Chapter 3

A Taste of Life

A Markjin fiction
a chaptered fan fic
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Wake up sleepy head” Jaebum said, shaking Jinyoung aggressively on their bed.

“I have no work today” Jinyoung’s voice muffled, covering his face with a pillow; trying to block the piercing rays of the sun.

“It’s 2 pm and I’m taking you out. It’s been a while since the last time we had one real date” Jaebum said, still fervently shaking Jinyoung.

Jinyoung groaned, had no choice but to wake up.

“That’s a good husband” Jaebum smiled, giving Jaebum a quick peck on the forehead before he left the room, telling Jinyoung to dress quickly. Jinyoung got dressed in simple black pants, denim long sleeve and a pair of clean dress shoes.

“You haven’t told me where we are going” Jinyoung said, clasping the seatbelt on the passenger’s seat.

“I did. I said we’re going to eat out for lunch” Jaebum replied, driving their way out the parking lot.

“Where?”

“Just wait till we get there. It’ll be worth it.”

The thirty minute ride was filled with conversations either catching up on things they’ve missed about each other’s work, making fun and talking about their friends especially about Jackson who constantly strips in the middle of their choreography practice. Students would turn their gaze off of Jackson, getting used to his peculiar habits. And they also talked about the admirer who have already given Jinyoung a present two times this week.

“Who do you think it is?” Jaebum asked, stepping the break when the traffic light lit red.

“I have no idea and I don’t even care. I was thankful for the chocolates, though. I gained a few pounds” Jinyoung replied.

“It might be one of those fans you have during college. Do you remember that time during our University Olympics? A bunch of Jinyoung cheerleaders, cheering for you to aim the bull’s eye on Archery” Jaebum snickered, reminiscing the moments of Jinyoung’s fame back in college. It was still his first year in college but he already got a handful of admirers. Who wouldn’t be enticed by Jinyoung? He got this dandy boy look which both boys and girls like, he is smart (quite intelligent, really) he spends his break reading books at the library or over at their University café. He is also part of the Student Government. A responsible and an outstanding student he was.

“You were really a role model during college and even now. Inspiring and beyond driven. I could write a ton of compliments about you and I wouldn’t even stop for a second” Jaebum smiled, stepping on the gas pedal when the light blinked green.

Jinyoung softened by his husband’s words, he usually don’t pay a single cent about other people’s opinions but it was a whole other story when it comes to Jaebum. He gave Jaebum a long, soft smile, thanking him for everything good that had happened in his life.

“I’m grateful for you, Im Jaebum” Jinyoung smiled and held Jaebum’s free hand, “But” he continued, “I wasn’t the one who had a lot of admirers back then.”

“Ah!” Jaebum said, taking a guess of who Jinyoung was trying to point out, “The famous boy Tuan.”

“He wasn’t actually a boy” Jinyoung pouted.

“It’s about time to talk freely about him” Jaebum hummed.

Jinyoung nodded. Still feeling awkward talking about his first love. The guy he fell in love all throughout college. Mark Tuan who was a contrast of Park Jinyoung. Mark Tuan that hates studying, loves skipping classes, irresponsible and yet still be able to get away with things. He has this charm, and that blazing hot red hair he sported during his four years in college. Almond eyes; sharp, perfect nose, a plump, pinkish lips; he doesn’t even have to use chapstick to give his lips a little shine because he usually do it with his tongue, a look so alluring when you see it. His jawline which was effortlessly defined, each ears that sported two earrings and a sharp canine which make him seem like a vampire at a single glance, a sharp teeth that could graze a fine line of cut on your neck when you aren’t too careful.

Jinyoung suddenly fell silent at the mention of his first love. He thought about the magazine, Mark Tuan was starred in. Feeling bitterness imploding in his chest, he wished he never have brought his name up. He thought he had recovered, he had moved on but he was rather wrong.

He heaved a deep sigh, closed his eyes and said, “There’s no reason to talk about him.”

Jaebum sensing Jinyoung’s uneasiness, changed the subject, “I think we’re almost there. I’ve reserved a table for us a week before. So, eat all you can, alright?”

Jinyoung smiled, excited about this food place they’ll be heading, forgetting about the bitter feeling that stayed in his chest.

 

The pair came home past 8 pm, a day spent eating out for lunch, an afternoon spent at an amusement park and their night walking around Han River; hand in hand. It was a date Jinyoung never could forget, a whole day spent with his husband and it made him forget all the troubles he had from work or to even forget he had a work in the beginning.

“Thank you for the entire date and it actually made me feel so, so good” Jinyoung whispered while hugging over Jaebum’s shoulders.

Jaebum rested his hand over Jinyoung’s hip and inhaled Jinyoung’s lavender scent, “We should get inside” Jaebum smiled, looking around the empty parking lot below the unit building.

They were greeted by the workers and a couple of residents when they entered, “Had a good date?” one resident asked, looking at their intertwined fingers.

Jinyoung shyly nodded causing Jaebum to snicker, witnessing how cute his husband is.

Both greeted the receptionist a ‘good evening’, the receptionist smiled in return, and slid a box wrapped in a blue ribbon in front of Jinyoung who gave his a questioned look.

“I don’t have to say it because it’s from the admirer, again. Third time this week” the old man said, bidding them a good night since he was surprisingly busy that night.

Jinyoung placed the flat box on the living room table and proceeded to the kitchen to have a good gulp of cold water.

“Should I feel threatened about this admirer’s sudden appearance?” Jaebum asked, leaning his back against the kitchen counter, facing Jinyoung.

Jinyoung looked at him from the cup he was drinking from, he set it down the island and shook his head, “There’s nothing to be threatened about.”

“Convince me.” Jaebum closed his eyes, taking a deep breath, “That you do love me.”

Jinyoung walked over towards Jaebum, cupping his cheeks against his hands, “Look at me” he commanded Jaebum who willingly did, “I love you and you have known that. Four years later, I’m still here. Ten years, and all of eternity. Don’t question your worth especially my love for you over these senseless, petty presents this admirer gave” he paused, taking in Jaebum’s face, thinking about how grateful and thankful he is for him. How loved Jaebum made him feel, “I love you and you keep thinking otherwise, I’m going to slap your face the second time you think so, because you’re stuck with me. Until I rot in hell.”

Jinyoung gave him a long, stern stare and kissed him, convincing him that, yes, he loves him and he needs to be confident about that. And not feel threatened about empty presents with no meaning and anonymous, coward admirers. He kissed him on the lips and on the forehead, both cheeks and on the tip of his nose, “Im Jaebum, I do love you” Jinyoung said.

“Thank you. It’s just that I’m afraid that you’ll leave me. I’m afraid that you still have deeper feelings for Mark inside and that someday he’ll come back and you’ll leave me for him” Jaebum lowly said, forehead against Jinyoung’s shoulder.

Jinyoung was shocked about Jaebum’s sudden confession, he hadn’t thought of that because he has settled in with Jaebum, forever, and both of them made that decision together.

“There is no way in hell, Jaebum. I finally have moved on and there is no way he’ll come back here in Korea. Mark is way back in California, already settled in with his job and his title and maybe a wife, husband of his own. This ain’t college anymore, people move on and accept things”

Jaebum lifted his head and stared at Jinyoung, “Tell me you have already moved on from Mark. Tell me that you have no feelings for him. Tell me you don’t expect Mark anymore to come into our life once again.”

“I no longer have feelings for Mark. I no longer love Mark and I don’t expect him to come back” Jinyoung convinced Jaebum, but deeply inside his chest, he has this unsettling feeling that he still does expect Mark to appear in his life, to come back to him and talk to him. He had denied to himself every time that he no longer have any feelings for Mark but maybe the saying “First love doesn’t die” is a fact, after all.

“Now, why don’t you sleep first, I have to work on my papers.” Jinyoung said, pulling Jinyoung from the kitchen counter to the door to their room.

“See you in the morning” Jaebum smiled, quickly giving Jinyoung a chaste kiss before retreating inside.

Jinyoung poured himself a glass of milk and sat comfortably on the sofa, gulping the milk down and leaned his back against the seat. He needed to be alone, to think about what Jaebum said. Was it still possible? Was he still in love with Mark? He wouldn’t know. He doesn’t know. He’s confused.

Noticing the untouched box, Jinyoung sat up and grabbed the box; losing the ribbon to open it. He pulled the cover open and was welcomed by a familiar book, ‘Dance Dance Dance’ by Haruki Murakami. It was the book he was fond of during his third year of college, he came across the book when he was scanning book by books at the local bookstore in the city, a worn out bookstore but all its books were worth the time and pretty much affordable.

The story focused on Haruki Murakami’s protagonist who spent a load of his time looking for this one girl he met during one session at a motel. While he was in search of this girl, he met another girl, a receptionist, at a rundown motel. Sensing that he may never meet the girl again, he decided to move on and live a life with the receptionist.

Jinyoung remembered being obsessed with the book, a well-written book that is filled of metaphors and a taste of mystery. Jinyoung smiled at the memories playing in his head, he canned through the pages; feeling its paper and smelling the book, old and overused. He was suddenly curious as to why this admirer chose this specific book, was there a deeper meaning to this present or was it just him overthinking the situation? But then he could never shake the feeling off, that there might be a much deeper meaning to this and it’s not another petty present.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: what the hell am i getting myself in to? writing a chaptered fic is hard but i shall come by because i shall never consider myself weak. what do yall think about the chapter? ain't jjp so cute? my markjin heart is siently crying. i promise yall Mark will appear soon, soon, soon. anyways, i'm finally meeting got7 next month and i am totally pushing myself to scream "markjin kabedon' that has to be done. if there are grammatical errors and mispelled words, please forgive me since i didn't double check them.