13. Love Bug

Springtime Medley
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13. Love Bug

from 'Time For The Moon Night', The 6th Mini Album By GFRIEND
Sowon (Kim Sojung) -- S.Coups (Choi Seung Cheol)

Sojung staggered into the room hastily, her hand over . She shut the door befor she leaned on to the door and slid onto the floor. What did she just blurt out? 

‘What a terrible idea to drink alcohol with him!’ Sojung thought anxiously as she fanned her face, in a feeble attempt to stop her face from excessive blushing and flushing. She’d no idea if it was the mix of soju and beer, or if it is because of what she had just accidentally revealed to him. By far, in this already crazy, quarantine summer, this was the craziest thing she has ever done.

Flashback to a month ago when a virus outbreak escalated and the world health authorities deemed it as a pandemic, Sojung found herself in a surprising yet sticky situation.

“Eunbi! You’re leaving this house with Mingyu, leaving me with him?” Sojung, clearly horrified, asked to confirm again and the addressed lady nodded. “We need a bit more space and it’s social distancing too. Don’t get too upset Sojung, at least it’s not with a complete stranger! It’s Mingyu’s roommate, Seungcheol, and technically you know him.” Eunbi continued but Sojung was too busy trying to not be disturbed by the sudden news.

Much to Sojung’s dismay, Eunbi and Mingyu didn’t change their mind and left the house within the next few days. As she and her current, sole housemate stood by the door to bid the couple farewell, they noticed each others’ slightly uncertain looks.

“Goodbye Sojung, goodbye Seungcheol! We’ll see you two once our final year in college starts!” Mingyu said ecstatically as he waved before getting into their car and driving off. Seungcheol sighed and walked back into the house and plopped himself on the sofa. Sojung looked over before she went into her own room.

Despite leaving under the same roof with Seungcheol since sophomore year, they’ve barely interacted. Simply because there wasn’t a need or even occasion to. After being slumped on the bed for a good 10 minutes, she sat up, determined to give a shot and try to get to know him. With the increasing quarantine situation, moving out and returniing home wouldn’t be wise and who knows how long more they would have to stay in the same house?

However when she walked out, he’d left the living room and was by the kitchen island studying. Figuring out that his semester had yet to end and he still had to do finals and submissions, she backed away into her room again. The house dynamic became as such for 2 weeks. The only interaction they would have would pertain to essential activities like grocery shopping, their 3 meals and the basic questions of “how’s your current workload?” and course-related questions. You could say their relationship was purely academical. That is, until that day when they got in each others’ way.

“Sojung, can you lower your volume? I’m trying to concentrate!” Seungcheol barged into her room without knocking with an annoyed expression and tone, something she has never seen before. At that moment , she was suddenly lost for words and could only blink in surprise. ‘Where are my manners...why am I paralysed...’

Her friend on a video call continued to yap away without any inkling of the tension between them. He moved away, looking more exasperated, almost as if he had expected a reaction from her. Sojung muted herself on that call and leapt out of her bed. “I’m sorry. I’ll be more mindful.” Sojung managed to utter as she entered the living room but she almost wanted retract her apology immediately.

He wasn’t studying but he was gaming. GAMING! And he dare to barge into her room without knocking and lash out at her? Since when did he finish his finals?! He’d resumed his game after he respawning and didn’t hear her. Sojung was about to talk back but could only storm off in anger knowing it was pointless to speak to a boy immersed in his game.

That whole evening, Sojung remained cold and intentionally hostile. By then the gamer effect had worn off and Seungcheol was back to his mild, sanguine temperament. It was his turn to be confused. Sojung still had some heart to make dinner for them but she took her share into her room.

Being the peacemaker he was, he couldn’t resisting going to her room after his dinner. He couldn’t afford a strained relationship considering the quarantine situation they were in. Now that his finals were over too, she would be his sole physical companionship.

He knocked on the door and waited for her reply before coming in. Sojung was surprised because this behaviour contrasted greatly from his action earlier that day. “I noticed you’re a little cold today. Did I do anything wrong for you to react this way or is it something external?”

For some reason, Sojung felt her guard down and she softened slightly, the irritation was wearing off too. “I was unhappy that you were rude earlier today when you barged into my room being super frustrated and said I was too noisy, because you were playing a game.”

“Ah, I’m really sorry.” Seungcheol immediately apologised for his behaviour. “It’s just I get really heated up sometimes when I play games. This must be new to you at least.” He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly and Sojung had no reason to be upset anymore. “I see...Wait, I thought you had finals and submissions?”

“I just finished this morning. That’s why I started gaming again to destress. But I guess I had more pent up stress than I realised.” Seungcheol explained and Sojung  congratulated him for completing another semester. “Hopefully being pent up in this house won’t cause you to feel pent up.” Sojung added.

“Thanks for the dinner, especially since you were still upset with me.” He thanked her and she smiled, she hadn’t noticed how he had such beautiful eyes until now. “Ah, no worries. We’re housemates. Mingyu and Eunbi would have done the same.” He offered a smile back to her as he stood up. Sojung came face to face with his muscular, well-sculpted thighs, which she subsequently prompted her eyes to look at his face to avoid making it awkward.

“I’m going to game right now, but my friends aren’t coming online just yet. If you’d like, as an apology, I can teach you to play. That is, if you aren’t busy-“

“I would appreciate that, it will be something new this period. Let’s go!” Sojung said and jumped up, almost toppling her bowl of dinner over, but thankfully Seungcheol’s fast reflexes prevented any mishaps from happening. 

“That was close” Sojung said but before she could say another word, he took her hand in his and led her to the living room where his game controllers and consoles were. Sojung almost felt electrified when his skin came into contact with hers, but she brushed it off, thinking, ‘Maybe it’s just my body overreacting due a lack of physical contact in this quarantine period.'

Unbeknownst to her and even Seungcheol, the edges of his lips were curled up as she trailed behind him into the living room.

—————

Sojung bit her lip as she panicked and hit a button on the controller that caused her a life in the game. She made this mistake a couple of times and Seungcheol was visibly amused and entertained yet also puzzled at why it was taking her much longer to get this right.

Instead of describing the skill combo, Seungcheol shuffled beside her and crossed an arm over her shoulder and placed his hands over her fingers and guided her fingers to accurately do as what he taught. Under his direct guidance, she definitely picked the skill up faster. The whole time as she tried to get that skill in her muscle memory, she could feel herself getting shy at the physical contact.

Seungcheol had never been this close to her and although her had a cool expression, his insides were quite the opposite of calm. 

“Even though, I’m terrible at this, this is fun!” Sojung said as she got the hang of the game. “So what have you been doing all by yourself, while I was mugging my away?” Seungcheol struck a conversation as they chilled by the living room.

“Tying s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter