Yuri's Birthday

Love Me or Die
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dreadful day had finally arrived; Yuri’s birthday was going to be celebrated today since they didn’t want to have the celebration in the hospital – it was completely unethical. Yuri was desperate to know if Yoona was going to turn up because if she wasn’t, then Yuri didn’t want to celebrate her birthday either; it would be meaningless if she couldn’t celebrate with her beloved.

“What’s with that face?”

Yuri turned around and found Tiffany leaning against the wall with her arms crossed over her chest, a broad smile plastered on her face. “Hi, Fany…” Yuri greeted softly, welcoming the nurse with a hug. Tiffany didn’t need to be a genius to know that there was something wrong with Yuri and she sighed, “Yoona still hasn’t visited you yet?”

Ever since Yuri had confessed that she was going to turn herself in, Yoona hadn’t come to see her though she was aware that physiotherapy was going to be tougher. Yuri couldn’t blame Yoona; all Yoona wanted was for them to get back together and start everything afresh – there was nothing threatening Yoona’s well-being anymore. Now that Yoona might lose her again… it was merely a defence mechanism for her to avoid Yuri.

“Is it wrong for me to turn myself in, Fany?” Yuri sat on the edge of the bed and stared at the scenery outside the window, “I just don’t want to spend the rest of my life wondering if I killed him or not…”

Tiffany was no philosopher, neither was she a psychologist but it was clear that Yuri preferred to have a clear conscience over true happiness and it made Tiffany proud – it was so difficult to find someone who would choose conscience over happiness. It was going to be difficult for her to convince Yoona that Yuri was doing the right thing, especially when Yoona loved her so much, to point where she couldn't live without Yuri. 

“I don’t want you to go to jail, Yul…” Tiffany sat beside Yuri on the bed and pulled the younger one into her arms, “not for someone like him; it’s not worth it and I don’t want Yoona to ever regret loving you.”

The mere mention of Yoona’s regret was enough to unblock the floodgates of Yuri’s eyes and she started crying into Tiffany’s neck, hoping she’d feel better after a good cry. Tiffany bit on her lower lip as she tried to hold back her own tears; it was so difficult to not feel upset when someone as strong as Yuri was crying like a baby – it was so painful to hear and watch.

“We’re going to celebrate your birthday tonight… and I want you to make the best of it.”

Yuri detached her head from Tiffany’s neck and looked up with a confused expression, “Huh?”

And she was responded with a smile.

 

 

---

 

 

“Happy birthday, Yuri!”

“Happy birthday, Corn Yuwree!”

“Happy birthday, darling!”

Everyone showered her with birthday wishes, hugs, bashes as well as kisses but they were not coming from the person she wanted it to come from. Yuri had never found it so difficult to fake a smile before but she was experiencing the real pain of masking her sadness. As to how both she and Yoona used to do it in the past, Yuri was at a loss – how did she ever do it without Yoona?

“Umma…”

Mrs Kwon couldn’t help but crack a small smile when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist, “you should be outside entertaining your friends, sweetheart. Why are you cosying up to Umma like this?” Yuri frowned and nuzzled her nose into Mrs Kwon’s shoulder, “but the person I want to see the most isn’t here…” Mrs Kwon shook her head and planted a soft kiss on her daughter’s crown.

“And who is that person?”

Yuri's arms loosened automatically at the sound of the person's voice; she was here. Her feet were rooted to the ground, as if there was an invisible force pulling her back from moving her limbs. Mrs Kwon quietly made her exit and turned back to face the two once more, chuckling when she saw how nervous Yuri was - Yuri would always be a er for Yoona.

Yoona carefully observed Yuri's actions and realised how nervous Yuri was; her hands were trembling and so were her lips. It broke Yoona's heart to see Yuri try to keep her emotions in even though it was just the both of them here - it was so like Yuri to do that in order to stop herself from looking vulnerable. 

“Yul, aren’t you going to let me wish you a happy birthday?”

Yuri shook her head.

This kid, Yoona sighed. She moved to where Yuri was standing and turned the tanned woman to face her. Noting that Yuri was not going to look up, Yoona placed a hand behind Yuri's neck and made Yuri rest her head on her shoulder. Yuri shakily s her arms around Yoona's waist and pulled her closer, closing the gap between their bodies.

“Happy birthday, Yul.”

That soft whisper made Yuri tremble more; Yoona sounded so angelic and loving that it made Yuri feel loads of emotions at once. She nuzzled her face deeper into Yoona’s neck, her arms tightening around Yoona’s waist

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter