Chapter 18: Kiss Me

Seoul's Stragglers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18: Kiss Me

[WARNING: I feel the need to warn you guys about the strong language and delicate topics mention on this chapter… If you need me to upload a ‘cleaner’ version, please let me know 😊]

Jihyo looked at the clock on the wall. She sighed when Jeongyeon stood up from her chair for the tenth time.

“Where the are they?” Jeongyeon yelled.

Jihyo sighed and rolled her eyes. She knew the girl was going to explode sooner or later.

“Okay, can you calm down?”

Jeongyeon gave her a deathly glare.

“Don’t you dare, I have every right to be mad right now”

Jihyo puffed her cheeks. Jeongyeon was right.

“Look, I know Chaeyoung-ah should have told you, but I mean, she’s with Namjoon-ssi and Seokjin-ssi, is not like she is wandering around the streets alone”

Jeongyeon groaned.

“Oh, come on, you really fell for that?” she asked.

Jihyo gave her a confused look. Jeongyeon raised an eyebrow.

“You really think she’s with them? Come on Jihyo, think about it, Namjoon-ssi would have told me, sent a message or something, and Seokjin-oppa would have called or forced Chaeyoung-ah to call me, you know how he is”

Jihyo chuckled, that man had to be the most overprotective human being on Earth.

“Alright, but they called you and they said Chaeyoung had dinner there and they were already on their way, right?”

Jeongyeon groaned and nodded.

“See? So please calm down before you faint or something”

“Whatever” Jeongyeon murmured “Where’s Nayeon-ssi?”

Jihyo tried her best to hide her smile, but she stopped trying when she noticed Jeongyeon looking everywhere but at her.

“Her room” Jihyo answered.

Jeongyeon nodded.

“Call me when Chaeyoung-ah gets here?”

“Sure thing” Jihyo said.

She giggled silently when she saw Jeongyeon open Nayeon’s room’s door.

----------o----------

“Okay, so, again, why didn’t you tell Jeongyeon-ah you were coming over to a friend’s house?” Namjoon asked.

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes.

“Because she wasn’t going to let me come”

“Why do you think that? She lets you go to Dahyun’s house” Seokjin said from the driver’s seat.

Chaeyoung groaned.

Why were they so annoying?

Chaeyoung was sure none of them need explanations, her sister wouldn’t have let her go all the way from her school to Mina’s ballet academy all alone when it was almost night time. Besides, if her sister ever found out where Mina and her sisters lived, Chaeyoung was sure she would never let her visit Mina.

Mina.

Oh, beautiful Mina.

She knew she was smiling like an idiot, but she didn’t care. Her hand unconsciously travelled to her pocket, where she found her phone.

“Yah! Kid, answer us!” Seokjin demanded.

“Huh?”

Seokjin groaned and murmured something about him always getting ignored. Chaeyoung didn’t really pay much attention to him or Namjoon and zooned out while staring through the window.

Mina.

Beautiful, perfect Mina.

Mina who she was going to see dancing.

Mina, who liked her too.

Mina, who she really, really, wanted to kiss.

She bit her lower lip.

Chaeyoung wasn’t exactly sure when it clicked inside her head, but she had been thinking about the Japanese girl ever since her rap competition. She just couldn’t get her out of her head.

She stopped drawing in class because every single one of her doodles had something to do with Mina. From ballet shoes, to the Japanese flag, to some random Hiragana characters, little ballerinas. She surprised herself when, in Math class, she ended up drawing an anime-like version of Mina.

But since she was Chaeyoung, and she loved drawing, she couldn’t keep herself from doodling on her notebooks, so whenever she wanted to draw something Mina-related she drew a penguin instead.

However, it didn’t stop her from thinking about the girl because she kind of remind her of the animal. Chaeyoung told her about it, she remembered Mina laughing.

Chaeyoung really liked Mina’s laugh. And her smile. And her lips. She shook her head.

Stop Son Chaeyoung! Stop right there!

When Seokjin’s car finally stopped in front of her house she remembered she still had to face her sister.

She felt something weird on her stomach: fear.

She was sure Jeongyeon was going to give her an earful for not telling her before leaving to school.

----------o----------

Jeongyeon was not only angry but confused too.

As soon as she twisted the door’s knob, she wondered what the heck was she doing.

“Don’t you know how to knock?” Nayeon’s voice filled her ears.

She was about to apologize and turn around when she remembered it was Nayeon who spoke. Jeongyeon rolled her eyes.

“Oh, shut up” she groaned.

She walked into the room and closed the door behind her.

Once again, she was confused. Why did she do that? Why not just leave it open?

“Are you okay?” Nayeon asked.

Jeongyeon groaned.

“I take it as a no”

Jeongyeon groaned again. She walked towards Nayeon’s bed and stood next to it until Nayeon moved to her right, leaving space for her.

She let her body fall onto the mattress.

“Yah, talk to me”

The younger girl sighed in frustration.

“Chaeyoung-ah hasn’t come back yet, Namjoon-ssi said him and Seokjin-oppa were with her, they said she had dinner with them”

“And?”

“And I don’t believe a word”

Nayeon sighed, Jeongyeon felt how she sat on the bed and before she knew she was staring at Nayeon’s face, she was sitting next to her.

“Okay, tell me what you think is going on”

“No! I don’t want to think about it!” Jeongyeon groaned and hid her face under Nayeon’s pillow.

“Come on, what? You think she was seeing someone?”

Jeongyeon groaned yet again and pressed the pillow even further into her face.

“Okay, so what if she was? Jeongyeon-ah, she’s seventeen, you really think she never had a boyfriend, kissed someone or slept with someone?”

Jeongyeon frowned and pushed the pillow angrily.

“No!” She yelled.

Nayeon looked taken aback but didn’t move.

“Well, it’s possible! She’s a teen, ever heard of hormones?” She asked with a tiny smirk with Jeongyeon really wanted to slap away.

“Shut up” she murmured with anger.

Nayeon chuckled.

“I’m serious though, Chaeng it’s really pretty, she spends a lot of time at the Underground Spot, I wouldn’t be surprised”

Jeongyeon frowned at the thought. Her little sister kissing some random pathetic idiot who didn’t have any future ahead of him, who would just play with her, who was probably older than Chaeyoung, maybe he had a beard, and what if he lived alone? He probably invited Chaeyoung lots of times over and since the kid always came back late it would be the perfect time to- OH .

“Shut up! She’s not like that!” Jeongyeon exploded.

Nayeon raised an eyebrow at her.

“She’s not like what?”

“Not you!”

Jeongyeon, who started feeling sick just from the thought of her little sister sleeping at some dude’s bed, regretted her words as soon as they came out from .

She noticed.

She noticed how Nayeon’s face suddenly fell. Her eyes… Jeongyeon mustered the courage to look at her… Nayeon had tears on her eyes, how did that even happen?

The girl moved away, Jeongyeon following her.

“You are right, she’s not like me and you should be thankful she’s not like me”

“Yah, I’m- I’m sorry I didn’t- “

“Chaeyoung-ah is not a , you are right, but sleeping with someone doesn’t make you one, she’s a teen, is normal, if you dare say something like that to her, I swear I’ll beat the crap out of you” Nayeon warned.

Jeongyeon was taken aback. However, it took her two seconds to realize Nayeon was threating her. Threating her.

“You don’t have any right to tell me what I can or can’t do, especially since Chaeyoung-ah is my sister and she’s none of your business!”

Nayeon scoffed.

“Oh! But you didn’t say that when I bought her a cellphone!”

“I didn’t ask you to do it!”

“Of course you didn’t! You, prideful little jerk!” she said

“I’m a jerk now?!”

“Yes, you are! What the hell?! You think I’m a ? Well, then yeah, I am! And I enjoy every single minute of ting! At least I won’t die knowing I was a sad, bitter, ing idiot!”

“Of course you’ll be ing proud of having slept with the whole damn city, you ! It’s the only way you don’t feel lonely! You can’t bear to be alone! You just can’t, you have be with someone, feel wanted, needed, you can’t find someone who wants you as more as a ing one night stand, you just go around offering yourself like a goddamn ! You feel so ing lonely! You just gotta have random inside you every ing night to feel a little better, don’t you Nayeon-ssi?! I'm surprised you aren’t pregnant yet you ing ! ”

Jeongyeon would have kept going. She really would. There had been few times in which Jeongyeon had made very clear she didn’t like Nayeon’s life choices. But they had never fought about it, sure maybe a couple of name callings but usually, Nayeon ignored her, which this time didn’t happen. This time Nayeon looked destroyed by her words, it made Jeongyeon feel bad because that meant Nayeon wasn’t feeling okay and beyond the whole “” thing, which Jeongyeon really, really hated… She did care for Nayeon.

She didn’t quite understand what had been going on inside her mind lately but, recently she’d found herself paying way too much attention to Nayeon. She didn’t know what the that meant, and she didn’t want to find out either.

Nayeon’s sob brought her back to reality.

“The won’t bother you anymore, don’t worry” she whispered so softly, Jeongyeon almost missed it.

Jeongyeon waited for more words, some kind of comeback, but it didn’t come. Instead, the girl turned around with tears all over her face and opened the door.

Before her feet could react, the front door opened and closed, Jihyo was yelling Nayeon’s name and asking questions which Jeongyeon didn’t pay attention to, and Chaeyoung stared at her sister, looking extremely confused.

“Go to your room” was all that came out from Jeongyeon’s mouth.

Chaeyoung didn’t say a word and did as told. Namjoon looked at her with a frown… she knew that look.

What the did you do?

Jeongyeon wondered the same thing.

What the had she done? Where was Nayeon going? Was she going to be safe? Then she remembered Nayeon never spent a night alone whenever she was out, and for once ever since she knew her, Jeongyeon was thankful it was like that. Maybe the girl would cry, but she wouldn’t be alone and most importantly she’ll be safe. Hopefully.

She didn’t dare to meet Jihyo’s eyes, she knew the girl was crying, she heard it in her voice.

That night she didn’t sleep. She waited until Jihyo and Chaeyoung were asleep, grabbed some money and walked around until she finally found a someone who was willing to share his beer.

“Bad night?” the old man chuckled.

Jeongyeon didn’t answer, as soon as her lips met the bottle she drank until it was empty.

“Yah! That was- “

“Just tell me where we can find more, I invite”

----------o----------

“Are you okay?” Dahyun asked.

Chaeyoung finally looked up from her plate and looked at her friend.

“Yeah” she nodded.

“You face says otherwise”

“My face doesn’t know ”

Dahyun flinched a little. Chaeyoung noticed she wasn’t used to people swearing around her.

“You know you can talk to me, right?”

Chaeyoung stopped herself from rolling her eyes.

“I know”

“Then talk to me” Dahyun insisted.

“Aigoo, drop it already!” Chaeyoung snapped.

“O-okay, I’m sorry” Dahyun said softly.

Chaeyoung flinched at her voice.

“Unnie, I’m sorry… I’m not- I’m not okay, but I really don’t want to talk about it”

Dahyun smiled, which made Chaeyoung feel better and nodded.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it, but if you need to talk, here I am”

Chaeyoung met her eyes and smiled.

“I’m here too”

The kept on smiling until Chaeyoung’s phone vibrated. She felt her cheeks getting hotter. Dahyun raised an eyebrow.

“Who’s that?” she asked mischievously.

“No one” Chaeyoung answered innocently.

“Aha, sure”

Chaeyoung didn’t look at her and searched for her phone.

From: Mina <3

This is the last rehearsal… I don’t think I can do it

Chaeyoung’s smile faded away.

To: Mina <3

What’s wrong? Are you okay? You want me to call you?

“Everything alright?” Dahyun asked.

“Yeah… I think”

From: Mina <3

No… Just… don’t get mad tonight

Chaeyoung frowned.

To: Mina <3

I can’t get mad at you

From: Mina <3

>.< good <3 Because I didn’t plan it, it’s just dancing… I tried to tell the coach but it didn’t work… I have to practice, I’ll text you later, bye~<3

Chaeyoung frowned.

What the heck?

To: Mina <3

Okay? Good luck <3 Can’t wait to see you tonight *-*

Chaeyoung sighed, she put her phone back in her pocket and met Dahyun’s eyes.

“Alright… what was that about?” she asked with the brightest smile ever.

Chaeyoung chuckled.

“Nothing, just Mina-ssi”

Dahyun nodded.

“You’re still on for tonight, right?” Chaeyoung asked, hopefully.

Dahyun sighed.

“I- I’ve been thinking about it, I don’t- “

“Come on! Are you really going to leave me hanging here?”

Dahyun sighed once again.

“Yah, don’t say it like that…”

“You told me you’ll go with me”

“I know but…”

“Is it your dad?” Chaeyoung asked softly, making sure only Dahyun would hear it.

The girl looked at her, probably surprised Chaeyoung had brought it up, then she slowly nodded.

“Yeah… he’s… he’s been extremely strict lately, he wanted to pick me up from school but my mom stopped him, I don’t know what’s going on with him… I mean, I’ve done nothing wrong, right?”

Chaeyoung shook her head.

“I don’t think so… maybe… are you seeing someone? Or does he think you are seeing someone? Maybe he’s being overprotective, like every dad is?”

Chaeyoung was sure her face was giving away how hard it was for her to talk about this kind of things. Maybe that’s why Dahyun never mentioned it.

She knew. Dahyun knew Chaeyoung didn’t live with her parents, heck she barely remembered her parents. She didn’t know what happened to them, and she didn’t want to know either. Not yet.

Dahyun had asked her and even thought it was a sensitive topic Chaeyoung answered. She told her about not really remembering them, that she didn’t know what happened to them or if they were ever going to come back. She told her she didn’t know what having a mother or a father felt like, and when Dahyun was about to cry she told her she didn’t really mind it, she had Jeongyeon… which only made Dahyun cry more.

Dahyun chuckled and nodded.

“Yeah, you’re probably right”

Chaeyoung smiled apologetically. She didn’t know what else to say to her.

“What about you?” she asked.

Chaeyoung sighed.

She didn’t want to talk about it because, even though if Dahyun was her best friend and she didn’t judge her or started treating her differently just because she didn’t know her parents, Chaeyoung didn’t want her to know just how… different her life at home was.

Dahyun knew she lived with Jihyo and Nayeon too, she didn’t mind her knowing that, but she didn’t really want anybody to know about the details. Specially Dahyun.

The girl was a good person, extremely kind and generous, but her lifestyle was completely different.

Would she be able to understand that Jeongyeon and Nayeon fought the other night and Jihyo haven’t been sleeping since because Nayeon hasn’t come back yet? Would she be able to understand why she didn’t want to go back home to find her sister drinking? Would she be able to understand she needed to see Mina tonight, because she felt like people around her were slowly falling and she didn’t know what to do, and she needed to see her because it was the only one who could cheer her up. She needed to see Mina, to hug her, to talk to her, to just be with her.

Would Dahyun be able to understand how lonely she was feeling? Maybe not, because it didn’t make any sense, she wasn’t alone, she had Dahyun and Somi… But Somi had another group of friends, and Dahyun was way too scared of the world and being realistic, she wouldn’t be able to advise her. She wouldn’t know how to.

When she got home the other night she didn’t tell Mina anything. She didn’t want to. She thought it was probably one of the usual fights Jeongyeon and Nayeon had once in a while… but turned out it wasn’t like that and it was killing her.

Jihyo, who was usually the happy soul and peacemaker in the house, had spent every single night sleeping on the sofa, not wanting to leave in case Nayeon finally came back… Chaeyoung didn’t want to tell her she had seen Nayeon’s keys on their night table, she didn’t have the courage to break the girl’s hopeful thoughts.

Chaeyoung didn’t know what to do… She told Namjoon, he said he’ll talk to Jeongyeon, but days had gone by and nothing changed. She was starting to lose hopes, and Nayeon not coming back or giving any sign of life was making a number on her as well.

Nayeon was a mix of older sister and older friend, she was either scolding her or spoiling her, either laughing with her or helping her hide things from Jeongyeon… Like that time, she sprayed the bathroom’s doors. The headmaster didn’t really like his caricature.

“I’m fine unnie, don’t worry… Just… we’ll go to the competition today, right?” she asked, eyes begging for her to say yes.

Dahyun didn’t smile, she actually looked worried. She nodded.

“Yeah”

----------o----------

“Unnie?!” Jihyo yelled hopefully when she heard the door opening.

“Walk inside, go take a bath!” Namjoon’s voice yelled.

Jihyo’s heart sank for the third time this week.

She saw how Namjoon pushed Jeongyeon inside.

“Go on, go to the bathroom!” He ordered.

“Jihyo-yah” Seokjin’s voice said softly as he sat next to her and wrapped his arms around her.

She didn’t push him away, she didn’t want to. It had been days since she needed a hug. She hugged him back and without even noticing started crying.

“Shh, it’s okay” he cooed her.

“Oppa, she’s still not here” she cried.

“I know sweetie, but don’t worry, she’ll be back”

“Yah~!” Jihyo heard Jeongyeon whining “I- I am not a bag, Kim Namjoonie!”

It didn’t take a genius to notice how drunk Jeongyeon was but that didn’t’ stop Jihyo from being shocked. She knew Jeongyeon liked having a beer or two once in a while, she knew she had been drinking this week too… But this was on another level.

“Geez, get your drunk in the shower please!” Namjoon begged.

Jeongyeon giggled before disappearing.

Namjoon sighed in frustration.

“Man, Chaeyoung-ah wasn’t exaggerating”

“I told you, we should have come earlier” Seokjin said with a bit of anger.

“Hyung, not now, how would I have known it wasn’t just another dumb fight!”

“Don’t yell” Seokjin scolded, holding Jihyo even tighter.

Maybe Namjoon noticed because he apologized and moved closer to her.

“Jihyo-yah” he said softly.

Jihyo didn’t answer but looked at him. He smiled at her, maybe trying to comfort her.

“Nayeon’s going to be back, don’t worry”

“Why are you so sure?” She murmured.

Namjoon seemed to have an internal fight before answering.

“I saw her last night walking with someone, I saw her with the same dude the other day… She’s probably just angry and doesn’t want to come back just yet, but she’s okay, trust me”

Jihyo didn’t know what got over her, she sat up, pushed Seokjin away and slapped the crap out of Namjoon.

“Ouch! Yah! What the- hyung, stop her!” Namjoon whined.

“Why didn’t you tell us earlier?!”

Seokjin started laughing.

“Hyung!”

“Yah, Jihyo-yah, how about you keep on hitting him at our place?” He asked, still laughing.

Jihyo looked at him.

“Maybe a change of environment will be good for you” he smiled.

Jihyo thought about it. She really didn’t want to leave… What if Nayeon finally came back?

“Come on, we’ll pick up Chaeyoung from school together… and you won’t have to deal with our drunken friend over there” he nodded towards the rooms.

Jihyo and Namjoon turned to look and found Jeongyeon wrapped around a towel, ready to take a bath.

“Don’t stand there! Go clean yourself up!”

Jeongy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter