Blue Gratitude

Delivery Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 2016

 

Just like obvious song lyrics

Leaning against the windows of public buses

As much as I tried to think, no lyrics came to me

Observing the strangers walking past

Yet I'm alone

 

Off.

She couldn't explain it, but her day was feeling slightly off. Even her movements were off, she noticed as she looked at the classroom's mirror.

"Son ssem, gwenchanayo?" And there was the small stream of students starting to flow in for their lesson.

"I'm fine, don't worry. Let's put our stuff down and stretch, huh?" The lesson continued normally after that, Soohyun ignoring the off feeling she had for the kids sake. It still nagged her though.

"Son ssem?"

"What can I do for you?"

"Can you bend down? I can't reach you." He didn't look happy about admitting it.

She blinked with confusion at his odd request, but complied. Maybe he wanted to whisper it to her, he was one of her quieter kids. "Is that better?"

"Mm." He nodded satisfied, before he reached over and ruffled her hair. Okay, she wasn't expecting that. "You did good, Son ssem."

"Ah... thank you." She didn't realize just how much she was expecting that. Usually from-

"Moon ssem said to give that to you if Son ssem did a good job. But Son ssem always does a good job."

"Aigoo, only because I have such talented little dancers." She affectionately returned the gesture with a laugh, making him blush. The other kids noticed the exchange.

"Son ssem! Did I do good too?"

"Son ssem's always the best!"

"Nuh uh, Son ssem's the bestest!" 

They clamored for her attention, Soohyun dealing with them all with a well worn patience. Good thing she was used to hyperactive personalities.

Unnies... work hard over there...

 

Occasionally I see myself in the window

only able to small reflections

it's really terrible-looking

Thinking about how I looked, I tightly shut my eyelids

Listen to this song first

When I think about you

my once cold inner self has now been filled with warmth

The fact that "I'm not the only one"

I feel grateful that "you are here"

 

After a long day of work and catching up with Hayi and the others, Soohyun was on the midnight bus home. She leaned against the window, catching a glimpse of her tiny reflection. She looked sleepy, more than a little tired... and just a bit lonesome. She could just imagine Yongsun unnie chiding her about getting more sleep, Wheein unnie cheerfully suggesting a sleepover, Byulyi unnie soothingly running her fingers through her hair, and Hyejin unnie gently pushing her head down on her shoulder to rest.

"Make sure our dongsaeng's comfortable, Hyejin."

"You look really sleepy, Soohyunie."

"Soohyun-ah needs her beauty sleep. Not that she needs much."

"Unnie, I'm fine-" She couldn't help her yawn.

"We'll wake you up when we're home, little lamb."

"Promise?"

"We promise, Soohyun-ah. Sleep." She felt Yongsun unnie softly closing her eyes.

"Nighty night, Soohyunie."

Half of the time they'd wake her up, the other half she would find herself in bed the next morning, face clean of last night's makeup. The gesture was thoughtful and sweet, so she went out of her way to make a big breakfast and bashfully invite them in, making sure that Garfield-ah was kept out of the general area. For Hyejin unnie's allergies sake. But then they ruined it by making byun comments.

"Your face is really soft, Soohyunie! That must mean everything else of you is too!"

She felt her face turn its customary red around them.

"It is. I was carrying her on my back, remember? Such a mature body our tiny Soohyun-ah has..."

Was it possible for all of her blood to rush to her face?

"Equally good taste in underwear too. I never thought that the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter