12. Boomerang

Springtime Medley
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Boomerang
X
Wonwoo-Yerin
'Boomerang' By EXO; Fourth Album 'The War' Repackaged, 'The Power of Music'

| Other

Wonwoo shook his head, sighed and took a sip of his beer. 

"Yah, what's with the sigh, Jeon Wonwoo" Kwon Soonyoung, often called Hoshi, said as he discarded a chicken drumstick into the small bin. They were at a chicken eatery.

Kim Mingyu, who sat beside Wonwoo looked up to see his face. "Is it your job?" Mingyu said and Wonwoo nodded.

"Wait, didn't you just told us like 6 months ago, that you love your job?" Hoshi said and Mingyu nodded.

"Well, take a guess who I have to work with again." Wonwoo said, looking away and Hoshi and Mingyu paused and swallowed whatever was in their mouth.

"Perhaps..?!" Mingyu said and Hoshi was quick to finish Mingyu's statement.

"Jung Yerin?!" Hoshi said and Mingyu took a sip of his beer. "Why am I surprised." Mingyu said and Hoshi nodded.

"I thought you would already know." Wonwoo said to Hoshi, who paused and looked up to think. Hoshi was dating Jung Eunha, a close cousin of Yerin.

"Oh yes, Eunha told me recently." Hoshi said.

"You and Yerin can never stopped getting acquainted." Mingyu said.

"I know! It has been 4 years. 4 years!! Wait, no, it has almost been 5 years." Wonwoo said with disbelief as he reached for another chicken wing.

"No matter how far I try to be away from her, it mever works." Wonwoo added with a sigh.

"One, after the breakup, you two entered the same university at the same time" Mingyu started listing and Wonwoo chewed on his chicken.

"Two, you guys ended having the same lectures and tutorial classes for the first semester of every university year." Hoshi added on to Mingyu's list.

"Three, you guys went to the same country and university for the exchange programme and the internship."

"Four, you guys ended up in the same field of work."

"And here we are at number five, where your companies decided to collaborate, and sent only the two of you specifically, to work in this project for 6 months straight." Mingyu finished the list and Hoshi added, "You two are even sitting beside each other" and Wonwoo was done. 

With the chicken wing.

"I don't understand why all of this is happening." Wonwoo said and stared into space.

"At least the 6 months is going to be over soon." Mingyu said. it Wonwoo was not reassured at all. He felt something tugging on his chest and he didn't know why. He had been feeling this tug for quite some time now ever since he had to work with her again.

There was silence between the three for a minute but Hoshi and Mingyu could feel that something was bothering Wonwoo.

Hoshi thought of the possibilities and  the remaining sauce of his chicken before moving closer to Wonwoo and whispered.

"Are you falling for her again?"

Wonwoo was quick to react and pulled his face back away from Hoshi and Mingyu and Hoshi looked at him.

"No. That's not possible." Wonwoo denied and Hoshi and Mingyu both raised an eyebrow. "Wonwoo, your sudden action indicates clearly you are lying." Hoshi pointed out. Wonwoo pretended he didn't hear that.

"What makes you say that?" Mingyu said as he sipped on his beer.

"Well, the reason we broke up was because we felt that our feelings for each other has changed and it will only weigh each other down when we moved on to university." Wonwoo reminded them, "It was very mutual breakup." Wonwoo said coolly.

"Well but you two are friends."

"Nope, we didn't end on that note." Wonwoo said and took a gulp of his beer.

"So it's awkward, ever since 4 years ago, because she's still an ex, and not a friend." Hoshi concluded.

Wonwoo nodded and remained silent. 'but it seems like now it's awkward because I think I'm falling for her again.' Wonwoo thought silently.

"Don't lie, Wonwoo." Mingyu said and Hoshi nodded. "You're one of the most subtle person we know but we can see you through, don't even try." Hoshi said.

Mingyu and Hoshi stared at Wonwoo, as if pressurising him to openly admit he's starting to have feelings for Yerin again. 

After a minute, which seemed like a long time, Wonwoo breathed out with slight frustration, "Fine, I don't even know why I am feeling this way."

"Why you're falling for her again?" They asked and Wonwoo nodded subtly.

"Isn't it obvious that you guys are meant to be after all that 'coincidental' set ups?" Mingyu said.

"Love isn't necessarily like that." Hoshi corrected and Mingyu almost gagged. "Don't talk like that, please!"

"Whatever," Wonwoo dismissed Mingyu's disgust and rolled his eyes. "You'll understand when you finally get together with Hwang Eunbi." Wonwoo said and Mingyu retorted, "There is nothing going on between us!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say." Hoshi said to Mingyu before turning to Wonwoo.

"Wonwoo, don't miss the chance anymore. Just go for it." Hoshi continued. 

Wonwoo looked at his two friends, who had serious looks on before sighing.

"It isn't as simple and as easy as it was way before." Wonwoo said, referring to the first time he and Yerin started dating.

"For all you know, you might have not have gotten over her."

Hey hey hey
Now I leave the time
When everything feels attuned to you
Hey hey hey
I promise myself to leave you
But the waves push me back

---------

Few days later, it was another day of work, with her. Mingyu's and Hoshi's words still lingered on his mind.

As he walked to his desk, he saw Yerin sitting at their desks, her head bowed as she did her work. He admired her from afar and he unknowingly thought of how hardworking she has always been since the day he met her.

Yerin shifted her eyes and saw Wonwoo through her bangs but she directed her attention back to her work. At least, she tried. She too, had to deal with her own feelings.

As he once again thought about his current feelings towards her now, Wonwoo couldn't help but recall the first time they were told they would be working together.

- 5 Months Ago -

Wonwoo, his manager and regional director, sat in a meeting room as they waited for the representatives of the other company to arrive.

"It's an inter-firm collaboration. We have it annually and this year we're having it with this company." His manager told Wonwoo and he nodded. As the door knocked, Wonwoo, his manager and the Regional director stood up to greet them.

A director of the company entered first and they all smiled and the Regional Director shook his hand. But Wonwoo's smiled faltered as he saw Yerin entering the door before her director.

As soon as Yerin made eye contact with him, her smile also faltered but she quickly forced it back on as she shook hands with all of them.

Yerin also ended up seating across Wonwoo and he couldn't believe it.

"Well, you two look like you two know each other." Yerin's director said and they laughed forcefully before Yerin added, "We happen to come from the same university."

"That's great to hear. You two will deliver well with such great chemistry." Wonwoo's manager joked and they all laughed, with the exception of Yerin and Wonwoo who gave sarcastic chuckles.

'Such chemistry indeed.' Wonwoo thought dreadfully as he looked away from the manager and directors.

As Wonwoo and Yerin tried to focus on the presentation. They couldn't help dropping their jaws when Wonwoo's director said, "Yerin will

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter