Chapter 12: What would you do if your heart rebels against your head?

The Tangled of Lives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

at the tree of friendship, two days before Christmas of 2008

 

“If I have a penny, I’ll give it to you so you can spill out what’s in your mind.”

Engrossed with the swinging and the thoughts, Sooyoung had not aware that someone had been standing beside her all that time.

“Oppa.”

Ryeowook smiled and offered his hand for her to take. Smiled back, she took the hand and jumped from the swing.

“What are you doing this early? I dropped by your house and your maid told me you’ve been out with your bicycle an hour ago.”

She giggled and tugged him to sit with her in front of the oak tree. Once they sat, she leaned her body to him and whispered in front of his face.

“How did you know I was here?”

His smile widened, he liked their closeness and the fact that she was no longer felt awkward with that. He tapped her nose playfully.

“There are few places that you will be around.”

“Oh, that’s so?” She raised her eyebrows.

“Yup. Canteen, Dance Hall, The Alley beside the river, and here.”

“Wow!” She clapped her hands in awe. He did really know her that well.

Suddenly he grasped her hand tighter. She looked at him with questions in her eyes.

“Yoong, I wonder…” He was twitching before continue, “…. If, uh, … “ He paused again and she tugged his hand to encourage him as she was also curious, and hoping, on what he wanted to say. “…. Uh, what will you do on Christmas eve?”

She startled. That’s not what she thought he would say, but still she hoped he would ask something like that too.

Then she shrugged. “The usual, we used to have the family and close friends gathering in the club house.”

He chuckled when he saw her expression. “You don’t seem to be excited with it.”

She glanced at him and looked bored. “It was fun when you’re 9, it’s no longer fun when you’re 19.”

He laughed. “That’s true.”

She wrinkled her nose. “Totally true.”

“Then join us to Hyukjae-Hyung’s party.”

“In da club again?”

“No. In front of his apartment, beside the river.” He brushed her hand softly. “It’s going to be fun. You know them.”

She nodded. Of course Hyukjae and Hyoyeon were great hosts.

“Plus it will be near the river. I know how much you like that.”

She beamed at him, and to the shocked of both of them, she suddenly hugged him. “Thank you Oppa!”

He smiled and pulled her closer, sniffed her hair softly.

……..

And then they heard someone coughed.

Startled both of them dragged themselves from the hug and moved their stares to the source of the sound.

To a smirking Changmin.

“Uh.” “Oh.”

“Speechless Youngie and Stuttered Wookie. This is scandalous.” His smirk got wider.

“Stop teasing them, Oppa.” Joohyun who trailed behind him jumped to conversation with an apologetic stare to the pair.

“Hyunnie, thanks!” Sooyoung smiled at the younger girl. Girls stand up together!

“Don’t bother him, he just training himself to become a jealous brother.” Another voice joined the conversation.

“Ouch! That’s hurt!” Changmin touched his head that was just collided with the back of Kyuhyun’s hand.

Sooyoung tongued out Changmin who then glared at her. Wookie shook his head in amusement while Joohyun giggled and Kyuhyun laughed.

*****

 

Two hours later, still at the tree of friendship

 

“I have to go.” Changmin pulled himself up. “My tutoring session starts early today.” Then he turned his gaze to Joohyun. “Do you want to come with me, Hyunnie? You said yesterday you need to drop by at the administrator building.”

“Any trouble?” Concern was clearly heard in Kyuhyun’s voice when he turned his head around to seek the girl’s eyes.

Joohyun shook her head and smiling to him. “Nothing serious. Yuri-Unnie is coming for the Christmas eve and she wants to know about my grades so I have to take my semester’s report sooner than the normal procedure.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter