Deflecting Mind

Flaming Adolescent, Forsaken Youth

002

-'Deflecting Mind'-

"Recalling A Tale From The Past (Dreaded Baekhyun)"

 


 

Byun Baekhyun always loves himself more than his family members, peers or friends (sometimes). His reasoning was simple, his lucky stars adorned him. That’s why he always appreciated his good lucks. He never encountered misfortune in his life, never. He was very proud of it. Never much he felt grateful to someone in his life, he was sure that nothing will be normal again. He was lucky Hera became his dark knight.

Baekhyun sure he won’t survived, but even a little of luck was still with him. He still hoped it was due his youth was about to end at any moment – wishing justice will prevail by any means.

Baekhyun eyes stared into the dark ceiling. The murkiness was engulfing him. It had been a few minutes since he regained his consciousness. On the other hand, he couldn’t bring himself to move. He wanted to, but couldn’t.

Never in his life, he felt intimidated by anything. Good fortune usually siding with him – that’s why he loves stars. It was in order to acknowledge of his lucky stars.

He recollected, he almost being hit by cars a few times in his life, but was saved. He was sure in elementary, he screwed up his Mathematic test because answering the paper for fifteen minutes was impossible. It was thanks to the late night news he wanted to watch made him sleepy. The week after, he was surprised his Mathematic was above 80.

In middle school, he bumped into a street gang leader. Challenging Baekhyun to fight with his gang alone was very unfair. But, he could get out from it without a scratch. He didn’t even lift a finger. He surmised that the street gang was filled with idiots. They lunged forward at him with five person, however, Baekhyun immediately avoided the fist for him and ducked. The real fight began after that. He sneaked out form the group and hurriedly went away.

In his first year of high school, he figured that everything was boring. He was smart, for sure. He loves to study Chemistry and Mathematic than any other subjects. He often skipped class, but avoided trouble from being called by counseling teacher due to his grades.

He never tried to befriend anyone in particular. He was just aloof, as they said. He knew it will bring trouble if he continued being alone but he loves being alone. They couldn’t keep up with him, his mind whispered. Baekhyun almost laughed loudly when he saw his grades was way too good from students in his grades. He was the first.

On a day that was gloomy, Baekhyun played with two dices in his hand. He wasn’t very sure what to do with his life. He felt boring. Every day it felt like every scene was the same. Out of the blue, he heard something colliding. He stepped out from the alley – the place where he hung out.

He saw a man running towards him. “Help me.” His stomach was bleeding.

Baekhyun looked around. He saw two figures approaching them from afar. He grinned. This was fun, it was very thrilling to play hide and seek game with these people.

“Follow me.” He gestured the man to enter the gloaming alley. Running to the right straight and to the left, he moved a plank of wood hidden against the wooden gate. He asked the man to crawl to the gate.

Few minutes later, he put the plank at the same place. Making sure it didn’t reveal any light, Baekhyun turned to the man.

“They tried to kill you?”

The man exhaled - trying to keep his breathing even. Ripping his cloth, he lifted his shirt and wrapped the ripped clothing around his stomach. “Yes.”

“There are two reasons why you were running. There are two categories and I’m not sure which you fit in. Are you a criminal or police?” He smirked.

The man laughed. “I’m not sure.”

Baekhyun frowned. “Don’t play mind games with me. I’m calling those men or the police.”

“You’re smart.” The man replied. “Do you mind doing me a favor?”

“Depends.”

“Regarding from the way you talk, would you mind enrolling at Seoul Academy?”

“Why should I?” Baekhyun snapped. He knew Seoul Academy was a prestigious learning institute and the number one in Korea.

“I will cover the cost. I am indebted to you.”

Baekhyun searched for honesty in his eyes. He couldn’t sense what the man said was genuine. He knew something was up. If he wanted to repay his kindness, it’s better to give him money. But, he couldn’t figure out what was the secret the man was hiding.

“No need.” He rejected, ready to leave the man.

“What do you want?” He asked Baekhyun. “I will fulfill it as long as you entered the school.”

Baekhyun snickered. “Why do you want me to enroll there? I’m just an ordinary boy.”

The man winced. He felt his wound becoming deeper. His movements were restricted. “A secret.”

“I can’t help you then. I was taught not to be trusting to strangers.” He grimaced wryly. He walked a few steps before the man shouted.

“Murders case regarding scholarship students from that school! They were found dead with different symbols on each of them. Please keep this a secret because it is confidential.”

Baekhyun knew the man was telling him a little of it. “Who are you?”

“A detective hired by the police. I need a spy.”

“Then, I have a request. Put me in the second year classroom. I just want to skip grade. It is boring to be a first year.” He pointed out. The man agreed. Baekhyun found out his name was Yunho.

Thanks to that event, he was now stuck in the equipment store room. He never thought the thrill he sought will be backfired like this. He was frightened. He didn’t know what to do. Sure, he needed to contact Yunho. Yet, he couldn’t even come out from this place, how can he search for the truth? He was far from it.

He didn’t have any friends to tell this. Now, he felt very burden. Slowly motion his right hand, he unlocked his phone.

10 p.m.

He needed to go home. It was best that tomorrow there was no school. He was sure he caught a fever. His body was burning.

 

 

Baekhyun’s journey home was the slowest ever in his seventeen years old life. Something peaceful was about to break. He was spacing out the entire time he sauntered home. His stomach was growling. Hence, he didn’t feel the need to eat even when he saw his favorite strawberry rice cakes.

Soo Jung’s voices filled his head. Her smiling face flashing in his mind – of course, her family will be searching for her. They might be worried for her. The girl once told him that her family was very warm and loving. Her mother and father love her very much. Her older siblings like doting on her because she was the youngest. That’s why her personalities much more of a cry baby and a coward.

Even if he was far from the scene, Baekhyun felt like vomiting. The stench of blood was like filling in the air and drowning Baekhyun within it metallic smell. Alas, Baekhyun could even feel himself tasting the deep red blood. It made his skin crawled.

 

 

The very last face he wanted to see was Huang Hera in front of him when he got to school after one week of absence because of his illness. Everyone knew Jung Soo Jung had met her demise because the news of her death filling the school. The news about Soo Jung made Baekhyun choking himself to death because of his guilt.

He couldn’t bring himself to help her. He remembered puking when he was home. He didn’t even touch his phone due to the recording. He often woke up in the middle of the night because of the nightmare haunting him.

It was the same dream, Soo Jung in front of him and sound of woe screeching in his ears asking why he didn’t help her at all.

Baekhyun felt himself in insomnia. Kyungsoo – a friend that was close to Soo Jung said that his eyes were red and he had eye bags. Almost in the recess, Baekhyun fell asleep. But, often being woke up by the same nightmare. He will end up sweating.

After school, Baekhyun woke up when somebody nudged him. He almost fell from his chair when Huang Hera was in front of him. Huang Hera was the daughter of the school owner. That’s why everyone called her heiress, Baekhyun remembered.

“The organization still looking for you,” she trailed off, sitting on the chair in front of him. “It is lucky that your face wasn’t shown. In addition, they never tried to make an effort to remember the scholarship students’ body, weight and height. I memorized all of the data, that’s why I knew it’s you when I saw you ran. Ah, also…the CCTV were broken at that time too.” She explained.

“You should be killing me.” He mumbled.

“I don’t want to. It’s quite regrettable that the warning I told Soo Jung from meeting the director being ignored. She still insisted of meeting him. I hoped that she said yes, however it was contrast.” Hera said, pulling out bread from her blazer pocket.

“Warning?” Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows. “You mean those posts about the school bad side?”

Hera nodded. “The last letter was about not going to meet that director. If you decline the offer, you will be killed. That’s what I wrote. I was glad that Im Jung Hye moved out from this school before she nearly got scouted.”

“Why are you telling me this? Now?” Baekhyun glared at her.

“You’re the next target.” She answered shortly. He didn’t respond. “I couldn’t carry out my plan to bully you due to you being absent. But, they planned to recruit you tomorrow. You will be called by Hestia to meet the director.”

“What do you mean by bullying me?”

“Either you are becoming dumb because of one week ago or you forgotten yourself. It is obvious to move you out from this school.” Hera answered, rolling her eyes.

“Why?”

“Once you said yes, you cannot get out. That’s why I am willing to be hated by everybody because you will suffer more if you are involved in Thousand Eyes.”

“The name of the organization?”. The heiress nodded.

“What does the organization do?”

“I believe it’s not your problem to care about what we do. I’m just saving you before it’s too late.” She got up and chewed her bread. She walked out of the class, leaving Baekhyun with his own thought.