Chapter 6

Unspoken

 

Chapter VI
 
After Chaelyn left, all that was left in the room was awkwardness between the two families. Donghae, who isn’t a fan of awkwardness, suddenly remembered that he was also being invited to Siwon’s party as well, so he decided to take it as excuse to leave. ‘Dad, I’m invited to the party that Chaelyn is going too, so I’ll just chase after Chaelyn to fetch her there.’ All three adults’ faces lightened up with a smile upon hearing what Donghae’s going to do, hoping that this might be an opportunity for Chaelyn to change her mind and for the two of them to get to know each other better. His father then nodded in agreement before asking him to take good care of Chaelyn. He immediately left and jogged out of the restaurant and thankfully, Chaelyn was still outside of the restaurant, waiting for a cab.
 
He smiled a little before deciding to a little, thus he walked towards her then held her hand, catching her off-guarded. She spun around almost immediately and had her eyes widen upon seeing the person who held her hand. Looking at the smirking Donghae and their hands, she quickly swiped his hand away before scowling, ‘What the hell do you want from me?’ Donghae held both his hands up as if surrendering, giving her a mocking smile, ‘Wow, feisty. I just came over to offer you a ride to Siwon’s place since I’m invited to the party as well. So…?’
 
Chaelyn narrowed her eyes and pondered for a while. Although she was hesitant to be anywhere near Donghae, but she knows that it wasn’t easy to catch a cab at this timing. In the end, she agreed to it.
 
The car ride was a quiet one with Chaelyn looking out of the window while Donghae glancing at her every few minutes or whenever the car stops at a traffic light. Of course, Chaelyn knows about those occasional glances from Donghae and at first she ignored it. Finally after a while, it has gotten on her nerves so she spoke up, breaking the silence. ‘Why are you looking at me every few minutes? Do you have something to ask me or is there something on my face?' She asked coldly, looking over at him for the first time. Donghae was taken aback by her question because he thought he didn't make it obvious that he was glancing at her but he chuckled at her question. 
 
'There's nothing on your face and I have nothing I want to ask you. I just realized you changed a lot as compared to the past. I almost couldn't recognize you when Dad showed me a photo of you. You've certainly become prettier.' He admitted sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck. Chaelyn blushed at his unexpected reply, feeling thankful that she had her long hair to hide her blush. 'Whatever.' She simply replied back and continued looking out of the window, acting nonchalant about it when her heart is actually palpitating at his reply earlier on.
 
Donghae was actually half expecting that she would be bawling her eyes out like how the other girls would've reacted after such things happened when he chased after her just now but instead, she was just looking a little down while waiting for a cab. After a moment of silence, Donghae spoke up again, ‘You want to talk?’ He asked cautiously, making Chaelyn looked over at him curiously. ‘Talk about what?’ She threw the question back at him.
 
‘I don’t know…? Is there anything that you want to talk about? Whatever it is, I’m your fiancé now so perhaps you want to share your problems or tell your husband-to-be more about yourself?’ He said, smirking. There's probably nobody who has a single idea on how much Chaelyn just wants to wipe that smirk off his face because for some reasons, every time Chaelyn sees that smirk of Donghae, it just reminds her of her confession to him and how he had rejected her. It hurts her even more that he actually rejected her really politely, as if he was apologetic towards the rejection. On top of that, it was the first time Chaelyn ever confessed to anyone and the first time she got rejected by anyone. 
 
'What makes you so sure that I'll agree to be your wife? Seriously, Lee Donghae, go mess with someone else's life. I don't even understand why did you even agreed to this arranged marriage for.' Chaelyn scoffed and folded her arms, looking straight. Donghae sighed, making Chaelyn raised an eyebrow, wondering what he's up to this time so she turned her head and saw Donghae's eyes became watery as he looked intently at her. Chaelyn widened her eyes a little, surprised by his action. 'W-what?' She stuttered, not knowing what to do when a guy is about to burst into tears and what's more, he is the guy that she dislikes. 
 
'Help me, please.' Donghae pleaded in a weak voice. Seeing Donghae acting like this, Chaelyn couldn’t help but to furrow her eyebrows and gave him an empathetic look. It seemed to Chaelyn that Donghae must’ve been really close to this grandfather of his and she could totally understand the feeling of having to lose someone you love and yet couldn’t do anything for them. She almost just gave in and agreed to the marriage when he saw the look on his face. It’s like she just wanted to hug him and tell him that everything’s going to be alright but it’ll be very awkward if she really did that.
 
Donghae wiped the moisture on his eyes and sniffed a bit. He looked up to meet Chaelyn’s eyes before speaking again, ‘My grandpa really wishes to see me get married. And I know he’ll be happy if you’re the person I’m getting married with. So, even if you don’t agree to this marriage, I’ll try my best and do whatever it takes to make you say yes, even if it meant having my happiness being taken away.’ Chaelyn sighed and mentally cursed herself for being so softhearted a few minutes ago, she shook her head, ‘Donghae… you’re really selfish. What about my happiness?’
 
She turned to look at Donghae with knotted eyebrows. ‘It’s every girls’ dream to get married with someone who loves her the way she does and from there, they both will have their own happily ever after just like how fairytales always portrays how love between two person are. It is also my dream to do that with someone I love too. But by doing this, what’s taken away wouldn’t be only your happiness. My happiness will be taken away too.’
 
Donghae suddenly stopped driving and looked at her with a determined look before placing his hand on top of Chaelyn’s, ‘Then marry me. I’ll do my best to give you the happiness that you want.’ 
 
As promised, an update! ^_^ 
I've been kind of busy recently so I'm sorry if the updates come slower >_<;;
I would really appreciate if you leave a comment~ Thank you =3=