Influence

Love Is You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, what’s your plan for the opening of SFW tomorrow?” Jiyong asked Chaerin as soon as the employees left the conference room after their meeting concerning Chaerin’s proposal on building up ChaeJi foundation for the out of school and talented youth.

Two months had gone quickly like a bullet train to them. Chaerin feels like it was just yesterday when Dara influenced her on using her wealth on a proper way instead of wasting it on inessential materialistic things. The memory is still vivid to her that she can’t help but to think about it.

[<<] FLASHBACK

It’s one of those days where Chaerin’s just lazing off inside her office room, waiting for any updates from Jennie regarding their subsidiaries’ status in the local and international market.  As much as she’s in the mood of doing something related to their company, there’s nothing left for her to do. She had already finished signing all the documents needed for approval. She thought that she might have scared too much the board to the extent that they don’t let her do the actual work.

“If only Dara’s here.” Chaerin muttered and started scribbling down some random figures on the blank paper right in front of her.

It didn’t take long when something crossed her mind. She remembered that she saw these new collections from her favorite brands when she did some online store visits, and the thought of buying some items for her and Dara suddenly came to her.

Chaerin was cut off from her thoughts and stopped scribbling when her phone vibrated. A smile formed on her lips when she saw the name flashed on her screen. “Dara’s girlfriend, what can I do for you?”

She heard Dara chuckle on the other line and say, “You answered your phone fast. Aren’t you busy?”

She fiddled with the pen that she’s holding and replied, “I’m not. There’s nothing much left to do. Well, I’m actually on my way out to go shopping. Are you free right now?”

“Are you asking me to go out and waste your money for unnecessary things? No.” Dara blandly replied.

Chaerin frowned and said, “But I’m bored.”

Dara heaved a sigh and said, “Just go home or to my condo unit later and sleep. I’ll see you later.”

“But I wanted to see you already. Can you just see me now?” Chaerin whined like a little kid.

“No. I’m just taking a break right now actually. I just checked on you.” Dara said apologetically.

“Well, if that’s the case then I should be heading to the mall right now. I’m really bored, Dara-yah.” She complained.

“What? And you’ll spend money on inessential materialistic things? I know you have lots of money, Chaerin-ah but don’t you think you should use it in more useful ways?” Her girlfriend sounds like reprimanding her now.

“Uh, like what?” She asked innocently.

“Not all people are born like you. Just remember that.” Dara advised her. Then she heard someone, who sounded like her girlfriend’s manager calling her. Dara said, “I have to go, Chaerinnie. See you later! Love you.”

“Love you too.” Chaerin told her before the line was cut off.

And since that day, the idea of creating a charitable organization crossed her mind.

[>>] END OF FLASHBACK

She chose to play dumb and act like she didn’t heard Jiyong’s question. She knows that it might just only lead into another guilt-ridden conversation with him and she doesn’t want that, not right now when she’s trying to maintain her undisturbed and intact relationship with Dara.

Chaerin already told herself that she must not let herself get confused by her mind, by her supposed to be feelings for Jiyong. And she already made a promise to Dara that they won’t let Jiyong get in their way, even though she somehow broke that promise because of not telling her about that stupid mansion.

Even though that her eyes are set on her screen and keyboard, Chaerin can still see from her peripheral vision that Jiyong’s still looking at her, waiting for her to answer his question.

“Just show up for a moment and leave right after.” Chaerin said as she continued busying herself with her screen.

Jiyong jerked his head to the side and stared at Chaerin quizzically. He thinks that it will be the first time for his best friend to show up and just leave an event that she has been devoted to all her life, more than the devotion she  have on being an accountant by profession and Chairwoman by right.

“You’re not going to stay and socialize?” He asked her even he already knew what her answer is going to be. Jiyong can’t just easily accept the fact that Dara has more influence on Chaerin now than him, and he feels insecure about it.

“I guess I’ll just do that at the after party.” Chaerin made her response to her best friend the moment she has finished pointing out her suggestions and sending it to the PR and Finance teams concerning the presentation earlier.

“What if they’ll look for you?” He asked her again.

 If Jiyong’s just an ordinary acquaintance of her, Chaerin would absolutely think that he’s just asking a casual question. But since she and Jiyong have a long history together, she’s already aware that he’s trying to convince her to go and enjoy the fashion week. As much as she wanted to enjoy the show and socialize with those people who have same interests with her, she can’t. The situation is quite different now. Chaerin already told herself that if her previous relationship with Jiyong failed, then she wouldn’t with Dara this time. She has to make their relationship no matter how busy they are.

Chaerin closed her laptop and put it back inside its rightful face. She just shrugged her shoulders and replied to him casually. “Cover up for me.”

She decided to take a glance on her best friend when he didn’t make any subtle replies on her answer to his question. Chaerin saw the disappointment in Jiyong’s face. She sighed and said, “I’m sorry, Ji. But I need to spend some time with my girlfriend.”

“It’s okay. I understand. I almost forgot that you’re dating somebody else.” Jiyong said as she forced a smile on his lips.

“Ji.” Chaerin reprimanded him. She doesn’t want to see him like that, as not giving him another chance still makes her feel guilty.

Jiyong heaved a sigh and nodded. “Okay, okay. But can’t you at least go with me at the red carpet?”

“I will go with you even if you haven’t asked me.” She sincerely told him with a smile on her face.

“Really?” Jiyong said with now a real smile on his face.

Chaerin saw how her best friend’s eyes lighted up when she said those words and it made her feel happy, that somehow she could at least do something for her best friend. Before he could start expecting something from her again, she said, “Yeah. It’s already been a habit going to fashion shows with you and I think I’ll never get used to taking interviews without you.”

“Well, I’m flattered, but what about Dara-ssi?” He responded to her words professionally, putting his insecurity away at this moment.

Chaerin paused for a moment and filtered her words. She just can’t say anything to him as it could either hurt him or make him do something not good.

She leaned on her chair’s backrest and nonchalantly said, “She’s going to participate in the opening. We’ll be leaving right after she walks in the ramp.”

“Okay.” He briefly replied.

Chaerin raised her eyebrow at his sudden meekness. “Is that the only reason why you’re here?”

“Ah, right. I almost forgot. Here.” Jiyong said as he handed over to Chaerin a brown envelope.

“What’s this?” Chaerin asked in curiosity as she retrieved the envelope from him. She opened it and gets surprised as soon as she sees the document.

Jiyong snorted when he saw the flabbergasted look on his best friend’s face. He feels glad that he could still make her surprised even if it’s only this way.  “It’s the deed of the property. I transferred all of my rights in your name.”

“You didn’t have to do this.” Chaerin rendered speechless as she looked at Jiyong in concern.

“It’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter