Chapter Fourteen

Famous in Love

By the time we left, it was already getting dark outside. We had stopped at a local Chinese restaurant and ordered our food to-go, and we were now on our way back home.

"Can I ask you something?" I said softly.

Mark nodded, but kept his eyes on the road, "Sure." He hesitated.

Here goes nothing.

"Why did you get so mad when that guy took our picture?"

That question had been burning at my mind all day. I just couldn't seem to shake it off.

He stammered as he tried to give me an answer, "I have to be cautious of bad publicity."

"So being seen with me is considered bad publicity?"

"I didn't mean it like that." He tried to correct himself in order to save my feelings, but it was already too late.

"It's okay, I get it." I told him.

He sighed deeply, "No, you don't."

I twist in my seat to face him, "Then explain it to me." I press on, gently.

He turns into the driveway of his mansion, and shuts off the engine of the car before turning towards me. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the memory card from earlier and places it in my hand, "These tiny things have the power to ruin someone's career within seconds." He pauses, "Photographs are the easiest form of manipulation. And if your not careful, you can easily be blackmailed because of them."

I continued to stare at the small black square in the palm of my hands.

Although what he said was true, I know that deep down, the only reason he was so reluctant about those pictures was because of the simple fact that they were with me.

It was obvious in his eyes, and I knew him too damn well enough to know that he was only trying to cover up the truth.

But what exactly was the truth?

That he doesn't want to drag me into his world? That he wants to protect me from it?

Or could it be that I'm not good enough? That I could never measure up to his level? That I'm not 'famous' enough for him?

I swallow my tongue from saying anything I might end up regretting.

"I understand." I tell him. But in reality, I was even more confused than ever.

He reaches over and unbuckles my seat belt, before playfully ruffling my hair, "Come on, our food is going to get cold."

He gets out of the car and walks around to the passenger door and opens it for me.

Now he's being a gentlemen? Jesus christ, this boy doesn't know when to stop, does he? If he keeps this up, I may find myself falling for him a lot harder than I expected.

"I'll help you with that." Mark grabs my purse, along with the take-out boxes.

This is dangerous. I'm falling too fast.

". My keys are in my pocket. Can you get them for me?" He says once we reach the front door.

"Oh, uh...yeah." I awkwardly reach down into his pants, but find nothing.

"No, it's the other one." He shifts his weight to the opposite side, his arms full with all the things he was carrying.

I extend my hand again into his other pocket, but only find his wallet.

"You know what, I think it's actually in my left front pocket."

Again, nothing.

"Did I say left? I meant right."

I give him a look before sliding my hand back into his pants to only pull out a pack of gum.

"Oh, I just realized they were in my hands the entire time. Thanks anyways, babe." He winks at me before unlocking the door and entering the house, his laugh echoing through the hallway as I stood there speechless.

Did I just get ing played?

Yes.

Yes I did.

"Your unbelievable." I say as I close the door behind me, "You know that?"

"I just like to have a little fun." Mark chuckles to himself, "Sue me."

I roll my eyes at him, but I can't stop myself from laughing.

He places the food on the counter, and grabs some utensils as well as some drinks. "Do you want to eat in the living room or upstairs in the movie theater?"

"Do you even have to ask?" I cross my arms at him, and he chuckles when when he sees the look on my face.

"Movie theater it is."

• • • • •

We had just finished our fourth episode of Family Guy when Mark broke the silence between us.

"So are you excited?"

I pulled in my knees to my chest and wrapped myself tighter with my blanket, "For what?"

"For the music video." He says after turning off the giant tv screen.

"You have no idea." I smiled as I rested my chin on my knees. "I still can't believe it."

He tugs on my blanket and I roll my eyes at him before giving in and sharing the comforter.

We sat there for a while, both of us deep in thought. But it was a comfortable silence, and that alone made me feel warm inside, despite the freezing temperature in the room.

"How is your family?"

His question caught me off guard.

"Good." I was short with my answer, but he didn't press on, which I silently thanked him for it.

When we were younger, Mark knew about the relationship that I had with my parents. I spoke to him many times about the things that happened behind closed doors. He was always there for me whenever I needed him, and that's something that I will always be thankful for, despite how things may have ended up between us.

I hadn't realized the change of atmosphere between us until now. When I first moved here, he was cold and indifferent towards me. But now? I feel as though he may be opening up to me again. It makes me happy to think that there's still hope to rekindle our friendship.

That is, if I don't let my feelings get in the way.

Speaking of which, how exactly do I feel?

It's hard to ignore the way my heart seems to race every time I'm near him.

Or the way I seem to easily get flustered when he smiles at me.

Or the simple fact that I currently find myself struggling to calm down my nerves just because we're both sharing the same blanket.

The weird thing is, I don't remember ever feeling like this six years ago. But then again, Mark has changed. I've changed. For better, or for worse, but we are both completely different people.

There's a side of me that Mark has yet to meet.

"What are you thinking about?"

I hadn't noticed that he was looking at me intently, his eyes scanning my face as though he were trying to read my mind. I hesitated as I tried to come up with an answer.

"It's okay. You don't have to tell me."

I sighed, ultimately giving in. "I'm thinking about us." I told him truthfully, and his expression changed with curiosity. "About how things have changed."

Mark furrowed his eyebrows together in apprehension, and for a moment, I wondered if maybe I shouldn't have told him that.

"Oh." Was all he said.

Way to go, Luna. Way to ruin the mood.

I waited for him to say something, anything. But he just sat there, deep in his thoughts and in his own world.

And the more time passed by, the stronger my anxiety became.

"I'm sorry..."

I stared at him, relieved that he had finally broken the silence, but confused about the meaning of his words.

"...about everything."

My heart stopped.

No, scratch that- everything stopped.

It was as if time had paused, and all of my worries had drifted away as I stared back at the boy who I once called my second half.

"I waited six years for you to say those words." My voice was barely audible, as I was physically shaken by his confession.

Six years is a ing long time to wait.

He took a hold of my hand and interlaced his fingers with mine, his thumb slowly tracing circles against my skin. "I know." He whispered.

In that moment, all the memories I had pushed away began to resurface, and a sense of relief washed over me.

He's back.

My best friend is back.

I could no longer hide my emotions.

"Hey." He lifted my chin and wiped a stray tear that had escaped, "I'm right here, okay?"

I pressed my cheek into the palm of his hand, closing my eyes as the tears flowed down, "You don't know how much I missed you."

He gave me a soft smile as he brushed away the loose strands of hair out of my face, his other hand still intertwined with mine, "We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow. You should get some rest."

I nodded, but I stayed frozen in the same spot, as I feared that if I walked away, this would all disappear and it would end up being just a dream.

He chuckled when I didn't move. "We have plenty of time to catch up, don't worry." He reassured me, and I lingered for a moment before getting up.

"Goodnight, Mark."

"Sweet dreams, Luna."

• • • • • •

I was getting ready for bed after taking a long and much needed shower, when I realized I still had the memory card Mark had given me earlier this afternoon in the car.

I should return this, I'm sure he's gonna want it back. But not before I see how great the pictures came out.

I pull out my laptop and insert the memory card, and soon enough, the photographs began to load one by one.

"Damn."

If I didn't know any better, I'd say we looked like a real couple.

The thought sent butterflies in my stomach.

"Okay, Luna. Stop fantasizing." I told myself, as I removed the SD-card.

I slipped on my oversized jacket, pulled my wet hair into a tight pony tail, and made my way towards his room.

I lightly tapped on his door which was slightly opened, "Hey Mark, I forgot to give this ba--"

I stopped mid sentence when I heard him talking on the phone.

"She's gonna be in for a surprise." He chuckled.

As wrong as it was, I pressed my ear against the door in an effort to listen, due to my sudden spike of interest.

"It was hard, but I think I got away with it."

I wonder what he's talking about?

"No, she doesn't suspect anything."

Or better yet, who.

"Luna is completely oblivious, I made sure of it."

My stomach dropped when I heard my name.

What the hell is he talking about?

"Today went just as planned."

Wait.

What the ?

My heartbeat was slowly increasing as my breathing became rigid.

"I'm just glad I don't have to keep pretending."

His words made me feel as though my world was crumbling down once again, and I ran off before I could hear anything else.

My mind was scattered with thoughts as I shut the bedroom door behind me. My heart was pumping with anxiety as I tried to grasp on what I had just heard.

Luna is completely oblivious.

Today went just as planned.

I think I got away with it.

His words echoed vividly in my head, and I felt as though the air was thinning around me.

He had been lying to me all this time?

"I'm so ing stupid!" I threw my head back as the tears of frustration threatened to escape.

I ing believed him.

Today was just a fabrication of his lies. None of it meant anything to Mark, and the thought of that absolutely killed me.

Then why would he set me up with that audition?

She's gonna be in for a surprise?

I sure as hell don't plan on finding out.

Anger began to consume me and I balled my hands into fist, but a small sharp object pierced through my right palm.

Right then, an idea popped into my head.

I hastily jumped on my bed, pulled my laptop back out, inserted the memory card back in, and began to work on my revenge.

It's one thing to mess with my feelings.

But with my career?

That's one very thin line that can NEVER be crossed.

And Mark just ing demolished it.