Chapter 6: An Exhibition Where All of Them Crashed

The Tangled of Lives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tokyo Jazz Club, Gangnam, Seoul, 2008

 

“Joooo.... what are you doing there? Let me see you!”

“Wait a second Unnie!”

Joohyun looked at her reflection on the mirror for hundredth time.  She didn’t know why she trusted Hyoyeon to pick a dress for her. They had a totally different taste of clothes. The dress was beautiful and simple black, but the backside was the problem, it was too revealing for her taste. She could even see the mole on her back.

But that was the only option she had, besides staying in her shirt and skirt from this morning. This was not an option, actually. Especially when this event was her first exhibition in the city.Her debutante.

What would people say if the little sister of the famous actress Seo Yuri would look like a plain duck? Or to be precise, what would Yuri-Unnie would say, or scream, at her?

So she sighed deeply and braved herself.

Her cousin’s impatience face was the first thing she encountered when she went out from the dressing room on the backstage.

“Uh, Unnie, sorry for ....”

But she could not finish her sentence because Hyoyeon clapped her hands happily, clearly feeling satisfied of the dress she picked.

“Twirl around, Joo!”

Joohyun obediently followed her Unnie’s instruction.

“Wow, she’s gorgeous.”

A smiling voice joined them. Joohyun instantly blushed.

“Oppa.”

Hyoyeon pushed her boyfriend’s shoulder playfully.

“Don’t be a ert, Oppa.”

Hyukjae laughed and hugged his girlfriend from behind. “Are you jealous?”

Hyoyeon shook her head while giggling.

“Of Joo and you? No. I know you.”

Hyukjae kissed her neck. “You do, don’t you.”

Joohyun’s face was never that red. Only eighteen and lived almost all her life with Yuri, on the contrary of what people thought, she had rarely see any heated scene.

“Stop flirting in front of a young girl, Jae!”

Joohyun shifted her eyes to the left, to other smiling and warm eyes of a stranger.

“Uh, sorry, I was being impolite.” Hyukjae slapped his own head. “This is Lee Donghae. My cousin. And Hae, this is Seo Joohyun, Hyoyeon’s cousin.”

Joohyun bowed while Hyoyeon rolled her eyes. Donghae smiled, clearly amused with the two cousins.

“Donghae-sshi, nice to meet you.”

Donghae waved his hand. “No, don’t be that polite. Call me Hae-Oppa.”

Hyukjae laughed. “Careful Hyun, he maybe looks like a nice guy, but his reputation was worse than mine.”

Hyoyeon slapped her boyfriend’s hand. “Don’t tease my Baby.” She turned her gaze to Joohyun. “Hae-Oppa here is a new resident of Seoul Hospital. He’s a doctor!” She said the last sentence in conspirational tone.

Joohyun rolled her eyes. Her Unnie was really out of mind sometimes.

Then somebody coughed behind them.

“Uh, Hyung?”

Hyukjae smiled upon seeing who was there.

“Ah, there you are, where have you been all this time, Min?”

*****

“So you are actually Seo Yuri’s little sister?”

Changmin glanced at Joohyun who was helping him in arranging the portraits on the wall.

“Yeah. Is that such a shock, Oppa?”

Changmin shook his head. “Hardly. Actually I have been questioning myself this morning who does you resemblance to.”

Joohyun giggled.

“You don’t believe me?” Changmin insisted.

“I am an ugly duck compare to Unnie, Oppa.”

“Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror lately?” his voice sounded exasperated.

“I do. Actually hundredth time this evening, but that’s beside the point.... Uh...”

She suddenly stopped rambling.

“Huh? What did you say? Joohyun?”

Joohyun still stunned. Changmin turned his body and saw the couple that just entered the club’s front door.

“Ah, them. They look stunning as always. But if you know the real them like I do.” He trailed a bit. “Let me introduce you to them, he is actually my ....”

But Joohyun suddenly waved her hand in front of him and talked so fast. “Uh, Oppa,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter