Chapter 1

A Taste of Life

A Markjin fiction
a chaptered fan fic

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Feet off the table, Im Jaebum” Jinyoung scolded his husband for four solid years, both residing at their luxurious condo on the 16th floor of the unit building. Life for them seemed like a calm, settling sea. Just like any domestic married couple, Jinyoung and Jaebum spend their time cooking together and making obnoxious jokes, going to their respective jobs and spend their nights in bed, telling stories about how their day went and some problems occurring at work. Jinyoung worked as an editor at a Publishing Firm in the city of Seoul while Jaebum works as a Dance Instructor together with their childhood friend, Jackson Wang. Life was good to them, there were no rocky patches along the road, and it was well cemented and calm, so calm that sometimes it was unsettling. Feeling like a calm weather before a huge storm and that’s what scared Jinyoung, so he braced himself every day, expecting something negative to occur anytime.

“All you do is clean the already clean unit” Jaebum said, matter-of-factly, “Why don’t you just sit beside me and rest for a minute” he continued, patting the empty space of their white, leather couch.

“No, it’s fine. I have to buy groceries for dinner tonight. Our pantry and our fridge is almost empty. I cannot believe I forgot to check it yesterday” Jinyoung complained, unplugging the vacuum and kept it inside the cabinet, together with other cleaning tools.

“I’ll buy those groceries for you, just hand me the list. I should be helping you with these chores, you can’t basically do everything on your own” Jaebum said, now standing; making his way to his husband’s side, resting both hands on Jinyoung’s shoulder, massaging him to ease the tensions on his shoulders. Jinyoung moaned in satisfaction, tilting his head on the right, feeling all calmed down.

“Feeling calm?” Jaebum asked, both hands still on Jinyoung’s shoulder. Jinyoung nodded and released a satisfying breath, “Thanks for that, hun” he smiled, turning to face Jaebum and gave him a long, warm hug.

“Anything for you” Jaebum grinned, earning a light giggle from Jinyoung, “But I’ll be doing groceries on my own” he teased, giving Jaebum, a light push and made his way to the kitchen, grabbing his car keys.

Jaebum surrendered and breathed out, “You always do thing on your own. Cute” he said as he went back sitting on the leather couch.

“Anything you want me to buy for you, hun?” Jinyoung asked before leaving.

“Beer! We ran out of beer! We’ll be having a boys’ night tomorrow with Jackson, remember? And maybe some chips for tomorrow”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. I’ll be back in an hour” Jinyoung said and then left the unit, driving his way to the supermarket.

Jinyoung got a cart and started looking for things on his list, walking through from aisle to aisle; picking out things and a couple of foods, placing it inside his cart.

“Pasta, mozzarella, ham” Jinyoung murmured to himself, looking everywhere for those three specific items. A sudden red image passed rather swiftly from his peripheral view which made him stop in his track, glancing from left to right; looking for that familiar red image. A flaming red head.

“Mark?” Jinyoung thought to himself, “No, it couldn’t be. He has settled in California. There’s no way” he convinced himself, brushing the thought out of his mind, and proceeded to do what he was doing “What were the things again?”.

Totally forgetting the little incident back in the supermarket, Jinyoung loaded all the grocery bags inside the trunk of his auto. Shutting down the trunk, making his was towards the driver’s seat and drove his way home, like every other grocery shopping in his life.

Jinyoung parked in his usual spot, unloaded the trunk and went inside the building, passing the reception desk on the ground floor. This night wasn’t like any other night he had when the receptionist himself called out for Jinyoung before going inside the lift.

“Mr. Jinyoung?” The receptionist called out to Jinyoung who was bringing a handful of grocery bags.

Jinyoung stopped in his tracks and face the receptionist, “Yes? That’s me”.

“There’s an interesting present for you that came in probably forty-five minutes before you came in” the receptionist said, looking for the present inside his desk.

Jinyoung was curious since it had probably been years since he had received a present, “Do you know who it was from?” he asked, confirming if the present was really for him.

“Here it is” the receptionist calmly said, taking out a bouquet, a bundle of baby’s breath, lilac and lavenders, wrapped in a brown wrapper and tied with a blue ribbon. The receptionist handed the bouquet of flowers to Jinyoung who was in a surprised state.

“Are you 100% sure that this is for me because I couldn’t possibly have a suitor since I’m already married”

“The delivery boy specifically said the name Park Jinyoung with a raven black hair” The receptionist said, “Just accept this and end your day with a smile, be grateful that somewhere out there, one person or more still admires you despite being taken” he warmly smiled.

Jinyoung, who thought of what he said, smiled by the thought of it and accepted the bouquet of flowers, smelling it and heaved out a satisfying sigh, “They are indeed beautiful”.

“Was there also a return address given?”

“Sadly, no. An admirer remains to be anonymous I presume” the man replied.

With that, Jinyoung gave the man and thankful smile before entering the lift, sending him to the 16th floor where his husband is waiting for him.

“I’m home” Jinyoung announced as he made his way to the kitchen island after taking his footwear off, placing it on the shoe rack.

“You got the beer, hun?” Jaebum said, walking his way to Jinyoung; kissing him on the cheek like what he does every day whenever Jinyoung comes home from work.

“Yep!” Jinyoung replied, taking the foods out the bag and arranging them on the pantry where they stock most of the food in.

The bouquet of flowers was settled on top of the island, Jaebum instantly noticed its existence, asked Jinyoung, “Hun, what’s that for?”

Jinyoung looked at what Jaebum was pointing, he was referring to the bouquet of flowers that he had just received from an anonymous admirer. Nevertheless, Jinyoung answered him nonchalantly about receiving if from the receptionist who received it from a delivery boy which was delivered by an anonymous guy or girl.

“Well, aren’t you one famous guy?” Jaebum playfully teased Jinyoung which eased the latter, he thought Jaebum was going to throw a fit and get angry, guess he was wrong.

“Shut up” Jinyoung rolled his eyes, continuing to store chips, oatmeal, cereals and what not inside the pantry.

“Should I get worried?” Jaebum asked, taking out the beer out of the bag and placed it inside the fridge for tomorrow’s special day.

“You have nothing to worry about” Jinyoung, who was done stocking the foods, walked towards Jaebum and gave him a back hug, “I’m yours, aren’t I?” he said, earning a giggle from Jaebum.

Jaebum faced Jinyoung, hugging him around the waist, “And I’m yours” he grinned, giving Jinyoung a long, chaste kiss which Jinyoung gladly kissed back, smiling.

“I wouldn’t be any happier. Thank You.” Jinyoung smiled, looking at Jaebum sincerely in the eye.

“There’s nothing to be thankful for. For the record, I should be the one thanking you, you made me realize everything that I thought was impossible”

“Well, you’re welcome. I’m glad I did or you’d still be in that cranky apartment of yours, eating junks and talking to a cat” Jinyoung teased.

Jaebum let off a loud laugh, “Shut up” poking Jinyoung on the ribs, earning a giggle from the latter. “Nora was special and she still is” Jaebum said, still poking Jinyoung on the side.

“O-Ohkay S-s-stop” Jinyoung tried taking straight despite getting poked on his sensitive spot, Jaebum halted and cupped Jinyoung’s cheeks, gazing at his face, his nose, his lips, and lastly his eyes, “I love you” he whispered.

Jinyoung softly smiled at his manly husband and replied with the same words, “I love you, too. And I’m beyond thankful of you. I would still be a mess if it weren’t for you, you saved me.” Jinyoung whispers enough for Jaebum to hear, remembering things from his past, exactly five years ago.

“You don’t have to think about that now. Everything has changed and what we have right now is what we need” Jaebum smiled, reassuring Jinyoung.

With that, Jinyoung gave him a sincere smile, thankful of everything he had done for him but still he could feel the empty void deeply in his chest that he himself couldn’t shake off.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a/n:  twt  I am back with another Markjin fiction but different because, hey! it's a chaptered fic. Surprise! I didn't expect this to happen, I actually planned this as a one shot but the story wouldn't want to end so abruptly. So, yeah. I decided to make this as a chaptered fiction. How do you guys like it so far? It's still a long, long way for Mr. Mark Tuan to appear. Before publishing this story, I was actually listening to Red Foley's The Taste of Life. Comment down what y'all think.