Chapter Four

Famous in Love

There were so many emotions coursing through my body at the moment.

How in the world did I end up in this situation?

His parents singlehandedly suggested I'd come live in their house, completely knowing that it was occupied by Mark. And then they coincidentally forget to mention this to either of us? For crying out loud, had I known this prior, I probably wouldn't have flown thousands of miles just to live under the same roof with someone who honestly could care less about me.

The feeling of embarrassment was also creeping up in the back of my mind as I thought about how I barged into someone else's house. And the fact that it just happened to be Mark, makes the matter that much worse. 

I buried my head into the palms of my hands. "What am I going to do?" I exhaled as I tried to find a solution to my now homeless situation.

I need to talk to him.

Preferably after I've changed into some proper clothes, considering the fact that I'm still wearing only a bath robe...

Oh my lord. I bathed in his bathroom.

Yep. I've officially reached the height of my humiliation.

After putting on a pair of sweatpants and slipping into my favorite sweater, I go back downstairs to the living room in hopes of finding him there, but see him outside instead, walking around aimlessly as he vigorously talks through the phone.

He looks mad.

Can't blame him. Hell, I'd be mad too if my parents pulled a stunt like that.

I cautiously go outside and sit on one of the patio sofa's, and patiently wait for him to finish his phone call.

Dear god how do I go about this?

I look up at the sky and find a clear view of the stars and the moon. A faint memory brings a smile to my lips, but I push it to the side before it consumes me.

I glance at Mark, who still seems to be engrossed in conversation.

Although he acted like a complete earlier, I suppose I should apologize. But it's not my fault I was kept in oblivion.

Mark finally drops his phone to the side and walks over to sit across from me. "You have some explaining to do."

Here goes nothing.

I took a deep breath. "I didn't know, okay?" I said reluctantly, "Your parents never mentioned anything about you living here." I paused, "So I'm sorry for barging into your house... and breaking your cup."

He stayed silent.

If Mark kicks me out, there's no chance I'd last long here in LA. I'd have to kiss my dreams goodbye and move back in with my parents.

I can't let that happen.

"I literally have nowhere else to go," I continued, "I came here on a one-way ticket to start a new life. I can't go back." I pleaded.

His eyes burned a hole in me, but I tried my best to stay composed.

And just when I thought he would show no mercy, his face slightly softened. "Fine."

I perched up. "Seriously?"

"Don't get any ideas, okay? I don't really have another choice." He glared down at the phone in his hand. "My dad seems to think you'll 'bring me back down to my roots.'" He scoffed, "Whatever that means." Mark rolled his eyes.

So that's who he was talking to.

He leaned back into his chair. "Anyways, I suppose I was a little harsh earlier." He glanced down at the ground, "Sorry about that."

I exhaled a sigh of relief. "It's fine. Given the circumstances, I probably would've reacted the same."

"Yeah." Was all he said.

There was an awkward pause between us, and I felt the need to say something. "So... how have you been?"

His eyes shot at mine. "Just because we live under the same roof now, doesn't mean I want to repair whatever friendship we had. The house is big enough, let's keep confrontation and small talk to a minimum." And with that, he left to go back inside the house.

Damn. Sorry for asking, .

But at least now I don't have to worry about finding some other place to stay.

I sat outside for a little while, enjoying the cool temperature and admiring the full moon. I've always had a fascination with the stars. It's something that Mark and I used to have in common.

After about ten minutes, I go back inside and remember the broken glass from earlier. With intentions of cleaning it up, I head to the kitchen, but to my surprise, find the floor to be completely spotless. 

That kid is not as bad as he makes himself out to be.

I stifle a yawn as my eyes get drowsy. It's been a long day.

I find my way to an empty bedroom and claim it mine, hurling all my luggage with me. 

As my body collapses onto the soft satin duvet covers of the king sized bed, sleep begins to find it's way in control.

*Knock. Knock.*

"Ughhhh." I groggily get out of bed. What does he want now?

"Yes?" I answer the door.

"Did you forget something?" Mark stares back at me, and when I glance down, I see him holding a very familiar black bra.

Oh my god.

I quickly snatched it from his hand."Goodnight." I said with a sudden involuntary high pitch, and hastily closed the door. 

I could hear him laughing from the other side.

My cheeks begin to burn as I stand there in shock, dying from embarrassment. 

"This boy is going to be the death of me."