Proposal

Love Again
“I thought you were starving,” Namjoon says, staring at me from the seat opposite the table.
 
“But I am.” Grinning cheekily, I dig into my ice cream, making sure to pick up a piece of waffle and brownie at the same time.
 
He sighs. “Whatever makes you happy, princess.” A small smile lines his lips as he steals a berry from my plate. He then pops a big scoop of ice cream into his mouth and I watch with laughter as his face scrunches up in a brain freeze. Noticing a dribble of cream down the corner of his lips, I pick up a tissue and reach over to wipe it off for him.
 
“Sera-yah,” Namjoon calls my name when I sit back down again. His eyes shine with an unexplainable sparkle.
 
“Hmm?” I look up at him, my head tilted.
 
“Let’s get married when we graduate.” He says this so casually I’m doubting his words.
 
I roll my eyes. “If this is your proposal I’m rejecting it.” I take a big bite of waffle and strawberry.
 
“What, why!” Namjoon shoots up from his seat, his glass of water almost taking a plunge off the table as he does so. I reach out to grab it before it can spill and crash on the floor. He flushes visibly at his clumsiness.
 
“Sit down,” I tell him. “And we still have a lot of time until graduation. Besides, aren’t you going back to America to further your studies?”
 
I’ve already come to terms with the fact that Namjoon would be leaving me again. He’s been going on and on about it for a while now. Namjoon has taken interest in philosophy and he’s had his eyes on taking a related major in university ever since. Apparently, this place in the States is well known in this field.
 
Namjoon seems to consider this quite seriously. “You could come with me?”
 
“Jjun,” I say as light-heartedly as I can, “we’ll take about it when the time comes, okay?”
 
He looks so obviously dejected that I can hear my heart crack for him. But who thinks of marriage at this age? I don’t even know if he’s for real. We’re both still too young. And overseas studies? I’d never be able to afford the tuition fees. With a soft sigh, I take a sip of water and turn to stare at my melting ice cream.
 
Later that evening, I sit with Taehyung at the playground with a large padded jacket wrapped around myself.
 
“He really said that?” Taehyung asks for the third time as he takes the slide for the fifth.
 
“I don’t know…” I throw myself down the same slide after him. Stoned at the bottom of the slide, I forget to move until Taehyung crashes into my back, the impact forcing me to roll off onto the ground.
 
Taehyung sighs as he holds out a hand to pull me up. I stare at him blankly and instead lie down on the poured rubber surface of the ground. Taehyung pulls me up by my arms into sitting position before settling down beside me.
 
“So, he kind of proposed. What’s the issue here?”
 
“His proposal is the issue!”
 
Taehyung blinks at my sudden outburst.
 
“His timing was awkward, there was no thought to it, and it was not romantic at all!” I cry out to the setting sun.
 
“Well…” Taehyung starts, “I guess I have to agree with you on that. But putting the lack of event aside, I think hyung really, really loves you.”
 
“You think?” I sigh. “I know he does, but…”
 
“You’re worried about him leaving. Can’t do long-distance relationships?”
 
I shoot him a look. “We’re still young. How can he be sure already that I’m who he wants to spend the rest of his life with? What if later he decides that I’m not really the wife he wants? We’re not even legally adults yet!”
 
Taehyung chuckles. “Now you’re just worrying too much. I can try talking to hyung, if you want. But in my opinion, you’re both idiots.”
 
“What does that mean?” I smack his arm.
 
“You love him but you can’t get past the scar your parents left on you. Namjoon hyung’s too blindly in love with you to see that.” Taehyung shakes his head and sighs. “Come, we can talk about this again another day. Let’s go home. It’s getting cold out.”
 
==============================


 
A/N: I realise I might have been MIA for almost 3 weeks but I just came back from my holiday in Seoul. Just a heads up, TCY might be coming to an end soon... On a side note, HIGHLIGHT fans anyone? Plz Don't Be Sad ><