Epilogue: I do

Love Again
Today is the day of my graduation. My footsteps echo as it hits the wooden floor of the auditorium stage. Head up and back straight, I stride purposefully towards the middle of the stage where I am presented with my graduation certificate. Alongside that folder is another containing an academic award, one to recognise that I’d come up top among my peers.
 
Once the official ceremony was over, students file out of the hall and break into their own groups. We return to our classrooms to greet our teachers, and flock around friends to take pictures with one another. I find myself busy posing for cameras as well, hugging classmates as we part ways. Being with Namjoon had changed me in many ways, one of which is to open up to people again. Even though I may never see most of these people again, we could still keep in contact through social media. It’s never really farewell forever, I learn.
 
Outside, I spot my mother among the sea of parents fussing over their grown children. I hadn’t expected her to come, so her appearance comes as a surprise. I jog towards her, a smile wide on my face.
 
“Didn’t think you’d come,” I say.
 
Mum shrugs. “It’s your graduation.” Ecstatic, I hug her. She seems caught off guard for a moment but she returns the gesture. How long has it been since I last hugged her? She feels so small, so frail compared to the woman of my memories. The soft clearing of throat catches my attention.
 
“Sunbae,” Jungkook’s voice breaks my reverie. Upon seeing my mum, he bows deeply in greeting. I introduce them to each other.
 
“Well, my part here is done. I have to get back to the office,” mum says. With another bow from Jungkook, she turns to leave, her heels clacking against the concrete pavement. Returning to look at Jungkook, he hands me a small bouquet of flowers.
 
“Congratulations on your graduation, sunbae.”
 
“Thanks, kid.”
 
Jungkook sniffs as he wipes non-existent tears. “I won’t get to see you around often now.”
 
“Dramatic as always.” I punch him in the shoulder.
 
“And still bothering my girlfriend as always,” a deeper voice interrupts.
 
“Jjun!” I jump into his embrace. “When did you get back?”
 
After his graduation last year, Namjoon had left for the States to pursue his college studies. In this past year, we Skype almost every other day and only met face to face once when he came back during a holiday few months ago. Seeing him again in the flesh makes my heart swell with longing for him.
 
“I came as soon as I touched down,” he tells me. His style hasn’t changed much since he left and in his jeans and long jacket, he still looks as dashing as I remember.
 
“Namjoon sunbaenim,” Jungkook greets the older boy. Namjoon eyes him as if he wanted to eat him alive. I slip my hand into Namjoon’s and pull him away slightly.
 
“What are the both of you doing?” I roll my eyes.
 
Jungkook clicks his tongue. “I was just about to leave, geez. Sera sunbae!” Pulling out his phone, we take a quick selfie before he runs off to congratulate other people. With no one else to greet, I lead Namjoon away from the crowd and towards the peaceful quiet of our sanctuary.
 
“Have you confirmed your departure?” Namjoon asks as he pushes me on the swing.
 
I nod. “I’m leaving next month. Mum’s requested transfer to the office there and they’ve approved it so she’s currently looking for an apartment in the area.”
 
That’s right, I’m leaving. One thing that didn’t Namjoon didn’t quite change is how good at academics I am. If any, he helped me get better in my studies. And my hard work has finally paid off. Following Namjoon, I earned a scholarship in the same university as him so we’d be able to go to school together. Granted, we’ll have different timetables being in different majors but at least we’d remain in close proximity with each other.
 
Our relationship has blossomed to a point that even my mum acknowledges Namjoon as one of her own. He came over a few times when she was also at home and naturally she came to know of us. I can’t really tell if she’s for us being together but she hasn’t voiced out her disapprovals if she had any.
 
“Sera-yah.” Namjoon stops the swing and routes over to the front.
 
“Hmm?” I look up at him with my hands still holding onto the ropes. Hmm? Where is he? I lower my line of sight to see down on one knee in front of me. “Jjun...?”
 
 
From behind his back, he brandishes a bouquet of roses in red, pink, and purple. He hands me the bouquet and reaches back into his large coat pocket. The black velvet material of something catches my eye before he can pull it out fully. I don’t dare let myself think for fear of disappointment. But Namjoon never disappoints. I let myself get my hopes high as the velvet material reveals to be that of a small box. I hold my breath.
 
“Park Sera,” he starts, his voice deep with determination. “I knew since I first laid eyes on you that you were the one for me. We’ve been separated for a long time but it didn’t do anything but make me realise how I cannot live without you.
 
“I proposed to you about two years ago and you rejected me. We were still young, you said. I heard your heart and so I waited. Today, as an adult, I ask again.” Namjoon opens the box and a small diamond glistens at me, its surface reflecting colours in the sun.
 
“Park Sera, will you marry me?”
 
Tears pool in the corners of my eye. As Namjoon was far in the other half of the globe, I found the answers I’ve been seeking. More precisely, the answers came to me.
 
I thought of what it was like to live without Namjoon. Even though he wasn’t here physically, I could still feel his presence around me. If he were to be gone from my life… The thought of marriage with him became not just to be tied down by a mere contract. I realised then that it was more than just taking his surname. It’s about creating a new family with him, our family. And the idea of having his children in the future is just as exhilarating.
 
Blinking away the tears, I will them not to fall. Namjoon looks up at me with a hopeful glimmer in his eyes.
 
I nod once, slowly. “Yes, Kim Namjoon. Yes, I do!”
 
Namjoon almost jumps up in excitement, his face unable to contain his emotions. Plucking the ring out of the box, he smoothly slips it onto my left ring finger. The diamond sits atop sparkling as bright as the sun. Overwhelmed with my own emotions, I can only laugh even as he pulls me into his arms. Before I know it, his lips are on mine and we’re kissing as if we’re the only two in the world. At that point, I can’t be bothered to think of anything else except that I would soon be his wife. We would be married, and we would start our own family.
 
Kim Namjoon, I think to myself, as long as it is with you, yes, yes I do.
 
==============================


 
A/N: And this epilogue marks the end of Love Again (a.k.a The Comfort of You)! I don't have much else to say besides thanks to everyone for reading. Thank you for sticking by the good as well as bad chapters, I couldn't have made it to the end without y'all ♥
 
As this one ends, I'll still be working on writing some more to hopefully come up with a new story soon. Stick around! :)