11. Into The New World

Springtime Medley
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Into The New World
X
DK-Yuju
‘Into The New World’ By SNSD / Girls’ Generation | 'Downpour' By I.O.I

| Other

Yuna used the back of her wrist and wiped the beads of sweat off her forehead as she laid countless of sheets and clothes on a hanging line.

Yuna clipped the pegs onto the hanging line to secure the sheets to prevent them from dropping onto the ground.

As soon as she was done, she looked around and heaved a sigh of relief.

“The laundry’s done so I need to prepare lunch and do those paperwork.” Yuna muttered to herself as she carried an empty bucket and walked into her house. As she entered her house, she sighed again, but this time, it was a sigh of uncertainty.

Her house was in a good condition, considering the situation everyone was in. Yuna saw a note left on the table from her close neighbour.

‘Yuna, I need to run some errands tonight again, can I leave Sojin and Seungwon under your care for a while later?
-Sojung’

“Of course you can.” Yuna smiled gently as she stuck the note on her fridge before washing her hands.

She took out the ingredients and carefully measured the amounts. She couldn’t afford to use up their weekly food stocks too quickly.

Yuna made some soup and cooked some rice. As she waited for the soup to simmer, she reviewed the paperwork assigned to her.

The house was quiet as she did the paperwork, it was one of the many activities that prevented her from thinking about him.

Soon light footsteps could be heard and Yuna turned around to see a young toddler waddling towards her.

“Umma…” The child said and rubbed his eyes as he walked to Yuna.

Yuna put down the paperwork and embraced the toddler.

“Good morning, sweetie” Yuna said and give him a peck on the forehead.

The toddler looked into his mother’s eyes before putting both hands on his stomach.

“Hungry..” The toddler told her and Yuna laughed before his head.

“Umma had made food in the kitchen. I want you to go brush your teeth and wash up. Hyunseok can do that, right?” Yuna replied and Hyunseok nodded enthusiastically.

“Yes, umma!” The young child said before leaping out of Yuna’s embrace. Yuna’s eyes never left Hyunseok until he was gone. She kept the paperwork aside and went back into the kitchen.

She laid the table and dished out some soup along with the vegetables and rice for Hyunseok and herself.

Hyunseok came to her a flashed his teeth to her. “That’s a good boy!” Yuna ruffled his hair as Yuna helped him up his chair.

Yuna and Hyunseok gave thanks for the food before the mother and son started eating.

The radio that was playing music cracked occasionally until there was an interruption.

“Update on the war, the troops we sent over are keeping up the fight well alongside the ally country. They caused many to retreat and are pushing the opponent further and further back into country.” The radio sounded.

Yuna immediately stopped chewing and put her utensils down and listened. Hyunseok was still in his own world and continued chewing on his rice.

“There is hope, people, don’t stop praying and fighting!” The radio continue to sound and Yuna almost teared up. ‘It’s going to be over soon…’ Yuna thought mentally as she tried to compose herself.

Yuna continued with her food and she soon realised that her radio had just crashed.

“Umma, what happened to the radio?” Hyunseok asked, fully aware of the annoying sound the radio made now.

“Oh no, our radio is spoilt...we won’t have music for a while…” Yuna said as she hit the radio to try to get it to work again.

“Umma, you are the music!” Hyunseok said and Yuna was touched. While she was feeling touched, the mention of music reminded her of him again. Those times they sat under the tree and jam away, making music together.

“Aigoo, Hyunseok…” Yuna said and kissed her son. ‘You are just like your father…’ Yuna thought as Hyunseok started to lift the bowl to drink the soup.

After lunch, Yuna assigned Hyunseok some puzzles and phonics to keep him occupied so that she had time to finish her work.

As she continued with her paperwork, she couldn’t help but stare at her wedding ring that sat on her ring finger. The sun gently illuminated the ring and it sparkled.

Yuna was only reminded more of her husband who was assigned to fight the war for the ally country as well. Yuna remembered that time just before he left where she cried in his arms.

She could tell that he was holding back his tears as well. Yuna didn’t want him to go. Yuna didn’t want to lose anymore people in her life, especially him.

‘I will come back. Trust me, this downpour will be over and I’ll return to your side.’

His promise echoed in her head, her eyes never leaving the ring that he proposed her with.

‘He doesn’t even know I was expecting Hyunseok at that time…’ Yuna laughed with a hint of bitterness.

“Umma, I’m done!” Hyunseok finished the assigned activities and ran to his mother, bringing Yuna out of her thoughts.

Remembering what Sojung wrote on the message, she turned to Hyunseok.

“We’ll go over to Sojin and Seungwon’s house later, Hyunseok, I want you to take a nap now.” Yuna said to Hyunseok who only got more excited.

“Umma, do I eally need to take a nap?” Hyunseok said and Yuna nodded firmly.

Hyunseok then tugged Yuna’s hand. “Can you sing me to sleep?”

Yuna looked at Hyunseok’s pleading face. It was so adorable that Yuna could barely resist. After some gentle whining, Yuna finally relented and accompanied Hyunseok. Yuna started singing a song that came to her mind.

Yuna sang and she patted Hyunseok to sleep.

When this rain falls on my head
I’ll get all wet even my heart
Stay with me I still can’t be
In the rain alone without you
I’m still young, I’m still a bit scared
Though I know it’ll stop soon
I’m looking for you

Will it stop now? These raindrops, these tears?
I don’t want to get wet with rain
And tremble with cold
Some day, the cold rain
Will become warm tears
And fall down, It’s alright
It’s just a passing downpour…

When Yuna was sure Hyunseok was asleep, she crawled out of the bed gently.

Yuna finished the paperwork and quickly rushed down to the office to deposit the document. It was the part-time job that was assigned to her for the war. She couldn’t continue her career as a songwriter, vocal instructor and singer.

Upon returning, she woke Hyunseok up before walking over to Sojung’s house with Hyunseok.

Sojung was preparing to leave and she was delighted to she Yuna.

“Thank you so much, Yuna…” Sojung said gratefully when Yuna entered her room. Yuna only smiled. She left Hyunseok to play with Sojin and Seungwon, Sojung’s twins, in the living room.

Yuna looked at Sojung’s work outfit. “Unnie, do you really have to do this?” Yuna said, concerned for her.

Sojung nodded with some resistance. “I have to do this”

“For Sojin and Seungwon. I have to do it. I’m grateful nothing has happened to me yet.” Sojung said to Yuna as she put on some more clothes.

Sojung worked as a pole dancer occasionally but she wasn’t a stripper. The line between the two jobs was sometimes difficult to distinguish but Sojung would neverallow herself to go that far.

“My body still only belongs to Seungcheol and me. That’ll never change and I’ll never let anything change that.” Sojung said firmly.

“Unnie, take care of yourself…” Yuna said and Sojung nodded with a smile. Sojung combed her hair up into a high ponytail.

As Sojung continued to get ready, Yuna caught sight of photos of Sojung and her husband. Yuna, could understand why Sojung had to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter