Chapter Seven

Famous in Love

"I CAN'T BELIEVE MY BEST FRIEND IS GOING TO BE FAMOUS!"

I impulsively flinch away from my phone, gaining a few curious looks from the people sitting nearby inside the cafe. 

"Why are you always so loud?" I hiss back, "Besides, it's just a trial period. It's not the real deal yet." Although, I did have to sign a contract with her for the next three months, which I guess you could say is somewhat official. For now at least.

"So? This opportunity is amazing! You're getting yourself out there, and that's exactly what you need right now!"

I smile while I sip my coffee. "I suppose. It's all thanks to you."

"Well that's what manager's are for, am I right?"

"You're absolutely crazy, you know that?" We both laugh through the phone, reminding me of the times when we would stay up all night talking and fangirling about boys.

"But hey, I gotta go. My ma' keeps bugging me to pick up my little brother from soccer practice. Talk to you soon?"

"Okay, girl. Thanks again for everything!" I end the call and take another sip of my coffee, before turning my attention back to the magazine in my hands. 

I've never been one to keep up with the tabloids and celebrity gossip, so I was simply just flipping through the pages without any interest, until a certain article caught my attention.

Producers begin their search for lead actress to star in GOT7's new music video set to film in LA.

My curiosity spiked, and I continued to read. 

Director David Wang announces casting call in hopes of finding their leading lady. Filming is scheduled to start later this month.

Interesting...

"Could I offer you another coffee?"

I peel my eyes away from the magazine and glance up to find a cute busboy waiting for my response.

"I'm good, thankyou." I smile back at him, "I think I'm ready for the check."

"Don't worry about it. It's on us." He winks at me and walks away, leaving a faint blush on my cheeks.

After leaving the cafe, I take a bus ride back to Hidden Hills and walk my way around the neighborhood, enjoying the warm weather and admiring all the beautiful houses.

It's still hard for me to believe that I live here. Granted, I know it's not permanent, but for the meantime, I get to call this place my home. Weird.

Without warning, a red convertible drives up and stops right next to me. 

"Could I offer a pretty lady like yourself a ride?"

I continue to walk straight ahead. "My mom told me not to talk to strangers."

The car continues to follow, "Come on baby, don't be like that. I promise I'll show you a good time."

I roll my eyes and stop to look at Mark. "Your disgusting."

"Feisty. I like that."

I ignore him and proceed to put as much distance between us as possible, but again, he trails beside me and pushes the passenger door open. "Seriously though, get in."

"Why?" I exasperate and he stares blankly at me in return. 

"Uh, because I said so?"

"Because you said so?" I mock him and scoff with sarcasm, "Your cute."

He gives in, "There's paparazzi surrounding the house."

"So?"

"So if they see you go in, next thing you know, your name will be trending on twitter and we'll both be on the cover of some stupid magazine for another dating scandal." 

I ponder for a moment, "You know, I've always wanted to be on the cover of a magazine."

"Goddamn it, Luna. Just get in the car."

"If I do, will you stop bothering me?"

"Yes." His cheeky smile is almost childlike.

"Fine" I sigh and sit in the passenger seat, against my will ofcourse.

He fixes his sunglasses and hands me a pair, "Put these on."

"Why?"

Mark exhales a long breath of annoyance, "Because if I'm going out in public, I can't have people recognizing who I am or who I'm with. I'm a celebrity, remember?"

"How could I forget?" I grumble underneath my breath as I slide the glasses on before reading the logo on the side. Versace.

Gripping the wheel with only one hand, he puts gas to the metal, and before I know it, we're weaving in and out of the neighborhood until we reach the front gate. 

"Where are we going?" I inquire, and he gives me a side glance.

"You ask too many questions." He was obviously irritated by the tone in his voice, but I on the other hand, found his ill-temper funny.

We drove in silence up until we got on the highway, and I decided to take the initiative and turn on the radio. Flipping through the stations, I find a good song and leave it on, but it was cut short when Mark turns it back off.

I turn it back on.

He glares at me and lowers the volume all the way down.

I smirk at him and raise the volume all the way up.

He gives me a look and mutters something, but I couldn't hear him over my loud and obnoxious singing.

"♫CAUSE BABY NOW WE'VE GOT BAD BLOOD. YOU KNOW IT USED TO BE MAD LOVE. SO TAKE A LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE, CAUSE BABY NOW WE'VE GOT BAD BLO-- " Mark turns off the radio, again.

"Hey, I was listening to that." I whined.

"Do you want to walk back home?" He snapped, scowling at me through his sunglasses.

"No." I whisper as I slouch back into my seat defeatedly, and catch his lips curving into a slight smile.

We drive through a series of turns and inclines, getting farther away from downtown and closer to the mountains. Mark diverges the car onto an off-road surrounded by rocks and trees, the elevation increasing by the second, until we reach a clearing at the top. 

He parks on the dirt and gets out of the car after unbuckling his seat-belt, and I follow behind him.

"I've seen this before." I tell him and he looks back at me. 

"You have?"

I nod my head while I take in my surroundings, "Isn't this the scene right before the murderer kidnaps his victim?"

He narrows his eyes at me and speaks sarcastically. "Funny." He continues to walk ahead, while I struggle to keep up behind his fast pace. 

We were nearing a cliff, until Mark stops and sits on top of a giant boulder close to the edge. When I reach the stone, I find myself absolutely speechless at the sight before me.

It was a scenic overlook of the entire city, and it was absolutely breathtaking. From this height, you could see everything from the metropolitan skyline to the suburban and residential areas. In the distance, the Hollywood sign sat on top of the mountains that encompass Los Angeles, and the clouds hovered just above the horizon.

It was a sight for sore eyes, and chills ran all over my body as I took in the beautiful landscape. 

This view was something that I had only seen in movies. But seeing it in person?

I felt as though I was on top of the world.

"I like to come here and get away from everything." Mark spoke softly as his eyes scanned the field of range, "It helps me clear up my mind."

I take a seat next to him on the rock and continue to appreciate mother nature and her mesmerizing features, the wind feeling nice and cool against my skin.

He was right. I felt at peace, as opposed to the fast and hectic lifestyle that is LA. I can see why he, of all people, would enjoy a place like this. I never really thought about what it must be like, to be as famous as he is. I suppose it must be tiring at times.

"Why are you here, exactly?" Mark breaks the silence.

I sat there for a moment, unsure of what to say. If I lie and tell him about UCLA, he would find out eventually, so I decide to tell him the truth.

I pick up a small pebble and toss it around in my hands, "I want to be an actress." 

He turns to me and snickers, "You? An actress?" 

My face turns serious, "Yes."

He opens his mouth as if he were to say something, but thinks better not to. And instead, he takes the pebble from my hand and analyzes it. "You used to say that you wanted to follow in your dad's footsteps."

The mention of my father puts me a little tense, "Yeah well a lot can change in six years." 

He studies me intently, but I ignore him as I bring my attention back to the scenery; the sky had turned a mirage of colors, as the sun was just about to set.

I fight the urge to ask him any of the questions that had been burning at my mind ever since I moved here. I don't want him to get the wrong idea, but I can't stop myself from wondering.

Why didn't you tell me why you were leaving?

Why didn't you call when I left you voicemail's?

Why did you forget about me the moment that you left?

And there's a small part inside of me dying to tell him all about these past few years. I'd like nothing more than to catch up with him; tell him stories about my family, about school, about friends.

I glance up at Mark to find that his eyes are closed, as he focuses on simply breathing in the sweet aroma of the atmosphere. He seems so calm and tranquil, without a care in the world.

I take the opportunity to study him; the way his eyelashes rest ever so slightly against his cheekbones, the way his blonde hair shines with pink undertones, the way he composes himself as he breathes in and out as though nothing else matters.

For a moment, he genuinely looked like him--like the boy I once knew.  

And I can't help but wonder if he's still there, somewhere beneath this unfamiliar exterior.

Or have I lost him for good?