Operation

Love Me or Die
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Yoona heard the forbidden words ‘Code Red’  leave Tiffany’s mouth; she knew all surgeons were brought back in to aid the operation. She wanted to complain but at the same time she knew she couldn’t, because these people didn’t ask to get into accidents and put their lives on their line like that. 

There was absolutely no time to waste if that was the case. Yoona hung up and headed to her room to throw on a coat or a jacket to make herself look decent at least. With that done, she charged to her car like never before and sped out into the night. 

Yet, there was this aching feeling that was echoing in her chest… Yoona wasn’t sure she was comfortable with it.

Okay, going over the speed limit was something she wouldn’t do normally but for a situation like this, she figured it was reasonable and accelerated even more. Yoona was fretting, because her eyelid was starting to twitch as she was approaching the tunnel. It didn’t help that her phone started to ring at the same time; Yoona softly sighed and took her headphone, receiving the call efficiently, “Hello?”

“Yoong?!”

“Daddy?” Yoona furrowed her eyebrows, “why are you calling me at this time of the night?”

“D-Did you s-see the news…?”

Why in the world was everyone asking her that question? Everyone knows that as a doctor, watching the news was something they didn't have much time to do. Emergencies were happening everyday and before they could even find time to eat, they would be called back to the hospital. As a top surgeon, her load was even heavier. 

“No, Daddy. Why?”

Mr Im’s face paled instantly; so his daughter hasn’t seen the news yet. Yoona couldn’t have been so calm after watching the news, now he understood why she was behaving normally. His heart broke when he watched the news along with his elder daughter, Yoonhee. There were so many pent-up emotions that he couldn’t express and if Yoona watched the news, he didn’t think she would be able to take it.

“W-When you go…. Watch…. S-Strong….”

Yoona was getting really annoyed with the interference with the signals because it was cutting off her father’s reply and she didn’t know what in the world he was so worried about - it was making her insecure. She stopped her car at the last lane and sent a text to her father, apologising for cutting off the call and the reasons for hanging up. 

Just then, a text that could have caused her a heart attack came in. 

 

To: Yoona

Yoona, we need you at the hospital right away. You're the only neurosurgeon available at the moment and we have a patient that needs the operation urgently. We've already patched up her minor injuries, it's just the major operation left.

From: Ryeowook

 

Yoona might not have made things clear the first time round; she was a specialized neurosurgeon but she rarely did operations in that area. To put it very honestly, she could handle most operations but her studies in neurology went the furthest hence she specialized in that area. So to receive a sudden message like this; it was more than shocking and it alerted her to how severe the situation was.

There was no need to respond to the message. 

Yoona would be there in seven minutes.

 

-

 

Tiffany was pacing along the hallway in panic; she was the nurse-in-charge for tonight, which meant she was going to have to break some news to all family members whether it was good or bad. That was the only reason why she was not satisfied with her job sometimes; she had to see the way families broke down when they received bad or tragic news - it was heartbreaking, to say the least.

Another reason why she was especially jumpy today was because Yoona hadn't arrived, neither has she watched the news - which also meant she had to break some bad news to Yoona.

“FANY!”

Oh God.

This was another person she hoped she wouldn’t have to face.

“STEPHANIE HWANG!!”

Okay, make that two people she didn’t want to face.

Tiffany turned around to find Taeyeon and Jessica running towards her with shocked and terrified faces. “Hey, you two…” Tiffany uttered, her gaze fixated on the ground as she tried to keep her tears back, “I know you’re worried but I have nothing to say at the moment. Her surgery is still on hold, the surgeon hasn't come in but she's on the way here right now.” 

Taeyeon collapsed into the nearest seat, burying her face into her palms as she thought of her best friend lying in the operating theatre. Jessica immediately started to cry all over again, her face dug deeply into Tiffany's shoulder as she held onto her girlfriend's waist - yeah, Jessica and Tiffany were dating. Tiffany knew her girlfriend was terribly upset over her best friend's condition but there was really nothing she could do, the neurosurgeon wasn't here yet.

“FANY! SHE’S HERE!”

The nurse quickly bid goodbye to Jessica and Taeyeon as well as the other family members who had gathered for the other victims, heading into the operating theatre immediately. 

 

Yoona has never changed into her surgical attire so quickly but today was a first, simply stripping off her jacket and throwing the surgical gown over her body. She was so busy checking her attire and the equipment that she didn't even realise who the heck it was lying on the operating table, waiting for her to save her. She also didn't manage to register the worried looks her colleagues were giving her as she read thrrough the statistics on the clipboard. 

It was only when another doctor, Yunho approached her gently to check on her did she realise something was wrong.

“Yoona?” Yunho said in a gentle tone, “you don’t have to do this operation if you don’t want to. I can always take over. She’s my friend too but I think I can manage slightly better.” Yoona turned around with furrowed eyebrows for the nth time tonight, she still couldn’t understand why everyone was so worried for her. “What do you mean, Yunho-oppa?”

It was Yunho’s turn to be confused; he whispered, “you didn’t watch the news this evening when you got home?” Yoona shook her head and turned around to face him fully; she was lost and she wasn’t going to let this go like that. “Come on, Yunho-oppa. People have been asking me that the whole night and I’m sick of it! Tell me what’s wrong and stop making me guess like that!” 

Everyone turned to look at the two friends slash surgeons, albeit afraid of the tension between Yoona and Yunho. Yoona knew she shouldn't have shouted at him like that but it was really getting to her; her bad feeling was only intensifying and it wasn't going well. Yoona noticed the sympathetic look on all of their faces and felt her heart being squeezed by an unknown force... please don't tell me I know the person lying there.

 

“Yoona, the person that got into an accident is… Yuri.” 

 

Pin-drop silence. All that was heard in the room was everyone's soft breathing and it was driving Yoona crazy. She was starting to think she was going nuts too, thinking that she had been hallucinating when she heard that name. She started to chuckle and laugh aloud at herself, knowing that her mind was playing tricks on her. 

“All of you are joking, right? It can’t be Yuri on that table… she’s been ov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter