Losing the Game

Flaming Adolescent, Forsaken Youth

004

-'Losing the Game'-

"To Fall for Despair"


 

“Thank you,” Hera said to Min Ah. Min Ah placed two bowl of tomato soup and chrysanthemum tea on the table.

The woman nodded, leaving the room due to Baekhyun’s request that they will be having a serious talk. She almost lectured Baekhyun because he was late to school. He told her he will be absent today. Min Ah wanted to scold Baekhyun because of what he did again. He never skipped school after moving out from his previous school. But, Baekhyun’s pleading eyes stopped her from doing so.

Instead, she welcomed Hera, the guest Baekhyun brought with a broad grin. She was wondering if she was Baekhyun’s girlfriend because her brother never has a girlfriend. Girls hated him. Min Ah assumed it was because Baekhyun’s personality. She knew her brother well, after all she once disliked Baekhyun too.

 

Once he made sure Min Ah wasn’t there, Baekhyun averted his eyes to Hera. The girl was sipping the hot soup slowly. “Delicious!” She chirped in. Scooping her spoon in the soup, she filled her stomach. It was her five taste before she hear Baekhyun clearing his throat.

Realizing how unreserved she was, Hera scratched her head. She was embarrassed to look at him. She predicted, it must be because it was so long since she had ever felt this free with somebody – to talk and show a side of her true colors.

“I’m sorry,” She glanced at him, eyes on the bowl. “I didn’t have anything for breakfast. The soup is good and I was hungry. I was worried if you will get to school that fast. So, I bolted from my house before the chauffeur could take me in the car.”

Baekhyun didn’t say anything. This girl in front of him wasn’t like Hera from the school. The Hera he knew was an arrogant girl that bullied the weak. She was the heiress of the influential Huang corp. He didn’t expect her to be like this. To be smiling and sharing a table with commoners, like what she said – she hated scholarship students. Baekhyun couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

“If you want to eat, then go on.” Baekhyun reassured her.

She faked chuckles. “Can I?”. Baekhyun nodded as a reply. Hera lifted her spoon and dipped it in the soup.

“So, how do you know where I live?” He queried. It took a few moments before the girl fixed her gaze on him.

“My father is the owner of the school. The director holds information about the school. I was tasked to memorize the scholarship students’ profile, where they live, their grades, their whole body measures and others. I have photographic memory, the organization said it was beneficial to them if I was tasked to it. They can easily choose who to recruit after observing their results in examination. Then, they will be scouted in the organization by the director. Telling them the truth of why the school took them and if they accept, Thousand Eyes will give them an alias in the organization. That alias came from Greek or Norse mythology figures. The alias that represented them in the organization is the one that depict their best speciality in studies or their traits.” Hera explained in one breath, scooping the soup again.

“What if they reject it?”

Hera halted eating. She put the spoon down. “Easy. They will die.”

Baekhyun scoffed. “If they are asking us whether to enter or not, it is unfair. You left us with no choice because we didn’t know we will be killed if we declined.”

“I’m sorry. That’s how the organization is. I can’t do anything about it. I am powerless even if I am high ranking.” She said solemnly.

“The news about several students died with weird symbols on their body…it’s Thousand Eyes, right?”

Hera nodded. “I never much killed somebody. I was lucky I never confront be ordered to kill them. But, I really tried my best! Before I bully someone in the target of the organization, I will give them warning. And, if they don’t heed to my warnings and moved out on the day they will be scouted. That’s how the line is drawn. I can’t interfere anymore after that. The organization will be suspicious. They have no choice but to work for the organization. The rest of their life and if they tried to betray us, they will be killed and the fate goes on to the family.”

“My friend…” Baekhyun exhaled. “My best friend, he didn’t enter the school. But, what was his fault? The police found a symbol of a clock with roman numbers without clock hands on his body.”

Hera widened her eyes. She looked very surprised when he told her that. Especially the symbol part.

“My,” she gasped. “That symbol…that’s the only symbol the organization members are afraid most. It means that, he killed your best friend specially, himself. He never tried to taint his hands with blood. That means something for him to go and murder someone. Almost everyone in Thousand Eyes doesn’t know how he looks like. He is pretty much the strongest leader of the organization. He’s the boss. Every order came from him after we reported it to Chronos.” She uttered. “He is the real brain behind Chronos. He is Chronos shadow - the leader that comes from one of the three families.”

“Who is he? Is he that scary?” Baekhyun took his tea and drank it.

“Oh, yes. He really is. He is evil and manipulative. That’s what I heard from the rumors, at first. But, then…I knew it myself. He’s very cunning.” Her fingers trembled. “His name is Aion. You know, the reason why the symbol doesn’t have clock hands is to depict Aion. Aion is the god of eternity, personifying cyclical and unbounded time. It means that what he says is a law or order in Thousand Eyes.”

Baekhyun understand it now. If the clock hands were not there, humans will never know what the time is. The time will cease to work and what left was just infinity time universe.

“I’m sorry if I reminded you of bad memories, but what is your friend’s name?” She asked. “By the way, do you want to eat the soup? It will get cold later.”

Baekhyun pushed the bowl for her. “I just don’t feel like eating. Have it.” Hera took the bowl gladly. “His name is Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol.”

“If I remember…he’s the one that made half of the organization caught by police. They later sent to the national defense institute. I heard none of high ranking members were there. However, there were few of our scientists gone because of that. I heard Aion was furious because half of them was what functioning the organization as it whole.”

“Chanyeol did that?” Baekhyun felt proud and flabbergasted by his best friend at the same time. “How?”

“A traitor. Chanyeol found a traitor half dead and brought him to the hospital. Artemis was tasked to kill that one. But, he managed to get away unscathed and when we found out your friend was causing the half of our downfall. Aion decided to get rid of Chanyeol because he was the one that drag police in this mess. That’s why the organization tried to scout more members now. They want them to work fast as a repay for Thousand Eyes paying their school fees. Also, it’s for covering the lost of the research department.”

“How did they know it’s Chanyeol? They should watch him and put him in witness program, right?” Baekhyun locked his gaze on Hera, unfaltering.

She showed him a pitiful smile. “Thousand Eyes have many members. They are place in the government offices. Even in the police. That’s why your friend was easily murdered. The organization got details from that.”

Baekhyun let out a heavy sigh. He knew what he was messing with. A big influential organization with many connections. He didn’t know if he could pull it off or not, but if he didn’t try how will he know that’s a failure or a success. Hence, he knew he maybe won’t be able to survive.

It’s whether dead or alive, with several percent of chances out of 100. He was willing to take a risk. For a world with peace and avenging Chanyeol, he was willing to die for it. “Let’s get the plan into motion.”

 

 

Baekhyun went to school early that day. He found Hera standing outside, chatting with her followers. He knew she was watching his every move. They were ready for today. He couldn’t get close to her. Hera told him that everyone will be suspicious of them. He knew that. He didn’t want risking for a fall.

They discussed the plan with Yunho till evening. Yunho promised to assist them as best as he could before the trigger could be point at Baekhyun. Hera said she will be protecting him if anything goes wrong, emphasizing it was her oath. Baekhyun said he will do his best to protect her too, he carried will of fire. It blaze in his heart.

 

In the recess, Baekhyun was called by a girl. She was a beautiful girl with a warm smile on her face. “Hello, Byun Baekhyun. Are you alright?”

“Yes?” He didn’t see her before. He read the name tag on her blazer, Kang Seulgi.

Seulgi smiled. “I’m the student council president. I was asked by the director on a favor. He wants to meet you this evening on 4 p.m. You can’t decline this. It’s very important. That’s all. Thank you.”

Baekhyun didn’t get to reply. Now, he knew the true identity of Hestia. Like what Hera told him, Seulgi was very warm by the way she talk. He got it why people will go to meet the director. Anyway, the girl didn’t really need to tell him because he will go to meet the director too.

 

 

Baekhyun gathered some courage before opening the door in front of him. He wanted to close his eyes and forget Soo Jung’s image on the floor. He couldn’t. The sight made him wanted to vomit again.

“Ah, Byun Baekhyun. Welcome and have a seat.” A man in his forties said. He was sitting in the director seat and Baekhyun saw Hera standing beside a guy. There were five people surrounding him. The total of people in the room was seven, including the director. Those five surrounded Baekhyun.

Baekhyun just wanted to sink in the chair and disappear because it was silent.

“The reason I called you is for a future agreement. You can get how much money you want, houses everywhere and many food you will get to eat. That is, if you join us. You are signed here under Yunho’s name. Thus, we covered you studies with our money. You had shown us brilliant achievement in examination from your old school record.” Director Lee skipping the file in front of him, glancing at Baekhyun in front of him.

“I don’t understand it if you talk in riddle like that, Director Lee.” Baekhyun lied. He understood everything. Hera had filled him with details he needed to know.

“Join us, the Thousand Eyes. You have perfect grade in Chemistry and Mathematic. I would like to appoint your alias as Balder. Taken from Norse god. Balder is a Norse god of light but he pretty much have destructive power. I would like to appoint your position as the apprentice of Doctor Kim in our development lab.” The director said.

“I still don’t understand what you’re getting at,” Baekhyun retorted.

Director Lee chuckled. “Of course, of course you don’t. You don’t know anything. That’s very rude of me, mister Byun.”

Director Lee told him the purpose of scholarship student in the school is to recruit them in the organization and several other things.

“So, are you interested? Please give me a yes or no because I don’t want you to get out before answering.” Director Lee grimaced.

“Yes,” Baekhyun replied, earning a clap from the director. He stood up and turned to Hera. Hera knew the look in his eyes.

“Director, I want to ask something…” he stood in front of Director Lee, closing their gaze by the distance. He fished out his phone from his pocket and dialed Yunho number to give him the signal.

“Yes?”

“About my answer, what would I get if I say….no?” And Baekhyun immediately pushed the director’s desk to make sure he didn’t get anything out. He heard the man screamed. Baekhyun knew he had crashed the man bone.

Baekhyun heard clicking sound of gun pointed at him. Before he could hear that, he head body landing on the floor. Hera just kicked the guy beside her.

Three of the members in the room glared at them. “Athena, you traitor!” A girl lunged at Hera and she was blocking her attacks. The girl didn’t give her room to punch her. Baekhyun wanted to help Hera but he was stopped by one boy and one girl.

“Artemis have her hands full with the traitor and Hades had fallen. You will die!” The boy got a knife out from his pant. Baekhyun needed to fight them before the police arrived. He needed to stall the time. He hoped he could do it in time. He was dodging the knife attack and searching for an opening to get away but the girl made it difficult for him as she aided the guy from behind.

He managed to hold the guy hand and throw the knife in the corner of the room. Baekhyun was punched by the guy. Before he collapsed on the floor, he managed to boot the guy legs and kicked his head hard.

The door was opened and what surprised Baekhyun wasn’t Yunho but a beautiful blonde woman holding a gun in her hand – pointing it at Baekhyun.

“Baekhyun, no!” Hera lunged towards him before he could make out what was occurring and before he knew it both of them were falling outside of the window Hera had broke with her knife.

They both fell in the ground with a huge impact. Luckily, they fell on the grass. Hera hastily moved when she heard the gun shooting. She gestured Baekhyun to motion and they were running when they heard footsteps after them.

Hera was limping and Baekhyun was doing his best to run. They were out of the school gate. Hera grabbed Baekhyun hand to the alley and both of them were running.

“Where is Yunho?!” Hera screamed.

“I don’t know!” Baekhyun replied. He put the phone in his pocket when the line didn’t connect. “What happened?”

“We’re screwed!” Hera shouted. “That woman is Aphrodite. The master of disguise in our organization. She must have known the details about the police!”

Baekhyun panted, stopping to gain his breath. His phone rang.

“Hello, Baekhyun!” Yunho voice made Hera and Baekhyun glad. “I’m sorry to inform you however they got the police! They jammed our signal before we made it to your school and we found your sister café on fire. There were several people died in the café. I’m sorry for you loss, Baekhyun because Byun Min Ah and Byun Byul died in the fire before the fire brigade could get to them.”

Baekhyun and Hera exchanged glances. Baekhyun felt crushed. His family died. It was their lost. He collapsed down the street, blacking out.