Chapter 8

A Taste of Life

A Markjin fiction
a chaptered fan fic
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Yugyeom, what would you want to do today?" Mark asked, barging in Yugyeom's room who was still on bed, wrapped around a duvet.

Yugyeom grumbled at the sudden presence of a person, he squinted his eyes and spotted Mark leaning against the door with nothing on but his grey sweatpants, "Hyung" he whined, "put some clothes on."

"Dude, it's hot" Mark replied, scratching his back in habit, "Now tell what you want to do today."

"Mark, I'm here!" someone called Mark from downstairs which jolted Yugyeom up, making him sit up from the familiar voice.

"Was that Youngjae hyung?" Yugyeom grinned, jumping out from his bed and dashed downstairs to see for himself that it was actually Youngjae.

Mark growled from the early ruckus, he tousled his already dishelved blonde locks and followed Yugyeom to meet Youngjae.

"Youngjae hyung!?"

Youngjae turned around and saw a full grown, adult, Yugyeom before his two eyes. He gasped and was left speechless for a few seconds, "Y-Yugyeom!? Is that you? W-why are you here?!"

"Hyung!" Yugyeom dashed towards Youngjae and tackled him with a big, warm hug, "Hyung I missed you so much!"

Youngjae smiled against Yugyeom's warm hug and after they had enough of the moment they broke the hug and Youngjae just couldn't help but compliment Yugyeom's new self, "You lost all those baby fats and look how tall you are, oh my goodness."

Mark walked towards them and poked Youngjae hard on the shoulder, "I told you to ring the doorbell."

"I know the passcode, hyung. It's useless to ring the doorbell when you wouldn't even answer" Youngjae huffed and went back talking to Yugyeom.

"How? Why are you here?"

"I had a business meeting at New York and Mark told me to spend a week here in California"

Youngjae glared over at Mark, "And you didn't even inform me?"

Mark shrugged, tucking his hands in his sweatpants pocket, "You would still know even if I wouldn't tell you", Mark patted his washboard abs as also one of his habits, "What do you guys want to do?"

"First of all, you need to put on some clothes" Youngjae suggested, giving Mark a weird look, "No one's going to fall for you here. We are both straight."

Mark gasped, offended at Youngjae's answer, "It's hot!" he exclaimed, "California is a hot place to live plus this is my home, I can do whatever I want here."

"I want to go to the beach!" Yugyeom grinned, he haven't been to the beach for a while now since he was occupied with work and a ton of works."

 

"Is it seriously necessary to bring a watermelon over the beach?" Mark asked, carrying a cooler and an umbrella on each arm, walking on the shore following Yugyeom to wherever they'll be settling at. 

Yugyeom hugged the hard watermelon and nodded, without looking at Mark, "Beach is equals to watermelon. They go along together."

Mark scoffed yet said nothing, getting tired of moving his jaw or even talk, he doesn't even mutter a single word till he gets his energy back and is eager to talk again. A lazy talker is what Mark is.

"Seems like it's a good weather today" Youngjae breathed in the salty air of the beach, chips and blankets on both hand, also following Yugyeom's lead to nowhere.

Feeling like he had the energy to talk again, Mark stated matter-of-factly, "California always has a good weather."

Finally finding a good spot to chill, Yugyeom settled his watermelon, making the said fruit as some kind of a sign of 'It's our territory'. 

Mark settled the cooler then opened the umbrella, Youngjae followed and settled the things he had and flopped himself on the blanket beneath him. 

"Why don't you take your shirt off, Youngjae? You honestly need some tanning" Yugyeom suggested, lifting his shirt off of him and threw it beside where Youngjae had seated. 

Youngjae scoffed, "Look who's talking. You're much paler than me. You need a lot of tan than me, maknae."

"Why don't you kids have fun and i'll just stay here" Mark rested on the other blanket, only on beach short and both hands on the back of his head.

Yugyeom took his phone and snapped a couple of shots around the beach then focused his camera lense on both men, "Smile!" Yugyeom chimed, but before Mark and Youngjae looked at him in confusion, he had already snapped a photo of them. 

"Gees. Yugyeom. You need to pay for those photos" Mark jokingly stated.

 Mark took out his phone and started typing out words in Korean. Crap. Mark hadn't been writing the korean alphabet for a year now and both speaking and writing had been rusty for him. He heaved a long sigh, continuing to type in Korean. Who cares about grammatical errors and misspelled words as long as the context and the message of it is clear.

Yugyeom looked at him in disbelief, "Really? Business at the beach?"

Mark eyes him from his phone, "I'm just texting. Nothing big. I'll be having fun with you, just give me a minute" Mark scrunched his face looking and back reading the words on his phone screen. His Korean indeed.

 

"We've beed to several stores now, Bambam. And these stores are going to close soon" Jinyoung growled, dragging his feet following Bambam who was asking for Jinyoung's help to choose a great coat for him.

"Last store, hyung. I swear! I'll treat FroYo after this" Bambam then scanned the racks of monochromic coats inside the store, leaving Jinyoung seated at the corner of the store, massaging his worn out calves. 

"Hyung! This or this?" Bambam lifted both coats in the shade of Black and the one on his left, Grey. Both having the same pattern just differentiating in shade.

Jinyoung pointed at the grey coat yet Bambam was having second thoughts, unsure, "But the grey might get stained and it'll be clear whereas the black-"

"Then how about the black?" Jinyoung grunted, Bambam clearly doesn't need him here. It's pretty obvious Bambam doesn't even listen to his choices and both men do have opposite tastes. 

Finally purchasing the coat, Jinyoung stood and stretched from his seat feeling relieved and fully awake, "That took you about four hours, Bam. Unbelievable.

Bambam just skipped innocently at him, grabbing his arm around his arm, "FroYo time" Bambam beamed.

 

"Nice coat, though. Where'd you buy it?" Bambam asked, shoving a spoonful of frozen yogurt in his mouth, humming happily at the taste of the flavor.

Jinyoung froze at the question, he doesn't want to tell the truth because words might spread out so does rumors. He did what he had to do, lie. "At the mall. Duh."

"Are you going home or are you still going to hang around me because I'm positive that I'm going home."

"Ever since you got married, you get even more boring" Bambam sighed out loud, shoving both hands inside his coat pockets then looked at Jinyoung with a pout plastered on his face.

Jinyoung raised his eyebrow in confusion, "But I've been boring my whole life."

Bambam shook his head, "No. You were fun at some point in your life", facing Jinyoung and nodded, telling him that he said was the truth.

"At what point of my life?"

"Y-you know. That point in your life w-where your life was fun" he gave him a distorted smile, scratching his nape, a sign that he was either nervous or awkward.

"Whatever, Bam."

 

Jinyoung got to his unit earlier than expected, taking his blue coat off and settled it on the couch's backrest also placing a small, white envelope on the table where the receptionist handed to him from the same admirer. He made himself tea before settling back on the couch, crossed his leg, a tea cup on the other hand and an opened envelope on the other. He took the content out and there appeared a letter inside the envelope. A handwritten letter but the letter were well-written with perfect set of , probably written by a person who is good at calligraphy.

He started reading the letter while taking a sip on his tea:

 

How was your day? I hope you had a warm day on a cold, winter season. You may not know who had written this letter but you know me and I know you. I'm telling you now that the present won't be going in for so long, I am ending this with three more presents soon that may be so personal. Here's the deal, if you can guess of who I might be just call, tell the sender and deliver a message to me. If you want to eagerly meet me then just do that. I am an east person to make a deal with. As long as you're 100% of who I am. If you're conflicted on doing it then don't bother.

Sincerely from your admirer.

 

PS: I can't wait to see you, Mr. Park.

 

Jinyoung stared at the letter for a long moment before exhaling a long breath, he blinked a couple of times and settled the tea cup on the table before him. He felt his chest tighten, he had no clue why. Was it maybe because the present won't be forever? Was it because he is nervous meeting the admirer? or nervous about taking a hint as to who the person is.

Uncrossing his legs and settled deeper into the couch, hugging his knees and resting his forehead over his knees. He took another shaky breath, "Who are you?" he whispered to no one. He had no idea why he was acting like this. That person actually made him nervous, the person felt so firm and straightforward that he was afraid of meeting the person, no, he wasn't afraid. More like nervous yet anticipating for those three personal presents to come his way. He wanted it to come fast yet he doesn't want to because the present would stop appearing on the front desk, he won't be able to look forward for anything every day. He is not materialistic, he never was but the meaning behind the presents were the one he would always look forward to. The book and the poems and the flowers, the coat and the letter.

Hearing the door unlock, Jinyoung quickly placed the letter back inside the envelope and placed it inside the back pocket of his jeans.

"Oh! Welcome home" Jinyoung exclaimed, trying to act surprised. He shot up and gave Jaebum a quick peck on the lips, "How was choreography class?"

"One word. Intense." Jaebum combes his already dishelved hair, "Jackson had all these ideas so we worked it out."

"You must be really tired"

Jaebum nodded and satisfyingly stretched and made a weird noise like a combination of yelling and shouting. He made his way towards the kitchen, making coffee to stay up all night since he had to work on the routines and jot down some of his ideas too.

"You're staying up all night?" Jinyoung leaned on the counter, hands inside his pocket feeling the envelope's existence and reassuring it hadn't have fallen on to floor.

Jaebum hummer before sipping on his hot coffee from his favorite mug that had a photo of a cat, "I won't disrupt your sleep, don't worry" he softly smiled.

"Say" Jinyoung crossed his arms, rubbing his arms showing a sign of uncomfortableness, "Bambam told me I'm becoming more boring" he pouted. 

Jaebum almost spit back his coffee on his mug but he forcefully tried to swallow it, "You are boring. Don't tell me you didn't know that" Jaebum snickered, settling the mug on the counter and dragged his feet towards Jinyoung. 

"I know" Jinyoung huffed, watching Jaebum walk towards him.

"But you're also fun. A different kind of fun. Not a fun like Jackson, like a special kind fun" Jaebum lowered his voice in a masculine tone, resting his hand on Jinyoung's waist.

Jinyoung gave Jaebum a confused look, raising his eyebrows, "Special kind of fun?"

Jaebum nodded, smiling at Jinyoung, "Like your presence itself already makes one jump on his feet in excitement and anticipation because you're that kind of person."

Jinyoung giggled at the way Jaebum expressed his words, covering his mouth while laughing, exposing his eye crinkles like a kitten.

Jaebum stared at him for a long time and softly said, "Trust me. You're fun. Bambam is just... just another type of fun. In another category maybe existing in Mars" Jaebum snickered at his own lame joke and Jinyoung did the same.

"Oh yeah!" Jaebum perched up like he thought of something he had forgotten, Jinyoung looked at him telling him he's all ears on Jaebum, "Any presents today?" 

The question instantly made Jinyoung freeze on his spot, he had no idea what to say plus he haven't thought about Jaebum asking any relations of the presents. Jinyoung is a horrible liar and a little stutter would directly mean he is lying, people knew that, Jaebum knew he at lying so he eyed him, expecting him to tell the truth like everything else whenever Jaebum asks something. Jinyoung indeed at lying but he is good at convincing Jaebum, so will he take advantage of his talent and convince Jaebum there was none today?

So Jinyoung shook his head, not eyeing Jaebum or else his eyes will speak of different meaning, Jaebum then pouted in confusion because that's unlikely unless the admirer suddenly decided to drop everything.

Jaebum gave him that look of confusion and that was the hint that Jinyoung had to answer, he nonchalantly shrugged his shoulders and gave him a quick 'i don't know'. Jaebum slowly nodded, if he didn't believe Jinyoung he didn't make it obvious and let it slide, open minded about the possibilities.

"I'm just gonna go shower" Jinyoung softly said, shoving his hands down his back pocket checking if the letter was still there, sensing its existence he held on to it tighter and fast walked towards their room, leaving Jaebum on the counter thinking about a lot of things. 
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: decided to update now that our connection is back and i'm feeling bad for myself. has been a rough ride with family and school and of course with my never-ending problems but hey i hope you all had fun reading this. comment below and if you want to talk just @ me on twitter, username is morituan. and thank you guys for the condolences (: i hope this fic wasnt too boring for you.