IX. The Night Of Honesty

Deadly Elegance

It was 7pm and night had fallen fast upon the city. No more than an hour ago the sky was painted with hues of red, orange and pink, but all colour had faded leaving only a matt black canvas with no stars to be looked upon. The darkness was thick and the cars lights lit her path allowing the drive to go smoothly. As the car engine sung to the desolate city roads, Moonbyul relished the roaring winds that twirled in her long silver hair and whistled in her ears. She began explaining her story to Solar as they drove, each revelation shaking the girl more and more. With ankles crossed and knees leaning against the center console, she watches Solar slide in her seat. She was finally thinking it's sunk in for her. Moonbyul wants to touch her and run fingers through her hair. 

".......And after that last job with my friend Hwasa, I was done."~Moonbyul finished as Solar continued sitting there stunned that her girlfriend was a well renowned gun for hire. Rubbing her hands together on the wheel, Moonbyul places one onto Solar. Observing her movements, a sigh escapes her lips. She adores the subtle tilt of her head when Solar turns towards her. Every movement seems as though she’s planned it out ahead of time. Feeling a chill, she rubs her arms.

"So how does it feel....."~Solar said in a submissive tone. 

"How does what feel?"~Moonbyul asked confusingly

"To..... Kill.....  Someone"~Solar stuttered out. Moonbyul stares and sees her make a face straighter than a poker player. For a fraction of a second the corners of Moonbyul's mouth twitch upwards, until her conscious mind asserts control again. She had never thought about it before, the killing part was her least favorite; it was a necessary chore rather than a pleasure. She would always pick an abduction over an assassination any day. Mostly they didn't even raise a hand to guard themselves when she killed people. Never once has anyone died with her enjoying any second of it, after all, she had no intention of being a savage. She sighed a sad sigh. She preferred not to assassinate people, she preferred to be a diplomat but of course times called for it. She pulled over at a gas station to talk to Solar.

"Being an assassin has its perks. Moving from Seoul to a new city every week, hotel life with no dishes or chores, new clothes every day - the old ones discarded at thrift store doors. Killing itself isnt that hard,  to an assassin it is just like another day in the office. Except my office is usually a dark alley where I kill people. My tools, rather than a computer, it's a gun. I always try to maintain a solid detachment to my targets. Mostly, I preferred not to think of them, but when I do think of them, it's as if they were already dead - walking meat bags waiting to be despatched to the butcher. I always think of them as meeting their destiny and I'm merely the conduit. Everyone has to die sometime, the way I do it, no illness, no drawn-out goodbyes. They were just happy and oblivious one second and gone the next. Simple. Convenient. Painless."~Moonbyul finished as Solar stared at her in awe. 

"Wait I just realized, you worked out of Seoul, why did you come to Busan?"~Solar asked as Moonbyul visibly gulped attempting to look away. She knew this would come eventually but she didn't think it would come this soon. She took in a deep breath and looked into Solar's eyes. 

"I was sent here........... I was sent here........."~Moonbyul tried getting out but felt a frog in . She didn't want to tell her, she didn't know how Solar would react, would she hate her? Would she trust her ever again? 

"Moon, what were you sent here to do?"~Solar kept pushing Moonbyul to speak. 

"I was sent to Busan.......... to kill you"~Moonbyul spoke to Solar's utter shock.

"What why?! I never tangled with any criminal things!"~Solar said as she slightly backed away in her chair. 

"You..... were.... a witness... to something about a year ago in Seoul"~Moonbyul said as she stared at the floor of the car. 

"But I was only in Seoul when.........."~Solar said as it finally clicked for her. She stared at Moonbyul, who was still trying to avoid her gaze. 

"Moon......... what did you have to do with it?"~Solar said with impotent rage filling her gaze. Moonbyul so desperately didn't want to say anything but knew she would have to come clean. 

"I was...................... the one........ who shot Amber"~Moonbyul said as Solar face went drained of emotions. Moonbyul finally looks back at Solar. Usually expecting her greeting smile, but none comes. Instead retains an uncharacteristic grim line amid her delecate features. There is a sadness in her eyes, the brown too glossy. Almost like lightning her hand reaches for the door as she gets out of the car. 

"Solar Wait!"~Moonbyul said following her. She only walked towards the edge of the gas station building before Moonbyul reached her and placed a hand on her shoulder. 

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"~Solar screamed slapping away Moonbyul's hand

"Look ok...... I'm so sorry"~Moonbyul pleaded to Solar.

"Sorry! Good thing you're sorry for killing my sister!"~Solar screamed back at Moonbyul making her flinch. When Solar turned at last to face her, there was a few trace of tears, in her eyes and in track marks on her reddening face. Her eyes were narrowed, rigid, cold, hard. In that moment Moonbyul knew she was already far away. Once more she felt alone. The swing from most loved to most hated hurt more than anything she had ever experienced. Solar's states had no greyscale, only the polar extremes existed. Moonbyul drew in a deep breath, the burning hard stare would last only as long as it took her to think of the most brutally cutting thing Solar could tear her down with.

"I never meant for any of this to happen...... "Moonbyul muttered still fearful of Solar 

"Why didn't you just kill me to!"~Solar shouted to Moonbyul's dismay

"Please understand Yongsun, it was an accident"~Moonbyul said moving closer to Solar.

"How could you...... she was only a little girl!"~Solar yelled through her tear ridden face. 

"Don't you think I know that!"~Moonbyul retorted shocking Solar a bit. Solar finally got a good look at Moonbyul, crying. She had never seen her show any semblance of emotion like this, this was true, this was eating her up. Moonbyul had always been so self-conscious when she cried but now she just gave way to the enormity of her grief. She sobbed into her hands and the tears dripped between her fingers, raining down onto the parched concrete. Her breathing was ragged, gasping and the strength left her legs. She sank to her knees not caring about the the grit that dug into her knees. Emotions swirled like ice water circling a cold metal drain as if streaks of fire burned her cheeks. Each new wave a hot trail of agony as slim, bare shakes in each rake of emotion through her frame. Fire of shame and anger burned just under her skin and a deep emptiness filled her heart as the sentiments brewed over and boiled past the seams she could no longer hold together.

"I live with these demons every night I close my eyes. I never can forgive myself for what I've done. I know you could never forgive me. I told you I love you and that makes me unlovable. I said that I care and that makes me the target of your hatred. I've tried to atone for my crime, poured affection into your life and now you attack me. You leave me with insides contracting, cold. You leave me with a heart that explodes in my chest, clammy skin and lack of breathe. I still want to be with you if you would extend your hand, but I know that you won't. I may kill people for a living, but I'm no monster"~Moonbyul spoke through her tear ridden face. She finally was filled with enough courage to look at Solar. She and Solar seemed to have a silent conversation as they stared into each others eyes. Solar finally moves in closer, tears threatening to blurr her vision, when her hand encircles Moonbyul's. It was soft and warm, reassuring almost, as if Solar actually sensed her desperation. She sprang forth embracing Moonbyul in an embrace. Solar  her long silver hair and pulled her into her chest. The warmth of being with another human being and being happy made her want forgiveness even more. The realisation that they were not alone, they have been through this together since day one and that they were in love together. But the hug was an exchange of pure joy between the botg of them. Solar's arms were like shields of love, a hug so warm yet so simular to a motherly embrace. In that moment her arms squeezed a fraction tighter and Moonbyul breathed more slowly, her body melting into Solar's as every muscle lost its tension to the late night air. This was love, real love.

"I'm sorry, I never knew you felt this way."~Solar said tears streaming down her face, continuing the hug. 

"No you......... deserved to finally know"~Moonbyul said when they finally parted, all she felt is absence as a cold wind, wishing she could keep Solar wrapped around her like a well worn sweater for always.

"I love you Byulie"~Solar said wiping away her tears. 

"I love you too"~Moonbyul said standing up, brushing away the dirt from her pants. 

"So, now, what do we do?"~Solar said composing herself. 

"We're going to see my friend, LE"~Moonbyul