Chapter 10

A Taste of Life

A Markjin fiction
a chaptered fan fic
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

On the way to work, Jinyoung was stopped by the old man in the front desk, handing him an Apeach pillow, a kakao talk character. He was flabbergasted since the presents don’t usually come up during day time but during the end of the day, “This is rather interesting” Jinyoung teased.

“I was surprised myself, too” the old man replied, patting Jinyoung telling him to proceed to his work before he’ll be late. Jinyoung gave him a warm smile and went to his car. Jinyoung softly placed the pillow on the passenger’s seat and drove carefully to work.

“Someone’s rather in an upbeat mood” Bambam announced, sipping on his Cappuccino Frappe looking at Jinyoung slipping his way to his desk with a wide grin plastered on his face.

“What more to start a day than to receive a present from the admirer” he flopped himself on his seat, “An Apeach pillow. Cute isn’t it?”

“Apeach?” Bambam asked earning a nod from Jinyoung, “Any meaning behind that character?”

“Most people during my years in college associated me with the character Apeach because of my but that’s it” Jinyoung hummed, “The admirer stated that these following last three presents will kind of be personal”

“Then maybe the hint is that the admirer came from the university. Maybe younger or older but atleast we have a clue that this person is from our university”

Jinyoung beamed at Bambam’s quick analysis, “Never thought you were the smart type, Bam” he snickered earning a pout from the younger one.

“Oh by the way” Bambam started, “Boss gave the whole department a half day. They’ll probably hold an important meeting”

“Let’s grab lunch together then and maybe call Jackson and Jaebum. It had been ages since all of us last had hung out”

“That sounds like a great idea” Bambam got his phone and called Jackson, inviting both Jaebum and jim over for lunch.

The boys met by café just a walk away from Jackson and Jaebum’s work place, Bambam, Yugyeom and Jinyoung got to the café first and a couple of minutes were followed by the two boys.

“Hello boys!” Jackson skipped his way happily to where they sat, pulling a seat beside Bambam with a wide grin on his face, “The party is all here. For the first time in forever!”

Jaebum rolled his eyes, seating beside his husband then giving him a small squeeze on the thigh, “Half day?” Jinyoung nodded in reply, “Man, I miss you guys a lot” Jaebum smiled, patting both Bambam and Yugyeom on the back.

“You guys have no time to hang out with us” Bambam folded his arms over his chest, squinting his eyes to Jaebum, “So much for being married” he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

“I second that” Yugyeom raised his right arm, agreeing to what Bambam said, “they seem to have their own world”

Jackson snickered at the honest remark Yugyeom said earning a look from Jaebum, “What? What the kids said is the 100% truth”

“Can we not do this here?” Jinyoung said in a defeated sigh, “Let’s talk about other things not related to our social life, okay?”

“Sure, master” Bambam teased.

“So, Yugyeom!” Jackson started, “How was your vacation? The vacation you never mentioned me about” a pinch of betrayal and sulkiness evident from Jackson’s voice.

Yugyeom who wasn’t aware of Jackson’s sulking replied, “It was amazing” he exclaimed, “California was beautiful. I did a lot of things there.”

Jackson growled, “I should’ve been there” his shoulder slumped

“Maybe someday, hyung”

Jackson perched up on his seat, eyes shining of excitement, “How was Mark?”

Jaebum stiffened at the mention of the guy’s name, Jinyoung being aware of it placed a reassuring hand over Jaebum’s knees, easing him a little bit.

“Mark’s gotten a lot more handsome” a smug smile made its way on Yugyeom’s face.

“That’s not something new” Jackson leaned comfortably on his seat, elbows resting on the arm rest.

“If Youngjae and Mark were here, we would be complete” Bambam mumbled but clear enough to be heard by the circle.

Jackson’s smile widened like he had thought of a great idea or maybe a hilarious idea to share to the group, “Call Mark! Call Mark!” he insisted.

Jackson didn’t really think or care about what Jaebum or Jinyoung might feel because if you have moved on then bringing up a sensitive topic wouldn’t affect them very much. If you are past that there there would be no problem about mentioning a topic that was sensitive for them. Same goes for Yugyeom and Bambam and a bit of them hoped that somewhere in Jinyoung he’d still feel awkward and uncomfortable, that would mean he still cares and is affected.

Yugyeom perched up and fished for his phone inside his pocket, Jaebum gave Jinyoung a look that would probably mean that he is here and there is nothing t be afraid of. Jinyoung smiled at him, thanking him.

Both Jackson and Bambam anticipated and was looking forward for Mark to answer the phone, after five rings the other line answered with a raspy ‘hello’.

“Mark hyung?” Yugyeom asked, making sure that it was Mark who answered the call. Putting on loud speaker, Yugyeom called Mark’s name again.

It came with a husky grunt from the other line, “It’s me” Mark answered softly, sounding like he had a sore throat.

Jinyoung silently listened to the exchange of words from both men, he unknowingly bit the skin of his bottom lip and played with his fingers under the table.

“Yo Mark! We all know you don’t talk a lot but at least answer us a proper set of sentences, not just grunts and groans” Jackson demanded, his body leaning over the phone placed on top of the table.

“ you” Mark paused for a couple of seconds and series of coughing could be heard from the other line, “I’m sick. What do you want?”

“Markie! Are you okay?” Jackson’s expression shifted to a worried look, his bestfriend is sick and he could not do anything to ease his pain.

Mark heaved a deep sigh, rustling of what seemed like a bed sheet can be heard from the other line, guessing Mark sat up and leaned on his headboard, “I’m okay”

“Hyung, all of us are here!” Bambam exclaimed, “It had been a while since all of us had hang out” he leaned towards Yugyeom’s phone so Mark could clearly hear him.

“And the reason you’re calling me in the middle of the night is?” Mark asked, wondering why they were calling him instead of Youngjae.

Jackson exclaimed before Bambam had the chance to answer, “Because I miss you”

Jinyoung could picture Mark rolling his eyes because of Jackson’s cheesy personality. He knew Mark too well, he knew what annoys him and what makes him giggle like a young teen.

“Hey guys!” Another voice from the other line called out to the group, the boys were confused for a second from the sudden change of voice from a raspy sound to a cheerful one.

“Youngjae!” Yugyeom exclaimed after realizing it was him on the phone.

“Youngjae!” Jackson squealed, “It’s been a while, you!” a wide grin plastered on his face, he indeed was happy that he could talk to his close friends over the phone.

Jaebum and Jinyoung were carefully listening to the conversations shared by the boys in front of them. Youngjae was one of Jaebum’s closest friends and hearing his voice now seemed like a heavy weight has been lifted from his chest, he smiled hearing Youngjae’s voice and realized how he misses the younger one.

“I’m sorry about Mark. He wasn’t feeling well” Youngjae said, sounding so worried.

“Overworking?” Yugyeom guessed since Mark always did overwork himself physically and mentally to get distracted about certain things, Yugyeom had a hint and he knows Mark knows he got the idea.

“When has he ever stopped overworking himself” Youngjae huffed on the other line, whispering from the other line so that Mark won’t be able to hear his words, “You know. It made me realize that a lazy Mark was so much better”

A distant voice from the other line barked back in a raspy voice, “The you said?”

Youngjae let out a nervous laugh before replying, “N-nothing hyung”

Jinyoung agreed to Youngjae mentally because having Mark sick on the other line doesn’t settle calmly and right on his chest and taking care of him crossed his mind but it wasn’t possible. Never will again.

Jackson leaned one more time towards Yugyeom’s phone, “Youngjae, hand the phone to Mark again. I have something important to say’

After a few sounds of silence, Mark spoke on the other line, “What”

Jinyoung’s breath hitched, hearing Mark’s voice again for the nth time today and he’d still feel jumpy hearing it, he glanced around him searching if someone saw him react in a unusual way.

“I may have heard Yugyeom say something about you coming back soon?” a wide grin made its waY TO Jackson’s face, eyes full of anticipation and a mix of excitement. Looking for the moment that he’s finally see and hug his best friend once again.

Yugyeom mentally cursed at himself, he surely need to keep his mouth shut especially relating to confidential news a.k.a Mark’s return.

Mark couldn’t mutter a single word about what Jackson said, they said everyone was there and it menat everyone heard it especially Jinyoung, Jinyoung heard it and Mark was afraid that Jinyoung wouldn’t want to ever see him again. The only hope he has left is from the presents and he hoped even for 20% that it’ll be a success and hopefully he’ll want to see Mark again.

Mark cleared his voice before speaking, “If I feel like it” he tried sounding not interested and calm about it because if he did stutter he’d earn a lot of teasing and bickers. He knew his façade worked when Jackson shrieked on the other line.

Jackson bounced up and down on his seat followed by Bambam who was squealing to himself, “But what do you mean if you feel like it?”

Jinyoung tensed and Jaebum felt it, he gave Jinyoung a squeeze on the hand telling him that he is here and reassuring him that everything will be fine but Jinyoung was lost in his trance. A part of him looked forward to seeing Mark and a part of himself wanted to run away back to his hometown, covering himself under his mom’s duvet. He was in a war with himself and it didn’t settle right on his chest which was imploding in nervousness, he glanced at the boys in front of him sporting an expression of excitement and joy. And he was looking at Jaebum who was looking at him carefully, mouthing a word, “You okay?” Jinyoung nodded in return, his eyes settling back on Yugyeom’s phone.

“If you’d stop being annoying” a loud laugh can be heard from the other line coming from Youngjae who was probably bending back, laughing.

Jackson pouted and a motivated expression landed on his face, “I won’t annoy you. As long as you comeback”

Noticing Jaebum and Jinyoung’s silence, Jackson called for their attention, “Hey you pair” he called, earning a look from both men, “Why don’t you come greet Mark?! It has been a while!”

Jinyoung mentally strangled Jackson and if it weren’t enough, he mentally pictured himself punching and kicking the daylights out of Jackson, he gave him a look and slightly shook his head.

“Oh come one!” Jackson grumbled on his seat and Yugyeom slightly froze in his seat looking at Jinyoung who had his eyebrows knitted together, he knew Jinyoung felt uncomfortable and Jackson had that special talent making people uncomfortable about certain situations. He didn’t budge and kept watching the scene before him, Jinyoung lost in his train of thoughts and Jaebum giving Jackson a deathly glare.

“Just a greeting, come on” Jackson barked again earning a supportive ‘yeah’ from Bambam. Talking about double the annoyance. The other line was silent and Yugyeom knew why and maybe Jackson also knew.

Jackson insisted that they should should greet Mark and a simple greeting wouldn’t even hurt so Jaebum heaved a deep sigh, shoulder slumped. He cleared his throat and slowly greeted Mark, “It’s been a while, Mark”

The other line was dead silent and the boys thought the call was disconnected, after a couple of seconds Mark replied back, “Hey Jaebum” and loud “Hi Jaebum! How are you doing?” coming from Youngjae earning a smile from Jaebum, “I’ve been doing well, Youngjae”.

The three squealed in delight, shaking their body expressing how happy they are then after a short exchange of greetings they eyed Jinyoung, giving him a silent ‘Get on with it’

Jinyoung bit his lower lip and a series of words were pouring inside his head. ‘What should I say? Hey Mark? Hello Mark? It’s been a long time, Mark? I’ve missed you, Mark? How are you?’

Jinyoung released a long breath, trying to calm himself eyes closed. He bit his tongue before muttering a word to greet his ex-boyfriend, “H-hey, Mark” he mentally cursed himself, silently growling at himself for stuttering.

“Ah. Hey Jinyoung” Mark greeted back and kept his cool knowing to himself that he was shaking and breathing hard, nervous at speaking to Jinyoung even for a simple greeting. He missed his voice, he missed hearing his voice and him saying his name.

Jinyoung froze on his seat, unable to mutter a word or even move. He heard him speak his name and he forgot how it made him feel. Made him feel complete and calm and wanted Mark to speak his name again and again. Hearing him in a very raspy, deep voice saying his name and if Jinyoung would be brave enough, he’d press record then play it on loop until he’d get tired of it but he knew he wouldn’t get tired of hearing it. Never.

The three boys cheered, clapping at the exchange and honestly from the look of Jinyoung, they look a bunch of seals, a stupid seal, that stupid seal in Finding Dory.

“Hello again guys!” Youngjae cheered, “Mark’s resting, he honestly felt tired and he needs sleep. We wouldn’t want the CEO to tire himself, right?”

Jackson was sad, clearly evident on his face but he understood. Mark needed to rest and he at least was glad he was able to speak to his bestfriend and Youngajae, “See you soon, guys!” Jackson exclaimed, and he couldn’t wait to see them again, to hang out with them again.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n: well here is the tenth chapter. i was out of myself while writing this so i apologize for some mistakes and maybe some grammatical errors or misspelled words. anywho, once again, i hope you enjoyed this chapter.