Ginger

Cinnamon & Ginger

 

“So you do like it or love it?” Jinyoung asked, moving his arms in a sweeping gesture. “Those are the only two options I'll allow without killing you after literally spending hours breaking my back getting this together, by the way.”

 

“Good thing I love it then, since I'm too young to die,” Mark said, glancing around the completed nursery. Citing his superior decorating ability, Jinyoung had put himself in charge of finishing up arranging Ginger's nursery in anticipation of her arriving next week. And he'd done a perfect job of it, too. The crib was fitted with the blankets and quilt they'd received during the shower, a mobile dangling above it. Her playmat was stationed nearby on the floor across from a small armchair decorated with little blue owls, the theme they'd decided on for her room. In a corner of the room, they'd built a little plushie pile for her from all the stuffed toys friends and family had donated to her. Her changing table was stocked with neatly organized bins of baby supplies, individually marked by special labels Jinyoung had designed and printed out himself. Lastly, he'd added their most recent purchase, a light blue rocking chair, to the corner of the room and covered it with a pretty afghan they'd once used on their couch. The whole room had a sweet, cozy smell coming from it, like fabric softener.

 

“You really do?” Jinyoung said, surveying it critically. “I mean, it looks nice now, but do you think we'll be able to keep it this neat looking?”

 

“If you ban me from entering from here on out, definitely.”

 

Jinyoung gave him a gentle smack on the arm. “If you think I'm going to let you be messy when there's a baby in the house, you're going to get a nasty surprise.”

 

“Mmm, depends on what kind of nasty you're talking.”

 

Jinyoung smacked him again. They were just about the shut off the lights in the nursery and go downstairs to eat the pizza they'd ordered for dinner when Mark's cell phone started ringing. He glanced down. It was Mei Hui.

 

He quickly swiped to answer the call. “What's up?”

 

“I think you should come to the hospital,” her quiet voice came from the other line. “My water broke.”

 

“WHAT?” Mark barked. “B-But it wasn't supposed to be for another week.”

 

“I'm well aware,” Mei Hui said in her zen tone. “And if you don't mind, can you keep your voice down? I'm in serious pain right now, and I'd like to remain as calm as possible.”

 

“Of course.” Mark lowered his voice. “Do you have someone to drive you to the hospital?”

 

“My housing manager is taking me now.” She took an audible breath. “Look, I was planning on still thinking this issue out because I thought I had more time. But about you two being present for the actual delivery...”

 

“You don't have to if you don't want to,” Mark said quickly. “We understand.”

 

“You deserve to be there as the parents, but...it's a little difficult for me to get over the modesty issue at the same time.” She in her breath suddenly. “.”

 

“Are you OK?”

 

“I don't think OK is the best word for it, but I'll live.”

 

“Anyways, Mei Hui, it's really fine if we're not there in the room with you for the delivery. I was at Lou's when he was born and still got squeamish even when it was my wife delivering. We'll support you from the waiting room, if that's what you want.”

 

“Thank you.” She took another gulp of air. “I'll give you clearance to come in and see me before the real deal starts. And I apologize in advance if I'm crabby, because this honestly hurts at a whole new level.”

 

“We'll be there. Take care of yourself.”

 

Mark dropped the call and turned to Jinyoung. “It's time,” he said softly.

 

Jinyoung nodded, taking a breath. “I'll go pack up the pizza to go before we leave.”

 

“That's practical of you.”

 

“Trust me, if this takes longer than Regina's birth did, you'll thank me when we're not stuck eating hospital food. I don't need one more thing to feel nervous about, with the way my heart feels right now.”

 

Mark could understand that, at least. He helped Jinyoung get their pizza stacked into a tupperware container and packed them some water bottles in case it wound up being a long delivery.

 

The hospital was nearby, so they arrived quickly. Just as Mei Hui had promised, she'd given their names to the nurse staff, and they were permitted to go back and see her. She was propped up on the bed, a slightly pinched expression on her face.

 

“Looks like I'm in here for a long haul,” she said, massaging her belly. “It's apparently rare to have a fast delivery when it's your first time. I could be here over eight hours. So if you need to go home at any point to rest-”

 

“It's fine,” Jinyoung said. “We probably won't be able to sleep anyways.”

 

“I understand. Be thankful it's not because your stomach feels like it's continually stabbing you.” She tucked her hair behind her ears. “But I'm glad I can talk to you guys for a little bit. I'd feel a bit remiss if I just ended this whole thing by handing your daughter off and disappearing overseas when I recover.” She reached out and took their hands. “I know I've acted this whole time like this was a straightforward decision for me. But it wasn't. I may keep it private, but I'm a grieving widow. In spite of every difficulty it would cause, I want to hoard every piece of Jai I have left. You two understand what it's like, don't you? To love someone so much that just the thought of ever being able to love someone else in a lifetime is unthinkable? To have that snatched from you not long after you were gifted with it in the first place...it's like being punched in the gut every morning when you wake up. And then to learn you're bearing a manifestation of that love inside you without even being able to take care of it? I..” She shook her head suddenly, blinking back the tears she hadn't been able to show them until now. “It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, looking at myself in the mirror and admitting to myself that I couldn't provide the last gift my husband gave me the environment it would need to thrive.”

 

“Mei Hui-” Mark started to say, but she shook her head again, indicating she still had more to say.

 

“It wasn't an easy decision,” she continued. “But I don't regret it. Had it been anyone less than you, I wouldn't have been able to act like I have. I would have been overcome with constant anxiety that I was irresponsibly handing off a child I hadn't fully given up in my heart. But because it's you...because I believe in you and because I believe in the love you'll bear for your daughter, I know that this is the right decision without a second thought. I'm able to call her your daughter instead of mine because she is. And you were the ones who made me believe that. So please. You don't have to feel sorry for me or wonder about my regrets or even ever speak my name to her if you don't want to. All you have to do is prove this belief of mine correct. Love her. Treasure her. Give her a world so big and beautiful that there will never be a question that I did the right thing.”

 

Both Jinyoung and Mark were tearing up, but they nodded to her, accepting her request. It was strange, but her words, as heart-rending as they were, made Mark feel at peace. He was glad she'd come to America, that she'd talked to Allison, that Allison had reached out to them, that they'd decided to go ahead and adopt Mei Hui's child. If that was what it took for Mei Hui to look on it with an optimistic heart, then it was a blessing that it happened for both her and for them.

 

“Anyways, that's my emotional little speech for you,” she said, squeezing their hands. “I may still be a grieving widow, but I can feel my husband smiling down on me today. He'll be with me in other ways, even if I don't keep this one. I'll always have the happiness he brought to this world—and it's an honor to give you a piece to share in. I hope that happiness shines on all your days. I hope the two of you and Ginger are blessed a thousand times over in your life together.”

 

“Thank you,” Jinyoung said softly. “We hope happiness is always shining down on you, too.”

 

“You know what? I think it will. I have the dearest of all angels watching over me.” She smiled contentedly for a moment before her face twisted in pain again. “Now, if you don't mind, I have some contractions to face. My nurse should be coming back soon, so if you want to head out and eat that pizza I see you've bought, now would be a good time.”

 

“Stay strong,” Mark said gently. “And thank you.”

 

“And you as well. It's been a difficult journey, but I'm content that this ending will be a happy one.”


 

There wasn't much to do in the waiting room but be anxious. One of Mei Hui's nurses would occasionally come to them with an update on contractions, but time overall moved slowly. They ate and paced and called Lou to let him know that his little sister would most likely be born late that night then paced some more. It helped sometimes just to sit down and talk about what they'd do when they got home with Ginger—how they would show her the nursery, introduce her to her grandparents, swaddle her in her little blankets, sing her songs if she cried. They realized they hadn't picked out her middle name and discussed that, but it wound up being a quick decision: they both agreed that she should be named Ginger Mei.

 

Several hours into their wait, the updates came more frequently. Mei Hui's contractions were increasing and she was in a lot of pain—she needed an epidural, even though she hadn't originally wanted one. It was hard, but she was enduring. “A lot of the women we get in that maternity ward yell at their husbands at this point,” the nurse told them, “but Mei Hui sounds like she's laying extensive curses on a long list of men who are not her husband.” Mark and Jinyoung guessed she was unleashing her pain and anger on all the “monsters” she'd met in her line of work.

 

It was about seven hours after they'd left Mei Hui's hospital room that a nurse arrived for them in the waiting room. “She's here,” the nurse said, smiling at them softly. “Your daughter was born at 2:15 AM. 6 pounds, 8 ounces. She's got a healthy set of lungs, too. Mei Hui's just finished feeding her. Are you ready to see her?”

 

“YES!” they practically yelled. All the tiredness and worry seemed to vanish in a single moment. They just wanted to see her.

 

The nurse led them back to Mei Hui's hospital room where an exhausted looking Mei Hui was holding a small bundle in her arms. “You're here,” she said, sighing in relief. “Come hold her. My arms...they feel so weak.”

 

“She didn't have an easy time of it,” the nurse explained. “She's going to need some time to recover, but overall her condition is good.”

 

Mei Hui lifted her arms and extended the baby to Mark. Ginger looked so small, but still so indescribably beautiful. She had a full head of black hair, light brown skin, and dark brown eyes that squinted a little as they looked into Mark's. She was glorious, and Mark felt a sense of awe sweep over his heart. She was theirs. Their daughter, the one they weren't sure they would ever be able to have, and she was right there, in his arms.

 

“Hi, Ginger,” he whispered. “It's your Daddy. Nice to meet you.”

 

“She's beautiful,” Jinyoung said breathlessly. “Can I hold her, too?” Mark passed her to him, and Jinyoung cradled her against his chest. “Our beautiful Ginger.”

 

“Mei Hui knew the first name you had planned out, but wasn't sure about the middle name,” the nurse said. “You still have time before you need to fill out the birth certificate if you need to think.”

 

“No, we've already decided,” Mark said firmly. “She's Ginger Mei Tuan.”

 

Mei Hui smiled faintly from the bed. “Such an honor.”

 

“It's the very least we could do. The least.” Ginger cooed a little in Jinyoung's arms. “There's a good girl.”

 

“I was worried she'd start crying,” Jinyoung murmured. “But she's so peaceful.”

 

“She's all cried out from being born,” the nurse said. “You should have heard her earlier.”

 

“I'm sure even her crying is pretty.”

 

“You say that now, but wait until it happens every night after you finally get to sleep.”

 

“Even then...I think even then, I still won't be able to be annoyed at someone so beautiful.” He rocked her a little. “Just look at her little nose. She's perfect.”

 

Mark lifted his eyes from Ginger a little bit so he could get a full view of how Jinyoung looked holding her in his arms. It just looked so fitting, so natural. It felt like he'd been living his life waiting for this moment, and now that he'd seen it, his heart felt complete. Not only was he a father to the most darling little boy on the planet, but he was now a father with the love of his life. It felt like his cup of blessings was spilling over, and he didn't want it to ever end. He always wanted Jinyoung to be this happy, for his heart to swell with this much joy, for their daughter to be so beautiful and perfect as she was now.

 

Can I be any happier?, he wondered to himself. Does life even get better than this? But it always did. It was always surprising him by taking him higher whenever he thought he'd found the highest point.


 

The nurse eventually took Ginger to the nursery so Mei Hui could get some rest. They went over their adoption papers and submitted the birth certificate with their daughter's full name listed officially: GINGER MEI TUAN.

 

After they had gone through many hours of formalities and had a discussion with the doctor about monitoring the baby's condition in the first days after her birth, they were told they were free to take Ginger home. Mark was bewildered—when Allison had Lou, she'd stayed in the hospital for two days before she'd brought Lou home.

 

“That's because the woman needs to time to recover, and it's best to have baby with her to nurse during that time,” the doctor explain. “Since you two didn't actually give birth, you're more than welcome to go home. We don't have to hold Ginger an extra amount of time—she's in healthy condition and doesn't need any specialized care. However, you will be bringing her back for several appointments very soon, so we'll be taking another look at her before you know it.”

 

“Shouldn't we bring her back to Mei Hui one last time?” Jinyoung asked anxiously.

 

“She's requested otherwise. You have to understand that for mothers who give their child to adoptive families directly following the birth, it's better to finish it as soon as possible. It gets more difficult to let go the longer they hold onto their children.”

 

So Mark and Jinyoung had been able to return to their car with Ginger in tow. They barely knew what time it was anymore and how long they'd been at the hospital, and they were both exhausted and exhilarated at the same time. They felt like they could sleep for hours, but still like they could stay awake forever, just staring at their daughter. Jinyoung snapped a picture on his phone and sent it to Allison, Jackson, Lou, and both sets of new-grandparents for them to see when they woke up. Both Mark and Jinyoung's families weren't scheduled to fly in for another week, since the delivery was early. They'd be handling the first few days on their own.

 

Ginger slept through the ride, and was still asleep by time they made it home. Both Mark and Jinyoung wanted to keep holding her, but were well aware that they needed to get some rest so they wouldn't be dead on their feet when she needed to be fed. They settled her into her crib, and set the baby monitor before heading back to their own room to crash.

 

“I'm so happy,” Jinyoung murmured as he buried his face into the pillow. “I didn't know it would feel like this. It feels like my world just started. It feels like when I opened the door at Allison's and you were standing there.”

 

“Oh come on,” Mark said with a yawn. “There's no way you fell in love with me as fast as you fell in love with our daughter.”

 

Jinyoung shook his head. “That's not what I meant. It's just, when I saw you for the first time, it felt like everything was going to change for the better. And it feels like that now. Like there's this long and beautiful journey ahead of me. But it's not just me and you and Lou now. It's with one more person who I love more than anything.”

 

“That's fair, then.” He leaned in and pecked Jinyoung's lips. “I love you. Now more than ever before. Raising our daughter together is going to be one of the great joys of my life.”

 

“I love you, too.” Jinyoung's eyes fluttered shut. “But I'm going to love you even more when I wake up.”