Oath of Protecting

Flaming Adolescent, Forsaken Youth

 003

-'Oath of Protecting'-

"Stay Out of Sight (Strong Justice)"

 


 

“I have always wanted to be a police officer like my dad. You know, catching bad guys and defending the justice. I want to help people in need. So, Baekhyun, if you have a strong determination – like a will of fire to protect someone. I’m sure there will be courage for you. Justice will always win.”

 

His eyes cracked open. Baekhyun felt last night was the only night he ever comfortable sleeping after the Soo Jung’s incident. Touching his cheeks, he could sense wetness on his fingers.

Tears? He bit his lips. “Am I crying when I slept?”

Shaking his head, he got out of the bed.

 

When Baekhyun opened the door, Hera was standing outside his house. Her arms crossed over her chest. Eyeing the girl, he shouted to his sister farewell and closed the door. Ignoring her, he ambled down the road.

Hera was close behind.

“Byun Baekhyun.”

No answer. He would remind his head to tell she was just an imagination – a ghost, air like creature to be exact.

“Byun Baekhyun.” She called over running to keep up with him. Baekhyun steps were becoming faster. Annoyed, she took big steps and ran towards him, grabbing his hand forcefully. Baekhyun yelped.

“Are you deaf?!” She yelled when Baekhyun let go of her hand. His black orbs were glowering at her. “Do you want to die, huh?”

“I ask, do you want to die, Baekhyun?!” She pushed him backwards. Baekhyun stumbled. Several people in the neighborhood were watching them. Hera knew she caused quite a scene. But, feeling enraged, she didn’t feel anything at all towards the boy.

Baekhyun didn’t respond. Turning to walk, she shouted. “Do you understand what you’re getting into?!”. He halted. Letting out a heavy sigh, he locked his eyes on her.

“If I run away, it will be the same. If I hide, it is the same. They will be searching for me. Recruiting me as you would like to call it. If I’m backing away, I am a coward. What else I’m going to do instead of confronting my fate?”

Hera hesitated to answer. She didn’t expect him to be asking this deep. She never thought about it. That’s why she still in Thousand Eyes. “Let’s destroy them from the inside.” She mumbled.

Baekhyun scoffed. “What you’re doing just contradicting.”

“Excuse me? Is it the safest way I can think of!” She snapped, stomping her foot to the ground - objecting the very idea of what he was saying. He looked around, afraid they will disturbed the neighborhood. He reached out for her hand and shoved her to an alley.

“You’re following their orders too. Let just say, your way of destroying can make people suffer. You want them to go away however you bullied them. You can just tell them!” He hissed. Glancing to his watch – he was late.

“It’s not as simple as that!” Hera replied, tucking several strands of hair to her ear. “If they know…if they know, you won’t get away! You won’t ever get away. You will be killed or for the worst, they tortured your inside!”

“Just what is Thousand Eyes?” His tone was firm.

“We’re an organization. The organization was ruled by three prestigious families. They all have position and known to be in political figures. They have connections. That’s why everyone that tried to destroy us whether from outside or inside. They met their ends pitifully when the secret slipped.” She explained. Eyes looking around the neighborhood and she stopped talking. Hearing no sound of life around them, she fixated her eyes on Baekhyun.

“You understand, right?” She queried. “Listen, our organization…they have the members everywhere. Even inside the police or in bureau of defense. In school, they have spies everywhere. They told details to Zeus and Zeus will tell it to Chronos. Chronos will decide what to do if the organization’s spies find mole in Thousand Eyes. It’s not very beautiful story to say.”

“How do you know this much about Thousand Eyes?” He eyed her warily. He was anxious if she was lying to him and will rat him out. He tensed up, trying to focus on his hearing because he couldn’t believe Hera. He couldn’t look away from her albeit he will raise her suspicion. Baekhyun was the type of person that won’t hand his trust easily to people. He learnt his lesson.

“I’m one of the higher members in the organization.” She deadpanned.

“No one…” Baekhyun stepped back. “No one can ever be higher members in an organization. No, I mean…you’re so young. I can’t…” he held his breath. In a moment, he forgot her face and the alley they’re in. Baekhyun breathing was uneven. He clutched his chest. He was aching inside. The core of his heart hurt, screaming with rage and crying with nostalgia. Like it was singing a song of woe in the shattered piece of his memories like dramatic sound of a piano.

He felt it was coming back. All of it – a piece he very much wants to forget.

“Hey, do you know that dolphin can sleep with one eyes open?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. What’s wrong with his table mate this year? He groaned inwardly. High school can be very unreasonable. To be seating beside a chatterbox, that’s totally not Baekhyun type of human he expected himself to befriend. He pretty much in the middle because he like noise and sometimes didn’t. To the point, he wanted to beat the person who talks too much to death when he didn’t like it.

No one can force him to open his mouth and talk when he didn’t favor it. They knew how to stay away from Baekhyun in middle school. However, the guy beside him was not the one in his middle school.

It had been three days since the school opening. Baekhyun felt he didn’t even find peace in this school. Everything was too weird. Maybe because he chose a high school that was different from his other schoolmates. No one backed away from him on day one. Yet, they gave up on day two and day three because Baekhyun gave them cold shoulder.

But, this person beside him didn’t even know the meaning of “giving up” and he hated that kind of person even more.

He was lucky that the teacher in charge entered the classroom. It stopped the guy from talking.

It was halfway through the lesson Baekhyun yawned. He rubbed his eyes. It was his fault to read one novel for a day. On 2.45 am he finished the novel.

“Psst…” his seatmate whispered. Baekhyun glared at the guy. He was grinning and his eyes were to bright in Baekhyun’s preference.

“Hey, do you know the harder you concentrate on falling asleep, the less likely to fall asleep.”

Baekhyun sighed. “That backwards, idiot and I’m not that sleepy.” He mumbled. Eyes locked on the whiteboard and tried to copy the notes as fast as possible. He knew his writing look like some scratch and doodle.

“Whoa, that awesome!” He commented when he saw Baekhyun’s writing. His hand didn’t move because he was too focused on Baekhyun. Baekhyun scowl was clear on his face. He didn’t look please with the-chatterbox-guy-beside-him-that-he-don’t-even-know-his-name-and-spatting-a-do-you-know-fact. Gosh, he wanted to choke him so badly. “You know you have a talent to be a doctor since your writing is like that!” He cooed.

Baekhyun felt the pen he was gripping tight in his hand. Yes, Baekhyun had it with this guy. He was too loud and just too nosy. He couldn’t handle this do-you-know-fact guy! He kicked the chair the guy was sitting strongly.

The teacher voice wasn’t in his ears anymore. What he listen was just gasping sound and hysterical scream from the girl beside do-you-know-fact. He apparently had kicked him till his body was closing in with the girl. Squishing her and she was very frightened till she pushed do-you-know-fact.

Poor boy that he landed on the floor with flaming red on his cheek and his face showed the pain as his eyes widened from the shock.

“Don’t talk to me! You all are just too loud. It hurts my ears!” Baekhyun shouted, throwing his pen on the floor and walked out from the class.

 

 

The next day he came to school, his table had writing from a red permanent marker with insults and swear words. Baekhyun was stunned. Even he knew people didn’t very like him or hated him in middle school, they never tried to harm his things: bullying. They knew Byun Baekhyun was the teachers favorite. Whereas in this school, he sure he will not get a very nice treatment from now on. Well, that lies with the fault of kicking the guy and snapping at his classmates.

“Wow, this is astonishing.” He muttered loudly. Earning looks from the students.

“’Go die and yourself’. ‘You think you are good just because you’re the first year student representative in opening ceremony? D*mn no! Because that are bulls**t!’. ‘I never think ill of you till you had nerves to do that to your seatmate? He just talking and not doing anything to bother you. The truth are out, you’re an as****e, Byun Baekhyun. You have no feelings. You have no heart’. ‘I quite believe my instinct the first I saw your face and heard about your attitude. You’re really a d*mn ing rascal!’.” He read loudly what written on his table. His jaw hardened. His fist balled.

“Just wow!” He grinned. “Don’t you think it is wasting time to be writing this? I will just switch another table after reporting to the janitor and a teacher about it, you boneless chickens. Just write and no bite. You all are more d*mn than me.”

Baekhyun sat his bag down on the chair. “Ah…I should go and look for the janitor~” he sing sang. Pinching his nose to prevent some tears escaping, Baekhyun went to the emergency staircase on the floor.

He sat down on the cold concrete. Placing his head between his knees and pinching his nose because he was afraid if anyone walked in they will laughed at him.

“Who said I have no feelings and no heart? I am a human. Of course I feel emotion and if I don’t have a heart, I wouldn’t feel pain.” He uttered between muffled sobs.

Baekhyun cried his heart out and didn’t go back to class. He has a heart. He has feelings. Why people just think he was a robot with no void emotions? He was a human. He was. But, that was just how he is. Why can’t they accept him for who he is?

“Do you know, you can’t hum while holding your nose closed.” A voice said within his ear reach. Baekhyun turned his face and saw the same sparkling eyes beamed at him. His bangs swept by the spring breeze and Baekhyun felt even worst.

Do-you-know-fact had seen him crying. He would tell his classmates by now. They would make fun of him being like a child weeping.

“What?” Baekhyun rasped. His voice cracking as he glowered at do-you-know-fact.

“Firstly, I am sorry.” He tightened his hands. “My sister once told me when I started talking people will either be amused or annoyed. I love facts and saying it to people is a great thing. I know I’m not that bright, however I love to tell people those facts because I know even if excellent students are smart. They don’t know these facts and those facts are real and at the same time it maybe not real. Despite of that, it’s fun to see their reaction. I’m sorry if what I did had disturbed you mentally. I’m sorry.”

“I…” Baekhyun felt his head was white. It was the first time someone outside his family told him a genuine apologize. He didn’t know how to respond. “I...should you be hating me?”

“Why should I?” the boy chuckled. “It’s quite surprising but it’s not that bad. I mean my chair was kicked and being slapped by a girl. It’s not me getting kicked and it just my cheek got the ache. I’m not physically hurt. You don’t even bully me. So, why should I?”

“But, I…it worst.” He sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m very sorry. When my blood boils, I don’t really think about what others thinking. I hate loudness, sometimes. Yet, I would be fine with it, sometimes.”

“We’re even. So, back to zero?”

Baekhyun eyed him. He felt butterflies in his stomach. “I…”

“I will make sure to accompany you get a new table. They went too far. I saw it. I promised I won’t tell anyone about you.” He gave him a reassuring smile. “Back to zero?”

“Byun Baekhyun.” He extended his hand for a handshake.

“I know you. You’re mister famous guy. Hence, do you know my name?”

Baekhyun let out a little laugh. He was funny. “I don’t know your name.”

“Park Chanyeol is my name. It is very much factual and can be looked up on my birth certificate, you know.” Chanyeol reached out his hand. They shook hands. Breaking laughter, they stand up together.

From that event, Chanyeol was Baekhyun only friend. The best friend he really trusts with his heart. No one would befriend Baekhyun because they still despised him. Chanyeol and Baekhyun shared some secrets together. Baekhyun was entertained with Chanyeol facts. Some didn’t believe that Baekhyun and Chanyeol had made peace with each other. Due to that, Baekhyun’s bullying reduced and hardly there were things would endanger him. Seconds turned into minutes and time was just passing by like a lulling wind.

One day, Baekhyun’s tranquility was broken by Jinyong and Daehyun. They’re the school most problematic students.

That day, Baekhyun told Chanyeol that he will wait for him by the school gate to visit a DVD store. Chanyeol was talking to a girl about something and those two dragged him forcefully when he was off guard – from behind.

At the back of school, people rarely came. So, Jinyong and Daehyun made it a point to punch Baekhyun’s face first. Then, one of them kicked him on the stomach. Daehyun punted his shin.

It hurts.

Baekhyun couldn’t do anything.

“Look, he really emotionless.” Jiyong told Daehyun with laughter tracing in his voice.

“The rumor is true, he have no heart or feelings. Then, he’s very much a robot.” Daehyun added. Giving Baekhyun a forceful on his stomach. Baekhyun wished he would die that time given the pain on his body. It really sting.

“Let’s end this with double punch,” Jiyong pointed out. Baekhyun panted, his breathing ragged.

Before the knuckles could get to him, Baekhyun closed his eyes only to listen for the sound of bones cracking.

“You two are the shame of our school!” He heard a voice roared. “You beat people up. I will make sure today is the last day both of you brought trouble here.”

Baekhyun recognized that voice. It was the principal. He felt someone touching his shoulder.

“Baekhyun, are you okay?” Chanyeol’s voice made he nodded. It was a soothing voice. There was a hint Chanyeol was worried. Baekhyun knew he could rely on that voice aside from his family. Chanyeol was indeed a good friend.

 

 

“So, you’re the one that beat them?” Baekhyun curiously eyed Chanyeol. The taller was visiting him at home and told the story he saw Baekhyun being pulled by the two.

“Yes. It resulted them staying at hospital.” He answered.

“I don’t even know you can do some taekwando.” He gave Chanyeol a smile.

“It’s necessary.” He responded. Taking the mandarin orange from the basket he brought, he peeled off the skin. “Do you know that having martial art knowledge will help you in the future?”. It didn’t sound like a fact. It was a question, Baekhyun noticed.

“Do you know I am investigating my father’s death?”

Baekhyun eyes widened. His mouth was gaping. “I don’t…I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. I pretty much need someone to tell this secret too. It so burdening. My father died two years ago. He was investigating some kind of organization. However, father demised was set when the organization knew he was a spy. I don’t know very much but there was a hunting spear symbol on my father’s boy. Some of the higher ups told my mother about Artemis. Since then, I very much wanted to avenge my father. I want to hold up justice.” Chanyeol managed to tell him in one breath.

“You’re very righteous.” Baekhyun remarked. Chanyeol grimaced.

“I have always wanted to be a police officer like my dad. You know, catching bad guys and defending the justice. I want to help people in need. So, Baekhyun, if you have a strong determination – like a will of fire to protect someone. I’m sure there will be courage for you. Justice will always win.”

“That’s how you saved me from those two?” queried Baekhyun. “Will of fire? It sounds cheesy but very right.”

“Do you know Baekhyun will of fire may never burn. You may passed it down, forget it or don’t want to have anything with it but it will appear in a right time. The right time for you to have valor in yourself – you will find out justice is very sweet even the truth is bitter. That’s why I consider will of fire is a determination.” Chanyeol took a bite of the orange.

“Chanyeol, you’re so matured!” Baekhyun praised. “Your way of thinking exceeded me, no kidding!”

Chanyeol almost choked on his orange because Baekhyun didn’t usually confess his accolade to someone. He’s pretty much a person that talks little. Min Ah came into Baekhyun’s room. She was Baekhyun’s older sister.

“Baek, I forgot to ask earlier. But, what do you want for your birthday?”

“Just two blueberry cheesecake on my birthday. Oh, and a new pair of socks. Also, a new novel by Stephen King - the one I don’t have in my collection.” He chirped in, taking a grape from the fruits basket on his bed side. He popped it into his mouth.

“Your birthday coming?” Chanyeol looked at Min Ah that had left the room. “When?”

“About four days from now.” He answered.

“I’m so getting you a present!” Chanyeol grinned. “You gave me a guide book on how to make puns on my birthday. What’s wrong with repaying it, right?”

“Gosh, that just so cheesy.” Baekhyun commented.

“Oh, believe me, it’s not that cheesy. In fact, do you know it will be the most awesome gift you got from this Park Chanyeol?”

“Yeah, swag like you, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun snorted. “Do you know, I won’t be amazed if you totally don’t make it swag.”

“Heh, let see how much I can astound you then. Wait for your birthday, Byun Baekhyun because I am sure my gift will be the most valuable one aside from your sister!”

Baekhyun almost cringed from his words. “I will be waiting.”

Chanyeol bid him farewell when he was going home. Stating to Min Ah, “Do you know, I will give him the best present ever?”

“Yes, yes…” Min Ah replied as she giggled with Byul, her daughter. Seeing Chanyeol off the door, Baekhyun heard Chanyeol yelling.

“Hey, wait for my gift!”

 

 

Baekhyun’s birthday was pretty much being surrounded by Min Ah and Byul wishing for him. Min Ah promised to bake him cakes when he got home with Chanyeol. Arriving at school with hope to gave Chanyeol a remark of ‘best present ever’. Baekhyun hummed and opened his text book. He was just floating with happiness. The day felt very colorful and it was like there were flowers in the scenery he ambled.

The class door opened and a very disturbed looking Madam Go asked the students to sit in their place.

Baekhyun realized that Chanyeol was absent. He never missed school or late. In fact, he was much punctual from Baekhyun. He was never late and have record in his attendance. When Baekhyun arrived he will spout ‘do you know’ fact and bombarding him with lame jokes. Baekhyun will attack with a snide remark and Chanyeol will be going on about ‘do you know’ fact again. It was different facts each day. It pretty much hilarious to Baekhyun’s,

“Dear students, I have something to tell you.” She took a deep breath. “Yesterday on 11.00 p.m, Park Chanyeol was found dead by the park. The police found a symbol of a clock with roman numbers without clock hands on his body. They were carved by a knife. Please walk in groups when you go back home and today after school there will be a memorial for Park Chanyeol at the outskirt church.”

Everyone was surprised by what she said. They were chatting about it and Baekhyun felt he frozen on the spot.

The sight of the flowers and colorful were switched with a crack and the colors was monochromatic. His happiness faded in a short time and the smile on his lips was gone. This fact very much had struck him.

Baekhyun was shocked.

Thus, he felt himself seeing Chanyeol’s last smiling face at his house, reaching out his hand to grab air, he out.

He knew a fact: The very best friend I trust met his own demised. I can never meet him

again. To see him and listening to his facts because…because he was gone.

 

 

 

The next time Baekhyun opened his eyes he was in his room. There was two women by his side, sobbing.

“Min Ah…” he called out his sister.

“Yes, Baek?” She assisted him to get up.

“Chanyeol…he…it’s not true, right?”

Hearing that, Min Ah broken down even more, Baekhyun was pretty much in tears. Chanyeol’s mother asked Min Ah to leave them alone after the three of them calmed down.

“Baekhyun,” her voice was soothing, just like Chanyeol he knew. Remembering this, Baekhyun felt his tears rolled down. “Chanyeol was looking forward for your birthday. That child…he wanted to astound you as soon as you opened his gift. I believe he really want you to have this.” The woman handed him a baby blue package. He looked at her. “Go on. Open it.”

Baekhyun tore the wrapper carefully. He should treasure this because there won’t be another same baby blue wrapper from Chanyeol again.

The first he saw his present, Baekhyun was a sobbing mess.

His birthday present was a handmade journal from Chanyeol.

The cover of the journal was some of their pictures, the pictures they managed to take on the school events. The back cover was the photos they were posing for a cool shot and doing some dumbs action.

Baekhyun opened the journal slowly. He was greeted by Chanyeol’s neat hand writing. He smiled a bit. He knew Chanyeol tried hard just to maintain that tidy hand writing because he was lazy to perfecting his writing even when Baekhyun praised his neat writing. It was a very special treat from his best friend.

Baekhyun read word by word.

 

Dear Byun Baekhyun,

Gosh, this is very much a cheesy greeting. Yo, sup’, aloof Baekhyun with badass aura. My dear friend.

Happy 17 birthday!

You’ve gotten older day by day. If I can count it to years, I would still hope to be your friend till we’re sixties. You’re an amazing friend, really!

Do you know, I don’t tell lies! Because justice won’t prevail if lies are there! In this journal, it is the truth. All of it, I swear to you.

This journal is a very special handmade ‘do you know’ facts made by me. I realized that both of us are close. Even so, we don’t know that much about each other. Maybe, it because you’re secretive sometimes or I was too scared to ask. Even we’re close sometimes I am afraid of you. Blame it on your eyes. They’re pretty much threatening when you glare at somebody!

This a journal of do you know facts about Park Chanyeol, Byun Baekhyun, our friendship and our families also a ton of special facts I tried to collect in the time I did this.

So, do you know it’s only one in the world? There will be no other like this. Baekhyun! Treasure my present well because I am sure I will not treat you to your favorite rice cakes if you ruined it!

Yours sincerely,

Do you know I am Park Chanyeol?

PS: Of course you know because you’re the best friend I ever had!

 

Baekhyun wiped his tears. Flipping to the next page.

 

Do You Know Park Chanyeol?

# He have derp face (from his sister).

#He loves facts, no matter what kind of genre it is.

#He loves mushroom noodle and apple juice.

# The very moment, he met Byun Baekhyun(his soon to be bestfriend) he pissed him off.

# The 1st fact he asked Baekhyun : ‘Hey, do you know that dolphin can sleep with one eyes open?’

# He felt sorry about Baekhyun being bullied the next day. He won’t rat him out cause he is the man of his words to everybody.

#Do you know Park Chanyeol have a very strong sense of justice, dear friend?

 

Baekhyun read another pages and found a page drawn with stars in blue and purple colored pen.

 

Do You Know Byun Baekhyun?

-I know my very best friend loves stars. Even so, I still don’t know why he adorned them that much every time we talked about constellations and galaxy. Baekhyun, now I knew why you love Orion that much. It is beautiful and a piece of cake to observe too. Thus, requiring you love stars and galaxy. My notes will change a little.

* He’s an aloof person, a quiet type at a moment or a boisterous one.

* He have killer aura in his eyes when he glared at people

*Baekhyun’s favorite drink is lemon juice.

* Fav foods: Strawberry rice cakes and chicken ramen (extra spicy).

*Fav color: Blue and red.

* He has a heart, easily hurts. He has so much whirl of emotions inside, he just don’t show it.

* Tell somebody if you’re hurt. You’re a human, friend.

Do you know;

*. On Jupiter and Saturn it rains diamonds.

* There are more stars in space than there are grains of sand on every beach in the world.

* In the past 20 years, scientists have found over 1,000 planets outside of our solar system.

* Saturn’s density is low enough that the planet would float in water.


* 68% of the universe is dark energy, and 27% is dark matter; both are invisible, even with our powerful telescopes. This means we have only seen 5% of the universe from earth.

* Earth is the only planet that is not named after a god.

 

Yes, that’s it. Baekhyun wailed when he saw their last picture together after he read through the journal. He noticed Chanyeol mum was gone by the time he closed it. Expecting her to be like that because she lost her child – his best friend.

 

 

Since Chanyeol died, Baekhyun only appeared for test or exam. Otherwise, he will skip class because he it was not same without Chanyeol. Everybody was boring, they didn’t even try to do something unordinary. Baekhyun was just fine with being alone and got used to it. He was still bothered by the symbol on Chanyeol’s body. Later, it was a chaos in news that several students were found dead with weird symbols on them.

They have one thing in common; that academy. However, except Chanyeol because he didn’t even attend that school.

When Baekhyun was about to give up, Yunho showed up to give him an answer.

 

 

“Hey, don’t ignore me!” Hera shouted.

Baekhyun was out from his own little world. It was like his wave of nostalgia just went away.

“You can put faith to believe me. I won’t betray you. Let’s…let just do this together. I don’t want anymore murders.” She sounded desperate enough to make Baekhyun took her hand. They walked to his house.

“First, let just sort this things out.” He told her. “And…then we can do some plan to make sure how I’m gonna get away from them.”

Hera smiled, muttering ‘thank god’. It was a very brief moment, but he won’t ever forget, the voice in his ears.

 

“Do you know Baekhyun will of fire may never burn. You may passed it down, forget it or don’t want to have anything with it but it will appear in a right time. The right time for you to have valor in yourself – you will find out justice is very sweet even the truth is bitter. That’s why I consider will of fire is a determination.”