Athena

Flaming Adolescent, Forsaken Youth

 

001

 - 'Athena' -

"Goddess of reason, wisdom, intelligence, skill, peace, warfare, battle strategy, and handicrafts."

 


 

The gymnasium was filled with laughter. It wasn’t laughter of joy, it rather a festive of humiliation. Baekhyun always see it happening in PE class. The teachers in charge left whenever they had assigned them to do the sport. They will come back ten minutes before the class ends. It had always been quite a sight for Baekhyun.

Yes, to see someone being bullied in front of him. However, he couldn’t do anything else about it. Not even any other scholarship students that enrolled in this school. They couldn’t go against Huang Hera.

It was lucky enough that Baekhyun didn’t share the same class with the heiress. He assumed he will be the target if he was in her class. But, in PE class, his class will be watching the ‘torturing’ scene happening in Hera’s class. They had a lesson together with the girl class.

“Please stop!” Jung Hye screamed at top of her lungs. The girl had few bruises on her skin. It was to be expected when someone threw basketball at full power to you.

“What?” Hera smirked as she took another ball from her classmate.

“I can’t bear to watch this,” Soo Jung hung her head down. Apparently, she was standing next to Baekhyun. Slowly, she took her palm to cover her eyes, as if she was seeing a grotesque scene.

“Please let time go faster.” Mumbled Kyungsoo – he was leaning against the wall.

“Well, let’s do buzzer beater guys!” Hera beamed. Baekhyun still locked his gaze to Jung Hye. She was flailing her arms to get away from two girls. They were dragging her to the basketball net. Jung Hye wanted to run away. However, the girls gripped her shoulders tightly.

“Okay!” Eun Woo gave a thumb up to the heiress when Jung Hye didn’t move. Students of 2-C gathered around to watch Hera. Meanwhile, some students of 2-A (Baekhyun’s class) chose to do another thing or joined the bullying too.

“One.” The heiress hit the ball to the floor. Her right foot steps forward. “Two.” She switched her feet. “Three.” A smile ghosted her face when the ball got into the net and hit Jung Hye directly on her head.

The girl wailed a cry of pain. Tears were streaking her face. Her forehead was bleeding slowly.

“What…what I did to you for you to make me this way?!”

The question made the whole gym silence. Hera put her hand on her hip, smiling victoriously.

“I hate scholarship students. If you can’t stand it, just get out from this school. It is simple as that.” She deadpanned, crossing her arms over her chest.

Jung Hye weeps bitterly.

Baekhyun trembled. “She’s cruel.” Soo Jung uttered.

“Ah, hurry up and ring the bell. I want to go home.” Kyungsoo yawned.

“Hera, the teacher’s coming!” Umji informed as she rushed to the middle of the court. The heiress nodded and went to Jung Hye.

“Are you okay?” she was faking. Jung Hye didn’t even want to be touched by Hera.

Madam Tang was shocked when she saw Jung Hye’s bleeding. “Oh my god, what happen to you?” She scrambled down to Jung Hye. “Every time we got gym class you always have bruises!”

The woman glanced to her watch. “The faculty meeting is about five minutes. The infirmary is far from this block.”

“I will bring her to infirmary,” Hera ‘offered’. Madam Tang approved of her before asking the students to clean up the gym. She walked away.

“Let’s go everyone. Leave her to clean this.” Hera ordered.

Soon, the gym left with two people – Baekhyun and Jung Hye. “Are you okay?” Baekhyun went to her and fished an ointment from his pocket.

The girl was sniffing. “You know I was suffering…yet you still didn’t help me. You’re so selfish. All of you.” Jung Hye rasped. Baekhyun gulped. It was true. They couldn’t aid but observe from afar.

Once, there was a student that told a teacher about the bullying. However, Hera completely made the matter worst – forcing to fire the teachers as her father own the school. The student was bullied and moved to another school.

“I’m sorry.”

Jung Hye tried to get up. She winced when she tried to take the ball as she’s about to bent her body.

“Let me help you too.” Baekhyun offered. “But, please use this ointment on you.”

Jung Hye placed the ball back in the trolley. Extending her hand, she took the ointment. “It will not help much. Yet, it will ease your pain, a little.” Baekhyun told.

Both of them were placing the balls back to the trolley. When Jung Hye was about to sweep the gym, Baekhyun volunteered to do that.

“We’re not in the same class.” Jung Hye voiced when they walked to the equipment room.

“So?”

“Why you don’t just leave me like everyone else? You’re capable of that, right?”

The boy kept mum before answering. “This is my way of helping you. Besides, it’s bad to do things with your condition.”

“We’re lucky PE is the last class. So, you will be safe. If you try to help me more than this, I am afraid Hera will target you too. It’s bad enough that I am the only scholarship student in 2-C.” Jung Hye confessed. Sadness was evidence in her voice. “I don’t have any friends. I thought going to this school will be the best choice. Unfortunately, it’s not.”

“It may be weird to say things like this right now…” Baekhyun muttered. “Let’s be friends.”

Jung Hye chuckled. “I just remembered…you’re a new student, right?”

“Yes.”

“Hmm…” the girl trailed off. “It’s weird.”

“Why?”

They turned to the right.

“As far as I know, this school don’t accept student in the middle of the year or at the end of the year. Special students too aren’t allowed to enroll in this time of the year.” Jung Hye said. “What your parents do?”

“My parents died five months ago .”

“Sorry,” Jung Hye bowed her head.

“It’s okay. I have a sister. She owned a small café.” Baekhyun pointed out. He didn’t want to make the girl felt depressed. She had through a lot.

“Then, how did you enroll here?” She raised her eyebrows, curious.

“Someone offered me to study here. He will cover the cost.” The boy answered. Jung Hye nodded. Look like Baekhyun didn’t want to say much about that, so she won’t pry anymore into that matter.

Jung Hye opened the door. Baekhyun pushed the trolley to the soccer shelf.

Both of them walked together along the hallway. “Thank you…” Jung Hye looked at Baekhyun. As if he’d know about it, he responded a slow ‘Baekhyun’. “I’m Jung Hye.”

“I know. You’re the talk in my class whenever we went to gym.”

The girl bit her lips.

“Well, see you next time, Jung Hye.” Baekhyun waved to Jung Hye before he went separate way.

 

 

The street was bustling with people as he got back. He thought having ramen for dinner but Min Ah must have prepared food. He decided it was for the best to keep the money for future use. Thus, Baekhyun concluded he will stroll along the street to look at the shops.

His decision was broken the moment he entered the bookstore. Buying some stationary and two exercise books, he was set to go home. Seeing the strawberry rice cakes promotion in front of him made him drooled. Baekhyun ended up lining for two packs of strawberry rice cakes.

Glancing to his watch, it was quarter to seven. Baekhyun settled for home. Going through the short cut shorten his journey. Smiling to himself, he rummaged the pack for the rice cake. Taking a bite of the rice cake he hummed to himself.

The sun was about to set. There were few shades of orange and red in the sky. He stared at the clouds as he walked.

“Darn.” Baekhyun heard someone cursed. Realizing that he bumped into the man, he immediately apologized and helped the man to get up.

A tall young man in black glared at him when he bowed for the man again.

“Hermes,” his voice called. “Zeus is waiting.” The young man then stepped forward.

“Just wait, Loki.” He replied. “Don’t even walk while spacing out again.” He told Baekhyun and followed the young man.

It took a few moments for Baekhyun to register something in his brain. He pinches his cheek to make sure he didn’t hear wrongly.

Baekhyun was sure he was in Korea. Not in Ancient Greek at least.

 

 

The next day, the whole student was surprised by Jung Hye. Apparently, Hera had made it a point to break her nerves. She had dumped Jung Hye’ s table at the incinerator - making the girl almost break her bones when she stepped onto the heiress hands more than five times hardly. The student council president decided that both need punishment because they were partially at fault.

It made Baekhyun worried for Jung Hye if Hera tried to get her revenge because of that incident. To Baekhyun’s relief, she didn’t do anything at all.

In any case, as might be expected from Huang Hera – three days after, she sabotaged Jung Hye’s locker and burn her books in the incinerator (From what Baekhyun heard from Jung Hye as she cried her heart out to him). The teachers didn’t believe in her due to lack of evidence. Baekhyun felt like ripping his hair because he almost lunged at Hera when he saw her.

Likewise, he didn’t want to get much attention. So, he refrained himself from doing that.

Then, came the week to practice for the sport festival - it was much worst because Hera took part in gym activity such as badminton and basketball. To baekhyun displease, every students must write down the sport for the festival they wanted to enter. Four days of practice and the last day of match. The last day was to choose players from each respected house to play for the festival.

Baekhyun made sure to watch Jung Hye in gym. Her bullying became bad when the girls made it a point to throw her ball in those practice and they left her alone to keep the balls. Jung Soo Jung was ill the third day of the practice week because she was afraid to compete with Hera. Baekhyun almost rolled his eyes because it’s not her that was suffering. Almost concluding, the girl was such a cry baby and chicken hearted – Baekhyun went to comfort Jung Hye after school.

 

Monday came along the day Baekhyun labeled as boring a week later. He had finish most of his homework and not doing anything could make him go crazy due to boredom. The sport festival was held for Monday and Tuesday. He was sure he applied for ping pong. However, he wasn’t the one to play in the court for the festival. Watching somebody playing made him sleepy.

Baekhyun ruffled his hair. Looking out of the window albeit to the cheers and know that the relay competition was happening. He yawned. Shifting his gaze for the blue sky, he dropped his head on the table.

“Hey,” a familiar voice said. Baekhyun turned his face to someone on his right. Jung Hye was grinning at him. “Are you sure lazing in class alone?”

“It’s the best. Besides, it’s nice to sleep in.” He pointed out. “I wonder…” he trailed off.

Jung Hye blinked at him.

“Don’t be angry with me. Today…that Hera doesn’t bother you?” He asked. In the same time, he looked into her eyes –searching for some emotion. He was anxious if he offended Jung Hye. She shook her head.

“I come to say goodbye.” The girl responded. Eyes didn’t leave Baekhyun. Baekhyun wasn’t sure how to react. They were close for weeks but they’re not in terms of best friends. Baekhyun mouthed a soft ‘oh’. Ignoring Baekhyun reaction, Jung Hye continued.

“It’s quite a pity because of the scholarship. I guess it’s for the better. I told my parents regarding to move to ordinary school. I was being bullied and all. Luckily, they agreed because they didn’t want me to be sad. I was quite happy too because in the last exam, before I leave this school, I maintain my marks in Biology.” She explained, grinning.

“I heard you’re the first when it comes to Biology.” He nods. “Wow. Also, you’re in top ten list of honor student, right?”

Jung Hye admitted it. Baekhyun just entered this school about one month. Thus, he didn’t take the mid-term exam.

They chat for awhile. When the clock shows 1.30 p.m, Jung Hye fished out the ointment Baekhyun gave her. Saying her gratitude and farewell, she left Baekhyun alone. Looking at the ointment on the table, Baekhyun felt his eyes became heavy. He closed his eyes.

“Bye, Jung Hye.” He mumbled. Silently wishing the girl has brilliant future ahead of her and won’t get into trouble.

 

 

Two months after Jung Hye left the school, the new target of the heiress bullying was Jung Soo Jung. Baekhyun didn’t expect for her to be pick on. However, he was quite amazed with Soo Jung because of her boldness.

Rumor had made it that Soo Jung posted a blog about Hera bullying Jung Hye two weeks ago. Also, she wrote about the school bad side more than the good. Baekhyun was smitten how that boneless girl could do that kind of thing. He got an answer from Soo Jung that someone sent her a letter to write those things. If she didn’t, her family would be killed. At first, Soo Jung thought it was a joke. Nevertheless, when she got back from the school, her cat was burn with a letter beside it.

She couldn’t take it. Thus, posting three blog posts about the school bad side had made it to Hera’s hearing. She took measure to probe who wrote those things.

Baekhyun felt bad seeing Soo Jung’s condition whenever she stepped into the class. Her cloth was wet. Sometimes, she had bruises on her forehead because somebody tripped her when she walked. After school, the heiress made sure Soo Jung won’t have any peace.

Thus, it lead Soo Jung to wait until everyone exit the class until 4.30 p.m to go home comfortably. Baekhyun knows it. Albeit to Soo Jung lateness, she talked to him several times because Baekhyun went home late. He usually did the home works for the day or some revision.

That’s how Baekhyun knew why the heiress chose her in the first place.

One day, it was odd enough for Soo Jung to come in one piece. She had smile plastered on her face. Everything went well for Soo Jung, to Baekhyun’s anxiety because he somehow knew that Hera won’t leave somebody just like that. He tried to calm himself nothing will come wrong.

After school, Soo Jung pulled her chair towards Baekhyun table. Facing him, she exhaled. “Can you accompany me ten minutes later?”

Baekhyun averted his gaze from the Chemical equation he was working on. No respond from Baekhyun made Soo Jung continued. “The director wants to meet me.”

He kept his mum.

“Baekhyun?”

“What did you do for the director to meet specially with you?” He asked, writing down the formula. Glancing to Soo Jung, the girl shrugged.

“The student council president told me this morning.”

One of his eyebrows rose. Since he enrolled in this school, he never saw the student council president. What he saw was the vice-president filling in the position of the president. So, he didn’t know how the president looks like.

Baekhyun bit his lips, thinking. A bit worried for Soo Jung to let her go alone, he agreed. The girl was leaping with joy as she repeated ‘thank you’ to the petite lad.

 

 

Packing his stuff in the backpack, he strolled along the hallway with Soo Jung. “The director’s office is in the third floor.” She faced him. Baekhyun didn’t say anything. Soo Jung continued her steps as Baekhyun didn’t have any problem with that. She appreciated his kindness when he didn’t complain anything.

“Erm, I’m sorry that I don’t know you well enough when you transferred here a month ago.” She started when they climbing the stairs.

“It’s fine.”

“Everyone in class doesn’t know how to interact with you. They observed you like you’re an aloof person because you’re always alone. Your personality is just so-so. You’re quiet and seemed like antisocial.” The girl looked at him, trying to see if he was upset with her words.

“I just love being me.” Baekhyun said - clearly not disturbed.

“I know,” she scratched her head, embarrassed. “One day, I saw you talking with Jung Hye. Easing her and I don’t know how to put it in words, but, even if you can’t help her physically. You aid her mentally. Encouraging her and being beside her, soothing her and supporting her through the days. I just wonder if have some courage within me…to do the same as you.”

“Soo Jung, everyone has their own potential. Like maybe, someone is bold enough to stand up for justice, while other just scooting away in fear, leaving themselves from the trouble. Don’t look that highly for me. I’m just a human. I’m in the second category.”

Soo Jung giggled. “Even if you’re in second, you help from the shadow. Like a spirit…”

Baekhyun laughed, listening to cheerful tone.

They stopped in front of the room located in the corner of the building. There were two vases put between the door into the room. On the door, there was a dark plate with gold carving, Director’s room.

Baekhyun eyed the lavender, it have a very nice smell.

“Can you wait outside?” She blinked. “The president said that he wanted to meet me alone.”

“Go on. It may be a private talk. I will be here waiting for you.” Baekhyun remarked. Soo Jung grimaced and knocked the door.

The door was opened by someone. From the corner of his eyes, Baekhyun saw blonde hair. He didn’t look that much because the door closed after that. He was left to stand by the wall.

The silence was appeasing him. It was thirty minutes to five when he felt uneasy. Even if it was a talk, it felt like it was too quiet. He heard a gunshot and his heart beating fast. Baekhyun gulped.

Calming himself he heard wrong, he walked slowly to the door and put his ear outside. He heard hushed voices. He couldn’t clearly make out what they were chatting about, he turned the door knob opened. Relieved that he did a good job concealing the noise, he saw five people surrounding someone. The director, he presumed.

His gaze fell on the floor and he felt his heart thumping. His eyes widened.

Soo Jung was in the ground, lying cold. Her eyes were white and her face starting to lose colour. There was blood oozing on the floor.

Baekhyun could smell the blood and it made him felt like puking. The metallic smell of blood could get into him in any moment.

He should call the police. A murder had been committed. He should.

It just a moment when he reminiscing Soo Jung talking to him how she was marveled by him. He wasn’t sure about it now. Trembling as he pulled his phone out, he heard them talk.

He wanted to barge in, but lunging in there alone senselessly would make him be killed too. Baekhyun was scared. These people could kill and wasn’t disturbed by the thought of a corpse in the room.

Putting on the recorder, he tried his best to keep his cool. He tried hard to relax his breathing. Not to be to ragged. Controlling his body as he stuck close to the door.

“…she didn’t agree.” He heard a cold voice said. Baekhyun sure it wasn’t the time to be shaking. His heart was racing and he felt himself panicking. It had been three seconds since he put the recorder on.

“She should be useful for us. When we need her for our organization and spilling out the truth about those scholarship students, huh, really she needed to think twice even before rejecting us.” Someone added.

“The result is, she’s dead.”

“It such a pity that Im Jung Hye moved out from this school before we can get her. I’m sure she will do the best in our lab.” A male voice said.

“I’m pretty sure it was her again.” A voice lacing with venom said, riling up. “It is her fault.”

Baekhyun could see the blonde head turned to somebody. Everyone looked at her.

“Athena, you messed up our plan.” The female stated.

Baekhyun couldn’t see fully since the room was dark. The only light he got was just from the evening sun.

“I just want some fun, Hades. Don’t get too indignant. You look really ugly.” A familiar sound rang in his ears. Baekhyun was sure that voice belonged to someone in the school. He didn’t doubt his hearing.

“It’s your fault that five people that are talented to scout exit this school. You are such a-“ before the male could finish his words, someone threw something to the door. Surprised by the action, Baekhyun let out a shriek.

Oh, god. He was busted. He needed to get out, fast.

“You idiots. Don’t you sense a rat around?” A female voice hissed. Before they could get to him, Baekhyun heart was racing. He was afraid.

Before the door could be opened, Baekhyun grabbed his bag and his phone. He wished he could get up and run just like that. However, his legs turned jelly as he felt some hope drained from his heart.

Run!

Move faster!

The voices echoed in his head.

The door creaked – indicating the knob was being opened.

Run! Move! For your life!

For your life!

Baekhyun felt his heart leaping. He ran – as fast as he could and skipped a few stairs to get away from the school building or even hide. He was frightened. He wanted to live. He needed to get this alibi to the police.

He needed a haven.

He heard footsteps chasing after him, Baekhyun knew he ran out of the time to get out. He needed a place to hide.

A safe place.

A very safe place! But where?

Anywhere that isn’t so oblivious! Oh god, he felt like crying. He knew they were getting closer as time passes.

Baekhyun stepped hurriedly to the equipment store room when he noticed he was near the gym area. Closing the door and sticking his body to the wall. Looking around the darkness as he tried remembering the placing for the equipments – he made a choice to jump into the basketballs trolley.

Before doing it, he placed his bag behind the soccer ball shelves, he muted his phone to make sure he didn’t make any noises. He was lucky the trolley was covered with navy blue clothing. Trying hard not to cry and make muffled sounds, trying to control his breathing as much as possible due to his fear.

Baekhyun stayed still like a doll. Unmoving when he heard voices talking.

“I am sure, this room.” A male voice said.

“Don’t be joking Hades, I saw his silhouette running towards the swimming pool.”

“Don’t try to taste my patience Athena. My eyes aren’t blind yet. I saw him, here.” The man called Hades said, unwavering.

“Sure, let’s check then.” The one called Athena said - turning the door knob opened. Listening to their footsteps, Baekhyun prayed silently for them to go away. “Find anything?” Athena asked.

“Dionysus should upgrade this school. How come that this room doesn’t has any lighting?” Hades scowled.

Athena snorted. Her feet totally halted at Baekhyun. “I’m going out!” Hades told Athena. Hearing Hades footsteps faded, Baekhyun felt very lucky. He sensed the man was dangerous.

He was about to get out, completely forgetting Athena still in the room.

“Don’t get out.” She ordered, firmly. “If you want to live, don’t get out yet. When night fall, please leave the school immediately.”

Baekhyun was shaking, he knew that voice. Yes, the voice he loathed.

“Your breathing just worsening as time passes. Praise your luck I’m talking louder as I could to Hades. Don’t let anybody caught you. You’re innocent, Byun Baekhyun.”

The door was closed.

Baekhyun’s breathing becoming louder.

How come she knows his name? How come? He was sure his face wasn’t showed. How come she knows him?

How come the heiress is Athena?

Who is she?

Why was Soo Jung killed?

What is that organization?

How is it related to scholarship students?

Baekhyun felt his consciousness was slipping. He was exhausted. Too many questions in his mind, yet it couldn’t even be answered by him.