest to Hakyeon. He gave her a warm smile and polite bow as they greeted each other, and Eunji found herself responding with a warm smile of her own too.

“Hey classmate, we meet again,” Hakyeon whispered to Eunji with a wink. But that was all he could squeeze in before the songs came to an end and he was up next to introduce Apink.

The radio interview flowed smoothly, and Eunji found herself relaxing and easing into Hakyeon’s easy and comfortable hosting. It was so easy converse with him and their teasing back and forth came naturally as well.

Halfway through asking a question, Hakyeon’s earpiece fell out and dangled off the table. Eunji immediately reached out to help him pull it back up into place, as he was preoccupied with focusing on his script. While doing so, her fingers accidentally brushed against Hakyeon’s who was also trying to do the same thing while not breaking the flow of his question.

It was an electrifying 2 seconds when their fingers touched.

What was that? Eunji was shocked at her immediate race in heartbeat. She sneaked a quick glance at Hakyeon, but she could not tell if he felt the same thing too. Eunji shook her head and chalked it up to her tiredness of their back-to-back schedules that resulted in her imagining things.

Overall, the radio interview went smoothly, and they all took a group shot together before saying their thanks and goodbyes. Hakyeon pulled Eunji back at the end while they were moving out. “It was great to see you,” he told her. “But you look tired; are you getting enough sleep?”

Eunji blushed. “Yes, it’s the promotions that we’re doing now that we have such busy schedules,” she replied. “Is it that obvious?” Eunji asked worriedly, her hands on her face.

Hakyeon smiled. “Ya, you look like one of your pink pandas,” he teased, earning him an immediate swat on his arm from Eunji. “No, you still look great,” he assured her. “Just remember to take care of your health.”

“I will,” Eunji promised. “Good luck with your radio show, Hakyeon. Looks like it’s doing really very well, fighting!”

“Thank you,” Hakyeon said gratefully. “Oh Eunji,” he stopped her as she was turning to move out. “Don’t forget we still haven’t met up again properly yet,” he reminded her.

Eunji gave him an ‘ok’ sign. “Haven’t forgotten. Let me get past this busy period first.”

Hakyeon returned her ‘ok’ sign with a big grin. “Will hear from you!”

-----

August 2015, Three days later

Hakyeon and Jaehwan were walking back to their dorm after buying some snacks for the rest of the members. Jaehwan had insisted that the Ddeokbokki over at Hongdae street across the park was “the most delicious ever!!!”, and so Hakyeon had reluctantly agreed to go with him to get some. He was glad he did though; there was an offer for banana milk at the convenience store beside and so Hakyeon was now swinging his bag happily with 6 bottles in it.

He was also grateful for this time to spend some one-on-one time with Jaehwan too. Jaehwan had been so busy with his first musical, Chess, and with their conflicting schedules, it had been difficult for Hakyeon to catch up and check in with him. From what he had noticed, Jaehwan had seemed tired and more withdrawn recently due to the busyness, but now that the musical run had just ended 2 days ago, Hakyeon was glad that he could get some rest before they started on their next schedule.

Ever since the VIXX members started to have their own individual schedules and opportunities after their first year of debut, Hakyeon always tried to make it a point to have one-on-one time with each of them to check in on their well-being. From the group’s inception into their debut year, their company had been liberal in giving them opportunities to experience much as a group together – being on MTV Diary (twice!) and filming VIXX file – which really helped to bond and gel the group together. But with the group’s popularity rising and each member also being recognized more in their own right, it became increasingly difficult to find time for the group to just come together and do non-work related activities. Hence, Hakyeon would make time in his schedule to visit Jaehwan and Hongbin at their rehearsals, support Taekwoon and Ravi at their subunit fan-signing event, and also stay up late with Hyuk to run through his lines for his movie debut. Taekwoon offered to join him in visiting some of the other members during their schedules, but Hakyeon knew that he disliked such things and much preferred to be alone (he shows his support in other ways), and so told him that it was okay.

“…And so he actually went out on stage wrongly attired, but I don’t think anyone in the audience noticed very much. We laughed about it for days after that though, and it became a running joke,” Jaehwan was recounting to Hakyeon the various incidents that had happened while he was in Chess.

Hakyeon laughed and ruffled his hair affectionately. “I’m glad you had a good time and opportunity with this, Jaehwan,” he told him. “I think you’ve even matured a bit,” he joked.

Jaehwan gave his signature eye-wide look of surprise. “Hey, I have always been mature!” He laughed. “Maybe I need to ask Hyuk to sneak out with me tonight,” he teased Hakyeon with a mischievous glint in his eye, earning an immediate ‘chop’ to his neck.

“What sneaking out, huh? Be careful that I don’t lock you guys in your rooms tonight!”

Jaehwan laughed and hooked his arm around Hakyeon’s neck. “Yes, leader-hyung,” he teased. They walked like this for a while before Jaehwan asked, “So what’s been happening since I’ve been busy?” He released Hakyeon from his hold and they walked side by side.

Hakyeon shrugged. “Same old, I guess. Been pretty quiet, and everyone’s been busy with their own projects and schedules.”

Jaehwan nodded slowly, and they walked in silence for a bit before Jaehwan spoke. “Hyung,” he started tentatively, and turned to look at Hakyeon. “She came to watch the musical on the last night.”

Hakyeon immediately caught on to who the “she” Jaehwan was referring to. “So what happened?”

Jaehwan shrugged. “I didn’t know at first, until her sister texted me to say that they were outside and asked if I wanted to come out from backstage to say hi.” Hakyeon nodded, encouraging him to continue. “I didn’t go and meet them in the end,” Jaehwan confessed.

Hakyeon immediately put his arms around Jaehwan’s shoulders to give him a hug. “Was it difficult?”

Jaehwan nodded. “I didn’t know what to say, you know? And I know she’s been hanging around a lot with this guy and so I didn’t want to spoil anything or dig up the past.” He forced a smile at Hakyeon. “Do you think I did the right thing?”

Hakyeon considered carefully. “Well…” he said slowly. “I don’t think there is a right thing or a wrong thing, just maybe what’s right for you at this point. What makes you feel the most at peace and at ease.”

Jaehwan nodded and they walked on in silence for a bit before he spoke up. “I thought I would feel regret not going out to see her after that.”

“But…?”

“But…surprisingly I’m finding that I’m okay with it,” Jaehwan turned and gave Hakyeon a wistful smile. “Maybe I really am getting over it and moving on.”

Hakyeon smiled widely at him and gave him another squeeze. “Maybe time really does heal, huh? But I’m glad that this is becoming something easier to talk about now – Is that Eunji?” A familiar figure sitting at the bench facing the swan lake distracted Hakyeon.

Jaehwan turned. “Do you mean Eunji from Apink? How can you tell from so far…” He squinted. “Yeah looks a bit like her, I’m not too sure though… Where are you going?” He followed Hakyeon who was striding over purposefully.

“Eunji?”

----------