Locked

Love Again
“My name is Kim Namjoon, and I just transferred into Class 3-1,” the transfer student introduces himself. While I’m not in the least interested about knowing who he is, I don’t miss noting that I was right about him being a senior. Class 3-1? He must be really smart to have jumped right in to the top class.
 
“Hmm,” is all I manage in response.
 
“’Hmm’?” The transfer student – Kim Namjoon – eyes me suspiciously. “I said I’m Kim Namjoon.”
 
“I heard you the first time. Now will you get back to your seat and leave me alone?” My annoyance matches a certain exasperation on Namjoon’s face. He finally turns away, dejection written in big letters on his forehead. Weird person he is. Pushing all distracting thoughts away, I clear my mind for the incoming Math and Literature I’ve planned to study today.
 
It isn’t until the 9PM chime of the school bell that I look up from my work, half the lights in the library already turned off in the unoccupied areas. I stand to stretch out my sore back and yawn once in the process.
 
“Are you leaving already?” I hear someone ask. Is it another study group? Funny, it’s usually only me left in the library at this time on a Friday night. Keeping my pens and books, I pack everything into my bag and place the books I no longer need in the nearest return cart. Back at my table, I see Kim Namjoon from earlier leaning against my table, the square of light from his phone illuminating his face.
 
“You’re still here?” I ask, hitching my heavy backpack onto my shoulders.
 
He raises an eyebrow at me. “Didn’t you hear me speak just now? Never mind that now. Let’s go.” He tilts his head in the direction of the exit and walks ahead. I follow behind him, not because he said to but because there is only one exit to leave from.
 
The hallway is dimly lit by emergency lights but the darkness is no problem for me as I’ve pretty much have my route memorised. Namjoon stands rooted at the library exit, his eyes struggling to adjust to the lack of light. As he fiddles around his phone, I push past him and dip my head in a slight bow out of respect for him as senior. It isn’t until a few steps out that a bright light shines from behind me and I realise that Namjoon has his flashlight app running.
 
“Wait up,” he says, catching up to me. “It’s dark.”
 
Ah, is he not familiar with the building yet? Taking his phone, I shine the light at a particular stairway. “Go down this way to the ground floor, walk straight and turn right after the washrooms. Once you pass the admin office you should be able to see the main gate.”
 
“Why are you telling me this? Aren’t you coming with me?” He asks when I pass him back his phone.
 
 “I’m headed for the back gate.”
 
He nods. “Let’s go. Lead the way.”
 
Wait, what? “Sunbae-nim, you should just leave by the main gate.”
 
“Sunbae?” He frowns for the umpteenth time. “Is there a reason why I can’t follow you to the back gate?”
 
Good question, I think. “It’s easier to leave by the main gate. The bus stop’s right outside.”
 
“But you’re still going by the back gate.” He said this more like a statement than question. I nod hesitantly.
 
“It’s more convenient for me,” I tell him. Anything to help me not take a big detour around the school just to reach my block. Namjoon seems to be considering something.
 
“Now that I think about it, I would have to walk less if I go by the back gate too. Now lead the way.”
 
I pout in the darkness where he can’t see. Should I bring him to the back gate? It’s not like I’ll be breaking any school rules but I don’t suppose it’s normal to be climbing over gates at this hour of the night either. By the looks of my current situation, I don’t think I have a choice. With a sigh of defeat, I lead him down a more secluded flight of stairs. Namjoon’s light shines around the narrow stairway as we climb down and at ground floor, we turn away from the better lit hallway and head deeper into the dark, quiet school.
 
“Do you always walk by this way?” Namjoon asks suddenly, his voice vibrating off the walls. I nod. “Aren’t you scared?”
 
I stop walking and my sudden braking causes him to bang into my back. He apologises softly. “Are you scared?” I tease, a small smile playing on my lips.
 
“S-scared? Who, m-me? N-no, of c-course not.” But his stammering proves otherwise.
 
I shake my head at his cowardice. “We’re almost there.” We reach after turning the last corner.
 
“You didn’t mention it would be locked,” Namjoon mumbles as we approach the gate, a large padlock in place.
 
“I thought you’d know the back gate closes at 7PM,” I lie unnecessarily. “There’s always the main gate if you’re not feeling up to gate scaling.”
 
He huffs. “You weren’t like this before,” he says, his voice a mere whisper.
 
“You didn’t know me before,” I retort pointedly with a snort. Bringing Namjoon here means mission complete. My job is done and all that’s left is for me to climb over this gate and go home. With a practiced skill, I step onto the first bar of the gate. I skip as many bars as my legs allow and quickly reach the top. Hoisting myself over the edge, I swing over to the outside and jump down, landing swiftly on my feet. Namjoon still stands wide-eyed on the other side.
 
“See you if I see you.” I hold up my hand in a wave before turning on my heels. Surely the transfer student can take care of himself. I don’t look back as I walk away, the only things on my mind are home, shower and sleep.

==============================