Sehun

City Wolf

 

 

 

Conveniently, Sehun had only part-time jobs. He was eternally pretending to be an university student, not sure where he was going in life, and he preferred it that way.

 

 

Walking to one of his jobs, he was striding through the wind with his long legs and his blond hair dancing in the wind. It was chilly, this morning. And Sehun in all his youth's flippancy had forgotten to wear a scarf, and maybe, gloves. He got inside the shop, breathing out loudly the last of cold air inside his lungs. He looked up to smile to Krystal posted at the cash register. She smiled in return, her chic face softening in the process. 

 

 

His workplace was a small gift shop. And proof of that, was that he could see the white of Krystal’s teeth from the entrace, when she was posted at the register situated in the back of the shop. However, he liked it, like that. It was his favorite part-time job in all his part-time jobs, and partly because it was owned by a werewolf like himself and that meant, he didn’t have to worry about keeping a secret.  

 

 

Sehun was a great listener, but he tended to discuss secrets with anybody he found he liked. It wasn’t lack of awareness or plain stupidity, nor was it by error. He just found talking about secrets, people’s often uncomfortable subjects, tremedously interesting and worth to deepen with another. He privileged one on one conversation and Krystal, his friend slash coworker was quite on par on keeping up with Sehun’s gossip.

 

 

And that’s why she left to the side the new arrival of birthday’s cards, to lean toward her tall friend, elbows on the desk, face cushioned by her hands. 

 

’’Tell me about Baekhyunnie, it’s been so long since you talked about him.’’

 

Sehun frowned. It just reminded him, that yes it had been a while since he had heard from Baekhyun. The last time he saw him, they had discussed the supposed ’’call from the forest’’, and Sehun had pushed him to follow it. Now, he wasn’t so sure it had been a good idea. 

 

’’I saw him last week, it’s weird that he didn’t contact me since. You know, how I suggested to him to go for a run, explore the forest nearby.’’

 

’’Yeah, you told me about it…’’

 

Krystal smiled a bit.

 

’’I’m sure he’s fine.’’

 

Sehun wondered. He decided to visit him at his apartement, it was weird of Baekhyun to not have contacted him for so long.

 

 

 

Promptly, he decided to go after work. His motivation was at its highest point. Krystal had wished him good luck, when they left the shop, the sun already down. He took the metro, passing his stop. Seeing the familiar beige building, he entered, checking if Byun Baekhyun name was on the register. It was, the plastic over it turned yellowish from age.  Sehun pouted, climbing the sairs to the 3rd floor, two steps by two. He knocked, only silence responding him. He fidgeted in front of the door. In the corridor no neighbors were in sight. He could hear children’s scream and TV. He bit his lip wondering where to go from here.  He jumped hearing the stairs crack, he waited apprehensive at his spot. 

 

 

A tall woman emerged, a stylish trenchcoat on. Her eyes showed her surprised, but she quickly nodded her head greeting him simply. Sehun thought this was his chance, quitting his immobility to step forward, as the woman was turning to unlock her door. 

 

’’Excuse me…’’

 

She turned back, her shoulder lenght brown hair flowing in the quick movement. Her eyebrows were hitched up, inquisitive.

 

’’My friend live here. But I can’t contact him since a week, have you seen him? That’s his door.’’

 

Sehun pointed to the door, trying for a small smile to etch his lips.

 

She frowned. ’’No. But, now, that you say it. It’s true. I used to hear his door slam shut every mornings. This week I slept like a charm.’’ She smiled, showing it wasn’t that bad. But upon seeing the man unchanging facial expression, she added.

 

’’I hope it’s nothing serious.’’

 

Sehun shrugged. ’’I hope so too. Sorry for the door. I’ll mention it to him.’’

 

She smiled, concern showing in her face. 

 

’’Don’t fear to call the police. I heard some violent murder happened around here not to long ago.’’

 

Sehun froze, momently. But, reminded himself though, that Baekhyun wouldn’t be defenseless against a human, be it a violent one. Nevertheless, he felt bad not knowing where was his friend and how it took him a week to do something about it.

 

’’I’m sure it’s not that. Give me your number. If I see him or anything, I’ll call you.’’

 

Sehun stared at her, red coming to his cheeks. He willed it down, fetching his cellphone from his pocket. It was a good idea.

 

’’I’m Sooyoung by the way.’’

 

She bowed slighly again and he did the same.

 

’’Sehun. Thank you for your help.’’

 

 

 

He chose next to enter the apartment by the window. Luckily for him, Baehyun building was old, with a fire escape along the bricks. He forced the window. Inside, the bed was unmade, but it was a natural occurence. Everything was at its place, nothing seemed to be left in a rush. He knew what smelled Baekhyun. And even if it was his apartment, the smell wasn’t fresh. He sighed, leaving clueless.

 

 

He fell asleep agitated. Tomorrow he would go to his friend’s job. 

 

 

 

The next day, Sehun had clothed himself without care, looking awfully brown, with his pants and shirt of the same color. He had woke up by himself, early. He called his part-time job, saying he was sick. The following two days were his free days. Enough time he hoped to find Baekhyun and bring him home.

 

 

Baekhyun’s job was a linked to a big chain of clothing store. They had over fifty stores, maybe twenty in Seoul, the capital. Sehun didn’t know how to explain his prescence there or how he would obtain information. He entered decided. 

 

 

He accosted a worker. He wasn’t older than him, a teen for sure. ’’Hey, I was searching for someone who work here, his name is Baekhyun.’’ The boy seemed to think, hands linked on his front.

 

’’I think he quit, it’s been a while I seen him.’’ Sehun raised his eyebrows, alarmed. ’’When was the last time you saw him?’’

 

’’Thursday of last week, I think,’’ the boy answered him.

 

Sehun cursed himself, muttering under one’s breath. He tried to read the eyes of the teen, anything suspiscious. ’’Any idea of were he is, like a new job?’’

 

He begin to shake his head no. Sehun hurried to ask another question. ’’Is someone here considered his friend?’’

 

 

’’Has something happen to him?’’ The teen asked, alarmed. ’’Maybe Sunny could help you, her section’s just ahead.’’ He pointed the direction for Sehun.

 

Sehun thanked him without answering his question. He hoping the woman had something to tell about his friend.

 

He found her, folding jeans on a tray with wheels. 

 

’’Sunny?’’

 

’’Yes.’’ She said as she turned toward Sehun. ’’Can I do something for you?’’

 

’’I’m Baekhyun’s friend, would you have seen him recently?’’ he asked.

 

’’Where’s that man indeed, huh?’’ she said, putting her hands on her hips. ’’He was fired,’’ she sighed, taking another pair of jeans, ’’not officially yet, but if he comeback, and his story isn’t gut-wrenching enough he’s at the door.’’

 

 

He nodded gravely. The lady had no other informations to give him. He left the store discouraged. Now, one option was left for him to deepen, the forest.