Chapter 4

A Taste of Life

A Markjin fiction
a chaptered fan fic
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Bambam greeted them good morning, skipping and twirling his way to the office; sporting his new dress shoes and his business bag. Slinging it over his shoulder, obviously for everyone to see; lowkey bragging.

“Look who’s in a good mood today” Jinyoung leaned back on his leather seat, sipping his Americano.

“I’m always in a good mood, Jinyoung” Bambam smiled, placing his right foot over his chair to brush off the non-existent dirt.

“’Jinyoung’?” Jinyoung quoted, expression in disbelief since Bambam was much younger than him. He continued, “I swear, if you address me casually, I would have to dip that new shoes to a white paint.”

Bambam shot both his arms up in surrender, “I’m sorry, Jinyoung hyung” which earned a smile from Jinyoung; proceeding back to his work.

“Bambam, send these off to Mr Song for submission” Jinyoung said, pointing towards the pile of papers before him.

“Yes sir” Bambam shot up and grabbed the pile of papers on both arms, went out the office.

Yugyeom passed by Jinyoung’s office but after seeing Jinyoung inside, he decided to chill for a while inside his office.

‘Hey, hyung!” Yugyeom greeted, sitting in front of Jinyoung’s table. Jinyoung looked up, seeing Yugyeom and nodded in reply.

“Are you busy?” Yugyeom started a casual conversation.

“Nope. I actually finished half the week’s work yesterday. I have at least two days to maybe get lazy around.”

“Good for you” Yugyeom grunted, “I have to go fly off to US tomorrow” he pouted, resting his elbows over Jinyoung’s desk.

“USA? Is that about the meeting?”

Yugyeom nodded in reply, looking tired and seemed he had only two hours of leep just by looking at the dark rim around his eyes.

“At least you get to have a break from Korea and to breathe a different kind of air” Jinyoung snickered, averting all his attention to Yugyeom.

Jinyoung wanted to talk openly about Mark, he have to get used to it now; to prove himself that he had finally moved on from him, so he took an amount of courage and asked Yugyeom, “Will you be meeting him after your schedule?”

“Him” Yugyeom’s ear perked up, wondering if both Jinyoung and him are both on the same boat.

“Yes, him. Mark” Jinyoung felt his hands sweat and shake, heartbeat faster than a regular heartbeat, feeling like his throat was about to crack because of how dry his throat felt; he was nervous.

“Yes!” Yugyeom’s smile grew in to a grin, “He actually cleared his schedule to spend it with me. Still wreck-less as ever.”

Mark was like Yugyeom’s brother, he cared for him and Yugyeom often spend his days over at Mark’s apartment; playing video games or just sleep. He stays at his apartment more than in his own home. Mark was always the laid back one in their circle of friends, Jaebum was pretty laidback but Mark was rather chill since he grew up in the States. Mark usually helps him with English Literature and Math; Mark was smart, he was just lazy. “I don’t want to spend all my life burying myself in books” Mark once said thar. He may be one of the oldest but he never acted like one, he plays around, drinks alcohol, smokes, and party. Mark Tuan’s an interesting guy.

“Submitted the papers and ” Bambam busted through the door and started dabbing aggressively.

“Aye buddy!” Yugyeom stood up and greeted hi ‘buddy’.

“The you doing here?” Bambam playfully shoved Yugyeom’s shoulder.

“Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you that I’ll be in New York for the rest of the week, booooi!” Yugyeom said, making Bambam jealous.

“Are you meeting Mark hyung after?” Bambam’s eyes widen; curious.

“Yeah! Cancelled his schedule for me” he bragged, nudging Bambam several times.

“Darn it! Boi you better buy some souvenir” Bambam pouted, clearly envious over Yugyeom.

“Sure! Mark hyung might probably buy me my own Thom Browne or even better, YSL boi! Chanel boi!”

Jinyoung was just staring eagerly at their exchange, fighting over what Mark would give them. He bet Mark would spoil them things they couldn’t afford.

Bambam’s phone over the desk suddenly shrilled, startling Jinyoung in his trance; placing his hand over his chest to calm himself.

“Sorry, hyung” Bambam said, dashing his way to answer his phone.

“Hyung?” Bambam answered his phone, talking to the person over the line.

Hyung’ Jinyoung thought, he slightly expected it to be the guy he is thinking of right now.

“Youngjae, hyung. What’s up?” Bambam’s smile grew, excited about Youngjae finally being over the phone, since he was too busy. Probably busier than Mark because Youngjae was the most hardworking amongst them and well, he loves to keep himself busy. As to Mark who hate overworking himself, but maybe, just maybe Mark is a changed man.

Jinyoung was let down. It wasn’t the person he expected.

“Put him on speaker” Yugyeom said, Bambam willingly did.

“Oh!” It fell quiet for a few seconds before Youngjae went back and spoke, “Has Jackson been answering his phone for the past week?”

“He has. We were just about to have lunch together” Bambam replied, earning a weird look from both Yugyeom and Jinyoung.

“Really? He hasn’t been answering Mark’s call” Youngjae whined, and is probably stomping his feet in frustration over the other line.

“Why?” Yugyeom asked.

“Well, Jackson wanted Mark to visit there, in South Korea but he refused. He is really busy with work right now and he is not having enough time to sleep” Youngjae replied, sounding concerned and worried; you can’t help but frown over the tone of his voice.

“We’ll make Jackson understand. He usually throws fit all around and sulk around” Bambam replied, sounding serious and responsible. That’s something new.

“Please. Mark’s growing irritated about Jackson’s childish tactics” Youngjae softly said, seemed like he was whispering, maybe avoiding other office workers to hear the conversation, Youngjae continued “And he –“

He suddenly got cut off. Bambam, Yugyeom and Jinyoung eyed weirdly at each other, curious of the sudden cut of conversation.

Jinyoung’s world had come to a stop, frozen on his seat when a deep, stern voice suddenly spoke over the line. “Tell Jackson if he don’t answer my call, I’m seriously fly my way to South Korean and punch the daylight out of him.”

“See? He is angry” the voice suddenly went back to the soft, husky Youngjae.

“Is Mark hyung there?” Yugyeom asked.

“He was just passing by. He is on his way to another blind date. His father is going hard with all these dates, it’s the fifth time this week” Youngjae said.

Bambam cautiously eyed Jinyoung. He was just there, sitting sternly on his seat and listening to Youngjae’s words.

Second time. It was the second time Jinyoung’s world froze, stopped, and he didn’t know why. He clearly had moved one. It’s like a mantra inside his head ‘I have moved on’. Jinyoung came to a conclusion that he was surprised, surprised that he finally heard Mark’s voice after five years, surprised that Mark still wasn’t married. Surprised that Mark’s currently on a date.

“Please tell Jackson, okay? I need to go now since I have to pack my things and go home. It’s getting late” with Youngjae’s final words of this day, the call had disconnected.

“Want us to crash to your place tonight?” Bambam asked, smiling towards Jinyoung’s way.

Yugyeom raised his hands, declining the idea since he’ll be packing for tomorrow night’s trip to the other side of the world.

“Maybe next time, Bam.” Jinyoung replied.

“How about joining us for lunch today?” Bambam beamed, wanting to at least talk to his friends casually over lunch.

“Does Jackson mind, though? We might ruin your date” Yugyeom teased hi, and acting like he vomiting earning a laugh from Jinyoung.

Bambam furious at Yugyeom’s comment said, “J-just join us for lunch”, puffing on his seat, ignoring Jinyoung and Yugyeom’s teasing remarks.

 

“I have been waiting for five minutes!” Jackson exclaimed, standing when Bambam approached him, he paused when he saw two familiar guys.

“What the hell dude. What are you doing here?” Jackson asked, eyebrows knitted together.

“We were invited. You ain’t got no choice” Jinyoung pulled out his tongue, teasing Jackson. Jinyoung sat beside Bambam who was in front of Jackson and Yugyeom settling beside Jackson.

“Anyway, we actually have something to talk about and it involves your childish attitude” Bambam said, now it seemed like he’s the older one between him and Jackson.

Jackson was clueless, looking back at Bambam, Yugyeom and Jinyoung, “What’d I do?”

“Mark is pissed at you. Why won’t you just answer his calls?” Bambam said, tousling his hair out of frustration.

Finally getting the idea of the matter, Jackson slumped on his seat, crossing his arms over his chest, “I just want to spend a time together with him and us!” he said, pointing over the three of his friends, telling them they were also part of his wish to spend time with Mark.

“He is busy. A lot busy than all of us. He practically runs a corporation now, remember?”  Yugyeom said, knocking some sense on Jackson.

Jackson rested his gaze on Jinyoung, a gaze Jinyoung wants to avoid yet couldn’t do so, he exhaled and eyed Jackson, “What?”

“Don’t you want to see Mark?” Jackson pleadingly asked.

“Jackson, they’re right. He is busy than all of us, he is a CEO now, not like the old Mark you used to know who skips class when told to or when he felt like it. He has a job and people are looking up to him, expecting him to succeed.”

“I’ll talk to Mark hyung. Maybe someday he’ll come back here for a day or a vacation. If that’ll make you at least happy and answer his calls” Yugyeom suggested, solving problems like he usually does.

“Jesus Christ” Bambam exclaimed, “You sound like Mark’s sulky girlfriend. Call him tonight and tell him how you feel and close the case. Move one.”

Jackson stuck his tongue out at Bambam, now he’s back to the old Jackson they know.

“Jinyoung. I’m asking for the truth and you have to tell me the truth, okay?” Jackson asked, Jinyoung couldn’t back out now and he knew what Jackson was going to ask.

“Don’t you want to see Mark again?”

The atmosphere was tight, seemingly hard to breathe and it made Jinyoung’s palm sweat; wiping it on his slack. It was a question easy for him to answer but he felt like the world was staring at him, judging him the words that were about to come out of his lips.

“I would want to but I don’t know what I’d do if I see him again. I-I don’t want to talk about it” an honest answer which created an unsettling feeling in his chest. He had to chant his mantra, he had to chant, he had moved on and is happily married.

 

Jinyoung was all alone in their condo since Jaebum had a family emergency over at his hometown, Jinyoung wanted to accompany him but he refused to make him so, told him it wasn’t serious.

“I’ll call you when I get there, okay?” Jaebum told him before going out and made his way to his car.

Currently Jinyoung was settled on the couch, chewing off some mac n cheese with load of bacon and a glass of lemon juice.

His hand phone suddenly rang, startling his in shock; softly patting his chest to calm himself down. Again. He answered his phone which was welcomed by Jackson’s loud voice.

“Jiiiiiiiinyoung~!” Jackson squealed on the other line.

“What do you want, Wang”

“I heard Jaebum isn’t home, I’ll come over with pizzas. Okay, bye” Without a chance to decline, Jackson ended the call earning a sigh from Jinyoung.

There was knock on the door, a sign that Jackson had arrived and kept bustling his poor door with a series of hard knock “I’m here!”, Jackson called.

“I know, ” Jinyoung half-shouted, making his way to open the door for Jackson who was holding up boxes of pizzas and a small, brown envelope with a wax stamped over the opening of the envelope.

“I am here to keep you entertained” Jackson welcomed himself inside, pushing through Jinyoung who was used to the action.

“I don’t need you to do that” he replied, closing the door and proceeded back to his seat.

“Mr Receptionist handed me this to give it to you” Jackson said, tossing the envelope on Jinyoung’s lap and flopped on the space beside him.

Jinyoung held the envelope between his fingers and glanced at it, flipping it to the back and front, “Who did he say it was from?”

Jackson gave him a menacing smile, “Admirer~” he cooed.

Jinyoung rolled his eye, not again, he thought to himself. When will these petty presents stop? He doesn’t need any more of this problem, Jaebum felt threatened about these presents. This totally needs to stop.

With an annoyed grunt, Jinyoung threw the envelope on the trash bin earning a questioned look from Jackson.

“Was that necessary?”

“Jaebum felt threatened about the presents. This honestly needs to stop whoever this admirer is” he replied, “Anyway, have you called Mark?” It was still uncomfortable for Jinyoung to mention his name but he shrugged it off, shaking the feeling off.

Jackson jerked up, totally forgetting about what he had to do, “I forgot, damn. I’m calling him, I’m gonna call him” Digging for his phone inside his pocket. He long-pressed number one on his phone, apparently Mark’s number one on his speed dial. What is friendship?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: i was distracted a couple of times and got lazy but hey at least i get to update. how was it? lmao finally youngjae made his appearance and is working in mark's company (fyi) and hey jinyoung is a denial little pudding but who am i gonna get mad at im the one writing this. jackson's calling mark... dun dun dun. i see people on twitter complaining about no markjin selfies, we'll get to have one soon guys, on their wedding. hahah! comment down, yall know the drill.