Neighbour

Love Again
Jjun used to be my life; he was everything to me. The fact that I can live so well on my own now to the point that I had forgotten about him just infuriates me. Not that it changes anything but still… it makes me feel like an ungrateful brat.
 
“You like being alone, huh.” Namjoon’s stare bores into me. He seems to be reading me and I don’t like it. I turn away, breaking his eye contact.
 
“Being alone is great. No meetings, no farewells,” I say.
 
“What about reconciliation?” The dejection is evident in his voice.
 
“For yet another break up?”
 
The silence returns, more blaring than before. “I’m sorry, Sera.”
 
“What for?” I turn to look at him, the tears welling up in his eyes glistening in the dark. I hesitantly reach out – is that anticipation I see? – and let my hand drop before I can catch the first tear that falls.
 
“I’m sorry…” Another tear falls. Oh? I don’t remember Jjun being such a cry baby. With a sigh, I pull Namjoon into my arms. I pat his back lightly to help calm him down. “I scarred you.”
 
My hand pauses mid-pat. “You think too highly of yourself.” Releasing him, I give him a pat on the shoulder. “It was society in general that changed me. Don’t put it all upon yourself.”
 
“Where are you going?” Namjoon asks when he sees me stand to dust off my pants.
 
“Home. It’s late. I’ll see you in school, Namjoon sunbae.”
 
I turn to leave but he holds on to me. “Are you expecting me to ignore you at school?”
 
“Maybe we should tone it down a bit,” I say after some thought. “I’m not used to so much attention.”
 
Namjoon nods solemnly. “At least drop the sunbae. I’ll never get used to you being formal with me.”
 
“See you if I see you.” I walk my first few steps backwards before turning around. When I’m sure I’m out of his sight, I run the remaining route home.
 
“You’re late,” my mum says simply when I push open the door to our apartment. We moved here a couple of years ago because it’s closer to mum’s workplace. My school being near here is a bonus for me.
 
“Exercise.” Without as much as a look at her, I retreat into my room. I don’t bother to change into pyjamas as I fall into my bed. Staring at the galaxy of glow-in-the-dark stars I’d stuck onto my ceiling, I take deep breaths to recompose myself.
 
Namjoon is back, but you can’t go back to relying on him anymore.
You can do things on your own. You’re a big girl now, aren’t you?
Lean on him again and history will replay itself.
He’ll leave, and you’ll break again.
Stay alone.
Stay alone, Sera.
Stay alone.
 
I drift into an uneasy sleep with tears clogged in the corners of my eyes.
 
It’s almost lunch time when I finally wake up, my eyes glued shut by tears that dried overnight. I rub the crust away and stare into the sun shining audaciously into my room. It’s Saturday! With what little willpower I have in me, I drag my feet into the bathroom for a quick wash up before raiding the fridge for food. I find a rotting stick of carrot and expired milk.
 
To starve or to tire myself going out to fuel myself? I laugh at the irony and my stomach laughs at my foolishness. “Hungry!” the growling screams at me.
 
“How about, no,” I tell my stomach as I plant myself on the sofa. I still have a couple of hours until I have to get my lazy out of the house. I’m sure they have food at parties, right? I’ll just have to survive until then.
 
A knock on the door irritates my ears. Did mum go out? Didn’t she bring the key? The knocking continues.
 
“Second flower pot!” I shout so she can hear me. That’s where I keep my spare key in case I forget to bring mine out. Behind the door, movement quietens down. Following the turning of key, the door opens and surprise, it’s not my mum.
 
“Are you usually this generous?” An unfamiliar looking boy asks from the door, my key in his hand.
 
“W-who are y-you!” I hold out the TV remote as my defence weapon. “W-where’s my m-mum!”
 
“Was she supposed to be outside?” He turns to look around outside. “I don’t see anyone though.”
 
I approach him slowly, the remote held tightly in my outstretched arm. “What do you want?”
 
“Woah, easy on that,” he says, eyeing my defensive stance. He smiles a gummy smile as he holds up a plate of something. “My family just moved in next door, and I was tasked to distribute these rice cakes.”
 
“Really?” I eye him suspiciously.
 
“Taehyung, are you done?” Someone calls out in the background.
 
“Almost!” Back to me, he introduces, “My name’s Kim Taehyung.” He holds out my key to me and when I take it he offers me a handshake.
 
“Welcome to the neighbourhood,” I greet, taking his hand. I notice how his smile is boxy, almost like a rectangle. His smile exposes a neat set of pearly whites. “I’m Park Sera.”
 
“Nice to meet you, Sera. Are you in high school? I’m in my second year at a school near where I lived before here.”
 
“Oh? We’re the same age, then. I go to the neighbourhood school.”
 
“Cool. My parents are thinking of getting me transferred over. Oops, my mum’s calling for me. See you around, Sera!” And with another smile and a small wave, he runs off.
 
I return my spare key to its hiding place before going back to the living room, rice cakes in my hand. I munch on the snack while watching TV and in the midst of it periodically think of how Taehyung seems to be quite an interesting person.
 
==============================


 
A/N: It wasn't until this morning that I realised I forgot to update yesterday. To make up for the delay, I present an epic plot twist in this chapter. No, I'm just kidding. My writing's been slowed down a bit due to work and other committments and I'm not sure if I can keep up with 2 chapters every week but I'll make sure to update at least once weekly.