Chapter 2

Unspoken

Chapter II

 
 
Donghae took out his phone and punched those familiar numbers into his phone. As usual, after three rings, the person on the other end picked up the phone and answered it with the sweet voice that he loved most. ‘Hey baby, are you okay? I’ve been waiting for your call and—’ She bombed him with questions, worried about Donghae before he cut her off, ‘Hey hey, baby. Calm down, I’m okay… It’s just… my grandpa has collapsed and some things happened. I need someone now.’ He said. It was obvious that he is really depressed just by hearing his voice.
 
Jungha, Donghae’s girlfriend, has gotten his message of wanting to meet her. So she asked him softly, ‘Where are you now?’ to which Donghae replied, ‘I’m just downstairs your house.’ Jungha then invited him up to her house before hanging up.
 
The moment she opened her door to invite Donghae in, she was faced with the Donghae that was looking so weak and sad that she couldn’t help but to hug him tightly in her arms. She was heartbroken because she knew how much Donghae loved his grandfather through his stories and knows that he must’ve been greatly affected.
 
‘Thank you baby. I’m so glad you’re here.’ Donghae muttered as he held onto Jungha, as if she was his lifebuoy that was saving him. Jungha rubbed his back, ‘Let’s just head in here before you tell me what happened alright?’
 
They then settled down on the couch with Jungha facing him while Donghae looking down at his feet as if it was the most interesting thing on Earth. ‘So… what happened to your grandfather?’ She asked cautiously, not wanting to trigger his emotions. Donghae sighed before answering, ‘Well… he collapsed and the doctor said that his condition has gotten worsened, and that… he only has 6 more months to live…’ His voice cracked as he finished his sentence.
 
Jungha’s eyes widened for a moment before she engulfed him in an embrace yet again. The last time Donghae told her, she knew that his grandfather was still very much healthy. It was so unexpected of this to happen.
 
‘Oh my god… Baby, I’m so sorry to hear this… I wish I could do something but I couldn’t do anything…’ She said, feeling apologetic that the most she could do is to be by his side to comfort him. Donghae suddenly pulled away and looked at her intently. ‘Actually… you can do something… Grandpa has one last wish that only you and I could help him fulfill it.’ He told her seriously.
 
Jungha felt that she wouldn’t like what Donghae was about to tell her so she said hesitantly, ‘…What is it?’ She saw Donghae fumbled with his pocket before getting out a velvet box. Jungha is a smart girl. She didn’t need Donghae to saw anything more to know that he was about to propose to her and marriage is the answer to his grandfather’s last wish. ‘No. Just no, Donghae, you know I wouldn’t accept this.’ She flatly rejected him even before he could say anything.
 
One could obviously see the hurt in Donghae’s eyes. He hadn’t even open up the velvet box to show her the ring he chose for her and what’s more, he hasn’t even said anything that he has planned to say. Jungha held onto Donghae’s shoulder and looked at him with her eyebrows furrowed, ‘I’m so sorry baby. It’s not that I don’t want to marry you. You know I do. But this just isn’t the best time for it. You know about my dream… I’ve been pursuing it since I was 5 and you can’t possibly ask me to give it up. It’s impossible. What’s more, we’re only 19 this year. Yeah, of course I do love you, but we’ve only gotten together for like, what? 1 year plus. I don’t want this to be something we will regret in the future. Marriage isn’t a child’s play, baby…’
 
Donghae just shrugged her hands away from his shoulder; it was obvious that she didn’t want to be married to him. He knew that even before he wanted to propose to him because he knew how firm and determined she was to accomplish her dream. But he still hoped. He hoped that maybe she would change her mind and get married to him while pursuing her dreams. But reality doesn’t seem to match with what he has hoped for.
 
‘Jungha, it’s not that I’m not thinking for you. But I have to get married. It’s already set. If the woman isn’t you, it’s going to be some other women that I don’t even know. My father has even chosen my wife-to-be already. Do you really not want to get married to me so badly?’ He asked again, looking sadly at her, hoping her answer will be different.
 
Jungha sighed and swallowed an imaginary gulp in , ‘I… can’t do it. I’m sorry baby.’ Donghae then bit his lower lips, looking away from her before he started, ‘Well… I guess this is the end of us… For the past 1 year, thank you for loving me. I really loved the time we spent together. I’m sorry that we have to end it this way… I love you Jungha.’ Donghae went nearer to her and pulled her into a hug as he kissed the top of her head. They both closed their eyes, squeezing it shut as if to savour this moment, letting time stop here.
 
Finally Jungha pushed him away, tears accumulating in her eyes, ‘Just go already, and don’t make this anymore harder than it already is.’ She turned around and went straight to her room as she cried, leaving Donghae standing in the living room alone. Breaking up with Jungha was a tough decision that Donghae have to make and he was heartbroken about it. But the problem is Jungha was even more heartbroken than how Donghae was feeling because it was after all her decision to break up; otherwise they’ll be engaged by now.
 
Donghae then left her house, feeling down, he didn’t go back home straight away but drove around the city. He wished that his troubles could just disappear. He didn’t know why all the bad things are hitting him all at once. What’s with his beloved grandfather collapsing, leaving only 6 months to live and then now, he have to break up with the woman he love so dearly to marry some stranger that he doesn’t even love.