Friend

Me vs Kingkas: Wae Me?!

You felt terrible even more. You just realized that not only you skipped the practice for the school competition, you also missed practice dance with Mark for the test. ‘Crap.’ You mentally sighed as you fell back on your bed. You felt bump underneath your back and you grabbed something behind your back and lifted it up in confused. It was a book that Mark let you borrowed it. “Oh yeah… I need to return this to him.” You mumbled then your eyes soften. It was really sad ending that your heart broke for the gangster man. You shook your head and sat up as the door knocked.

“Come in.” you called out in curious. Your appa walked in with small smiles on his face.

“Hey.” He greeted softly.

You crisscross your legs as the book placed on your lap. “Appa, do you need something?” you asked him in confused why he here.

Your appa crossed his arms with a heavy sighed, “Teia…” you frowned, he rarely called your full name unless it was serious, “I think it’s best for you to transfer school where Kate used to go.” He said.

You froze as you stared at him in disbelieved. “W-what?” Your appa closed his eyes, “She thinks that this school will help you prepare-“ You jumped off your bed and glared at your appa, “Prepare?! Prepare for what?! For going to be stuck-up -kisser?!” you snapped.

Your appa opened his eyes at you with a shocked looked. “Teia…” you shakes your head.

“Anieyo! I’ve been waiting for JYP High to accept me for a long time and it’s been one of my dreams to go there. You knew that! You supported that! And now you want me to leave my school to transfer that snotty spoiled school?! I refused appa!” you shouted and then quickly grabbed your phone and left your bedroom.

“Teia!” you ignored your appa as you ran down the stairs and quickly slipped on your white converse shoes without even bothering to tie. You left the house with the door slam shut behind you and stormed away from your house. “I can’t believe him!” you hissed in furious and upset with your appa as your dislikes for Kate grew. 

[][][][][]

Jinyoung sighed in relieved after he stacked the boxes behind the café. He has been helping his grandmother to put away the empty boxes for a while because his grandmother ordered new supplies for her café. Jinyoung walked back inside and smiles at his grandmother, “Got everything?” he asked his grandmother in curious.

His grandmother smiles warmly, “Thank you my sweet boy. Here.” His grandmother gave him a bag of cookies.

Jinyoung thanked and hugged her, “Will you be alright?” he asked her in concerned.

His grandmother waved at him, “I’ll be fine. Now go home. It’s late and you have school tomorrow.” She said. Jinyoung smiles and left the café.

He whistled softly in the nice night air. Jinyoung paused when he recognized someone, and that someone is, “Little princess!” he ran to you.

You halt your steps and turned around in confused. You blinked, “Jinyoung… what are you doing here?” you asked him.

Jinyoung grinned, “Just finished helping my grandmother. What are you doing here at this late of time?” he asked you in worried.

You frowned, “I just want to take a walk.” You mumbled in half-lied.

Jinyoung raise his eyebrows at you, “Is that so? Then… how about we take a walk together? Better than be alone at night when there’s criminal out there.” He said.

You rolled your eyes, “Whatever.” You didn’t think about how dangerous it was at night when there’s still criminal out there.

Jinyoung and you started to walk on the sidewalk underneath dark night sky filled with stars and full moon. Unaware that you didn’t tie your shoes and you tripped over however, Jinyoung caught you around your waist. “Whoa! You okay?” you stumbled and blinked in surprised. His face was too close to your face; showing concerned.

You jerked your head back, “Fine.” You mumbled.

Jinyoung gently helped you to stand up properly and glanced down. His lips quirk up in slight amuse, “Your shoes are untied.” He said as he pointed at your shoes.

You felt like an idiot, you completely forgot to tie your shoes. Just as you were about to bend down, Jinyoung beat you as he bends down and ties your shoes. You have no idea what to say about this since no one ever tie your shoes for you.

No one.

Awkward.

After Jinyoung tied your shoes, he stood up and pushed his hands into his front pockets, “There.” He said with a smile.

You gave him a strange look, “Thanks.”

Jinyoung nod his head and you both started to walk once again. It wasn’t uncomfortable silence between you two, just little awkward. Then Jinyoung opened the bag and took one of the cookie, “Want it?” he asked you nicely and you glanced at the cookie.

You reached for it and grabbed it, “Thank you.” You mumbled and nibbled your cookie. You haven’t eaten dinner yet and you are hungry.

Jinyoung smiles and took one of the cookie for himself, “My grandmother is an excellent baker.” You glanced at Jinyoung while nibbled your cookie, “She’s been baking for thirty-six years. You know the café, not too far from here, called ‘Sweet Dawn’. You know it?” he asked you.

You tilted your head as you attempted to remember that café but none comes so you shook your head. “I don’t think I ever been to that café.” You said.

Jinyoung eyes wide in surprised, “Really? It’s actually quite popular. A lot of people goes there during weekends and holidays.” He smiles, “It was crazy. But luckily, my grandmother had help from me and my friends.” He said happily.

You finished your cookie and glanced up at the night sky, “Are you going to take over your grandmother’s café once she’s retire?” you asked him in curious.

Jinyoung blinked then shakes his head, “Anieyo. I can’t take over her café. She was hoping to give her café to her grandson when he decides to step in. Plus, she’s not really my grandmother.” Jinyoung added the last part but smiles still on his face.

You raise your eyebrows at him, “Really? Then… wae called her your grandmother?” you were confused and curious.

Jinyoung hummed, “Well… I didn’t have perfect childhood. I didn’t have friend and I was lonely. One day, I passed that café, looking all dirty and filthy because the bullies took my money and pushed me down on the ground.” Jinyoung said happily as if that doesn’t bother him while you stared at him, “The owner of that café saw me. She let me in and helped me clean as best as she could and gave me treats and smoothies. She was one of the people who are so kind to me. After that, I’ve been visited her a lot. Helping her anyway I could. And because of her, she introduced me to a new friend. My first friend, JB.” Jinyoung explained, “JB and I grew up together; helping my grandmother in café and she even let me called her that. I think it’s because she missed her grandson calling her that and he rarely visit her. Not even I have seen him after all these years.” Jinyoung smiles, “But I made sure that my grandmother is well taken care of and whatever she needs, I’ll be there.” He said.

You were quiet this whole time as you were listening to his story. Then you looked at him, “Wae you telling me this?” you asked in confused why he is open up to you.

Jinyoung shrugged his shoulders, “It’s not a bad thing to open up a little. I want you to be comfortable with me. It’s okay if you don’t want to talk about yourself, I respect that.” He said with assured smile.

For some reason, you kind of feel little comfortable with him and you don’t know why. You lifted your eyes up at the night sky and stare-gazing at it while walking next to Jinyoung, “…my appa wants me to transfer school.” You blurted out, surprising yourself and Jinyoung.

Jinyoung furrowed his eyebrows, “Wae? It’s only been a week and a half since school started.” Jinyoung doesn’t understand.

You grimaced as your eyes stay at the stars, “Because of Kate…” you rolled your eyes, “Step-mother wanted to ruin my life and change me into someone like her.” You grumbled. Jinyoung is listening to you very carefully while you couldn’t look at him, “It’s been my dream to go to JYP High. I’ve been waiting for that school since I was little. Appa knew that and yet… he told me that change school would be better for me?” you scoffed and shifted your eyes down at your shoes as you are still walking. “I don’t want to be some kind of professional business woman or lady-like style. It’s just… It’s not me. I’m not Kate. I’m more of my umma.” You whispered the last part.

Jinyoung tilted his head, “Then tell that to your appa.” Jinyoung said softly.

You dare to look at him with lost yet anger in your eyes.

“He loves you and he only wants what best for you. He listened to your step-mother because she talked to him. You should talk to him how you feel. I’m sure he’ll understand and hopefully, let you continue to come JYP High.” Jinyoung said.

You halt your steps and Jinyoung paused as well. You both stared at each other as your weighing on your shoulders slowly lifted a little. Your eyes soften, “…I’ll talk to him.” You whispered and Jinyoung smiles.

“If you ever need someone to talk… I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.” He promised and your heart squeeze at that promise.

‘That’s…what umma promised me few years ago.’ You mused as you hesitated.

However, something in Jinyoung eyes that was so sincere and you couldn’t help it but nodded your head. “Okay.” And that was when you and Jinyoung actually bonding into friendship.

Unexpectedly that there was a figure, hiding in the shadow with a camera; taking pictures of you and Jinyoung.

[][][][][]

You stood front of your house as you holding tightly on your phone. Jinyoung was nice enough to walked you back to the bus stop and promised to call you later when he gets home after numbers exchanged. You bit your lip; thinking for couple of minutes until your phone vibrated. You glanced at number, ‘JINYOUNG’.

You answered, “Jinyoung?” you blinked in confused that he must be at home already.

“Hey. Did you talk to your appa?” his voice shown concerned.

You stared at the house, “Not yet.” You mumbled.

“You’ll be alright. If it makes you feel better, if everything goes wrong… I’ll come over and talk to him.”

Your eyes wide as you did not expect that, “You would do that?” you were surprised to hear that.

“Of course!” Jinyoung sounds offended, “That’s what friends are for little princess.”

You rolled your eyes at the nickname but a small smile appeared on your face. “…can you stay on the phone as I talk to appa?” you felt silly but you were nervous since you did snap at your appa.

Jinyoung hummed, “I can do that. Makes it feel like I’m there for you.”

Your heart squeezed, it’s been a long time since you have someone who are so sincere about you. “Alright, I’m going and I’ll have my phone on mute but you’ll listen to entire thing.” You explained.

“Alright.” Jinyoung understood.

You put on the mute and held it close to your chest. You walked to the house and opened the door. You closed the door behind you and slipped off your shoes after you untied the laces. You walked to the living-room and saw your appa and Kate sitting together on the couch.

Your appa glanced up with worried face, “Little Te-te…” he was so worried and you felt guilty.

“Appa…” you took a breath, “I want to stay JYP High beca-“ your appa shook his head and stood up.

“Little Te-te, I’m so sorry.” He apologized as he walked to you.

You took steps back, “Wait appa.” He paused with hurt expression, “…I just want to say… JYP High is my dream school. I still want to go there because it’s who I am. Just like umma…” you trailed off and couldn’t continue.

However, your appa understood what you were going to say and he closed his eyes. “Of course little Te-te. I just want what’s best for you. Kate want what’s best for you too.” You glanced at Kate who stared at you emotionless, “I’m sorry that I tried to take that away from you. You can continue to go there. I’m so sorry.” Appa apologized.

You glanced back at him and smiles softly, “It’s okay appa. I’m glad that you letting me stay.” You were happy about that.

Your appa and you hugged each other then he inhaled, “And as for the cuss words… you can do better than that.” He whispered to you; not letting Kate hear it.

You grinned, “I’ll practice appa.” You silently giggled and your appa concealed his chuckled.

You and your appa break the hugs, “Go to bed. You have school tomorrow.” Appa said and you nodded your head.

You turned around and walked upstairs and into your bedroom. You shut the door behind you calmly and lifted your phone up and un-mute. “Jinyoung?” you wondered if he still there.

“Hey. I’m glad you still going to JYP High.” You smile. “And your appa actually let you say bad words?” Jinyoung sounds disbelieved and you chuckled. “Wae?”

“Maybe I’ll tell you someday.” You said with slight amused. Jinyoung was mumbling in confused and disbelieved.

“Jinyoung…”

“Ye?”

“Thank you.” You mean it.

“Anything for a friend.”

You closed your eyes and smiles. ‘Friend… maybe…maybe being friend with them wouldn’t be too bad once I give them a chance…’