Chapter 5

Unspoken

 

Chapter V

 
'You! Why are you here?!' Chaelyn panicked at the sight of Donghae and pointed her finger at him. Donghae, on the other hand, was as calm as ever and sat right there, smirking at her before waving his hand a little, 'Hi Chaelyn.' He said with his ever so charming voice which made her almost got taken away by the facade that Donghae was putting up in front of their parents. 
 
The reason why Donghae wasn't shocked at Chaelyn's appearance was because he asked his father about Uncle Park's daughter and what she's like. Thus, his father gave him a picture of Chaelyn, making Donghae realized that it was the girl who confessed to him during their first year of school. Holding onto the photo of Chaelyn, he smirked, feeling that maybe this marriage wouldn't be that mundane anymore. 
 
Chaelyn then calmed herself down, mentally reminding herself to breathe before putting on a fake smile, 'Hi Donghae.' She said while clenching her teeth together. 'Two can play the game, Lee Donghae.' Chaelyn thought to herself as she walked steadily over and sat on the only empty seat between Donghae and her father. The three adults laughed heartily at the exchange, thinking that it's a good start for the two youngsters before Chaelyn's father commented, 'I didn't know you two knew each other already. That's good to know though.' 
 
Donghae then looked over at Chaelyn who was just looking at the table, expressionless and said teasingly, ‘Well, we don’t just know each other. In fact, we’re quite close… Aren’t we, Chaelyn?’ Chaelyn held up her head upon hearing her name being called and saw that infuriating smirk, yet again, she mentally rolled her eyes and looked at him with an innocent look, ‘Really? Because I thought my close friends only consists of Jungsoo, Heechul, Siwon and Minri.’ Donghae flushed red in embarrassment and clenched his jaws while Chaelyn returned him a smirk. The three adults, who sensed the awkward atmosphere, quickly changed the topic before it turns sour.
 
‘Chaelyn, it’s been a while since I’ve saw you. How have you been doing lately?’ Mr. Lee asked, smiling.
 
‘Yes, it’s been awhile, Uncle Lee. I’ve been the same though but I’ve been happy.’ She replied politely, returning the smile. He chuckled a bit before continuing, ‘So… Have you got any boyfriend already? I would be surprise if you tell me you don’t!’ After hearing this comment, Chaelyn somehow has got a hutch on what’s this dinner actually about. She tucked her hair behind her ear, something she always do whenever she feels nervous, before she started, ‘Indeed, I’m still single. But I’m really happy with this current relationship status of mine and I don’t really need a boyfriend. Relationships are such a burden sometimes, so why make myself suffer when I could actually enjoy myself, right? What’s more, I’m still young.’
 
Mr. Park was actually shocked by Chaelyn’s reply because he knows how much she envied people in a relationship because they always seem to be so in love with each other, and what’s more, Chaelyn is a hopeless romantic. He let out a chuckle nervously, ‘She’s just joking—’ He said before he was being cut off. ‘Daddy, do you have something you want to tell me? I’m not stupid and I know this dinner isn’t just some casual dinner between us all, right? It’s probably something that’s going to happen between me and Donghae and I’m the only one who doesn’t know about a single thing.’ She asked cautiously, not wanting to offend Mr. and Mrs. Lee.
 
Everyone looked over at Chaelyn in shock, wondering how did she figure it out by herself when it has been kept as a secret from her. ‘She's smart...’ Donghae thought to himself. Seeing that the three men are too shocked to respond, Mrs. Lee cleared nervously before explaining, ‘Well, my dear Chaelyn, before I say anything, I just want you to know that we didn't have much of a choice and we're not forcing you into anything. But... it's just that Donghae's grandfather collapsed the other day and the doctor told us that... he only has six more months to live.’ Her voice cracked and her eyes became watery. She took a deep breath before continuing, ‘And his last wish is to see Donghae get married.’

Chaelyn frowned, understanding what was the situation about completely now. ‘So because of that reason, I'm supposed to get married with him?’ She asked, feeling incredulous about it. ‘Chaelyn, the Lee family once helped us through our difficult times, and it's been an unwritten promise that we'll help them out if they ever met with any difficulties.' Chaelyn's father continued to explain with his eyebrows furrowed together, while Chaelyn just looked at them, frowning. She couldn't really comprehend the situation and found it really ridiculous that her father is just going to sacrifice her because of some stupid unwritten promise between the two families. She loved Mr. and Mrs. Lee but having her happiness and marriage being arranged by both the parents is too much for her to handle. 

Everything just came to her so suddenly. She kept silent and tried really hard to process all the information before she felt a nudge on her side. She looked to her side and saw Donghae nodded towards their parents as if urging her to say something. She brushed her fringe to the back before shaking her head. 'I don't know what to say now. All I know is that everything you guys planned out are so unfair to me.’ She then looked apologetically over to Donghae’s parents before she started, ‘I understand how you all feel. But I’m sorry. I just can’t accept this. Even though I’m still young but I know marriage is an important matter to everybody and I certainly don’t want mine to be planned out and arranged this way. I really like to help out but this is just… too much.’
 
She huffed out a breath and turned over to her father, ‘Daddy, I… I have to go now. Siwon invited me to his party over at his place and I think I should leave now.’ She informed him. ‘I’m sorry to cut short this dinner and it has been, well, a pleasure to see Mr. and Mrs. Lee after so long again. I have to go now.’ She excused herself, standing up to leave her seat and walked over to the door. She stopped at her tracks and turn back, giving her father a weak smile and said, ‘I’ll probably be staying over Siwon’s place tonight if you need me.’
 
She left after saying, leaving the awkward atmosphere in the restaurant behind with a certain guy looking at the seat, which she sat a few minutes ago, being deep in thoughts. 
I'm back with a new update! ^_^ 
Frankly speaking, I'm kind of disappointed at the lack of comments and I'm wondering if anyone even reads this fic anymore ;~~; 
If you're reading, please do comment! Please don't be a silent reader ><;;;
Would greatly appreciate all comments kkkk~