Chapter 1

Unspoken

Chapter I

 
 
After that one solemn phone call he received from his father, he ditched his girlfriend who was actually with him at that point of time and rushed to the hospital immediately. 'Why are you so late?' His mother chided him as she sobbed. 'Where is he?!' Donghae ignored her question and threw one back to her impatiently. His mother was still sobbing with one hand holding a tissue near her face while the other just pointed to the room on the right. 
 
Donghae looked over where his mother pointed at and dragged his feet towards the room. Each step he took, he became more and more frightened and tears started welling up in his eyes. The fear was eating him up. He didn't want the things he feared most to happen. 
 
As he reached the entrance, his hand on the door knob, he opened the door to see the person who dotes and loves him the most, lying down there, almost lifelessly. His grandfather gave him a weak smile upon seeing him while his father just pat on his shoulder as he left the room. Donghae returned him with a sad smile and went over to kneel beside him so that he could be on eye level with his grandfather. 
 
'Donghae-ah, you've finally reached here...' His grandfather said weakly, touching Donghae's face. Donghae held his grandfather's wrinkled hand in his, a tear dropping down his cheeks. 'Grandpa... your hands feel so cold.' He simply said as he started sobbing away. His grandfather then chuckled ever so softly without much strength in his voice, and started, 'Donghae, you're my favourite grandson and you know that grandpa loves you the most... right?' To which, Donghae just nodded. 
 
He continued, 'The doctor just told your father that I have only 6 months left to live… So, I have one last and only wish that only you could fulfil for me, and I wish you will grant grandpa with my one last wish…’Donghae cried even harder when he was told that his grandfather has only 6 months left to live. ‘What is it, grandpa?’ He whimpered out. 
 
‘Grandpa… wishes to see you get married…’ His grandfather said, holding up his hand that’s closest to Donghae and pat on his head. Donghae was stunned by his words even though before his grandfather’s illness gotten this critical, he has mentioned marriage to Donghae before and told him how he wanted to see him getting married before leaving this world and such. But marriage has never come across his mind before. Never.
 
It is partly due to the fact that Donghae was still currently studying and is only 19 years old. And what’s more, he loves the freedom he is having now too much to want to be tied down in the marriage. He wanted to enjoy the freedom that was given to him now to the fullest because he knew that once he finishes his studies, his father would want him to take over his company and this meant having no more freedom to him. But right now, the person has asked him to fulfil his one last wish that is for Donghae to get married.
 
He didn’t have the heart to actually refuse and reject his grandfather’s request so after pondering for a moment, Donghae wiped away his tears before nodding and promising his grandfather that he would do it. ‘Thank you Donghae… Please forgive grandpa for being so selfish and only thinking about myself… You know you can always reject this if you don’t want to do it, right?’ His grandfather told him as he realizes how selfish he was when he requested Donghae to do such a thing without considering if he really wanted that. 
 
Donghae shook his head and held his grandfather’s hand with both hands, meeting his eyes as he gave his grandfather his signature bashful smile that he loved most, ‘Grandpa, don’t worry about it. I’ll do it. I’ll get married in the future anyway, so why not bring it forward and save all the hassle right? Don’t worry so much about me and get some rest now… I’ll come over to see you again later. I love you Grandpa.’ 
 
Donghae then went out of the room, facing the rest of his family members, including some of his uncles and aunties that were present. His father then pulled him away to a corner before asking him, ‘So… did you agreed to your grandfather’s request?’ Donghae looked out of the window and nodded silently. His father then placed his hand on his shoulder and patted, ‘That’s my good boy. I’m sorry you had to do this… But for grandfather, we have no choice. I hope you’ll understand.’ His father said before sighing. 
 
He felt really sorry to put his son through this but… he doesn’t have a choice after witnessing how Donghae’s grandfather collapsed right in front of his eyes and was looking lifeless for that very moment before he sent him to the hospital. Of course he is heartbroken to see Donghae doing something he doesn’t wish to do but he was even heartbroken when he comes to know that his own father is only left with 6 more months to live. He wanted to be able to accomplish everything that his father wanted to do, but the thing is, it isn’t up to him to do it. It was up to Donghae to do it. 
 
Donghae just smiled back at his father weakly, ‘I chose to do this on my own. There’s no one to blame it on. But… this marriage, when will it be held? And most of all… with whom?’ He asked. Mr. Lee then patted on his shoulder as if assuring him, ‘Well, son, I know you’re currently dating. And I won’t be taking away your rights of choosing your own wife when your freedom has been taken away by us. That girl can be your wife if she accepts your proposal, otherwise, we’ve already decided on a girl who will marry you. Do you still remember Uncle Park, the one who always sends you Christmas present?’ Mr. Lee asked, smiling. 
 
To which, Donghae just nodded as a respond and he continued, ‘We have already discussed this with him. Uncle Park had a daughter and although it is just an unwritten agreement between both our families, we’ve promised each other to help out if the other needed it. And so, because your mother and I was pushed to the corners and we couldn’t think of another way out, we went to him and asked him to help us to find a girl who is suitable for you. Who knew, he introduced us to his daughter and we saw how his daughter was. She is a really nice and good girl. Pretty, smart and what’s more her family background is compatible with us. So if your girlfriend isn’t going to accept the proposal, she will be your wife.’