006

Melodious Harmony

"Heh, so I can see that you and Seokjin are a thing now?" Namjoon eyed the two of you as you came into the cafeteria the next day, sitting next to each other so close that you were almost touching.

Like Areum the other day.

Your face flushed and you protested, "No, not at all! Well..."

"Hmm, sure."

Jimin looked at the two of you, an unreadable expression on his face. Noticing you watching him, he pushed the corners of his lips up, noting, "The two of you are awfully close today. You didn't sit by his side yesterday, what changed?"

With an impish grin, Seokjin replied, "Nothing," being sure to stretch each sound out in a teasing manner. You giggled, rolling your eyes at his childish response.

He's being so obvious.

The others at the table ate in silence, working on their homework while glancing up every once in awhile to see what was going on. They found the whole situation to be quite amusing. Seokjin, in love with some non-prestigious person? Rare.

However, there was one person at the table who seemed to not be enjoying the scene as much as the others-Areum. She was still sitting here became she seemed to figure that, since you were sitting here, she automatically had a right to as well. 

She had been eyeing Jimin, probably making him her next target.

Poor guy, having Areum throwing herself at him. Gross.

Examining her nails, Areum looked up at the two of you and remarked, "I never expected the two of you to get together. I mean, not that I have a problem with it or anything, but you're both so... different. I suppose it could have to do with the typical cliche of the two complete opposites. The prince and the pauper. The one from the rich, beautiful family. The one from the..."

You grimaced at her last comment, gritting your teeth. You spaced out, trapping yourself within your thoughts.

Why is Areum such a --? Why'd I tell her everything? Was I... am I really that stupid? To trust her like that?

"Hey, why'd you lose your ability to talk, to sing?"

"..."

"Anyways, I'll be sending you to an academy. A musical academy. Most people get in with talents, along with money. However, in your case... I'm sending you there through a lottery. We got the tuition for free."

On a whiteboard, you had written the words, 'Is it a boarding school? If it is, then I don't want to go.'

"No, it's not."

"..."

"Just... I've asked the school to make... certain accomodations. I've sent them clips of you singing before you stopped. They'll coax it out of you. They really admire your talents, so they were willing. But... until they do, you can't come home."

You had been pretty sure that your face at the time was one of complete shock.

"It's just, I want a child that I can be proud of. But you aren't being that by being mute."

"..."

"I know it was hard for you that your father died, but you have to step up, be a bigger person."

'I didn't know you were so cold,' you wrote, tears silently streaming down your face. You remembered the day that your father had passed on. He didn't just pass, either. He was murdered by loan sharks, and you watched him. You watched it happen through the floorboards that acted as a ceiling for your house's basement. You hadn't been able to say anything, to help him.

The doctors said that you had become mute due to trauma, and with therapy, your muteness could be 'cured'.

You knew that your mother, no, that lady, only wanted you to get your voice back so that you could make money with it. She didn't seem to care that your father had died. In fact, she seemed to be glad that there was one less mouth to feed. Now that you were at the school, there would be even less, only herself.

The school did everything to help you, and you eventually got it back, after multiple treatments and therapies. 

Your mother never came, though. The school informed you that she hadn't survived, but they paid off your father's debt. So in some ways, her selfishness protected you. The school wouldn't let a talent that they now bragged about disappear.

Still, you technically had nothing.

Seokjin poked your shoulder and shouted into your ear, "Hey! Are you okay?" You nearly jumped in your seat, looking around you for a clock. It had been five minutes since Areum made that comment.

"A-ah, yeah, sorry. Just thinking about the musical, and stuff. Um, I'm going to go to math to ask Mr. Park a que-"

Jimin interrupted, "You said that yesterday, though."

"Yeah, but..."

"It's just an excuse to get away from people, isn't it?"

Areum mouthed, 'weirdo' at you, before going back to batting her eyelashes at Seokjin.

Ugh.

The lunch bell rang, and you let out a low sigh of relief. Seokjin patted your shoulder before saying, "See you later! Look forward to it!"

Jimin smiled at you, waving, "Bye! See you after school, too!"

You took deep breaths, watching the others leave. Taehyung cleared his throat beside you, "Erm, since we're in the same math class, want to just go together?" Inclining your head slightly, you replied, "Sure, why not."

The two of you walked down the hallway together silently.

Silence was unexpected of Taehyung, but you accepted it gratefully.

In class, you had a difficult time concentrating. Your mind was filled with memories of the past. Even after you cleared it, all you could think about was Seokjin. Then...

The unknown texter.

Your mind flashed to a text that you had recieved earlier, telling you that it was the last day to 'stay away from Jinnie' before they'd take action. It was obvious that they were trying to move quickly now that the two of you were getting closer and the day of the musical was coming up. You hadn't told anyone about these texts yet, but you wondered if you should.

Who would I tell, though? Who do I trust?


a/n: That's a bit of character backstory ^^ I apologize if the flow wasn't great in this chapter, I was pretty tired while writing it. btw, have you seen BAP's new comeback?This is pretty late to comment on it, but it was amazing. <3

Thank you for reading, and I hope that as I wrap this up (I'm thinking just a few more chapters at this point, maybe 5?) I won't disappoint.

Who could unknown be? .u.