Chapter 6

A Taste of Life

A Markjin fiction
a chaptered fan fic
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“It really is an honour for you to be here Mr Kim Yugyeom. It must be really tiring flying from South Korea to New York. We are truly grateful” Mr Smith, the Executive Producer of the biggest publishing firm in New York, Penguin Random House, thanked Yugyeom, shaking their hands in courtesy.

“Thank you for having me here, Mr Smith” Yugyeom smiled and bowed as a sign of respect.

The press conference and a board meeting was finally done after several stressful hours.

“Will you be flying back to South Korea after this, Mr Kim?” Chelsea, Yugyeom’s guide, asked him.

“I’ll be traveling to California to meet a close friend” Yugyeom smiled at the thought of finally meeting Mark after five years.

“I’ll have you car ready then” Chelsea excused herself to call Yugyeom’s driver.

Yugyeom’s hand phone rang in which he answered in a matter of seconds, “Yes, hyung” greeting Mark over the other line.

“I’m waiting here at the airport. I’m expecting you in six hours or so” Mark simply said, words with emotions.

“I’m already on my way to the airport. See you” Yugyeom ended the call and entered the Mercedes Benz he was ushered in to.

After six hours of non-stop flight, Yugyeom finally arrived in California. The tropical side of UUSA. He breathed in the new set of air and headed to claim his baggage. Yugyeom changed his tuxedo to one of his casual clothes, a plain white shirt, denim pants and a pair of sneakers.

He was browsing the crowd, looking for a specific blonde head. He finally spotted him, leaning against one of the pillars of the airport waiting obviously for Yugyeom. Yugyeom couldn’t keep a straight face on and dashed his way to Mark’s direction, pulling his luggage with him.

“Mark hyung!” Yugyeom excitedly shouted, earning judging stares towards him.

Mark pushed himself up and looked towards Yugyeom’s way, he grinned; showing his attractive canines, “Yugyeom! Look how tall you are” speaking in a rusty Korean.

“! Look how attractive you are!” Yugyeom exclaimed, “If I wasn’t straight, I’d totally go gay on you.”

Mark just snickered, he had his hair up exposing his attractive horsehead, sporting a pair of Chanel sunglass, a plain back dress shirt, ripped black jeans and a pair of black Yeezy’s.

“You must have waited for so long”

“It’s alright. I was over at a café doing business as usual” Mark said, “Let’s go grab something to eat first.”

“In n Out?” Yugyeom exclaimed which Mark nodded back, “In n Out it is.”

 

“Their burgers here are so delicious, seriously” Yugyeom said, simultaneously chewing on his burger and cheese fries, “Better than those burgers we have back in Korea.”

Mark smiled at Yugyeom, sinking in the reality that he finally met Yugyeom again for whole five years, he didn’t expect he’s see him again. Munching on his fries, he gazed happily at Yugyeom who basically is a younger brother to him. A lot of people would call them “Tuan Brothers” since they hang out and play games together, Yugyeom would always crash at his place.

“How have you been?” Mark started the conversation, dipping his fries repetitively on the melted cheese.

“My life is much buried with work but I hang out with Bambam after work” he smiled, “He kept bragging about the Thom Browne you gave him.”

Mark snickered, picturing Bambam strutting his new shoes and bag on work; brushing the non-existent dirt from time to time. As expected of his fashion obsessed friend.

“He never stopped bugging me with it but I’m not complaining, rather than getting annoyed I’m glad I made him happy.”

Yugyeom’s eyes widened at Mark’s changed personality, the Mark he knew usually never cared about people’s needs and feelings but the Mark now, the changed CEO Mark, the 26 year-old Mark has changed in to someone who is humble and caring.

“Hyung, you’ve changed a lot” Yugyeom gasped, earning a questioned look from Mark.

“Physically? Because yeah, of course. I’m growing.”

Yugyeom shook his head, “No, your personality changed from a uncaring Mark to a caring Mark.”

Mark softened, “Time changes people and so do experience.”

Yugyeom sensed it had something to do with the incident years back, “I’m glad you have moved on, hyung. You deserve someone who loves you and I hope you’d find that person pretty soon.”

Mark rested his elbow over the table with a warm expression, staring at Yugyeom, “I never said I’ve moved on, Gyeom.”

Yugyeom was dumbfounded, he was left speechless with a dozen questions inside his head. Why haven’t he had moved on? Do he still love Jinyoung? Why? How? What?

“You must have a lot of questions running inside your head.”

Yugyeom nodded, “So, you still love him? Why?”

Mark hummed, thinking of a way to verbalize his feelings, “You can’t tell your heart to stop loving someone. You may convince yourself to move on but they will and forever remain in your heart.”

He continued, “There was this quote Youngjae kept saying to me” he chuckled, “It sounds ridiculous but undeniably true. It goes ‘When you love someone, it’s never over. You move on, because you have to but you take them with you in your heart’.”

“He also know?”

Mark nodded, “I have him to talk about my worries. Don’t tell Jackson, though. He might get jealous.” He playfully smiled.

“Why don’t we get out of here and let’s go to my house? Let’s continue talking over some wine and expensive .”

The pair stood up and drove their way to Mark’s home.

 

“Yugyeom must have the greatest day of his life over in California” Bambam grunted, flopping himself on one of Jackson’s bean bag sprawled on the floor.

“Don’t even remind me, Bam” Jackson said, munching on his ‘organic’ chips.

“Do you think Yugyeom and Mark have already met by now?” Bambam asked, looking over his shoulder to see Jackson.

Jackson hummed then nodded, “They must be catching up on things by now.”

“Say, hyung” Bambam spun around to talk to Jackson face to face, “What the hell is Jinyoung’s problem?”

“What kind of problem?”

“Y’know... with... Mark”

Jackson placed his chips over the table and crossed his short legs, “I’m honestly confused of him”, he continued, “But I’m thinking that he is finally honest to himself and someday find a closer between him and Mark.”

“So it’s true, right? Jinyoung still have feelings for Mark”

Jackson nodded, “Jaebum would really have a hard time if he knows about it.”

“There’s nothing to lose. They’re practically married and that’s hard to break.”

“Jaebum came a long way and he finally gets to marry the guy he loves. He wouldn’t risk losing him again.”

Bambam perked up, quoting Jackson “’J Jaebum came a long way and he finally gets to marry the guy he loves. He wouldn’t risk losing him again’?” giving Jackson a questioned look, “What do you mean by that?”

“Wait. You didn’t know?”

Bambam shook his head, “Know what?”

Secrets are pouring at this time of the night, things are finally being revealed.

“Even before Mark and Jinyoung started dating, Jaebum had already liked Jinyoung. But he was too scared to ask Jinyoung out, he was afraid that their friendship will break.”

Bambam became dumbstruck. Why did he know of this just now? He was left speechless and all he can hear are statics. His circle of friends are crazier than he thought.

“When did you know all of this?”

“Second year. From Mark”

“What?! Wait What?! From Mark? Mark knew?” Bambam exclaimed in great shock, feeling like a bomb he was about to go off in seconds. The tension in the room is become more and more suffocating.

“I was shocked myself hearing about it, too. Jaebum, I and Jinyoung have been friends since pre-school and I get to hear it from Mark who seemed so sad when he talked to me.”

“Did Jinyoung have feelings for Jaebum?”

“Before everything else?” Jackson shook his head, “No. He was head over heels over Mark, he loved him so much and I could see it in his eyes; how happy he was.”

“Jaebum told Mark knowing that who he is talking to is dating the one he liked?”

Jackson nodded, “Jaebum drunk talked and Mark happened to be his drinking buddy.”

“How did Mark take it?”

“Like I told you, he came to me really sad that he was probably getting in Jinyoung and Jaebum’s way.”

“This is too much to process” Bambam exclaimed, feeling like he wasn’t breathing the entire time, “I’ll honestly start bawling if we continue talking about the past.”

Jackson also heaved a deep, heavy sigh, frowning upon the flashback in his head. Fresh memories like it just happened seconds ago. Everyone had it rough and no one is to blame from what happened.

“I have to be honest. Mark and Jinyoung were the iconic IT couple and back then I was really happy for them. But happy ending isn’t for everyone” Bambam fell silent, biting the skin of his lips.

“The three of them need closure and someday everything will be just like college” Jackson said in a hopeful tone.

“I’m feeling so sad with all these revelations” Bambam said.

“Why don’t I drive you home?” Jackson suggested, earning a sad smile from Bambam.

“I still also have to choreograph a class tomorrow” Jackson grunted.

 

“Why don’t you make yourself at home” Mark said, putting on some household slippers and switching on all the lights, revealing a clean, spotless interior. White, Black and Grey, the house screams Mark from the designs and the minimalism.

Wide plasma screen in front of a large, black leather couch and a glass table before the couch, ashtray over the table with several cigarette butts on the tray.

“You still smoke?” Yugyeom asked, worried.

“I smoke when I get anxious” Mark looked at the ashtray, seeing several cigarette butts, “And seeing from the ashtray, I get anxious a lot.”

“Please take care of yourself, hyung” Yugyeom eyed Mark who was walking his way to what looks like a kitchen.

‘Thanks Gyeom” Mark smiled, grabbing a glass of water and drank from it, “How’s work?”

“Boring but at least we get paid” Yugyeom chuckled, settling himself on the chair by the kitchen island.

“Do you get to hang out with the boys a lot?”

Yugyeom nodded, “Yeah. From time to time when we have free time.”

“That’s great. I don’t get to go out more often. Work, work, work, blind date and a few hours of sleep. I feel like a ing robot.”

“Blind date? You have to do that every day?”

“My father usually does everything in that category. I have no reason to oppose.”

“Y’know, hyung. You could at least look for someone by yourself and not from your father’s plans”

“I’m busy with all that. But let’s see what I can do” Mark softly smiled.

“So, are you okay with Jackson now? He sounded like a sulky girlfriend when we were talking to him” Yugyeom snickered.

Mark rolled his eyes, thinking of Jackson, “He’s unbelievable. But I’m thankful for him, he keeps me updated about things over there, you know.”

“He does?” Yugyeom widen his eyes, “He’s amazing.”

Mark nodded, “Jackson’s the anchor of the team. Maybe without him, each and every one of us will be separated and not talking. There’s a lot of things I am thankful of and he is on top of that list.

“So he also reported to you all about the marriage?” The words slipped from Yugyeom’s tongue. Realizing what he had done, Yugyeom flicked his lips in regret, “I’m sorry. It slipped.”

Mark chuckled, ruffling Yugyeom’s hair, “Why are you sorry? You didn’t do anything.”

“Obviously I was shocked, surprised, speechless, all those words. Heartbroken? Yes. I was moping around for almost three weeks. Then Youngjae talked to me and brought me back to reality. I don’t want to admit it but I cried, of course, who wouldn’t, right?”

“Why didn’t you come back? This may sound horrible but the rest of us especially Bambam were expecting you to bust through the church door like any typical cliché drama and sweep Jinyoung off of his feet.”

Mark chuckled, “You really thought so?” earning a nod from Yugyeom.

“Dude, it was too late. Everything was too late and that ended, that right there ended my story with Jinyoung” Mark leaned over the island, facing Yugyeom, “That was my last story with Jinyoung.”

“We rooted for you both. The epic couple on campus and truthfully it was.”

“It was” Mark emphasized, “Maybe I wasn’t connected to Jinyoung’s red string of fate.”

“If you do still love him like you said a while ago then you should show it and tell him.”

“I’m showing bits and bits of my love for him but that’s it. It’s risky to come back to South Korea and tell him all the things, all the feelings stored in my heart for a long time.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“By what?”

“’Showing bits and bits of my love for him’?” Yugyeom quoted.

“The presents? The bouquet? Book? Chocolates?” Mark said, handing clues to Yugyeom.

Yugyeom’s eyed widened in realization, “! You were the admirer all along?!”

Mark snickered, “Admirer? Is that what you call me?”

“I’m serious, hyung! We didn’t know it was you”

“Of course you didn’t know. It’s well seen from you face” Mark giggled, “I didn’t intend it to be anonymous. The lavender bouquet was one hint, and that chocolate and especially the book!”

“Why weren’t there any return address then?”

“I just don’t want him to reply. Because 1.) It might only get lost from my piles of emails, letters, and papers, 2.) I don’t want him to waste his time on me and 3.) I might lose control of myself and have the urge to come back to Korea.”

“Did Jackson know?”

“I think he had the idea but I don’t know if he got the idea. He is kind of dumb” Mark shrugged, “Oh yeah, you’re sleeping here, right?”

Yugyeom nodded and said, “I better have my own room.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: ((dont hate me for this chapter)) i came back with a lot of revelations of the past and finally revealing who the admirer is (i mean it was so obvious who it was from the start).y'all finally get to meet Mark, finally! I really had fun writing this chapter because who doesnt like past revelations and truths revealed. jaebum also like jinyoung from the very start, how will this story progress? am i on the side of the law or am i not? lmao. its already 4am in my country and my eyes are heavy. yall know the drill, comment below. rant complain cry.