Complications

Reality or Fantasy?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

M:        Hello, Kimhan?

K:        Mom, what’s the matter?

M:        Where are you? I need you to come home now. Please, baby?

K:        Mom, we talked about this already.

M:        It’s about your Dad.

K:        He’s sick. He got 3 weeks ago without us being aware.

M:        Whattt?

Kim dropped the phone as soon as she heard the horrible news from her mom. Her mind was deeply troubled by the fact that even her dad kicked her out, she still cares so much about him and it hurts her immensely. Pie, on the other didn’t sense Kim’s change in demeanor because the latter did her best not to ruin the moment and just flaunt her composed self in front of the brunette. After bidding goodbye, Kim didn’t waste much time to inform her mom to meet her up somewhere because right now, she doesn’t have the guts to face her dad most especially in that condition of him.

She was informed that luckily, her dad was brought to the hospital just in time but because of some brain injuries he incurred, he had been in comatose for almost 2 weeks.  Not too long, her dad survived that condition easily and even the doctor seeing him wake up sooner than expected is considered a great miracle. He knows that her dad hated being confined so it’s not a big revelation to her that the family chose to continue the resting and medications at home.

====

The next day at the university grandstand….

“Oh bro, what happened to you? You look like crap! Hahaha…” Zee commented as she saw Mario approaching their usual meeting area in the grandstand.

Showing off his obvious boredom, Mario rolled his eyes and threw his backpack at the corner where Nan is currently seated. “The class ! The only thing that got my attention was the students’ talk right now, the senior night.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard that too. God, my classmates couldn’t stop babbling about it.” Hongyok divulged in.

Zee puts her arm to Jane’s shoulder and joins the conversation. “So what do you thinks guys, probably one of these days we could go out together to buy suits and dresses?”

“Of course, because my dress should match your suit, babe.” Jane concurred, kissing her Zee’s cheek.

“Me too.” Nan agreed to Jane’s idea, pointing her gaze to Hongyok as if silently communicating that their clothes should match each other as well. Startled by her own words and the looks her friends are giving, she quickly blurts out other possible interpretation to what she has said. “Uhh..I mean me too I want to join you guys in shopping so I could see how adorable you two are.”

“Ehem!” Mario interrupted.

Knowing what Mario is trying to say, Zee fervently bites back. “Whoa, I forgot that someone doesn’t have a date here yet.”

“Don’t assume bro, since I have my eyes set on someone right now. See yah!”

“W—Wait Mario!! Spill it out first!”

====

After the bell rang signaling the end of lunch time, Pie’s group went on separate ways to go to their respective classes in the afternoon. Fern decided to accompany Pie since they’ll be on the same floor and to personally ask her cousin what has occupied her mind.

”Pie, what’s wrong?” Fern asked while they’re walking in the hallway, noticing Pie’s uneasiness.

Unsure to bare what she’s thinking all day long, Pie attempted to keep it to herself. “Nothing, Fern. What made you say that?”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Pie. You can fool everyone but not me. I know you since birth.”

Fern obviously didn’t buy it and that makes Pie gave in. “Okay, I just find it weird that Kim didn’t show up at my locker when I came there earlier. I didn’t notice her as well at the cafeteria with her friends during lunch. I feel like something’s going on.”

Ever since Fern saw Pie and Kim together, she already knows that something special could possibly blossom between the two of them. And the fact the she’s witnessing her cousin’s deep concern for the tom’s absence right now, it made her believe more about her own notion. But at the moment, she decided to play innocent because she wanted Pie to say it herself.

“You’re thinking too much, princess. Who knows if she called it sick today?”

“Wait, hold on! Why do I feel that you’re acting like a girlfriend? Did I miss something here?” Fern added, trying to catch Pie into her trap.

“I’m not, okay! W…We’re…just friends.” Pie’s cheeks were painted by pink blushes the moment she heard the word girlfriend. Is she really acting like one?

Fern pretends to be serious in front of the brunette but deep inside, she’s squealing hard when her words affect Pie so much. “Listen, Pie. I don’t see any problem with you crushing on Kim. But try to get to know her first before you put your trust on her. I just don’t want you to end up hurting.”

Unable to cage her emotions any longer, Pie expressed her anxieties. “I’m afraid, Fern. This is so new to me. You know I’ve never been attracted to anyone before. And for the record, it’s a girl, out of millions of people I could meet.”

“I only have one question Pie.”

“What is it?” the brunette queried, tilting her head to the side to meet the taller girl’s gaze.

“Does she make you happy?”

Clearly, Fern had struck the right chord into Pie’s heart as the brunette sighed heavily before saying, “Yes.”

“That’s all that matters, princess. Don’t think about your mom or what other people would say. This is about what your heart wants. You know why I’m supporting you with this? Because you deserve to be happy. You spent all your life to care and help others as much as you could, and now, it’s your turn to let someone take care of you for the rest of your life.” Fern uttered, placing a gentle hand to Pie’s shoulder.

“Someone that I can be with the rest of my life?” Pie reiterated, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She thinks that they might misinterpret Kim’s behavior towards her. It could only be a great gesture of a friend, couldn’t it? “Hey Fern, it’s just a crush. You’re thinking in advance and heck, I don’t even know if she likes me.”

At the back of Fern’s mind, when it comes to love, sometimes she could be blinded but it seems that Pie is more impaired than she could ever be.

“Let me tell you this for once, Pie. Kim didn’t bother to ditch her friends to spend time with you alone if she’s not eager to see you. She didn’t seem to care whatever this whole university will say about you two together if she’s ashamed to be seen with you. She didn’t mind lending you her jacket if she doesn’t care about how you feel. And lastly, she won’t stare at you as if you’re the love of her life if she doesn’t like you.”

Stunned by her cousin’s keen observations to Kim’s actions, it took Pie a few moments to form a coherent sentence. “When did you become so good at words?”

Glancing at the taller girl who gulped heavily, Pie seemed that Fern was hit by the question because there’s no way you’d share a very good point of view about love if you didn’t experience it by yourself.

But before the brunette could even ask her cousin from whom she gets her inspiration, the latter responded it as shown by her own action. Following Fern’s concentrated gaze, Pie was convinced enough that her cousin is in definite trance of the tall, handsome and porcelain-skinned man who’s now confidently walking in the hallway while giving his trademark smile on every person he’s passing by.

“Hmm, it’s Mario, right?” Pie blurted out, not giving Fern a chance to speak for herself.

“Wha----, Ho----…Yeahh..” Fern lowered down her head, feeling embarrassed that her cousin had already known who her crush is before she even say. However, in finding a loophole, Fern considered herself as an expert which made her use her cousin’s edgy question to get back to her.

That’s so easy to admit, right?” The taller girl added, thinking that Pie could do the same and confess her feelings undoubtedly.  “So, aren’t you gonna answer my question? Do you like Kim?”

“E

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter