09. Lonely

Springtime Medley
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lonely
X
Eunha-Mingyu
'Lonely' By SISTAR

Eunha | Jung Eun Bi

It's raining again.

As the sound of the raindrops continued to fill the silence in my living room, I opened a can of beer. 

The sound of the tab breaking the metal cracked and I took a sip of the drink before taking a seat on the sofa.

I sat in the dark looking at the moonlight shining through the window subtly.

My mind started to wander off and he came into my mind.

We were at the beach, the sun had long set and the moonlight was shining down on the water. There wasn't much conversation; we didn't need that.

As we enjoyed the tranquility and peace the beach offered, we immersed ourselves in each other's presence more.

The cool breeze accelerated and dash past us, sending our hair in every direction.

I shivered slightly before exchanging glances with him and we both laughed.

Without saying a word, he pulled me closer, into his gentle and warm embrace.

"I'll protect you for as long as I can." his gentle voice said as my arms wrapped around his frame.

It wasn't long before I was sobbing with tears streaming down my face. 

Just like every night since it happened.

I drank more beer, attempting to get a grip on myself.

"I'll protect you" I said out what he said to me that night, breaking the silence in the room. 

My tears refused to stop as I threw my body back onto the sofa. I curled up into a ball and hugged a pillow.

He did protect me like he say he would. He really did.

It was 12 days ago that it happened. I never thought anything like that could happen.

I stared in horror at the sight in front of me. The large scrape I got on my knee was numb and forgotten in an instant as I saw him.

I ran to him and knelt beside him. There he was, lying on the road, with blood oozing from his head. I couldn't process anything, I was shaking in fear.

People started surrounding me but I couldn't hear anything. My world seemed to stop completely and I couldn't tear my eyes away from him.

I didn't even know when I started to cry. I was jolted out of my shock when someone helped me up. I looked at her and I looked at my surrounding.

They were taking him away. I begged the woman to let me follow him and she did. In the ambulance, my gaze was still fixed on him.

"He's going to be alright, yes?" I said and the paramedics threw a worried and concerned look to me.

They stabilised his breathing but he lost so much blood that his heart rate was dropping. I felt mine dropping too.

We arrived at the hospital and he was whisked into the emergency room immediately.

I sat outside the room alone wondering when this misery was going to end.

I realised how much I needed him. My heart grew heavier and heavier with worry each second and I gripped my seat.

The next day, I found myself sitting beside him. His family came as soon as they were contacted and they accompanied me the whole time. His mother had been crying and praying all night.

I look at him, his breathing, slow and steady.

"He is currently in a coma. We do not know how the accident would have impacted his brain but we did our best. He should be conscious in about 5 days time. He's a lucky kid to have survived." The doctor said when we were gathered in the ward.

His family heaved a sigh of relief and his fraternal twin sister hugged me tightly. "Thank you, Eunha, thank you for your prayers." His mother said and hugged me as well.

A part of me was relieved but a bigger part of me was starting to be consumed by guilt.

"I'll follow you back to your apartment. You need some rest." Minkyung, his twin sister told me.

"But I want to stay here, with him." I said, casting a look to his figure before looking in Minkyung's eyes.

"Eunha, my gut feeling tells me that he wants me to take care of you first." Minkyun said with a serious face.

When I was dating him, one thing I couldn't understand was the twin connection he and Minkyung shared. I learned to trust it too.

I nodded. Minkyung gave a weak smile. "Appa and Umma will stay with him."

His parents were outside for awhile as Minkyung and I were talking. I quickly turned and walked to his bed before kissing his cheek and touching his hand.

During the 5 days away from the hospital, even though I desperately wanted to be beside him, a part of me didn't want to see him in this state. Minkyung would cook me food to make sure I ate.

It was the fifth day since he was out of the emergency room. I saw the sunlight shining through my window and it did make me feel better.

I got ready to go to the hospital. I made a herbal drink for him and his family, who had been by his side for the past 3 nights.

I tried to have positive thoughts on the way to the hospital. I walked to his ward with a hopeful heart. I clutched the thermos flask tightly in my hands.

I entered to see only Mingyu alone. I placed the flask on the table and I saw a note on the table with Minkyung's handwriting.

'We're at the cafeteria, we'll be up soon!'

I sat down beside Mingyu and arranged his blanket and I held his hand in mine, I gently touched the wound on his knuckle. It would be a scar for now.

"I'm sorry, it's all my fault." I apologised softly to him. For the past five nights I couldn't sleep without having at least one drink.

I just sat there, looking at him, as if by looking at him, he would wake up faster.

He was hurting physically while I was hurting emotionally. It does seem like we're even.

I got a shock of my life when his hand twitched. I was sure I wasn't hallucinating. I didn't move and observed him closely.

His fingers started to twitch and minutes later, he was stirring. I stood up slowly, my gaze never leaving him.

As soon as his eyes opened and started blinking, my hand rose to my mouth.

Thank you, God!

I reached for my phone and started dialling Minkyung's number. I could feel his gaze on me but he didn't say anything.

As I placed the phone on my ear, I could feel Minkyung and her parents' excitement.

After I ended the call, his voice made me shudder, "Water..." His voice was hoarse and raspy.

I immediately poured a cup of water for him.

Just then, Minkyung and his mother entered and his face brightened up.

"Umma! Minkyung!" He exclaimed excitedly.

I stood there frozen and puzzled. Why didn't he acknowledge me at all?

"Minkyung, who is she?"

My eyes widened and my phone slipped out from my fingers. I turned to him. He had a confused look. Minkyung blinked in shock.

"My son's awake!" 

We all turned to the door. His father was accompanied by a doctor and nurse who rushed to check him.

"Everything is alright. His body is functioning normally. I'll ask some questions now." The doctor said.

I was still in shock at what just happened.

"What year is it now?" The doctor asked him. He paused to think.

"2011?" he said and I felt my body becoming limp. That was almost a year before I even met him!

Minkyung and his parents looked at me. I felt my pupils shaking. The doctor and nurse finished the check-up.

"Everything seems good now except your memory but we'll run more tests to make a final conclusion."

As soon as the doctor and nurse left, he asked me, "Hi Miss, what's your name?"

"Son, she is your g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter