08. Lend Me Your Shoulder

Springtime Medley
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lend Me Your Shoulder
X
Sowon-S.Coups | Nayoung-Minhyun
'Lend Me Your Shoulder' By NU'EST; First Album 'Re:BIRTH'

S.Coups | Choi Seung Cheol

I looked at the sight in front of me. The atmosphere was intense with anticipation the whole time and I was part of it.

As soon as the 4 contending for the 11th spot flashed on the screen, I felt my heart sinking.

Minki probably half-expected that outcome but I'm pretty sure Samuel didn't. I looked at Samuel, his crestfallen face trying to hold back his tears and trying not to get emotional.

I looked at the 4 faces on the screen. Jonghyun and Dongho had calm looks despite being nervous.

They were mentioning the 14th place. As soon as BoA mentioned 'Pledis', my eyes widened.

When the name of the 14th place was mentioned, my mouth was hanging. 

How could this be?!

My mouth and eyes only grew wider when they mentioned Dongho as 13th. 

Jonghyun and Dongho didn't seem to have a sad expression but yet, there was traces disappointment in their eyes.

My heart completed sunk down. I turned to look at Minhyun, who now seemed lost.

I looked up to where I.O.I and the trainers were sitting. Kahi noona had a shocked expression and she too was clearly disappointed.

Kyeolkyung, like Kahi was clearly surprised and disappointed, just like the other I.O.I members. 

Nayoung's mouth was hanging slightly too, but she being the stone-face, her expression was unreadable to the common eye. However, I could feel that she wasn't feeling very good.

I stood there trying to digest everything that happened.

The other eliminated boys came on to the main stage to comfort and congratulate the top 20.

My heart started wrenching as I saw Minhyun crying alone. He didn't deserve this. I looked up to Nayoung and saw that she was looking at Minhyun, this time with a pained expression.

Samuel and Dongho gathered up to Minhyun to pat him on the back and comfort but as soon as Minhyun saw Jonghyun, Minhyun reached for Jonghyun.

Jonghyun wasn't crying and instead was trying to calm Minhyun down. I sighed, Jonghyun didn't deserve this either.

As much as I wanted to run up to the NU'EST members and Samuel, I couldn't. After taking a last look at my friends, including Kahi noona, Nayoung and Kyeolkyung, I snuck out.

Taking a breath of fresh air, I stood still, thinking what I should do.

There was no way I could just return to the dorm and tell the members 'Yes, that's what happened.' I felt burdened and weighed down. I saw more than the others did by livestreaming.

I need to talk it out.

I took out my phone and stared at it. I scrolled down my contacts and my eyes stopped at a particular name.

For some reason, I didn't hesitate and dialled the number.

--------------------

Sowon | Kim So Jung

I left the dorm, disguised partially. My members were having a heated discussion about the rankings and the people who didn't get into the top 11 as I left.

I couldn't completely agree with the rankings given too, but I'll accept it cheerfully.

I took a taxi to the location, which was at a bar not far from the site Produce 101 Season 2 finale was held.

I received an unexpected phone call that I couldn't refuse at all. 

Alighting the taxi, I walked to the door of the bar and pushed open.

The bar wasn't crowded but it wasn't empty too. The lights of the bar was dimly lit. I navigated my way carefully until I spotted the person I was supposed to meet.

I took off my cap and face mask and took a seat in front of him. His spectacles were on the table and he had a drink in front of him.

His face lit up slightly when he saw me and I gave a weak smile. He gave me a smile back and offered the menu. 

I placed an order and return to the table.

"I've never done this before but it seemed to be the best option at this point in time. Thank you, Sowon."

"Anytime, S.Coups." 

"Call me Seungcheol instead."

You could tell we weren't that close.

"Call me, Sojung too."

I guess that was the first step of being closer.

We laughed out as my drink was served. I took a sip from my drink.

There was something bothering Seventeen's leader tonight and I did have an inkling what it's related to.

"You did see everything that happened on that stage." I started carefully.

S.Coups nodded his head, taking a sip from his drink before he started speaking. I knew I'm on the right topic.

----------

| Other

"It's painful to have witnessed everything. Minki, Dongho, Jonghyun and Samuel didn't get a spot and Minhyun isn't feeling too good about that too." S.Coups started and Sowon listened.

"Minki fought hard and did his best to stay on the show but it wasn't enough to get a spot."

"Dongho too, he even helped the other kids grow to be better performers and he never gave up."

Sowon nodded sadly as S.Coups described each of his friends.

"Samuel, my kid, he trained so hard since his childhood! He didn't lack anything, he created wonderful choreography that Hoshi would be proud of." S.Coups said.

"He was one of my favourite, I thought his previous ranking was a good sign..." Sowon said and sighed.

"We were all fooled." S.Coups said.

"Minhyun should be celebrating yet he is crying when he shouldn't." S.Coups started again, "he had high hopes that Jonghyun would be in with him but he's alone."

"Everyone in the top 20, even the top 35 deserves a chance to be in the top 11, but some stand out more than the rest." S.Coups said and Sowon shared his opinon.

"Group dynamics is important too. Some contestants fit certain roles better but you can't include everyone in.." Sowon said.

"It's the harsh reality of a survival show." S.Coups said and Sowon nodded.

There was a moment of silence and Sowon drank some of her drink.

"How is Nayoung feeling?" Sowon asked, concerned for her friend. "Nayoung couldn't do anything but watch from afar. Behind her stone face, I'm sure she feels the emotions." S.Coups said and Sowon's face fell.

"And Jonghyun,"

Sowon looked up and she saw that S.Coups was sad. She too was feeling the sadness.

"He is my good friend, he was the one who guided me on my journey in Pledis, teaching me how to rap and dance, just like how he did to the trainees here." 

"He is so selfless, my heart became heavy when he was announced as the 14th." Sowon said candidly and S.Coups could feel her empathy; they were clearly on the same frequency.

"He put up a strong front and even smiled when he knew he wasn't in. I've never seen a person like that." Sowon said and S.Coups nodded.

"He really deserved to be in.  He isn't called the nation's leader for nothing." S.Coups continued and both of them drank their drink.

"He was also my inspiration to become a good leader.." 

"I just wished things didn't turn out this way." S.Coups said and Sowon nodded. "Me too."

"The rankings might seem like a trivial thing but they are my friends, the people I trained with, the ones who gave me strength to pursue my dream." S.Coups said and Sowon, reached her hand out for S.Coups.

"I understand how that feels too..." Sowon said, thinking about her DSP media days. Her fellow friends now in K.A.R.D, didn't have an easy start too.

S.Coups could feel his body easing slightly when Sowon touched him. He didn't flinched at all.

"It wasn't easy for Kahi as well, they were like her children as well." S.Coups said and Sowon nodded.

"I really want to see them now but I don't think it's possible..." S.Coups continued.

The two kept silent now and occasionally glanced at each other.

"Actually there might be a way."

S.Coups looked up, meeting Sowon's eyes. Sowon took out her phone.

"Nayoung? It's Sojung" Sowon spoke i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter