III. Whispers of The Past

Deadly Elegance

Moonbyul still remembers when this all started for her. Fourteen years ago she was only a 10 year old girl. Her mother had just abandoned her leaving her by herself with only enough money to get a meal. For the first time in her life, she found herself alone. A huddled heap of a tiny little korean girl, she sat alone and utterly terrified in the darkness. The dark consumed her frail form. Her mother wasn't there to soothe her fears, nor was her father to tell her stories. It was just her, alone in a strange place with strange people. She felt lost in her mother's lies. The only thing that was there after searching for so long was betrayal. It slowly seeped in how much of a fool she had been, living in her own dream world. 

Believing her family to be okay after everything she had seen. She floated away from the fake promises and reality until she was found. A man in a black car pulled up to her.

"Hey kid where's your parents?"~The man said taking off his sunglasses. 

"They.....gone......"~Little Moonbyul said with a trembling voice. 

"C'mon kid, I got you"~The man said as he opened his car door. Another little girl sat in his passenger seat and stared confusingly at Moonbyul.

"Who's she daddy?"~The little girl asked. 

"Oh she's gonna be your new sister."~The man said as they drove off. Little did Moonbyul know she had been helped by Raymond Jung, the kingpin of the Korean Mafia syndicate. He saw Moonbyul as "new blood" to train so he took a chance. And oh boy did that chance pay off. She remembers the training she went through with. She always woke up at 10 am to practice "drills". She would be basically beaten till she couldn't feel pain anymore. She was taught to shoot a gun at the age of 13. She was an ordinary little girl but she was no regular girl. Then there was Jessica Jung, the eldest of Raymond's biological daughters. She always took after what her father did, even though she never got her hands dirty. He always put her on a high pedestal cause her mother, Abby Buna, was killed in a hit from another rival gang. They were almost a normal family before her mother died. A mum, a dad and two beautiful little girls, what more could life ask for. Jessica was his favorite blood related daughter, but that made Moonbyul his favorite other daughter. She always thought to herself being different made her a target. So she always impressed Raymond with her skills as an enforcer for the mafia. Moonbyul, at the age of 17 became the korean mafia's youngest female enforcer. That was also when life came careening out of control. Raymond Jung died at the age of 56 due to a heart condition. That left 20 year old Jessica Jung to run the entire Korean mafia. And run it she did, she was cold, calculated, and ruthless in the way she commanded. She and Moonbyul were always good to each other. They viewed each other as real sisters, a true family. That be, a really messed up family. 

"You sure about this Moony?"~Hwasa said bringing Moonbyul back from her reminiscing, they were in the limousine again going back to drop off Yoona.

"Yeah I'm sure, I don't wanna do this anymore."~Moonbyul said as she was rolling through her fingers. 

"Well OK then, there's no talking you out of it once you're serious."~Hwasa said as she picked up her phone to make a call. 

"Hey Hani, we got her, make the transfer"~Hwasa said as she switched over to the banking app on her phone, and Moonbyul did the same. Both girls watched as 35 million won was transferred to both their accounts. 

"Woah Hani, am I reading that right"~Hwasa asked shocked by the amount. 

"Yes you both are, Jessica really didn't want Yoona leaving, well bring her to Jessica when you get here"~Hani said as the phone hung up. The limo stopped as the girls exited hauling Yoona after them, as they entered the 'Elegance'. The building was massive, spiraling around it were sharply cut mirrors, to say it was excessive was an understatement. Elegance was the number one fashion company in Korea, but it was all a front for their secret "activities". Moonbyul held onto Yoona as they entered the elevator. While the lift made its way up she tried breaking free of Moonbyul's grasp as she was slapped by Hwasa. 

"Don't even try, you little rat"~Hwasa said as she held onto Yoona's face. The elevator door opened and the hallway was decorated with many fine pieces of art. Jessica knew how to decorate and she showed her prowess well. As the girls walked through they heard Jessica's voice echo through the hallway. 

"Really!? What part of bring him back ALIVE do you not understand Krystal?"~Jessica's voice boomed as they opened the door. And in the room sat Jessica and standing in front of her desk, her sister Krystal. 

"Well I got the info from him?"~Krystal said flashing a USB drive and placing it upon the wooden desk. 

"Yes and its encrypted, I can't do anything with it, and the only guy that could open it is burnt to a crisp"~Jessica said slowly facepalming and kicking her high heeled feet upon the desk.  Krystal's ways of completing tasks were always a little unorthodox to say. She was in simple terms wreckless. She was only supposed to simply bag and tag her most recent target. But Krystal being Krystal couldn't leave well alone. She made him give her the USB drive before burning him alive in his car. Jessica looked up, she was a woman that could have graced any billboard or magazine cover, but she was better than those two dimensional photoshopped models. Somehow her perfections made her a goddess among people. There was a boldness to her, no hesitation in her body movements and a sterness in her voice. Her hair was a beautiful brunette slicked back to give her a business woman look. Her coffee suit had a tailored look that was bold against her light skin. She was right there, only feets away, but in her understated glamour she might as well be on the television or a girl in a music video. Before she could scold Krystal anymore she sees Moonbyul and Hwasa walk in with Yoona. 

"Well you see Krystal, this is how you do the job, now go get your next order from Hani"~Jessica said motioning for Krystal to leave. As she left looking irritated Hwasa plopped Yoona down onto a chair as Moonbyul tied her to it. To say Yoona was scared was an understatement. She knew what happened to rats. She jerked upright, panicked, but her wrists refused to move. Something sharp and cold dug into her skin. She looked down and saw Jessica glazed a karambit knife upon her chest meeting bare skin. She bit her tongue, feeling an odd coldness on her it. 

"So you think you can turn on me? Now I'm gonna ask you one question and you better answer, understand?"~Jessica said as she rolled the knife between her fingers. Yoona nodded slowly. 

“Now who was your contact?”~Jessica said crankily seating herself into the chair opposite to her. Yoona stayed silent. 

"TELL ME.” She repeated sternly. Yoona felt coldness envelope her, but no darkness came. 

"I'm sorry, I can't"~Yoona said looking down beginning to cry. 

"Oh really......."~Jessica said looking irritated as she stood up and slowly walked over to Yoona. Jessica placed her hands on her shoulders and slowly massaged them. 

"Oooh you're so tense"~Jessica said as she slapped Yoona on the back. 

"Please Jessica,  I can't.......AAAAAAH!"~Yoona tried saying as Jessica drove the knife right into her knee. Yoona winced in pain as her eyes began to water and her face slowly turned red. Jessica looked closely at Yoona's face as she began driving the knife farther in. 

"!"~Yoona screamed through her crying state. Jessica finally met resistance as the metal of the knife was finally driven all the way in. She gripped the base of the knife and slowly jerked it forward cutting right through cartlidge, driving Yoona's kneecap out of place as it made a disgusting guttural gushing sound. Yoona screamed again as she began pleading to Jessica.

"Please......please......Jessica I can't tell you"~Yoona said through her tear ridden face. 

"Fine then, Hwasa, take her to the design room, and get her to speak, pop her other kneecap off if you have to."~Jessica said to Hwasa nodding, as she went back to her desk to clean her knife.

"No Jessica please I swear I won't ever squeal again!"~Yoona tried saying as Hwasa rolled her out on the chair. Then Jessica and Moonbyul were alone. Sisters once again for a short time.

"Great job as always Moon"~Jessica said pouring herself a cup of scotch. 

"Well Jess-Jess, there's something I need to tell you"~Moonbyul said as she put her hands behind her back. 

"Go girl, shoot"~Jessica said as she inhaled the shot of alcohol

"Well I'm done with this, cash me out"~Moonbyul said putting her hands into her pockets

"What you're joking right?"~Jessica said as she poured herself another glass. 

"No I want out, take me off the A-List"~Moonbyul said more seriously 

"Moon, I can't lose you, your the best enforcer I got"~Jessica said as she put away the bottle of scotch. 

"You don't need me you got others"~Moonbyul walking closer to her

"Oh really like who?"~Jessica said crossing her arms. 

"You got Hwasa, Sunny, Ailee, Hyorin, Krystal?"~Moonbyul said listing off all of the friends.

"I wouldn't trust Krystal to change a lightbulb, she's only here cause I feel an obligation to mom"~Jessica said chugging her second drink

"They can get the job done"~Moonbyul said trying to ensure Jessica

"But not like you, 98 confirmed kills, 34 completed captures"~Jessica said playfully pointing at Moonbyul

"Look Jess, I can't do this anymore"~Moonbyul said as she slowly shook her head

"Moon if this is about the little girl it isn't your fault, it was a freak accident"~Jessica said placing her hand on Moonbyul's shoulder. 

"I'm sorry Jessi-Cat"~Moonbyul said to Jessica's displeasure as she sighed. 

"Fine, I'll take you off the list but you gotta do one last hit for me, do it for me as a sister"~Jessica said as she opened her desk, and was looking for a something

"Ok then, whats the job"~Moonbyul said as Jessica pulled out a file and threw it on the table. She opened it and audibly gasped as she read the name of the target. 

"Her name is Kim Yongsun, she knows too much, I want her gone"~Jessica said as she sat back down in her chair.